ImageImageImageImageImage

All things Bynum's injury thread. Out 8-12 weeks.

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

vinnycorleone
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: All things Bynum's injury thread. Out 8-12 weeks. 

Post#121 » by vinnycorleone » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:30 am

Bynum will be back this year! Book it!
B_Y_N_U_M
Junior

Post#122 » by B_Y_N_U_M » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:37 am

vinnycorleone wrote:Bynum will be back this year! Book it!

Does anyone read the previous posts???????????

Well I know some of you do, but gee!!

I just stated that He was interviewed on Sports Center and said, that he will definitely be back this year and his fear when it happened was that he wouldn't be able to come back like last year, but he will be back and he has to stay in shape and eat right so when he comes back, he will be ready......

then they asked Phil about Home Court and Phil said he thinks that can still capture Home Court.........was a quick 3 minute segment or so.............

But to recap, Bynum was on Sports Center and he said he will be back, he is gonna stay in shape and make sure he eats right and went it is time he will be ready. Phil said home court is still achievable.
Il_Devo
Junior

Post#123 » by Il_Devo » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:37 am

vinnycorleone wrote:Bynum will be back this year! Book it!

I HOPE HE IS!!!!

I want to see Oden and Roy take it to the Lakers at full strength in the WCF!
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#124 » by Danny Darko » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:41 am

Il_Devo wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:= board ban.... say goodbye to the laker board.

No trolling or inciting, I welcome open discussion but this is unacceptable and foolish.

Trolling and inciting on a sensitive issue. expect a pm when the suspension has been decided upon.

You mean like how you and the rest of the Laker board did the same thing when Oden got injured last year and earlier this year?

Nice double-standard going on here.

Of course I don't wish physical injury on someone...

I don't remember that, I don't mod on your board, and I'm not taking any sorry excuses for you. You'd be better stop baiting here, at this point you are in for something minor, but keep going and it's going to be more serious.

Each board is modded different, but we get more trolls than you do and we tend to stick to the no trolling and baiting rules closer than other boards. At any rate, you're back with more salt. I never condoned anyone ever rubbing it in when Oden was injured, and I certainly am not putting up with anyone coming in and doing it here.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#125 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:46 am

Il_Devo wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:= board ban.... say goodbye to the laker board.

No trolling or inciting, I welcome open discussion but this is unacceptable and foolish.

Trolling and inciting on a sensitive issue. expect a pm when the suspension has been decided upon.

You mean like how you and the rest of the Laker board did the same thing when Oden got injured last year and earlier this year?
link?

Nice double-standard going on here....
link?
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#126 » by TommyTheCat » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:57 am

i hope bynum stays within the system this year for his recovery...............keep that dbag of an agent out of this
KB20
Head Coach
And1: 4

Post#127 » by KB20 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:58 am

Look out for Chris Mihm. I definitely see his minutes increasing and if he gives us anything close to what he was before he injured his ankle then that would be great.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#128 » by Danny Darko » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:03 am

KB20 wrote:Look out for Chris Mihm. I definitely see his minutes increasing and if he gives us anything close to what he was before he injured his ankle then that would be great.

That could turn into a regular heart warming story if Chris comes to life
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#129 » by TonyMontana » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:08 am

Danny Darko wrote:
KB20 wrote:Look out for Chris Mihm. I definitely see his minutes increasing and if he gives us anything close to what he was before he injured his ankle then that would be great.

That could turn into a regular heart warming story if Chris comes to life

He will DANNY, EVERYBODY WILL STEP UP...............

And to all the Laker posters in here:
WE NEED TO CALM DOWN, okay we have been through this before, we have Ariza healthy and now we have Powell and Mihm has had his ass on the bench for a while now, its time for him to shine...

Guys remember my Cs Christmas thread about HAVING FAITH IN OUR TEAM.
WELL LETS START RIGHT NOW.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,939

Post#130 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:16 am

OT -- you see your boy McElwain is doing Gatorade commercials, Tony?
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#131 » by Danny Darko » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:20 am

also OT, but since this is the popular thread right now:

dcash4 is our newest Laker mod. Just in time for trolls and tribulations, d!
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,939

Post#132 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:27 am

Congrats. Well deserved.
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#133 » by supaflash » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:15 am

I know I'm late getting home and on this thread but damn, people are not optimistic!

When I saw the news I actually was a little relieved, at least considering. Yes it sucks but MCL is not bad at all. ACL or major cartilage damage would have been end of season. Football players play sometimes 3-4 weeks after MCL tears all the time.

A few things you need to consider vs last year. Last year included a bone bruise which is what really took all the time because you can't do much about it and its not easily rehabed. With an MCL tear, even if surgery is needed you can begin rehab exercises very quickly and since its related to side stability you can start running fairly soon. I'm talking within 10-15 days on partial tears to running where as after surgery you could probably start the stationairy bike at that point. I haven't heard anything regarding him going into surgery so I'm very optimistic at this point. It does look like they are going to take the conservative approach with him though with good rest at first and not rushing it, but he shouldn't lose too much strength in a week or so. If he works hard I can see him back in practice in 5-6 weeks and on the court in 7-8.

Also remember that shorter time missed = less loss of fitness and less time to get back in shape. Look at Farmar, yes he's smaller and lighter, but I don't expect Bynum to be hugely dissimilar. If anything he may actually be fresher come playoff time. My biggest concern is mentally, it can be hard to be properly aggressive after multiple injuries. Trust me, I've been through 2 torn ACLs and it can kill your psyche but at the same time I think it teaches you how to play aggressive but smarter. I know I learned to be more effective with less risk and less wasted energy and became much less injury prone after mine. I rarely even sprain ankles or anything anymore because my body is so tuned to protecting itself, how I plant, how I land, how to instantly reduce tension when stuff like that happens. I think he will be alright though if he gets back out there soon, he seems pretty tough mentally for a young kid.
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#134 » by TommyTheCat » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:16 am

congrats to dcash. as ST noted.............well deserved. just strengthens the great cast of mods this board already has.
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#135 » by supaflash » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:19 am

Also jsut FYI I took a quick look at a sports surgery site to make sure I was thinking right still:

•Grade I MCL Tear
This is an incomplete tear of the MCL. The tendon is still in continuity, and the symptoms are usually minimal. Patients usually complain of pain with pressure on the MCL, and may be able to return to their sport very quickly. Most athletes miss 1-2 weeks of play.

•Grade II MCL Tear
Grade II injuries are also considered incomplete tears of the MCL. These patients may complain of instability when attempting to cut or pivot. The pain and swelling is more significant, and usually a period of 3-4 weeks of rest is necessary.

•Grade III MCL Tear
A grade III injury is a complete tear of the MCL. Patients have significant pain and swelling, and often have difficulty bending the knee. Instability, or giving out, is a common finding with grade III MCL tears. A knee brace or a knee immobilizer is usually needed for comfort, and healing may take 6 weeks or longer.
anorexorcism
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#136 » by anorexorcism » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:24 am

I am guessing the reason Lakers are saying 8-12 (instead of 4-6) is because they are factoring in time for him to get back into shape? Perhaps they don't want him on the court, even if he's healed up, without having his joints all stretched out and him feeling ready.

Also, not to sound harsh/weird, but in retrospect you kind of wish the league would have decided, after the Minnesota game, to suspend him for the Wallace foul. Which means he would have missed the Memphis game, and disaster averted.

Ah well...as I said in another thread, you guys will be fine. Hope he comes back.
88' Draft Pick
Junior
And1: 50

Post#137 » by 88' Draft Pick » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:35 am

SIDE NOTE: isnt it amazing how if you tear your MCL completely in half, it requires no surgery? I guess the two seperate parts just heal back together by themselves? Correct me if that is somehow wrong. But am I the only one who thinks that is amazing? The human body is really incredible
Free Soda Always
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#138 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Feb 3, 2009 3:21 am

He'll be back much quicker this time because the diagnosis was on the money this time, last year we screwed up from the get go.The good thing is no surgery he can just rehab get it stronger and be back.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#139 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Feb 3, 2009 3:35 am

88' Draft Pick wrote:SIDE NOTE: isnt it amazing how if you tear your MCL completely in half, it requires no surgery? I guess the two seperate parts just heal back together by themselves? Correct me if that is somehow wrong. But am I the only one who thinks that is amazing? The human body is really incredible
You are correct, the MCL is the only ligament that heals it self. Rest and rehab is all you need.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#140 » by dingclancy » Tue Feb 3, 2009 3:45 am

supaflash wrote:I know I'm late getting home and on this thread but damn, people are not optimistic!

When I saw the news I actually was a little relieved, at least considering. Yes it sucks but MCL is not bad at all. ACL or major cartilage damage would have been end of season. Football players play sometimes 3-4 weeks after MCL tears all the time.

A few things you need to consider vs last year. Last year included a bone bruise which is what really took all the time because you can't do much about it and its not easily rehabed. With an MCL tear, even if surgery is needed you can begin rehab exercises very quickly and since its related to side stability you can start running fairly soon. I'm talking within 10-15 days on partial tears to running where as after surgery you could probably start the stationairy bike at that point. I haven't heard anything regarding him going into surgery so I'm very optimistic at this point. It does look like they are going to take the conservative approach with him though with good rest at first and not rushing it, but he shouldn't lose too much strength in a week or so. If he works hard I can see him back in practice in 5-6 weeks and on the court in 7-8.

Also remember that shorter time missed = less loss of fitness and less time to get back in shape. Look at Farmar, yes he's smaller and lighter, but I don't expect Bynum to be hugely dissimilar. If anything he may actually be fresher come playoff time. My biggest concern is mentally, it can be hard to be properly aggressive after multiple injuries. Trust me, I've been through 2 torn ACLs and it can kill your psyche but at the same time I think it teaches you how to play aggressive but smarter. I know I learned to be more effective with less risk and less wasted energy and became much less injury prone after mine. I rarely even sprain ankles or anything anymore because my body is so tuned to protecting itself, how I plant, how I land, how to instantly reduce tension when stuff like that happens. I think he will be alright though if he gets back out there soon, he seems pretty tough mentally for a young kid.

nice post

Return to Los Angeles Lakers