ImageImageImageImageImage

Farmar vs Collins

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Farmar vs Collins 

Post#1 » by ALL HAIL » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:09 am

Don't get me wrong. I strongly believe this Laker team will win the championship this year.

I also think Jordan Farmar can be a tremendous player if properly utilized. I've gone on record, though, professing the flaws of Jordan Farmar as a triangle point.

Phil Jackson's history has shown and proved that he plays guys at the 1 who guard PGs on defense but play "shooting" guard on offense (ie Craig Hodges, John Paxson, BJ Armstrong, Steve Kerr, Derek Fisher).

However, Phil Jackson will also employ the exact opposite as well. Jackson will play "big" guys at the 1 who play solid defense on both PGs and SGs (with the ability to contain SFs on defensive rotations) while being able to play multiple positions on the offensive end (ie Scottie Pippen, Randy Brown, Ron Harper, Brian Shaw, Kobe Bryant).

Jordan Farmar can NEVER consistently fulfill the the aforementioned roles for Phil Jackson.

Farmar's offensive versatility is too vast for him to concentrate solely on being a shooter in the mold of Paxson, Armstrong, and Kerr. He doesn't want to be a strictly Derek Fisher-like, knock down three point shooter. He knows he can do things on the floor that merit the freedom to be an offensive playmaker.

I think we have needed a player to fulfill that big, defensive, versatile guard role next to Kobe since Ron Harper left and since Antonio Daniels spurned us for Washington.

Farmar has absolutely NO capacity to fulfill this defensive role.

Point guard Mardy Collins of the Clippers can.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Re: Farmar vs Collins 

Post#2 » by crazyeights » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:05 am

I'm still laughing about that Antonio Daniels decision.

Mardy Collins, interesting, I've watched quite a few Clippers games this season...not sure if you're proposing trading Farmar for Mardy or what, but I can see him as being a PJ type point guard. My only concern is how much longer do we run the triangle? In a season or two Phil could be retired.

I don't want to completely let go of our young talent just to fulfill a need that, although is our Achilles heel, might not be necessary to win a championship. I don't want us to be on the wrong end of a Kidd/Harris type of deal. Not even saying Farmar is that caliber, but seeing and knowing what Famar is capable of, it's obvious he's restrained. I wonder if he would even want to resign here in LA if given the choice.

As to Mardy Collins though...I know there were some projections saying we might be interested in him, but I'm not entirely sold. He can be a pretty sloppy ball-handler and I'm not sold on his ability to guard the same quick guards that give Farmar trouble.

I'd probably rather, if it's about one over the other, choose to keep Farmar. If nothing but for the future. IDK, maybe it's just me.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#3 » by TylersLakers » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:14 am

I think a guy we saw tonight.. Keyon Dooling would be a great pickup through trade this off-season.

Hopefully Farmar can get it done until then. He needs to really focus in on the defensive end.

Maybe in the off-season a Jordan Farmar, Adam Morrison, Charlotte's 2nd round pick could go to New Jersey for Sean Williams and Keyon Dooling. Williams was having some troubles with management and I think he was the trading block this season. Add in the fact they get to get rid of the contract of Dooling for an expiring in Morrison. Maybe, just maybe. Would definitely improve our defense with that trade.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by ALL HAIL » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:18 am

crazyeights wrote:I wonder if Farmar would even want to resign here in LA if given the choice.

Nope. I really don't think so.

All the more reason to get a player in here who can flourish in a system that has proved to be dominant with the right players.

I think you're right, Mardy Collins will not lock down Tony Parker or Mo Williams but I think he will do a MUCH better job then what Farmar has shown. To me, Mardy Collins is an IMPROVEMENT defensively and provides added overall toughness, two things we need to sustain dominance.
LAL4Life
Senior
And1: 3

Post#5 » by LAL4Life » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:44 am

I don't know why Farmar has regressed so much this year, but if this is any indication of how he's going to be playing for us in the future, he needs to be shipped out ASAP. His shooting has been horrendous, he's been making terrible decisions with the ball, and he's a matador defender, which is inexcusable for someone as athletic as he is. He's the primary reason our bench has been playing so poorly lately; he comes in and our big leads evaporate. Hopefully that changes, because he's shown so much promise over the past two years.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by crazyeights » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:11 am

ALL HAIL wrote:
crazyeights wrote:I wonder if Farmar would even want to resign here in LA if given the choice.

Nope. I really don't think so.

All the more reason to get a player in here who can flourish in a system that has proved to be dominant with the right players.

I think you're right, Mardy Collins will not lock down Tony Parker or Mo Williams but I think he will do a MUCH better job then what Farmar has shown. To me, Mardy Collins is an IMPROVEMENT defensively and provides added overall toughness, two things we need to sustain dominance.

So you would actually trade Farmar for Mardy? I just feel like you could steal Mardy...Farmar seems like he'd have some value. Or maybe I'm just too biased.

Let me ask you this, what is Mardy Collins' ceiling? I know it's nice to bring in guys like Ron Harper and say hey he wasn't really a PG. But Ron Harper was a stuttering stud. Great player. Could have been amazing but he blew out his knee.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by ALL HAIL » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:38 am

^Well for one, I don't look at Mardy Collins as Ron Harper. I look at Mardy Collins more as Randy Brown--a backup PG who can maintain the same level of defensive intensity as the starting group.

I look at Jason Kidd as filling that Ron Harper role with Mardy Collins playing the role of the ambitious, young understudy with a "similiar" skill set to Kidd.

Mardy Collins, as opposed to Farmar, would resign here for pennies as long as he had a role in the rotation. Farmar, on the other hand, will leave us for anybody that will give him minutes.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by ALL HAIL » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:02 am

crazyeights wrote:Let me ask you this, what is Mardy Collins' ceiling?

I completely understand you're line of thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're afraid that Farmar has more upside than Mardy Collins. Your fears are valid .. well kind of.

Farmar can be really good in the right system, while Mardy Collins is a role player somewhere in between Randy Brown and Eric Snow.

Something that must be noted is the true admiration I feel for the GM of the Memphis Grizzlies. He is a man after my own heart. Mr. Wallace and myself both believe that you make moves to better your team without much consideration to how the player you're trading will succeed or not succeed on their new team.

With that in mind, I think Mardy Collins is quite simply a better fit. It doesn't really matter to me if Farmar becomes the starting PG for the Clippers for the next eight years. I think Mardy Collins is a better chemistry and system fit next to Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Kidd, Ariza, Odom, and Fisher. He will be of more benefit to us than Farmar.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by crazyeights » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:14 am

I guess the Farmar potential thing is I am not exactly sure how much longer we'll be running the triangle offense, so it's just a concern for me. Unless after PJ retires we hire internally, Rambis or Shaw, then we'll continue to run it.

I'm just concerned about throwing away Farmar and his valuable dirt-cheap contract for Mardy Collins. Maybe I'm being greedy, but if we're going to trade Farmar, I want it to be in a "significant" trade, whereas I think we can probably get Mardy Collins for less.

I completely agree that if we're concerned about chemistry in the short term, that Mardy probably fits better. I like his game, he's a solid player. Though watching the Clippers, with their injuries, I think he's asked to do too much at times, exposing a lot of his weaknesses (his ball-handling, shooting, etc) though theoretically they'd be masked in the triangle.

Interesting stuff. I just hope these kinds of signings are being discussed by the FO.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#10 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:15 pm

kind of overlooking the fact that PJ pg prototype is also a veteran are we? and Collings is not.
Forum permissions