ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoffs Thoughts, (thread revived)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Playoffs Thoughts, (thread revived) 

Post#1 » by Erik Eleven » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:06 am

We all know how good this team can be, but I think it worries us all a bit how this team seemingly have been sleepwalking to a 65-17 record. At times, guys have given up easy points early in games as if it didn't matter much, only to later have to pull it out in the fourth and win by 10. This type of mentality stuff usually worries me. But not this time.

Kobe wants it like no other basketball player on this planet. With Garnett out, he can sniff the blood and we just won't leave without the kill this time. I think we can rest assure that he's going to step it up quite a few notches, starting Sunday. This is go-time for him — like never before. Finals MVP.

Gasol is one of those that have been sleepwalking for 40 minutes a game during the season. By that I don't mean that he's played poorly, just not at 100%. I think his momentary lapses on defense might have had to do with him needing to stay healthy since Bynum has been out. I would bet my car that his playoffs stats will be extremely impressive this year, maybe historical offensive numbers, and I expect an increased defensive intensity to surprise people. He knows what it takes.

Bynum is a big game player and a big moment player. When he gets pumped up, watch out. The playoffs is when things get really heated. I think it will suit his mentality perfectly, and I predict that the true beast that is Andrew Bynum will finally be revealed, for the first time. This will be his breakout. Bynum vs Howard in the Finals could be a treat for the ages.

Odom has been healthy, focused and consistent all year. He realizes he's here on borrowed time and he would hate to leave this team. He's not going to allow himself not to be sharp this time around. Too much to lose for him. I think he'll be focused and consistent and a bit more aggressive offensively. Defensively, he's one of the biggest assets we have.

Fisher is battle tested time and time again. He knows what it takes and has delivered under pressure his whole career. If Shannon Brown can allow Fisher to play sparingly in the Utah series, he will be rested and fresh for the semi finals against Portland/Houston.

Ariza has the mindset of a true winner. No challenge too big, no moment too big. His opportunistic defense will be a key to the Lakers success. He will come through in the clutch, I know it.

Luke knows what it takes, he wants it bad. He knows the system like few others and I see no reason for him not to step it up a notch or two. He's a true veteran by now. Needs to make his jump shots at a high clip.

Shannon Brown will be key. Completely unafraid and dedicated to the ultimate goal. If he just keeps up what he has been doing the last few weeks, he'll become a fan favorite. I see no reason at all why he should fold under pressure as a role player off the bench.

Farmar is one competitive individual. You know that he hates losing, and right now that means he hates not getting his minutes. He has lots to prove, and I think he will. When pressured in the past, he's reacted the right way — he has stepped it up a notch.

Powell is another role player that feels very confident playing his role against other teams' inferior benches. He knows his role and does it well, yet he doesn't have responsibility enough to merit anything close to buckling under pressure.

Morrison will have his time to shine, probably next year. I doubt he'll have an impact one way or the other this time around.

Sun Yue will keep increasing jersey sales for Buss, on the bench.

In general, adding Bynum balances out this entire team. The fact that our opponents will now have to face two out of Bynum, Gasol, Odom for 48 minutes of every game, makes a huge difference. Not only does it force the other coach's hand as far as substitutions are concerned, it also usually puts their bigs in foul trouble during the course of a game, something which takes them out of their game plan.

The coaching this season has been extremely impressive to me. Phil has seemed very engaged all season, like he knows that this is it — a very realistic opportunity to win it all once again. I believe he will have them ready and peaking mentally at the right time, like he always does.

Since Shannon Brown has improved our perimeter defense tremendously, we only have one true Achilles' heel — defending against weak side threes. Had it not been for that, I would have predicted a 15-1. I think we'll run into big problems against good three point shooting teams like Portland and Orlando, two teams I think we will face. I guess the defensive strategy this season must have been to clog the lane and willingly allowing the opponent to test their luck with weak side threes. Most teams die by the three, but some survive by it. I'd like to see that tweaked some more before Sunday.

Either way, all in all, I think this is our time to enjoy. I just have an overwhelming feeling that the guys will pull all the stops and play at their peak performance. My guess is that we beat Orlando in the Final. For those of you that think I'm too much of a homer, any of the regulars will tell you I'm normally one pessimistic dude. Here's to the Championship and the start of a new Dynasty Lakers Team.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Re: Playoffs Gear 

Post#2 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:49 am

Good post Double E, almost fell asleep though ! lololo

Anyway I'm looking for that energy they played with during the first 2 weeks of the season, til they realized they won't last playing that way the whole season.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Erik Eleven
RealGM

Post#3 » by Erik Eleven » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:59 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Good post Double E, almost fell asleep though ! lololo

Anyway I'm looking for that energy they played with during the first 2 weeks of the season, til they realized they won't last playing that way the whole season.

:lol:

Yeah, I guess that's what I was trying to say, with so damn many words. I almost fell asleep writing it. For some reason, I felt forced by some inner demon to labor out a post like that. Hmmm. :lol:
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#4 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:03 am

Erik Eleven wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:Good post Double E, almost fell asleep though ! lololo

:lol:

Yeah, I guess that's what I was trying to say, with so damn many words. I almost fell asleep writing it. For some reason, I felt forced by some inner demon to labor out a post like that. Hmmm. :lol:
It's good to vent ! :lol:
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,659

Post#5 » by dockingsched » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:07 am

Bynum is a big game player and a big moment player. When he gets pumped up, watch out. The playoffs is when things get really heated. I think it will suit his mentality perfectly, and I predict that the true beast that is Andrew Bynum will finally be revealed, for the first time. This will be his breakout. Bynum vs Howard in the Finals could be a treat for the ages.

this is the part i'm looking forward to. nothing would sweeten a championship run more than having bynum breakout into the player we've all had glimpses of only to be cut short by injury. beast mode would be quite a treat.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Erik Eleven
RealGM

Post#6 » by Erik Eleven » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:14 am

I meant every word, though. :wink:
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Re: Playoffs thoughts 

Post#7 » by ronnymac2 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:31 am

Haha good post. I agree with most of it. I think we are ready for the playoffs. Yes, at times we seemed lackadaisical and whatnot, but this team got so close to a title last year; I think this has been what they were waiting for. They just wanted to win after feeling defeat. I don't think they are a lazy team; they just want the big prize.

I think you'll see a much improved team from last year's playoff run. A more prepared team. A more physical team. A more "We aren't going through this for the first time, we''re here again, and we're here to finish the job, because we failed last time, and we WILL NOT fail again."

No matter what, this must be a team effort. We will need the 7th and 8th guys on the team to play big.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#8 » by supaflash » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Great post double E, I agree with most of it as well.

You forgot Sasha though!

I know some people get down on him but I still like him. He always plays with effort on D even if it isn't always super effective. He does get under the skin a little too. Offensively though I don't think he's a chucker. He's a shooter so thats what he needs to do but he usually makes pretty good decisions and moves the ball pretty well, especially when he's out there with the starters.

Odom will be huge this year I think. His jumper has looked much better and his confidence overall seems way better on the offensive end. After what happened in the finals last year I think he really wants it on a near Kobe level. He's done everything this staff has asked him to do to help this team win.

I like Powell and Mbenga coming in as the back up bigs too, we simply won't get intimidated inside this year. They probably won't see much time but if so I'm not worried.

The bench looked like it was starting to put it together the last few games aside from the Clips game. In the playoffs they won't be out there as a full unit as much. With Odom as the 6th man and the shortened times we should be great. The mob will be mixed in with 2 or 3 starters most of the time so they should dominate.

Honestly I feel like this team is ready. Our defense has been questioned at times but just like when we've faced the best oponents this year our focus has gone up. We are one of the few teams that I don't think was play at full intensity during the season. I feel like we can go up another level where as most of the other teams were already there just trying to get in. Even Cleveland I feel like has been plaing at its peak in the regular season. I tink Boston was the only other team that could step up its level but now without KG and his emotional intensity they might not be able to.

I'm not worried about Fish, I think Phil did a great job of limiting his minutes and with this nice rest I'm confident he'll be out of that slump and on his normal minute rotation. He was soo consistent and steady at the beginning of the year I think he'll be back there quick because the playoffs are his time. After what happened last year I think this team will be so focused. I'm with EE on this one in that I think its all going to come together here and not only are we going to get teh championship but I think we might dominate this postseason 16-2 style.

yes I am an optimist and I can be a homer at times, but I have a really good feeling about this team right now and I think they are going to put together one hell of a run starting tommorrow.
SnakeEyez
Senior
And1: 0

Post#9 » by SnakeEyez » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 pm

I dont post much, but the playoffs have come so I cant resist. Great post by the way. Honestly the only team that can defeat the Lakers, is the Lakers and or God forbid injuries. We have been set up to destroy and conquere our enemies. Kobe as the general leading his army into battle. Gasol is his right hand man, and Bynum is the secret weapon that you unleash "element of surprise". The bench and all are your soliders. I know its wrong to use the army meatphore when our soliders are fighting for our rights as we speak but its the best way to put it. We will march in, defeat take over and win this year.
[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/aazt37.jpg[img]
Erik Eleven
RealGM

Post#10 » by Erik Eleven » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:28 pm

Oops, I was tired.

Sasha
Here's another player with everything to prove and lots to lose. He has stated in the media that he wants to be the best shooter the league has seen. Now is the time to show that killer instinct that any good shooter must have — fill those veins with ice and start your precision sniping. I think he knows he needs to step it up, and I think he will pull it off with grace.

I don't mind Sasha as much now, especially since he doesn't whine on every call anymore, and also since stopped gambling so damn much on the wrong side of the court. There's better energy about him when he doesn't complain and puts himself in negative situations. Slowly but surely, he seems to be getting the overall right mindset — one he never truly had before. I've always loved his hustle, and he has a great nose for midrange defensive rebounds. If he could just learn better decision making — when to run at what tempo, and tap-dance a bit better on defense (play defense laterally with his feet, not reaching hands), he'll be legit starting material. But first things first, right now, he needs to make sure his shot falls at a very high clip before tomorrow.

Didiér Mbenga
He was making a whole lot out of every measly minute he played this season. If one of our bigs should get in foul trouble, his solid contribution and size will be much needed. He's a bruiser and a hoop-attack repellant. He's been ready since he escaped execution in his homeland, a basketball final is not going to rattle his nerves at all. I look forward to seeing him work up the Staples crowd with his hustle plays and newfound deadly jumpers. :lol:
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,810

Post#11 » by TylersLakers » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Great post, man. You need to post your motivational tactics more often.

I also agree with you about Kobe. If we lost this season, I'd be shocked. I just think he's too hungry and he's not going to let what happened last year happen again. It's time, guys..
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#12 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:43 pm

great post santa, I miss the non-mod posts from the mods. especially yours miles.

Forum permissions