ImageImageImageImageImage

CAN WE SAY WAKE UP CALL?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Re: CAN WE SAY WAKE UP CALL? 

Post#21 » by slifersd » Tue May 5, 2009 2:24 pm

Haven't we had a few big losses this season already that caused us home court advantage throughout the postseason? If those losses didn't wake us up, then why would this game do that? The thing is, this team wants the championship, but they don't seem to be willing to work for it. Every time they lose, they go around like "we just had a bad game, that's all." And the next game, they show up with the same attitude without any sense of urgency whatsoever. They have the desires but not the heart of the champion and the drive to get it done. They want to pick up the hot chick sitting across the room badly but don't have the balls to even go talk to her. This is the playoffs, if we need to be beat by Houston at home to jumpstart us, then we have bigger problems than Ron Artest, Aaron Brooks and Yao Ming manhandling our lousy frontline.
SALMIEN
Junior
And1: 0

Post#22 » by SALMIEN » Tue May 5, 2009 3:58 pm

do we have a choice?
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#23 » by TonyMontana » Tue May 5, 2009 4:08 pm

Ya we need to chill and stop panicing, we were way out of sync and this isnt exceptable but it was expected. Thats why I dont like the time off between series, it jacks up your chemistry and makes us lazy. We looked like ish out there and honestly I did expect this to happen. Oh well we lost and its not the end of the world, let win the next 4 and call it a day.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#24 » by Dexmor » Tue May 5, 2009 4:27 pm

Wake up call my a**
Teams who lost in the finals the year before don't have wake up calls. Besides we have had to many. Were a little weak mentally. Clearly not everybody on the team but some are.
Not only that the coaching was really stupid. I never ever believed Phil only has 9 rings because of MJ,Pippen,Rodman and then Shaq,Kobe but after watching last night's game I was thinking it.
Im not saying it's true but last night if you asked me I would have said yes.
ddubb
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#25 » by ddubb » Tue May 5, 2009 4:49 pm

ShaY wrote:Don't panic people , you guys hadn't played in a while and were really out of sync and Kobe wa sick , I still souldn't worry too much if I were you , you guys have shown you can win Toyoyta Center and not once.

But also another thing I think we deserve some more credit , we won this game and deserve it we didn't win just because of you guys.
And it was by far not the best game we played all season , Wafer was a non factor , Landry was a non factor , we turned it over a lot and passed up a lot of open shots that resulted in shot clock violation or bad shots.

This guy is right. Houston went out and won this game by dominating all the matchups and dictating the pace; this wasn't a case of LA giving away another big lead with lazy play.

LA will need to make some adjustments to get back to the pace of ball they want to play. When Yao dominates the paint, Houston gets to control the tempo. Playing in the half court allows them to set up their defense which is a huge advantage.

I would be a little concerned if I was a Laker fan. LA doesn't have an anwser for Yao or Brooks, and if those two continue to exploit LA coupled with more great defense by Battier/Artest on Kobe -- Houston will win more games in this series.

To be successful in spite of Houston's favorable matchups, LA will need to get away from Pau and Kobe taking 60-70% of the teams shots. The defense of Yao/Artest/Battier is too good, LA needs to run the floor and get their role players heavily involved to score in the 100's.

They won't win against this team playing half court, grind it out ball. They'll need to rebound and get stops, and frankly I'm not convinced they can do that consistently with Yao playing at such a high level right now.
ubuntu
lakersfanatic
Pro Prospect

Post#26 » by lakersfanatic » Tue May 5, 2009 4:56 pm

it was basically a game of they did everything right where as we did everything wrong. I mean sasha and ariza 0-10 3pts? that won't happen again. LO was what 1-6 free throws.? probably won't happen again. Maybe it was the long rest that got us.. or maybe it was just luck... but i think game 2 is the crucial game. The turning point or the downward turn...
biggamejames2
Ballboy

Post#27 » by biggamejames2 » Tue May 5, 2009 5:09 pm

seriously like others have said this is about as bad as were going to play. The first half was one of the worst halves of basketball we played all season and we went into the locker room down 3 points. I do think the Rockets played about an A- game for them and they could probably play a LITTLE better but if were playing that bad and still going to be in it all game then i think were okay
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#28 » by BballFanAddict » Tue May 5, 2009 5:10 pm

The Lakers lost last night for the same reason Portland lost Game 1 in the first round to Houston. Houston came out and imposed their will by playing VERY physically. LA was not ready for it last night.

During the Portland / Houston series, Phil Jackson commented on how much more physical the series between Portland and Houston was when compared to LA and Utah. I am sure Phil understood how Houston was going to come out, but apparently the Lakers, like the Blazers, had to live through one game before knowing what exactly to expect.

The Lakers will adjust, like the Blazers, and they will take Game 2 with relative ease. I then expect LA to win 1 of 2 in Houston, too - probably even the first game in Houston. Lakers will win in 6.

I want Houston to win, but that does not cloud my logic and understanding of the game. LA is simply the better team.
ddubb
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#29 » by ddubb » Tue May 5, 2009 5:13 pm

lakersfanatic wrote:it was basically a game of they did everything right where as we did everything wrong. I mean sasha and ariza 0-10 3pts? that won't happen again. LO was what 1-6 free throws.? probably won't happen again. Maybe it was the long rest that got us.. or maybe it was just luck... but i think game 2 is the crucial game. The turning point or the downward turn...

Likewise, I wouldn't expect Houston to have another poor 3pt shooting night where they only hit 28%. Or get out-rebounded by LA again.
ubuntu
HTown34s
Senior

Post#30 » by HTown34s » Tue May 5, 2009 6:22 pm

lakersfanatic wrote:it was basically a game of they did everything right where as we did everything wrong. I mean sasha and ariza 0-10 3pts? that won't happen again. LO was what 1-6 free throws.? probably won't happen again. Maybe it was the long rest that got us.. or maybe it was just luck... but i think game 2 is the crucial game. The turning point or the downward turn...

We did get a few lucky breaks but this was a far cry from our best brand of basketball. We had an alarming number of untimely turnovers and shot horrific from beyond the arc at a 27% clip. Something we're not accustomed to doing. I never can understand why some fans have to devalue the other team to make their situation seem brighter. Trust me; we can play better as well.
[Insert witty comment here]
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#31 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue May 5, 2009 6:38 pm

I think we all got distracted by "The Ass" in the game thread and that is why we lost.
Forum permissions