ImageImageImageImageImage

Aaron Brooks matchup

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

kevin_405
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Aaron Brooks matchup 

Post#1 » by kevin_405 » Tue May 5, 2009 11:06 pm

I think the game was decided by Aaron Brooks making critical shots driving to the basket..
Didn't look like we had a handle on how to stop him.. Fisher looked too slow for him..

We need to play Shannon and Farmar more to win this matchup..
daddyfivestar
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Aaron Brooks matchup 

Post#2 » by daddyfivestar » Tue May 5, 2009 11:10 pm

Even Shannon got worked, but not nearly as bad as Fish.

Farmar only played a handful of possessions, but he at least kept Brooks out the paint... and hit his open 3. Phil should've given Farmar a few more minutes to see if it was a good matchup.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#3 » by crazyeights » Tue May 5, 2009 11:56 pm

Phil is getting a little too tight with his rotations and it's acing out our bench, making them even less effective.

Seriously, Powell has played like crap for two months. Sasha has only had a handful of good games. Farmar is well, he's Farmar...the only real bright spot has been Shannon and he didn't have a stellar game either yesterday.

Our bench is weak right now. Hopefully Luke comes back soon or Kobe starts playing the 3, giving our other guards some more PT, because we need everyone to be gelling by now.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#4 » by DEEP3CL » Wed May 6, 2009 12:00 am

Brooks is the type of guard that you have to shade to certain areas on the court. Due to his speed you can't press up and since he can also shoot with range you really can't sag all that much. The Lakers have their hands full on this one. It's no clear cut answer on how to contain him, using Brown isn't the be all end all answer either. Yes Shannon has the size and decent speed but without the use of an outlawed hand check, Shannon is in the same boat as Fish.

Sadly Pjax may have to re-trust Jordan again, this could be the series where he get his mojo back.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#5 » by Sofa King » Wed May 6, 2009 12:24 am

Miss match of Ariza, Shannon, Fish, and Farmar should confuse him. Or just get Bynum down there to block his shots.
LAKERLAW
Junior
And1: 3

Post#6 » by LAKERLAW » Wed May 6, 2009 12:56 am

Its not Derek Fisher's fault. The blame must be placed on Lamar, Bynum, Gasol and Ariza for the most part. The Lakers play a complex defense where we shadow point guards on defense and force them baseline with the hope that another laker defender (usually a big man) will rotate over and cut of the opposing player at the baseline.

Our players did not rotate, leaving Fisher and Brown looking like horrible defenders.
magic1fan
Starter

Post#7 » by magic1fan » Wed May 6, 2009 1:39 am

we have to take it back to 05' when parker was killing us. we have to put brooks on his ass a few times and keep him out of the lane. we have bynum,mbenga,and powell. that is 18 fouls to protect the paint.
Only on realgm is 27,000 points, 5 rings, 1 rs mvp and 2 finals mvp considered overrated!
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#8 » by DEEP3CL » Wed May 6, 2009 4:15 am

magic1fan wrote:we have to take it back to 05' when parker was killing us. we have to put brooks on his ass a few times and keep him out of the lane. we have bynum,mbenga,and powell. that is 18 fouls to protect the paint.
Yep yep..........make him think about it the next time, I agree magic1f.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#9 » by milesfides » Wed May 6, 2009 4:58 am

Aaron Brooks or any other quick small point guard has ALWAYS been a Lakers weakness. That will be the biggest mismatch until Fisher retires or we upgrade. We need to give Shannon Brown and/or Farmar more minutes from the start. That is the single most important move we can make. Hopefully, Phil does it.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#10 » by crazyeights » Wed May 6, 2009 5:38 am

What's sort of funny is Farmar ended up hitting half of our 3's last game.

Not sure why he didn't get any minutes in the 2nd half.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#11 » by DEEP3CL » Wed May 6, 2009 5:50 am

crazyeights wrote:What's sort of funny is Farmar ended up hitting half of our 3's last game.

Not sure why he didn't get any minutes in the 2nd half.
He played in the 3rd eights, he made the 3 at the end of the quarter then vanished in PJax black hole......never to be seen again. Go figure.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#12 » by Slava » Wed May 6, 2009 5:57 am

Yeah if there was a chance of Farmar being of any use in this series it could have been in that game. He did a nice job staying infront of Brooks in the 2 mins he got and made his only 3 pt shot and bingo!he's never to be seen again. Only for us to watch Brooks run circles around old man Fish when we desperately needed stops. I know he's in the doghouse but you've got to give him a chance to redeem himself when you don't have a better option.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
KObe Bryant
Analyst

Post#13 » by KObe Bryant » Wed May 6, 2009 6:14 am

Phil has to understand he should use Farmar a lot of times. I hope they learned from this and I expect Farmar to have more playing time on Game 2.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#14 » by TylersLakers » Wed May 6, 2009 6:18 am

I personally think that anytime we need defense, we shouldn't mention Jordan Farmar in the same sentence.

Please.. 20+ minutes for Shannon Brown. We could use the outside shooting and the athleticism, as well.
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#15 » by Tommy Trojan » Wed May 6, 2009 6:43 am

NO TO FARMAR!
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#16 » by realfung » Wed May 6, 2009 9:50 am

Brooks did what T-Mac supposed to do in a smaller scale.
tlifeset
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#17 » by tlifeset » Wed May 6, 2009 2:45 pm

Great thread. While I don't necessarily agree that Brooks was the "reason" the Lakers lost, he obviously contributed to the demise in game one. And is one of the many leaks we need to patch up.

I think we're all in agreement about Fisher being too slow to stay in front of Brooks. Shannon is a big body, but he over commits too much for Brooks slashing. I liked Farmar on him for the limited time he played and he seemed pretty composed despite not getting much run.

But I think we need to look at this another way. When another team goes that small you have got to expose that player when they're on defense. You run picks so that the player has to switch and then you post them up and absolutely abuse them. Then you make Adelman react ... is it worth having Brooks out there if the Lakers are just going to throttle him on defense. Have Kobe set the pick and make Brooks go to Kobe, or Ariza, or Walton (when he's back), or Odom, etc. All these guys that have good post games that Brooks will need help against. That is how you get Brooks off the floor and make him a non-factor ... trying to find someone to cover him is playing Houston's game.

This is perhaps Phil's greatest weakness, he will not adjust the game plan. I have to think it's some kind of Art of War philosophy ... never react, only act. The other Phil weakness that he HAS to get over is burying players on the bench ... why did it take so long for him to go to Farmar? Where was Bynum at the end of the game? Sure, he's in foul trouble ... but at least he made Yao have to work a little harder.

Again, let me reiterate ... I'm not mad that they lost. This is sports ... losing happens. And I know that Houston is a stout opponent. In the end, the Lakers shots went cold and they couldn't get it to the rim to draw fouls. I just hope Phil learns as the playoffs go on and doesn't try and do the same thing he did last year in the Boston series ... why is try the same things over and over and over again ... and getting the same result.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#18 » by Dexmor » Wed May 6, 2009 3:12 pm

I knew that matchup would kill us. I expect him to average 18 this series. We have never fixed that damm spot.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#19 » by hermes » Wed May 6, 2009 3:14 pm

Sofa King wrote:Miss match of Ariza, Shannon, Fish, and Farmar should confuse him. Or just get Bynum down there to block his shots.

he has to be in the game for that to work :-?
lakersfanatic
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by lakersfanatic » Wed May 6, 2009 4:29 pm

given that aaron brooks basically man handled us in game 1. I'm pretty sure the lakers won't allow that to happen again. I think we focused to much on Yao (which was ineffective) and when aaron brooks tore it up... it caused confusion to everyone. not knowing whether it would be best to guard yao or brooks.

But like what kobe said.. it's not the end of the world.. We'll see in tonights' must win game

Return to Los Angeles Lakers