2016/17 NHL Game Thread

Moderator: Nolan

User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#1 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:41 am

Didn't see one started. I've never been on a board that didn't have one. And although it might seem strange that a hockey fan in Texas is creating it, make no mistake.

I love hockey!
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#2 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:38 am

Hockey Night in Texas!!!
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:21 am

Ducks with 17 shots. Stars with one.

One.

1-1 after 1.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#4 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:34 am

Much better showing in the 2nd. Korpikoski with a nice goal. Not bad considering he just showed up.

2-1
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:43 am

Friggin' Cogliano with another goal... then Roussel!

3-2 DAL


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:53 am

Cracknell!

4-2 Stars


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:15 am

Well done, Niemi.

Stars win!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#8 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:11 am

Ouch!

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Stars fall flat in 3-0 loss to Columbus

https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/stars-fall-flat-in-3-0-loss-to-columbus/c-282968358

"That was as flat as flat could be. I've never seen this team in two years move the puck so poorly. "Missed passes, bad passes, hang on too long. It was a collective effort. There's nothing to like about that game. I can understand the displeasure in the building. I was with them."
- Lindy Ruff


After zipping through the game on my DVR, I concur. That was awful.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#10 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:59 am

Jets and Stars got chippy during warmups. They play three times in the next week and a half including a back-to-back tonight and Thursday night.

Just sayin'
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#11 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:35 am

Niemi with 39:50 minutes of brilliant hockey. And 0:10 of not so brilliant hockey.

2-1 Stars
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#12 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Niemi was terrific except for the brain fart at the end of the 2nd period. So was Hutchinson for the Jets. But it was one of those games where I needed a roster for BOTH teams. There are dudes with the Stars I didn't have a clue about (I still don't know anything about Justin Dowling but he had an assist last night).

Thursday night should be entertaining. I'm betting on a scrap or two.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#13 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Nov 3, 2016 4:58 pm

Nine games in... Wish I had anything good to say about my heroes. But I don't.


  • 24th in Goals Against Average at 3.22
  • 24th in Save Percentage at .893.
  • 22nd in PP%
  • 27th in PK%
  • Injuries...

3-4-2
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
CJLogan
Freshman
Posts: 51
And1: 23
Joined: Oct 11, 2016
         

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#14 » by CJLogan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:33 pm

Nice win for the B's last night, and another solid game in net for Rask. With the lack of defensive depth, the Bruins go as Tukka goes.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#15 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:36 am

Stars season. RIP

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#16 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Holy... Crap...

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 7,565
And1: 3,131
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#17 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 2, 2017 1:40 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:Didn't see one started. I've never been on a board that didn't have one. And although it might seem strange that a hockey fan in Texas is creating it, make no mistake.

I love hockey!

Not a huge hockey fan as you likely know. I've been to a couple of Coyotes games in Phoenix. Cool atmosphere. Got any recommendations for fun teams to follow? The Blackhawks have the best logo & are good, so I have followed them a little. But, haven't really followed the sport. Thoughts?
Who am I? A lifelong Sonics fan. Seahawks 12th Man. Liverpool supporter. Warriors "Bandwagon".
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Apr 2, 2017 2:32 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Didn't see one started. I've never been on a board that didn't have one. And although it might seem strange that a hockey fan in Texas is creating it, make no mistake.

I love hockey!

Not a huge hockey fan as you likely know. I've been to a couple of Coyotes games in Phoenix. Cool atmosphere. Got any recommendations for fun teams to follow? The Blackhawks have the best logo & are good, so I have followed them a little. But, haven't really followed the sport. Thoughts?


I actually went to a Yote game back in 2000. Was in Phoenix on business and had a choice of a baseball game or a Stanley Cup playoff game. Showed up in my Stars stuff and was immediately hated. I enjoyed it.

I'm a diehard Stars fan (and this season, I died hard). If I were going to recommend any teams they would be the up and comers. Edmonton and Calgary look like they are emerging from their dark periods. They like to get up and down the ice and have some fun players to watch. The Flames' Johnny Gaudreau (aka Johnny Hockey) is great.

Just don't root for To***to. No respectable hockey fan does that. Well... with the exception of To***to fans. For them, I have this.

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 7,565
And1: 3,131
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 2, 2017 5:46 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Didn't see one started. I've never been on a board that didn't have one. And although it might seem strange that a hockey fan in Texas is creating it, make no mistake.

I love hockey!

Not a huge hockey fan as you likely know. I've been to a couple of Coyotes games in Phoenix. Cool atmosphere. Got any recommendations for fun teams to follow? The Blackhawks have the best logo & are good, so I have followed them a little. But, haven't really followed the sport. Thoughts?


I actually went to a Yote game back in 2000. Was in Phoenix on business and had a choice of a baseball game or a Stanley Cup playoff game. Showed up in my Stars stuff and was immediately hated. I enjoyed it.

I'm a diehard Stars fan (and this season, I died hard). If I were going to recommend any teams they would be the up and comers. Edmonton and Calgary look like they are emerging from their dark periods. They like to get up and down the ice and have some fun players to watch. The Flames' Johnny Gaudreau (aka Johnny Hockey) is great.

Just don't root for To***to. No respectable hockey fan does that. Well... with the exception of To***to fans. For them, I have this.


I've heard a little about Connor McDavid. 1st pick, last year. Supposedly the next Gretzky or whatnot. Yeah, Edmonton has been pretty bad for a while. The Canuck's are kind of the regional team in the North West. They kinda suck at the moment from what I gather. I remember them blowing the 2011 Cup against Boston & the riot in Vancouver afterwards lol.

Seattle has been rumored at getting a team somewhat recently. Which would be awesome. The rumor was that the Yotes were actually headed to Seattle a couple of years ago. But thanks to politics, Vegas got the latest expansion team. The city just can't seem to get out of its own way :banghead:.

So...The Oilers & Flames keep an eye on. No to Leafs. Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'm gonna have to check out the playoffs this year to determine who's worth following. :wink:
Who am I? A lifelong Sonics fan. Seahawks 12th Man. Liverpool supporter. Warriors "Bandwagon".
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,817
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2016/17 NHL Game Thread 

Post#20 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Apr 2, 2017 12:16 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:I've heard a little about Connor McDavid. 1st pick, last year. Supposedly the next Gretzky or whatnot. Yeah, Edmonton has been pretty bad for a while. The Canuck's are kind of the regional team in the North West. They kinda suck at the moment from what I gather. I remember them blowing the 2011 Cup against Boston & the riot in Vancouver afterwards lol.

Seattle has been rumored at getting a team somewhat recently. Which would be awesome. The rumor was that the Yotes were actually headed to Seattle a couple of years ago. But thanks to politics, Vegas got the latest expansion team. The city just can't seem to get out of its own way :banghead:.

So...The Oilers & Flames keep an eye on. No to Leafs. Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'm gonna have to check out the playoffs this year to determine who's worth following. :wink:


I have a buddy from Fan Nation living in Calgary. I'm quietly rooting for them to make it in. The Oilers and Stars had some epic battles in the late 90's but the possibility of an Oilers/Flames matchup in the playoffs is delicious. And yeah - as soon as I posted last night I thought to myself "Crap - I forgot about McDavid". He's great. The fresh blood in the playoffs this season is going to be fun. Especially if the Flames and Oilers would go ahead and take out the Snarks and *ucks (my hate flows).

I'm like you - really thought Seattle was going to get a team. I still do. It seems like a natural market and with Vancouver across the pond, even more so. Which reminds - learn to hate Bettman. He makes Goodell appear lovable. We don't refer to him as Buttplug and/or the Evil Dwarf lightly.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."

Return to The General NHL Board