Montreal Fires Jacques Martin

Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: Montreal Fires Jacques Martin 

Post#21 » by Crowned » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:49 pm

sh00n wrote:Because a Torontonian is going to tell a Montreal how the people in his city would react, right? Give me a time that Vigneault and Julien played for the Habs and helped them win a Cup, and then you'll have a basis for an argument, genius.

Cunneyworth never played for the Habs. He denied a trade to the Habs while he was still with the Whalers in 93. The city has virtually no knowledge of him because he wasn't a big name, and he wasn't even with the organization very long. Kirk won the Cup here, and the city always loved him. And when he retired, he came back to coach here. That's why he would be given more leeway than any other coach. Or maybe you listened to more Montreal radio than I have? With the hosts all saying Kirk should have been kept? Or the people calling in with disgust that we let him go? Even before the season began?

But hey, who am I to tell someone from Toronto how the city of Montreal would receive Kirk Muller as coach? Just listen to the pop he gets in this video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ciakg0DT-c[/youtube]

Of cooourse Kirk Muller would be booted out of Montreal after a week. Especially since he does speak a little French too from all the years he lived here.

Again, if a coach is not successful in a large market, they'll be under the microscope....doesn't matter who it is. if Kirk Muller came in, and Montreal missed the playoffs, would Montreal fans and media still be patient? And he'd be loved by everyone?

Here in Toronto, Ron Wilson has gotten us off to a reasonable start. That's not good enough. More than enough people want him gone, and want Dallas Eakins brought in.

You're a little naive if you think Montreal media and fans would be patient because Muller was a former player. That's completely irrelevant to ANY team when it comes to success. You thinking his popularity would buy him time and patience is flat out silly. Say it's a fresh season, and Montreal begins the season the way the Ducks have, would you personally be a Kirk Muller supporter? Unlikely.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#22 » by sh00n » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:01 am

Yeah, I would still support him. The same way I'm supporting Cunneyworth, because he's a first year coach that was brought in halfway through the season. You have to give a coach a chance.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#23 » by MAS » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:41 am

If Montreal wins the Cup and the coach can't speak french.... does it count?
sh00n
RealGM

Post#24 » by sh00n » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:54 pm

MAS wrote:If Montreal wins the Cup and the coach can't speak french.... does it count?

I think they said on the radio that 20 of the 24 Cups were won with English speaking coaches. I know Scotty Bowman wasn't fluent in French when he won us a bunch of them. I'd have to check it up myself to make sure, but I know we won more with English speaking coaches than french ones.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#25 » by Nolan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:46 pm

^
Toe Blake's another dude that wasn't really fluent in french.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
sh00n
RealGM

Post#26 » by sh00n » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:21 am

Nolan wrote:^
Toe Blake's another dude that wasn't really fluent in french.

Yeah, I know. But the francophones would recognize it cause he won.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#27 » by UN-Owen » Wed Jan 4, 2012 6:57 am

Habs won a Cup in '93 under a coach who couldn't read
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 58

Post#28 » by OldNo7 » Wed Jan 4, 2012 11:28 am

I think its apalling how Gauthier has the nuts to throw Randy under the bus by basically admitting that they will have to find a new coach that speaks French after the season. Gauthier is a prick and a terrible GM and all of these comments about a coach that HE put in place are mind bogglilng. If I am Cunneyworth I would quit and call a press conference explaining that he deserves better than being repeatedly run over by his own boss.
Twitter: @NickObergan
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#29 » by UN-Owen » Wed Jan 4, 2012 5:10 pm

OldNo7 wrote:I think its apalling how Gauthier has the nuts to throw Randy under the bus by basically admitting that they will have to find a new coach that speaks French after the season. Gauthier is a prick and a terrible GM and all of these comments about a coach that HE put in place are mind bogglilng. If I am Cunneyworth I would quit and call a press conference explaining that he deserves better than being repeatedly run over by his own boss.

The Habs are something like 1 - 6 under Cunneyworth

It's more like throwing him under a Smart car
PlayaPlay
Junior
And1: 9

Post#30 » by PlayaPlay » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 pm

Bad decision. He was pretty good. Wasn't on the coach more on the players.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#31 » by sh00n » Fri Feb 3, 2012 4:20 am

PlayaPlay wrote:Bad decision. He was pretty good. Wasn't on the coach more on the players.

The only bad part of the decision was firing JM before Gauthier. They should have been fired as a pair.

Return to The General NHL Board