Rick Nash finally traded to Rangers

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,367

Re: Rick Nash finally traded to Rangers 

Post#21 » by trwi7 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:46 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Bye, bye Columbus Blue Jackets hello Quebec's newest franchise or somebody else in Canada.

Uhhh, no.

Explain how that team has a fighting chance? They traded their star for a bunch of middle of the pack prospects and a late first. That team has relocation all over it, the blood is in the water and the
"Quebec Sharks" smell it

So because they made a stupid trade and are bad it means they're being relocated? Using that logic they relocated years ago.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#22 » by OldNo7 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:33 am

Pretty sure Columbus is locked into a brutal deal with their arena, so they aren't going anywhere.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,173

Post#23 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:23 pm

duh the Sharks are taken I was making a point that The Jackets are in danger and might be on their way out. The Jackets are a team that isn't doing well in The US market. They were ranked #27 with Nash so I think that they're a team in some serious help and a GM who knows what he's doing. Rick Nash is worth more then 2 slightly above average prospects and a very late first round pick. Detroit offered Johan Franzan, Valtteri Filppula, Brendan Smith or Gustav Nyquist in addition to a first-round draft pick, which trumps NY's offer ten fold. Franzen is a legit 20+ goal scorer and so is Filppula and Smith is a damn good defensive prospect who has good offensive upside.

If you guys think this is a "slam dunk" for The Jackets IDK what to tell you but it was one of the worst deals I have ever seen involving a franchise player. It would be like Detroit offering up Datsyuk for Kadri or some other prospect like that
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#24 » by Nolan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:20 pm

^
And if there's any truth to that Ottawa rumour of Zibanejad, Foligno, Lehner and a first that trumps that package.

I mean Howson couldn't even get one of Kreider or Del Zotto from the Rangers and he was asking the Canes for Skinner?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#25 » by UN-Owen » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:duh the Sharks are taken I was making a point that The Jackets are in danger and might be on their way out. The Jackets are a team that isn't doing well in The US market. They were ranked #27 with Nash so I think that they're a team in some serious help and a GM who knows what he's doing. Rick Nash is worth more then 2 slightly above average prospects and a very late first round pick. Detroit offered Johan Franzan, Valtteri Filppula, Brendan Smith or Gustav Nyquist in addition to a first-round draft pick, which trumps NY's offer ten fold. Franzen is a legit 20+ goal scorer and so is Filppula and Smith is a damn good defensive prospect who has good offensive upside.

If you guys think this is a "slam dunk" for The Jackets IDK what to tell you but it was one of the worst deals I have ever seen involving a franchise player. It would be like Detroit offering up Datsyuk for Kadri or some other prospect like that

Duh, I was making a joke
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#26 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:duh the Sharks are taken I was making a point that The Jackets are in danger and might be on their way out. The Jackets are a team that isn't doing well in The US market. They were ranked #27 with Nash so I think that they're a team in some serious help and a GM who knows what he's doing. Rick Nash is worth more then 2 slightly above average prospects and a very late first round pick. Detroit offered Johan Franzan, Valtteri Filppula, Brendan Smith or Gustav Nyquist in addition to a first-round draft pick, which trumps NY's offer ten fold. Franzen is a legit 20+ goal scorer and so is Filppula and Smith is a damn good defensive prospect who has good offensive upside.

No one remotely said this was good for the Jackets. The argument was regarding the Jackets relocating, because they are totally locked into the Columbus area.
Twitter: @NickObergan
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#27 » by WEFFPIM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:26 am

And until recently, that building has drawn pretty well.

You know what? Nevermind. Trying to connect two completely separate points with this sort of logic makes my head hurt. I'll just say that anyone who thinks a terrible trade equals that team leaving the city is...well...really stupid.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:23 pm

The Jackets were on their way out I believe they couldn't sell tickets with Nash/Carter/Unburger and a decent core. So with Nash gone I think your going to see a lot of empty seats in The Nationwide Arena, here's a link to the point I am trying to make http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9076 ... ate/page/2

Yes it's a bleacherreport.com link so take it with a grain of salt but I think The Jackets are a team that will not last. Canada is a hockey hotbed and teams like Quebec City, Markham (part of The Greater Toronto area), Hamilton (small town just outside Toronto), Kitchener and Waterloo and Saskatoon all come to mind on a potential new market. Lets face facts in the southern states hockey is the 8th sport or lower to get any coverage. It's football, baseball, basketball, NASCAR, collage football, high school football, collage and high school basketball then you might get the tail end of some hockey scores. I remember back when The Canes won The Stanley Cup people in Carolina did know they even had a team.

I am not trying to bash The Jackets or the city of Columbus at all I just think that hockey there right now is a lost cause.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#29 » by trwi7 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Yes, I'm sure they love high school basketball over hockey. :lol:

Saskatoon? :rofl:

There are so many problems with another team in GTA.

As for the "article." It's bleacher report, so it's worthless.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#30 » by WEFFPIM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:40 pm

br;dr
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Hockey in Canada is massive trust me it's something you could put in the smallest market and it will do well. The Jets sold out in mins and The Leafs always sell out, if you put a team in Saskatoon it will do well I wouldn't look for them first I would look at Quebec City #1 overall if a team is moving. Again I am not saying The Jackets are moving I am saying if they are then Canada has the market for them.

In terms of problems with a GTA team yeah Toronto is terrible but they are the richest hockey franchise by far. Again they always sell out and I think a Hamilton team would be good for the sport a lot of working class people (myself included) can't afford the $200+ ticket to see a game in the Air Canada Centre so having a team in Hamilton would be good when I want to see my Wings play or same thing with a Markham team or somewhere like that.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#32 » by trwi7 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Winnipeg has three times the population of Saskatoon. It may do well (I doubt it) but the NHL is not going to go into a market that small.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:20 pm

trwi7 wrote:Winnipeg has three times the population of Saskatoon. It may do well (I doubt it) but the NHL is not going to go into a market that small.

I think your seriously underrating how much Canadains love hockey, espically in western Canada. If there was a team in Saskatoon they would sell out every night and thats a fact. The big question would be could they get the corperate sponsers and the TV's deal required to stay afloat.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Nolan wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Winnipeg has three times the population of Saskatoon. It may do well (I doubt it) but the NHL is not going to go into a market that small.

I think your seriously underrating how much Canadains love hockey, espically in western Canada. If there was a team in Saskatoon they would sell out every night and thats a fact. The big question would be could they get the corperate sponsers and the TV's deal required to stay afloat.

Thank you for making the point I was trying to get across to trwi7. I mean Hockey like you said is massive in Western Canada. Saskatoon isn't the biggest market but you have a lot of markets around it to help make it a winner.
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#35 » by WEFFPIM » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:07 am

So the NHL should move to Saskatoon because other markets around it will make it a winner?

The NHL won't go there because the TV market sucks, not because they're worried the building wouldn't sell tickets.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#36 » by trwi7 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:22 am

Yes, Canadians love hockey. Who said they didn't? Fact is, the NHL does not want to go to the tiny market of Saskatoon, like ever. It's not going to make them any money in TV, which is what matters.

Also, let's say Bettman was puffing something and decided to move a team to Saskatchewan. Where would they play? And please don't say the 24 year old Credit Union Centre.

Fact is there are a ton of better markets in the U.S. and Canada. Quebec City, a second team in Toronto if they can work with the money to pay the Leafs and Sabres (in Hamilton's case), Seattle, Houston, Kansas City and I'd even put Omaha ahead of Saskatoon.

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Nolan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:10 pm

trwi7 wrote:Yes, Canadians love hockey. Who said they didn't? Fact is, the NHL does not want to go to the tiny market of Saskatoon, like ever. It's not going to make them any money in TV, which is what matters.

Also, let's say Bettman was puffing something and decided to move a team to Saskatchewan. Where would they play? And please don't say the 24 year old Credit Union Centre.

Fact is there are a ton of better markets in the U.S. and Canada. Quebec City, a second team in Toronto if they can work with the money to pay the Leafs and Sabres (in Hamilton's case), Seattle, Houston, Kansas City and I'd even put Omaha ahead of Saskatoon.

I doubt the NHL would go there, but a team in Saskatoon or Regina would turn a profit without many problems. And as far the TV deals go there's no reason they couldn't work out a similar deal to what the Jets got.

Also The Credit Union Centre desipte its age is in no worse shape than the MTS centre or the Saddledome and its in far better shape that Rexall Place.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#38 » by trwi7 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:49 pm

So the 24 year old Credit Union Centre is in no worse shape than the 8 year old MTS Centre? I somehow find that hard to believe.

Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:01 am

trwi7 wrote:Yes, Canadians love hockey. Who said they didn't? Fact is, the NHL does not want to go to the tiny market of Saskatoon, like ever. It's not going to make them any money in TV, which is what matters.

Kansas City and Omaha really? Trust me I know a 'Husker Alumni and he said that that place is a hot bed for football they can't get enough of it. I doubt Hockey will make a ding in that market. The Jets have a dedicated TV station (TSN Jets) for their games. Canada has major TV deals for each of our teams Sportsnet has The Sens/Leafs/Canucks/Leafs/Flames and Oilers all covered as well with their own stations. Hockey is massive here Hockey Night in Canada is like a given in some families like going to church on Sunday morning. Canada can support I 2 more teams I believe maybe even 3 if we get another in Hamilton/Quebec City and Saskatoon.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#40 » by trwi7 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:14 pm

The Huskers play in Lincoln. Nebraska-Omaha has averaged around 7,000 the last five years for their college hockey team, which places them in the top 5. Omaha obviously wouldn't be my first choice, or second or even fifth but I'd put a team there before I'd put one in Saskatoon.

Return to The General NHL Board