Devils fire Coach Julien

MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Devils fire Coach Julien 

Post#1 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:23 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=202500&hubname=

The playoff-bound Devils have fired head coach Claude Julien with less than a week to go in the regular season with the veteran GM Lamoriello taking over for the second straight season.

This is shocking news, second year in a row this has happened! I guess Lou isn't happy that Pittsburgh got back in the race and are fighting tooth and nail for the devision

But still I wasn't expecting this
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,176

Post#2 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:41 pm

Yeah this is a move that can kill a teams chemstry and make for one of the biggest mistakes in a teams history.

Like MAS I am very shocked with this move and they (Devils) should have waited till the end of the season to make this move.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#3 » by Snayr » Mon Apr 2, 2007 6:01 pm

Why make this move at all though? In all honestly, was Julien doing a bad job? When your team has 102 points, there is no way the coach should be fired. Just... wow. Im speechless really. (Besides what I just wrote ;))
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 6:02 pm

I'm hearing this is non-hockey related
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Snayr » Mon Apr 2, 2007 6:04 pm

MAS wrote:I'm hearing this is non-hockey related

Really? What is it? A rift between management and the Coach?
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#6 » by moose man » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:02 pm

A rift isn't too hard to imgaine, especially with Lamoriello. He's proven in the past as a hard GM to get along with. Either take my line or get out. Still with 3 games left on a 102 point season and still fighting for the division; why?
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:25 pm

Lou just said on a NJ radio station that Julien will stay in the organization but "if you know what i knew then you would make the same decision too"
Kid Vicious
Analyst
And1: 478

Post#8 » by Kid Vicious » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:26 pm

Damn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they make a coaching change with a month left in the regular season the year they won the Stanley Cup?
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Snayr » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:31 pm

MAS wrote:Lou just said on a NJ radio station that Julien will stay in the organization but "if you know what i knew then you would make the same decision too"

Ok now I am curious. I wonder what he'll be doing then if he is to stay within the organization? Obviously not coaching...
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:39 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:Damn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they make a coaching change with a month left in the regular season the year they won the Stanley Cup?

That was I believe 2001, and they were leading the conference at the time. Robbie Ftorek was fired with 9 games left in the regular season and Larry Robinson took over for the playoffs and they won the cup
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#11 » by UTMCretin » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:18 pm

Damn this is actually kind of intriguing. Why would a coach be fired a month before playoff time when the team is doing great?
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:06 pm

From his radio interview

Lou...

"When you are in my position you know things that other people don't and I have to make my decisions based on that.
I must live up to your responsibility to do what I think is necessary."

"This is not a problem that has just come in the last few games."

"I don't like the direction the team was going in...not ready for playoffs...too relaxed."

"The decision came down to what is right for the New Jersey Devils to have the best chance at success and you make
the move for that reason. It is not personal, it is my responsibility to make the moves that I think will do that."

"Julien will remain in the organization"

"I saw things nobody else did"

"The team was not in right frame of mind."

Courtesy of Hockeybuzz

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6547
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#13 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:01 am

Why?
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by MAS » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:02 am

willeatfire4playoffsinmil wrote:Why?

why what?
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#15 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:27 am

I don't get why the Devils would fire this guy, personally. Maybe if the teams was plunging out of the playoffs I can, but they're not. They have a system that works and are doing it well. Why change things up this late in the season?
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Snayr » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:35 am

MAS wrote:From his radio interview

Lou...

"When you are in my position you know things that other people don't and I have to make my decisions based on that.
I must live up to your responsibility to do what I think is necessary."

"This is not a problem that has just come in the last few games."

"I don't like the direction the team was going in...not ready for playoffs...too relaxed."

"The decision came down to what is right for the New Jersey Devils to have the best chance at success and you make
the move for that reason. It is not personal, it is my responsibility to make the moves that I think will do that."

"Julien will remain in the organization"

"I saw things nobody else did"

"The team was not in right frame of mind."

Courtesy of Hockeybuzz

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6547

Honestly I dont buy that crap one bit.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by MAS » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:29 am

There are a strong group of leaders on the NJ Devils. Players that have a very firm grasp and have done things a certain way for years now to great success. These players in the leadership core were not being allowed to do things the way they do things this year. They were growing frustrated...(I talked to three players today who aren't part of that core, but weren't surprised by the firing..)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6552

There's more if you wanna read on
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Snayr » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:35 am

MAS wrote:
There are a strong group of leaders on the NJ Devils. Players that have a very firm grasp and have done things a certain way for years now to great success. These players in the leadership core were not being allowed to do things the way they do things this year. They were growing frustrated...(I talked to three players today who aren't part of that core, but weren't surprised by the firing..)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6552

There's more if you wanna read on

Hmm interesting read. The "coasting" players sound a lot like the situation that happened with the Canadiens when Julien was the bench boss. Then again, thats going to happen to any coach when you have Alex Kovalev on your team. Poor Carbo had to deal with Kovy AND Samsonov this year.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#19 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:41 pm

Please Sutter do what Lou did reduce Playfair to Assitant coach =, comeback adn coach us. And while you are at it please just get rid of Rich Preston
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#20 » by moose man » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:43 pm

I don't think Sutter can pull that move now just because the team is playing so well right now. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Sutter's brother come coach the Flames next year. There were rumblings around about that happening earlier. As for right now Sutter has said he is sticking by Playfair's side.

Return to The General NHL Board