Worst NHL trades ever

Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Worst NHL trades ever 

Post#1 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Apr 5, 2007 4:35 pm

Post what you think was the worst trade ever

I would have to go with this one: November 1978: The WHA's Indianapolis Racers traded Wayne Gretzky, Ed Mio and Peter Driscoll to Edmonton for cash and future considerations.

Thats pretty bad also my Wings made some boneheaded moves as well like these two

June 15, 1989: The Red Wings traded Adam Oates and Paul MacLean to the Blues for Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney

June 23, 1975: The Red Wings traded the rights to Marcel Dionne and defenseman Bart Crashley to Los Angeles for Terry Harper and Dan Maloney. Gave up a all time great in Marcel Dionne for 2 scrubs :banghead:
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#2 » by UTMCretin » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:13 pm

To be fair, the Indianapolis franchise was near folding and the owner needed money to try and keep it afloat. He failed in that too, I guess hockey just wasn't meant to exist in Indiana.

Maybe its just my perspective though, but I would call that the best trade ever :P
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:33 pm

UTMCretin wrote:To be fair, the Indianapolis franchise was near folding and the owner needed money to try and keep it afloat. He failed in that too, I guess hockey just wasn't meant to exist in Indiana.

Maybe its just my perspective though, but I would call that the best trade ever :P

:o wow, your the only person I have seen that said thats a great trade and the best ever.

Sure they maybe folding but you don't trade elite players for scrap junk players. Just imagine if the Bulls were going under and they traded Jordan for like a Araujo-esque player :nonono:
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#4 » by moose man » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:37 pm

Flames trade a 3rd rounder for Mikka Kiprusoft

Flames trade their 20th overall selection (Martin Brodeur) for New Jerseys 11th (Trevor Kidd)

Canucks Trade Cam Neely and a Pick to the Bruins for Barry Pederson

Buffalo Trades Chris Gratton to Phoenix for Daniel Briere

Penguins trade Marcus Naslund to the Vancouver Canucks for Alex Stojanov

The Lindros trade was also pretty one sided and helped set up Quebec/Colorado for 2 stanley cups

Islanders trade Bertuzzi, McCabe and a Draft pick (Jarko Ruutu) to Vancouver for Linden, Linden later returns to play with both players in Vancouver

Islanders trade Joikenen and Luongo for Kvasha and Parrish

Chara, Draft pick (Spezza) and Muckalt for Yashin

As for the ones right now, the Luongo and Thornton trades look like they could be up here.

Those are just a few I remember
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#5 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:53 pm

moose man wrote:Flames trade a 3rd rounder for Mikka Kiprusoft

Flames trade their 20th overall selection (Martin Brodeur) for New Jerseys 11th (Trevor Kidd)

Canucks Trade Cam Neely and a Pick to the Bruins for Barry Pederson

Buffalo Trades Chris Gratton to Phoenix for Daniel Briere

Penguins trade Marcus Naslund to the Vancouver Canucks for Alex Stojanov

The Lindros trade was also pretty one sided and helped set up Quebec/Colorado for 2 stanley cups

Islanders trade Bertuzzi, McCabe and a Draft pick (Jarko Ruutu) to Vancouver for Linden, Linden later returns to play with both players in Vancouver

Islanders trade Joikenen and Luongo for Kvasha and Parrish

Chara, Draft pick (Spezza) and Muckalt for Yashin

As for the ones right now, the Luongo and Thornton trades look like they could be up here.

Those are just a few I remember

2 things one it is Kiprusoff and he is anything but soft break breakin them off :wink:

Next i am pretty sure it was a second rounder (#44) which turned into Marc-Eduard Vlasic and he looks like a stud. He is 19 or 18 and in teh NHL . Wouldhave played for the Cananadian World Juniors but as n the NHL.

Plus San Jose had/have 2 pretty goalies in Nabokov and Toskala soit was not all that bad.

PS: A bad trade in retrospect can only be if theyplayer is a stud or a high potential guy.

So fi you trade a young 3rd rounder for two solid players before anyone knew who they are its not your fault. Seocnd is draft picks. If you trade a solid player for a second roudner and it tutns out to be a stud it is not your fault they got him. You can not say this guy will be a stud unless you have psychic powers.

Bertuzzi and Auld for Loungo. Bertuzzi was obviously only gonna decloine and a young stud and succesor for Canada who was proven was a horrible trade.
BringBackPopeye
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#6 » by BringBackPopeye » Thu Apr 5, 2007 7:43 pm

Pavol Demitra for Christer Olsson

Robert Picard for a 3rd round draft pick (Patrick Roy) in '84

edit: just to add, the Neely trade got the bruins Glen Wesley with the draft pick mentioned
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#7 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:11 pm

That Luongo for Bertuzzi and other stuff is looking pretty terrible right now
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
AOC
Junior

Post#8 » by AOC » Thu Apr 5, 2007 10:49 pm

The Tom Kurvers for a 1st rounder which turned into Scott Niedermayer was worse than all of these trades put together.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Apr 5, 2007 11:22 pm

AOC wrote:The Tom Kurvers for a 1st rounder which turned into Scott Niedermayer was worse than all of these trades put together.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here :wavefinger:
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#10 » by UTMCretin » Fri Apr 6, 2007 12:14 am

xbl_sucks wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:o wow, your the only person I have seen that said thats a great trade and the best ever.

Sure they maybe folding but you don't trade elite players for scrap junk players. Just imagine if the Bulls were going under and they traded Jordan for like a Araujo-esque player :nonono:

Well, it sure worked out well for the Oilers...
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#11 » by Crowned » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:18 am

It's not necessarily the worst, but I always get a kick out of this deal:

Eric Lindros

for

Peter Forsberg
Mike Ricci
Steve Duschesne
Chris Simon
Ron Hextall
Kerry Huffman
$15 million dollars
2 First Round Picks
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by moose man » Fri Apr 6, 2007 5:30 am

And not to mention if you look at who they dealt Hextall, Ricci and Simon for they get even more talent back if I remember it correctly. One name that comes to mind is Alex Tanguay for Ricci.
Islanders82
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Islanders82 » Sun Apr 8, 2007 4:36 pm

willeatfire4playoffsinmil wrote:That Luongo for Bertuzzi and other stuff is looking pretty terrible right now

Agreed.

This was worse than Milbury's Luongo deal.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#14 » by Southward1 » Mon Apr 9, 2007 2:46 pm

Anything Milbury did really. Tim Connelly for Mike Peca? LOL! Spezza and Chara for Yashin. Bertuzzi and McCabe for Linden...so on and so forth
kelso
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#15 » by kelso » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:33 pm

Southward1 wrote:Anything Milbury did really. Tim Connelly for Mike Peca? LOL! Spezza and Chara for Yashin. Bertuzzi and McCabe for Linden...so on and so forth

Milbury must have pictures of the owner leaned over the desk or something- no one person is involved in so many brutal deals anywhere in pro sports.
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by moose man » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:30 pm

I dunno the Knicks had their fair share of grabbing their ankles in some of their deals when Layden was the gm or even Isiah.

Return to The General NHL Board