Eric Lindros Retires?

straightguji
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 0

Eric Lindros Retires? 

Post#1 » by straightguji » Thu Sep 6, 2007 11:10 pm

I caught about 7 minutes of The Spin (on The Score) and the crew was there talking about Eric Lindros's career and stuff, anyways they reported that Eric Lindros has retired. Matthew Barnaby was there too as a guest talking about Lindros.

If true, well I can't help but feel sorry for the guy. He came into the league with so much hype and expectations, he was extremely talented but he just didn't have the focus to keep it together. Pretty much after his career was ruined by injuries (mainly the Scott Stevens one).

Anyways, I think he might have a shot at the HOF. Discuss.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Fri Sep 7, 2007 12:49 am

I havent heard this.

No on HOF either way
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#3 » by UTMCretin » Fri Sep 7, 2007 1:34 am

Yes on HOF either way. Indubitably
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by timd1218 » Fri Sep 7, 2007 4:40 am

UTMCretin wrote:Yes on HOF either way. Indubitably

Why do you think he deserves to be in the hall of fame?
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
risktaker91
Banned User

Post#5 » by risktaker91 » Sat Sep 8, 2007 7:00 pm

He should retire. Every year that he plays, under achieves, gets injured, the more people bash him and his potential.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#6 » by UTMCretin » Sun Sep 9, 2007 5:36 am

timd1218 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why do you think he deserves to be in the hall of fame?

I think peak should factor into the equation just as much as sustained play. Lindros obviously hasn't sustained much with his near constant injury woes, but at his peak he was easily a Top 5 player in the league for a number of years who lead his team to compete as a consistent threat for the Stanley Cup, and was arguably a Top 10 player for his entire 8-year tenure with Philadelphia. He may have no chance at making it on career numbers, but he peaked higher than any other player of his generation except Jagr, and brought a fierce physical edge to the game that very few other forwards have. He has both a Hart and a Lester B. Pearson Trophy to vouch for his place as being the best player in the league at one time. Cam Neely's in the HoF with a similar career path and worse career numbers and peak, so why can't Lindros make it in? (Sidenote: I already know the answer)
JurassicJake
Banned User

Post#7 » by JurassicJake » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:19 am

HOF? No. Respectable career? Yes. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets tryout in camp.
straightguji
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#8 » by straightguji » Wed Nov 7, 2007 3:25 am

yeah, it's official now. on wiretap...

http://www.realgmhockey.com/src_wiretap ... etirement/
HDMAVS760CA
Senior
And1: 22

Post#9 » by HDMAVS760CA » Thu Nov 8, 2007 4:07 am

Hall of very good, but not HOF. The many injuries, especially concussions. And having 2 deal with Booby Clarke & the inconsistent goaltending with the Flyers and the choke jobs.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#10 » by MAS » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:37 am

It's hard for me to talk about if he should be in the HHOF or not cause I work there, but I will say it really depends who else is eligible.

Like if Neidermayer and Selanne don't play another game and retire, they'll be in the same class.

Up to 4 players can be inducted per year at the moment
ShawnP
Ballboy

Post#11 » by ShawnP » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:12 pm

He donated a lot of money to the Fowler Kennedy Sports injury center in London Ontario. Something like $5 million, which was an unexpected move.

I highly doubt Lindros going to the HHOF because he's pissed too many people off over his career, even refusing to play for certain teams.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,170

Post#12 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:19 am

MAS wrote:It's hard for me to talk about if he should be in the HHOF or not cause I work there, but I will say it really depends who else is eligible.

Like if Neidermayer and Selanne don't play another game and retire, they'll be in the same class.

Up to 4 players can be inducted per year at the moment

Nailed it Adam, there are strong pushes for Lindros to be in the HHOF but to me I wouldn't invite him in just for 2-3 good seasons with the Flyers.

Somebody on the FAN590 (Canadian raidio call in show) said that Orr is in the same situation as Lindros :crazy: (I guess having shortened NHL Careers). There is no way that Lindros is in that situation Orr changed the game as we knew it (at least that what the old farts say :P). Lindros did however provide a Flyer team with a good leader.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Re: Eric Lindros Retires? 

Post#13 » by UN-Owen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:55 pm

1st overall pick in both the OHL and NHL

4th fastest player in NHL history to reach 400 points (behind Gretz, Mario and Stastny)

5th fastest player to reach 500 points (behind the previous 3 + Bossy)

6th fastest player to reach 600 points (behind the previous 4 + Kurri)

Hart and Lester Pearson winner at the age of 21

All injuries aside, the Hall of Fame was founded for players like Lindros

Lindros > Neely

Return to The General NHL Board