Toronto and The NY Islanders

Moderator: Nolan

User avatar
Tor-Rap-Tor
Junior
Posts: 490
And1: 3
Joined: Feb 06, 2006
Location: Here!

Toronto and The NY Islanders 

Post#1 » by Tor-Rap-Tor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:42 pm

To Islanders- Brian McCabe/Andy Wozniewski/3rd round draft choice 07...

To Leafs - Miroslav Satan/Rights to f/a Ryan Smyth...

Reason Islanders- Brian McCabe stud defenceman to anchor blueline/ Wozniewski big 6.5 stay at home defenceman to clear the net/ draft choice to sweeten the pot...

Reason Leafs- Satan goal scorer,would bolster second line along with Ryan Smyth between Alex Steen would be good line could become a force also free's up a some money to sign Ryan Smyth...
User avatar
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 2,380
And1: 0
Joined: Mar 24, 2005
Location: I will eat your soul.
Contact:

 

Post#2 » by timd1218 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:19 pm

I think with the buyout of Yashin, The Islanders will try to sign Smyth. I don't think the Islanders would do this. Nor do I like it for the Islanders because they traded away 3 young prospects for Smyth and if they don't re-sign him, it would have been a waste.
Image
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
User avatar
Tor-Rap-Tor
Junior
Posts: 490
And1: 3
Joined: Feb 06, 2006
Location: Here!

 

Post#3 » by Tor-Rap-Tor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:16 pm

timd1218 wrote:I think with the buyout of Yashin, The Islanders will try to sign Smyth. I don't think the Islanders would do this. Nor do I like it for the Islanders because they traded away 3 young prospects for Smyth and if they don't re-sign him, it would have been a waste.


Although I agree with what your saying, a percentage of Yashin's contract I think is applied to the cap.
Value for what they gave up at the deadline did what it was supposed to do and that was to get them into the play-offs.
The leafs on the other hand gave up Bell and a second rounder and got Yanic Perreault a player that will not be resigned, so loss is for rental players and each team takes that risk, quite a number of teams have done the same and are releasing players picked up at the deadline...
We are quickly coming up to the draft and there is no word on negotiations between NYI and Smyth and if not resigned, it will be a total loss to them..
I'm not sure NYI is where he wants to be but he has named Toronto as a preferred destination...
User avatar
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 2,380
And1: 0
Joined: Mar 24, 2005
Location: I will eat your soul.
Contact:

 

Post#4 » by timd1218 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:40 pm

Tor-Rap-Tor wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



Although I agree with what your saying, a percentage of Yashin's contract I think is applied to the cap.
Value for what they gave up at the deadline did what it was supposed to do and that was to get them into the play-offs.
The leafs on the other hand gave up Bell and a second rounder and got Yanic Perreault a player that will not be resigned, so loss is for rental players and each team takes that risk, quite a number of teams have done the same and are releasing players picked up at the deadline...
We are quickly coming up to the draft and there is no word on negotiations between NYI and Smyth and if not resigned, it will be a total loss to them..
I'm not sure NYI is where he wants to be but he has named Toronto as a preferred destination...


I think it is 2.7 million that will be against the cap. I do agree with what you said about rental players. The leafs had to do something at the deadline because they were close to the playoffs and because of the pressure from the fans. The Islanders on the other hand didn't have the pressure of the fans to go out and get someone at the deadline. This is the reason why I think the Islanders went out and got Smyth for more than 1 year.
Image
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
User avatar
Tor-Rap-Tor
Junior
Posts: 490
And1: 3
Joined: Feb 06, 2006
Location: Here!

 

Post#5 » by Tor-Rap-Tor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:37 pm

timd1218 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I think it is 2.7 million that will be against the cap. I do agree with what you said about rental players. The leafs had to do something at the deadline because they were close to the playoffs and because of the pressure from the fans. The Islanders on the other hand didn't have the pressure of the fans to go out and get someone at the deadline. This is the reason why I think the Islanders went out and got Smyth for more than 1 year.


Yashin's Cap hit sounds a little low but I'm not sure because I have no access to this coming year's salary break down but it probably doesn't matter because I think they are well below cap anyway and could sign Smyth for whatever they wanted.
What it boils down to is where he wants to be and if they can sign him and as far as I know there was no commitment on his part or they would have signed him right away at the deadline...
There is only 10 days to free agency and a deal like this may prod them into making it...
We may have to sweeten the pot a little more but only for a marginal player, maybe a player off the marlies or the rights for Suglobov...
I believe this deal is good for both teams and if Smyth is not resigning with them they win this trade hands down...
User avatar
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 2,380
And1: 0
Joined: Mar 24, 2005
Location: I will eat your soul.
Contact:

 

Post#6 » by timd1218 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:47 pm

Tor-Rap-Tor wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



Yashin's Cap hit sounds a little low but I'm not sure because I have no access to this coming year's salary break down but it probably doesn't matter because I think they are well below cap anyway and could sign Smyth for whatever they wanted.
What it boils down to is where he wants to be and if they can sign him and as far as I know there was no commitment on his part or they would have signed him right away at the deadline...
There is only 10 days to free agency and a deal like this may prod them into making it...
We may have to sweeten the pot a little more but only for a marginal player, maybe a player off the marlies or the rights for Suglobov...
I believe this deal is good for both teams and if Smyth is not resigning with them they win this trade hands down...


If Smyth doesn't want to stay with the Islanders, then I think it is a good deal for both teams.
Image
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
BringBackPopeye
Sophomore
Posts: 111
And1: 2
Joined: Feb 03, 2006

 

Post#7 » by BringBackPopeye » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:49 pm

I don't really see why the islanders would possibly want to take on mccabe's bloated salary, and trade assets to do it. If you ask me, if toronto wants to unload mccabe, they'll have to look for a samsonov style deal although not quite that bad.
User avatar
Tor-Rap-Tor
Junior
Posts: 490
And1: 3
Joined: Feb 06, 2006
Location: Here!

 

Post#8 » by Tor-Rap-Tor » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:35 pm

BringBackPopeye wrote:I don't really see why the islanders would possibly want to take on mccabe's bloated salary, and trade assets to do it. If you ask me, if toronto wants to unload mccabe, they'll have to look for a samsonov style deal although not quite that bad.


Well if you have read some of my other posts about Brian McCabe, You will know my dislike of his game, I call him a one trick pony(Slap shot from the point), that other teams have solved by going out to him on the power play and stopping him from using it, add to that he no longer blocks shots and has also lost his patented can opener move, Then add his 5.75 mill salary and you have a player I think we can do without but before you say well you just made my case, consider it has been reported on this board that in fact the Islanders do want him and if you take into account what the Flyers have just given to Timonen 6.3 million, it may not be as one sided as it seems and he is a good point man that can give a team a fairly capable defenceman...

We can mostly do without him because we have an abundance of defencemen, that can fill his skates at a lot less money but in fact there are a lot of Leaf fans that are critical of this trade and have personally told me in discussions that we are giving up way too much and if in fact we can't sign Smyth (We have a 10 day window), it is an extremely bad trade for the Leafs...
risktaker91
Banned User
Posts: 2,487
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 18, 2007

 

Post#9 » by risktaker91 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:02 am

Pavel Kubina for Marc-Andre Bergeron, oh I'd be soo happy if that ever happens.

Return to Trades and Transactions