Blow up the Leafs (realistic trades only)

Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,173

Blow up the Leafs (realistic trades only) 

Post#1 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:56 am

Just thought I would make a fun little game. Leafs have some good assits and some horrid ones just make sure they work with the CBA is all I am asking and they must be fair so no Sundin for Avery or Sundin and Blake for Yashin and **** like that please or your post will be deleted.

I am going to have a prize for the winner like some sort of prize or something like just have to see what though
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#2 » by bryant08 » Sat Dec 1, 2007 5:50 pm

Trade 1:

Mats Sundin
for
Valtteri Filppula
Jakub Kindl
2008 1st Round Pick

Explanation for TML: The Leafs get a future 2nd line C in Filppula who can try and build some chemistry with Tlusty/Kulemin for what could be a solid 2nd line in the future, as well as a guaranteed 2nd pairing/possible first pairing d-man in Hindl. The first rounder will be in the late 20s, but gives the Leafs a chance to either move up to get the guy they want, or stay put with two pretty decent 1st rounders.

Explanation for DET: Simple, they add a bonafide stud down the middle for a one year run at the cup. They would have a very deep roster, and I believe Datsyuk could be better suited to a fast paced style on the 2nd line, with Franzen and Hudler of Samuelsson. Sundin down the middle adds that dominance to the Wings first line, and with Sundin's skills down low, and Holmstrom's trouble making in front of the net, you can guarantee a lot of good chances for Zetterberg. Their youth doesn't take that big of a hit, as they still have quite a few good prospects.

Trade 2:
Andrew Raycroft
for
2008 3rd Round Pick (Pitts.)
2009 5th Round Pick (Pitts.)

Explanation for TML: Dump Raycroft's contract for two picks.

Explanation for PIT: Grab a goalie that can take over a few games here and there while MAF is struggling. Fleury has had major problems this year, and his stats don't indicate how poorly he's been playing. The price is extremely low as well.

Trade 3:
Bryan McCabe
for
Paul Mara
2008 1st Round Pick

Explanation for TML: Dump McCabe's contract for a guy who can do the same job. Mara's been pushed back to 3rd pairing at points this season, and the Leafs make the pick as the true profit. Mara's contract expires after this season, giving the Leafs more money to play around with.

Explanation for NYR: Add that significant threat on the PP to their back end. McCabe would be willing to waive his NMC to come to NYR (I certainly believe so) because of the opportunity to play in a city he's comfortable in, and on a team that has great talent. Only negative to the deal for New York is his salary (as well as contract length), but they dump Mara's $3M anyways.

Offseason:
Sign Nick Schultz to a 3 year deal worth $12M
Sign John Grahame to a 1 year deal worth $1M
Sign Michael Ryder to a 2 year deal worth $5.5M
Re-sign Wellwood, Stajan and Steen for a total of about $7M. ($3M for Welly, $2.5M for Steen, $1.5M for Stajan MAX)

Draft (assuming Leafs pick is 3rd overall, Detroit's pick 28th overall, and New York's pick 16th overall):
1st Pick: Alex Pietrangelo (TSN ranks him 3rd)
Why: Pietrangelo has the potential to be the total package on the blue line. He's solid defensively, and is a PP quarterback. This gives the Leafs two really good looking prospects on the blueline in Pietrangelo and Stralman as well as the other mid level ones.
(Trade up to grab a pick around 8 with those two picks)
2nd Pick: Kyle Beech
Why: Beech has the potential to be a first line C, and adds another good looking offensive prospect to the Leafs few of Kulemin, Tlusty, Earl and DiDomenico. He's looked at really highly, and could go anywhere from 5-10 in the draft.

The lineup sucks for a few years while they get their prospects in check, but with a future of Hindl/Stralman/Beech/Pietrangelo/Good Pick from 2009 draft because of poor team/Tlusty/Kulemin/Pogge/Earl/DiDomenico, the future is extremely bright.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat Dec 1, 2007 7:29 pm

Detroit would take that deal in a heartbeat problem is the Leafs will not trade Sundin for anything less then a star.

McCabe would have to agree to the deal since he has a no trade clause in his deal. I see you touched on that a little bit but I don't see it happening for McCabe or the Leafs they will try to over sell McCabe and end up eatting that horrid deal.

Raycroft will not get traded for 3rd and 5th round picks hell Detroit would have offered the Leafs that when there were legit talks with the Wings and Leafs. Raycroft has value on the market how much I don't really know.

Not bad overall bryant so far your in the lead. I will keep this going for a while and get a few guys together and decide on when is the best time to close this up and award the prizes.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by bryant08 » Sat Dec 1, 2007 8:17 pm

xbl_sucks wrote:Detroit would take that deal in a heartbeat problem is the Leafs will not trade Sundin for anything less then a star.

McCabe would have to agree to the deal since he has a no trade clause in his deal. I see you touched on that a little bit but I don't see it happening for McCabe or the Leafs they will try to over sell McCabe and end up eatting that horrid deal.

Raycroft will not get traded for 3rd and 5th round picks hell Detroit would have offered the Leafs that when there were legit talks with the Wings and Leafs. Raycroft has value on the market how much I don't really know.

Not bad overall bryant so far your in the lead. I will keep this going for a while and get a few guys together and decide on when is the best time to close this up and award the prizes.

a) If Sundin gets traded, your looking at a Forsberg like return which this is, I think if the Leafs HAVE to move Sundin, they'll take this in a heartbeat. I don't know what you mean by star, but usually guys at Sundin's age are rentals at the deadline, and he constitutes a top prospect (Kindl) + Mid-level prospect with potential (Filppula) + 1st Rounder. Thats a great return, JFJ can't be expected to come out with Malkin or something.

b) McCabe's wife has already talked about how much she loves New York as a city. Whether he would waive his NMC I'm not sure, but he definitely would have to give it some thought, first, because the team is blatantly saying they don't want him anymore, and second, New York is still a great hockey city, that McCabe has alredy said he loves.

c) When did Detroit/Toronto have Raycroft discussions? At the moment, IMO, I think JFJ would be looking at a good 2nd rounder for Razor. But with Huet, Halak, Fernandez, Gerber or Emery, and some people even saying MARTY TURCO available, Raycroft's value is extremely low right now, especially with that $2M contract. Brian Burke looked to move Ilja Bryzgalov, but no one would be willing to give up anything for him, since some had knowledge of the fact he would be put on waivers anyways. But that still doesn't affect the fact that no one would give up a 7th round pick for a better, cheaper goalie than Raycroft. This is definitely what I would be expecting in return if we wanted that $2M off the cap, and Raycroft gone.

Otherwise, thanks, and I just wanted to elaborate on why I posted these specific trades :P
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by bryant08 » Sun Dec 2, 2007 5:08 pm

Bruce Garrioch reports the following:- It's believed the strong Swedish contingent on the Detroit Red Wings roster wants Mats Sundin to join them should he decide to seek a trade from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jim Matheson reports the following:

- Matheson wonders at what point will Mats Sundin request a trade from the Toronto Maple Leafs. He speculates the Detroit Red Wings could be a destination if they offer up a package of centre Jiri Hudler, defenceman Jakub Kindl and a second rounder in 2008.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#6 » by timd1218 » Sun Dec 2, 2007 7:38 pm

Plus Shero has said he won't trade draft picks away. Fleury is starting to play better right now. He played well against Atlanta and Dallas. I also like Sabourin as a back up also.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#7 » by ajaX82 » Sun Dec 2, 2007 10:40 pm

bryant08 wrote:Bruce Garrioch reports the following:- It's believed the strong Swedish contingent on the Detroit Red Wings roster wants Mats Sundin to join them should he decide to seek a trade from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jim Matheson reports the following:

- Matheson wonders at what point will Mats Sundin request a trade from the Toronto Maple Leafs. He speculates the Detroit Red Wings could be a destination if they offer up a package of centre Jiri Hudler, defenceman Jakub Kindl and a second rounder in 2008.

hmmmm....thats an interesting deal, but i really hate to part with Kindl.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Dec 4, 2007 8:24 pm

ajaX82 here is the link to the Razor link http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/det070704.html

There is another saying that the Wings are making a push for Sundin in Detroit. If that happens I would welcome that deal with open arms, sure Kindl is great prospect but when do you get guys like Mats Sundin offered to you? I wonder what will happen with the number 13 situation? Will Datsyuk give it to him for a year or 2 or will Mats take something else?

bryant08 I would take that Hudler deal in a 2nd. Wings first is still kinda valuable to us and could nab another vetern d-man or something to a team looking for picks, Hudler is a ok player but I do like Filppula a hell of allot better. I would take that deal and run.

Championships come once in a lifetime, prospects are a dime a dozen. I would take the chance to screw the Leafs over 10/10 for a prospect.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

Post#9 » by Griff83 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:38 pm

xbl_sucks wrote:Detroit would take that deal in a heartbeat problem is the Leafs will not trade Sundin for anything less then a star.

what team gives up a star or stud prospect for someone who would be a rental? If the leafs were out the of playoff race by the deadline, they would happily take that first offer from Detroit. No team ever trades a star player/prospect for a guy that possibly could be playing his last season in the league.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Griff83 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

what team gives up a star or stud prospect for someone who would be a rental? If the leafs were out the of playoff race by the deadline, they would happily take that first offer from Detroit. No team ever trades a star player/prospect for a guy that possibly could be playing his last season in the league.

Well yeah Sundin will comand at least some sort of prospect who is decient and is allready is almost in the league now. I am sure Detroit would be his first stop or maybe Vancouver. Not sure what the Nuckle heads whould give up for him.
BringBackPopeye
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#11 » by BringBackPopeye » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 pm

something centered around ryan kesler and luc bourdon may work

kesler is still young and he's somewhat productive, and bourdon could be a real nice defenseman. I don't really know if the canucks would do it though, it's hard to part with top flight prospects
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by bryant08 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:24 am

BringBackPopeye wrote:something centered around ryan kesler and luc bourdon may work

kesler is still young and he's somewhat productive, and bourdon could be a real nice defenseman. I don't really know if the canucks would do it though, it's hard to part with top flight prospects

Yup, that's very realistic IMO. Edler is the only prospect I hear is off bounds in Vancouver. So Bourdon+Kesler+1st could be an attractive package for the Leafs as welll.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:48 pm

bryant08 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yup, that's very realistic IMO. Edler is the only prospect I hear is off bounds in Vancouver. So Bourdon+Kesler+1st could be an attractive package for the Leafs as welll.

for what Sundin? If Mats goes it will be to a contending team. So far I don't see Vancouver as a team that will make alot of noise in the West. They are great no doubting that but teams like Detroit, Anaheim and possibly my sleeper the Flames are teams ready to make that next step to have a deep run.

Sundin will be traded to a Western Confrence team not to a Eastern one. I don't think they would want to see him in another uni this season
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by bryant08 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:12 pm

xbl_sucks wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

for what Sundin? If Mats goes it will be to a contending team. So far I don't see Vancouver as a team that will make alot of noise in the West. They are great no doubting that but teams like Detroit, Anaheim and possibly my sleeper the Flames are teams ready to make that next step to have a deep run.

Sundin will be traded to a Western Confrence team not to a Eastern one. I don't think they would want to see him in another uni this season

The Swedish connections, and the fact that they have a great record should be enough for Sundin. I mean, they are having a pretty darn good season, and any team with Luongo in net can't be counted out.

BTW, Calgary is one point up on Vancouver with Vancouver having played 2 less games. Anaheim is 5 points ahead, having played 3 more games. These teams are a lot closer than you make them sound.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by bryant08 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:22 pm

From the Sun:

OTTAWA -- Is Mats Sundin going to be getting some Philadelphia freedom?

Or is the Maple Leafs captain simply going to go down with the ship?

While the Canucks and Flames have had scouts following the Leafs lately, sources told Sun Media yesterday that the Flyers might put together a package to try to pry Sundin out of Toronto.

The talk among league executives is crafty Philly general manager Paul Holmgren might be willing to send Jeff Carter and No. 1 pick to the Leafs in exchange for Sundin if the Flyers fail to bring back free-agent Peter Forsberg.

I would most likely take that deal. Carter has that #1 C potential, and is already a pretty decent performer. The pick is a must in any deal, and this would be a pretty darn solid package. The only problem with Carter is he'll be asking for the big bucks this offseason.

And Al Strachan on the Hotstove last night stated that Vancouver was the frontrunner for Sundin. (but it's Strachan, so take it with a pinch of salt)
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#16 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:21 pm

^^^

If I am JFJ I would try and get some of these guys instead. Van Riemsdyk, Giroux and Parent. One of them plus a first...or Carter and one of them

I would try and get JVR and a 2nd or something like that.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:16 pm

bryant08 wrote:From the Sun:

OTTAWA -- Is Mats Sundin going to be getting some Philadelphia freedom?

Or is the Maple Leafs captain simply going to go down with the ship?

While the Canucks and Flames have had scouts following the Leafs lately, sources told Sun Media yesterday that the Flyers might put together a package to try to pry Sundin out of Toronto.

The talk among league executives is crafty Philly general manager Paul Holmgren might be willing to send Jeff Carter and No. 1 pick to the Leafs in exchange for Sundin if the Flyers fail to bring back free-agent Peter Forsberg.

I would most likely take that deal. Carter has that #1 C potential, and is already a pretty decent performer. The pick is a must in any deal, and this would be a pretty darn solid package. The only problem with Carter is he'll be asking for the big bucks this offseason.

And Al Strachan on the Hotstove last night stated that Vancouver was the frontrunner for Sundin. (but it's Strachan, so take it with a pinch of salt)

Wow that's ALOT for a rental of Sundin who wouldn't make them a powerhouse. Teams like Ottawa can be beaten but I don't see Philly beating them or teams like New Jersey and Detroit, Anaheim or Calgary if they meet up in the playoff's. Philly is a great team this year but Carter is a great talent who I wouldn't move for Mats.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by bryant08 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:12 pm

The_Child_Prodigy wrote:^^^

If I am JFJ I would try and get some of these guys instead. Van Riemsdyk, Giroux and Parent. One of them plus a first...or Carter and one of them

JVR ain't going anywhere.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

Post#19 » by Griff83 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:24 am

The_Child_Prodigy wrote:^^^

Haha ya im sure the Flyers are going to trade the #2 overall pick in the last draft for a rental.

:rofl:
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#20 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:52 am

Griff83 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Haha ya im sure the Flyers are going to trade the #2 overall pick in the last draft for a rental.

:rofl:

I know they won't but you have to try regardless.

Return to Trades and Transactions