Youth Player Evaluations

Moderator: Crowned

goinghome
Ballboy
And1: 0

Youth Player Evaluations 

Post#1 » by goinghome » Fri Aug 5, 2011 6:15 pm

Doing evaluations for my players this year. Any suggestions?
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: Youth Player Evaluations 

Post#2 » by Crowned » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:03 am

goinghome wrote:Doing evaluations for my players this year. Any suggestions?

What do you want to know? Evaluating your own players is a little tricky. I place a ton of value in a lot of off ice things, such as attendance, attitude, and how they fit in the dressing room (which is extremely important).

On ice? You have your typical skating, shooting, offensive play, defensive play, back-checking, fore-checking, smarts, how well they play in your system, etc.
Huuminh
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Huuminh » Fri Sep 2, 2011 6:59 am

I want to make an evaluation that will cover skills, technique, attitude, sportsmanship.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#4 » by Crowned » Fri Sep 2, 2011 7:55 pm

In terms of skill and technique, I think skating is the most important. How's their first step acceleration, balance, speed? How is their backwards skating?

Then you get into shooting. How quick is their release? Strength and accuracy of their shot?

How is their defensive and offensive awareness? Do they back-check? Forecheck? Are they in position? If they're not, do they try to get into position? Do they follow routine plays, such as the trap, dump and chase, etc? Do they understand it?

How are they on the faceoff? You can evaluate them with their checking abilities, strength and effectiveness.

In terms of attitude and sportsmanship, do they bring a positive attitude to the team? Are they positive in and out of the dressing room? Are they a leader both off and on the ice? Are they on time? Do they show up to every practice? Are they encouraging to other players? Do they listen?

I've done some scouting in the Junior and OHL ranks, I'll look for my guideline sheet, and see what most teams and people look for in a player. I've covered a good range of things, so if I'm missing anything, I'll let you know.
goinghome
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by goinghome » Thu Sep 8, 2011 1:29 pm

Found this looking for evaluation forms. Thought it might help. www.zoomreports.com

Return to Junior and International Hockey