Utah Jazz: A Successful Small Market Team

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Utah Jazz: A Successful Small Market Team 

Post#1 » by shrink » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Henry Abbott at ESPN wrote an excellent article Monday about how the Utah Jazz balance business with sports success in a small NBA market. Since market size is a big factor in trades and transactions, I thought I'd mention it here, if some posters were interested.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... d-business
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: Utah Jazz: A Successful Small Market Team 

Post#2 » by LApwnd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:08 pm

shrink wrote:Henry Abbott at ESPN wrote an excellent article Monday about how the Utah Jazz balance business with sports success in a small NBA market. Since market size is a big factor in trades and transactions, I thought I'd mention it here, if some posters were interested.

even though they are small market dont they also benefit in the fact that they are the ONLY professional sport team in town, just like SA?
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#3 » by deviljets7 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:16 pm

LApwnd wrote:
shrink wrote:Henry Abbott at ESPN wrote an excellent article Monday about how the Utah Jazz balance business with sports success in a small NBA market. Since market size is a big factor in trades and transactions, I thought I'd mention it here, if some posters were interested.

even though they are small market dont they also benefit in the fact that they are the ONLY professional sport team in town, just like SA?

I'm guessing that helps a bit, plus both teams have extended history of success.

Also, I know Utah and San Antonio aren't exactly NY/LA, but they both are paying the luxury tax as well. While they're small markets, it is a bit different than say "small market" in baseball and other sports.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#4 » by loserX » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:28 pm

As a Jazz fan I don't mean to just blow the organization's trumpet...but I think that stuff like this is a feather in the cap of their GM Kevin O'Connor (and RC Buford in San Antonio for that matter, as well as a few others). Being a general manager of an NBA organization involves a lot more than just putting a winning team on the floor; there can be a lot of conflicting responsibilities, especially when resources are more limited.

Return to Trades and Transactions