Andrew Bynum for Andre Iguodala

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Andrew Bynum for Andre Iguodala 

Post#1 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 am

On July 1st and after Philadelphia drafts a talented wing in the draft (ie Wesley Johnson):

Andrew Bynum, Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, and a 1st round pick

for

Andre Iguodala, Samuel Dalembert, and two conditional 2nd round picks

Good for Sixers because after possibly drafting a wing in the draft, they trade an expendable Iguodala for a potentially dominant, young, low post center who is under contract for another two seasons, which somewhat quelches his injury concerns. Vujacic is an expiring deal who they can use as a tall backup PG for the tall Jrue Holiday to play with their little SGs (Lou Williams, Jodie Meeks, and Willie Green). They get a low Laker first round pick.

Bad for Sixers because Luke Walton is awful and under contract for another three years. Andrew Bynum has an injury history. They lose a big expiring deal in Dalembert who some might feel could fetch them more than Bynum.

Good for Lakers because they dump Luke Walton's bad contract. Iguodala has the potential to be a dominant defender of PGs making the Lakers a dominant defensive team. Dalembert is a more than capable replacement for Bynum's defensive presence. They ditch the "two offensive centers with a 30 point scorer" program in favor of an offense with one offensive big with Kobe and a potentially dynamic facilitator/lead guard in Iguodala.

Bad for Lakers because they give up on a potentially dominant, young center in Andrew Bynum. Andre Iguodala will need a year of grooming and learning the triangle before he can completely embrace his role as a facilitator/floor general/lead guard. Iguodala has to develop a consistent jumper. Dalembert is a likely one year rental because he could very well price out next summer.
BringBackKorver
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Re: Andrew Bynum for Andre Iguodala 

Post#2 » by BringBackKorver » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 am

No thanks. I don't see Bynum being the focal point of a team, and I want nothing to do with Walton's deal.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#3 » by Relentless88 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:21 am

Take out Walton and add an expiring and Philly might like it.

I don't really understand why Lakers want Igoudala though, not the best fit.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:26 am

BringBackKorver wrote:No thanks. I don't see Bynum being the focal point of a team, and I want nothing to do with Walton's deal.

I respect your opinion and appreciate you offering insight as to why you disagree as opposed to merely disagreeing without explaining specific reasons.

I understand not wanting Luke Walton but if I were to get a legit wing prospect in the draft I'd strongly consider dumping the long contract of Iguodala for the shorter contract of Bynum who I believe would easily put up 20/10 if he consistently got 15 shots a game.

We can agree to disagree about Bynum though.

Time will tell if he can be as dominant as I think he will be with the right opportunity and the right PG getting him the ball (which I think Jrue Holiday is).
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:32 am

Relentless88 wrote:I don't really understand why Lakers want Igoudala though, not the best fit.

I see Iguodala as the long term answer for the Lakers at PG although he has played at SF for most of his career.

I think he has the instincts to be Pippen-like floor general in the triangle and an absolutely dominant defender of PGs with his lateral quickness, length, and overall elite defensive instincts.

Iguodala, however, is not a good fit right now with his shaky jumpshot. That being said, I think this is a problem that is easily solved (reference Trevor Ariza).
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#6 » by Agenda42 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:32 am

I think this is lousy for the Lakers. It's big for small, Bynum fits better next to their other pieces, and Iguodala's deal is probably going to be seen as an overpay by the end of that contract.
BringBackKorver
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by BringBackKorver » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:36 am

The main problem is that the Lakers don't have any prospects and their picks are worthless or traded away. Bynum for Iguodala is probably close when it comes to value, but if we're giving up Dalembert too then taking on a long term contract and no prospects kills it. I wouldn't say no to Bynum as the centerpiece, but you would need to set something up where somebody takes your spare parts / our expiring deals and we come out of it with a good prospect or lotto pick.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:36 am

Agenda42 wrote:I think this is lousy for the Lakers. It's big for small, Bynum fits better next to their other pieces, and Iguodala's deal is probably going to be seen as an overpay by the end of that contract.

So how would Philadelphia view the deal?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,461

Post#9 » by youngcrev » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:37 am

I'd definitely give consideration to an Iguodala-Bynum swap (definitely don't like having to take on Walton though). Depends on what happens with the draft.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,659

Post#10 » by dockingsched » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:39 am

i don't understand why you think iggy is the answer pg. he can't guard pg's, he can't shoot the 3. what exactly makes him such a good fit?

thats before considering that bynum is simply worth more.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#11 » by longfellow44 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 am

The idea of the swap is very interesting I don't really like the other stuff that has gone into it though. Bynum has slightly more value than Igoudala but not by much.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:42 am

BringBackKorver wrote:The main problem is that the Lakers don't have any prospects and their picks are worthless or traded away. Bynum for Iguodala is probably close when it comes to value, but if we're giving up Dalembert too then taking on a long term contract and no prospects kills it. I wouldn't say no to Bynum as the centerpiece, but you would need to set something up where somebody takes your spare parts / our expiring deals and we come out of it with a good prospect or lotto pick.

I hear you but to me the young prospect is Andrew Bynum.

He's an extemely promising two way center who is only 22 years old.

If he were coming out of school this year he'd be the number one pick easily.

We can't downplay the uniquness of the opportunity to acquire a real life, two way, low post NBA center who is promising, coachable and again, only 22.

He's your prospect.
BringBackKorver
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by BringBackKorver » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:45 am

^^ I understand that, I'm just pointing out that the difference in Bynum and Iggy is not a Dalembert for Walton / Sasha swap. I would probably do Bynum for Iggy + Green (so we don't eat more tax), but you'd have to find a third team to give us something of value if you wanted Dalembert as well.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:56 am

dcash4 wrote:i don't understand why you think iggy is the answer pg. he can't guard pg's, he can't shoot the 3. what exactly makes him such a good fit?

thats before considering that bynum is simply worth more.

Agreed that Bynum is worth more.

That's why I have Phila taking Walton as well; an acquisition that is hopefully softened by throwing in a 1st round pick.

I couldn't disagree with you more about Iguodala's inability to guard PGs. Why do you feel this way? Is it because he is "listed" as a SG/SF? Or is it that you think he is too slow or lacks lateral quickness or good defensive instincts?

If those are your reasons then I guess Chauncey Billups can't guard PGs either because Billups is surely no quicker than Iguodala and surely doesn't have any more defensive instincts than Iguodala.

Apparently the only defensive advantage that Billups has over Iguodala is the fact that he is listed as a PG.

Also agreed, Iguodala needs to work on his jumper. Not a problem for me. He just needs time next to Kobe ... reference Trevor Ariza.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:19 am

BringBackKorver wrote:^^ I understand that, I'm just pointing out that the difference in Bynum and Iggy is not a Dalembert for Walton / Sasha swap. I would probably do Bynum for Iggy + Green (so we don't eat more tax), but you'd have to find a third team to give us something of value if you wanted Dalembert as well.

Understod.

But let's be completely accurate.

The difference in Bynum and Iggy is a swap of Dalembert (12 mill expiring) for Walton, Vujacic (5.5 mill expiring), and a first round pick.

Considering the fact that Dalembert and Vujacic are both expiring deals we can simplify the difference between (Bynum) the 22 year old promising center with two years remaining and (Iguodala) the near 27 year old do everything guard with four years remaining by simply stating it as: Walton and a 1st round pick.

To me, it's fair -- Bynum's value as a young, promising big on a short deal is higher than Iguodala's value as a 26 year old versatile guard on a much longer deal; higher enough for the Sixers to take on Walton's deal with a 1st round pick as an "olive branch".
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:53 am

This deal is easily better than anything in the "Iguodala Offers?" thread.

Sixer fans just have to accept that acquiring Bynum is worth acquiring Walton and a Laker 1st round pick.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#17 » by Relentless88 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:02 am

ALL HAIL wrote:This deal is easily better than anything in the "Iguodala Offers?" thread.

Sixer fans just have to accept that acquiring Bynum is worth acquiring Walton and a Laker 1st round pick.

Why do they have to accept that? :lol:
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:22 am

Relentless88 wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:This deal is easily better than anything in the "Iguodala Offers?" thread.

Why do they have to accept that?

They absolutely don't ... poor choice of words.
BringBackKorver
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by BringBackKorver » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:02 am

ALL HAIL wrote:Considering the fact that Dalembert and Vujacic are both expiring deals we can simplify the difference between (Bynum) the 22 year old promising center with two years remaining and (Iguodala) the near 27 year old do everything guard with four years remaining by simply stating it as: Walton and a 1st round pick.

To me, it's fair -- Bynum's value as a young, promising big on a short deal is higher than Iguodala's value as a 26 year old versatile guard on a much longer deal; higher enough for the Sixers to take on Walton's deal with a 1st round pick as an "olive branch".

In his defense, Iguodala just turned 26 so he's not "near 27..." If you're going to say it like that, just say Bynum is 22.5 and Iggy is 26.25, that's more accurate. But anyway, I'm not really looking to move Iguodala, so I would need an offer I can't say no to. I'd much rather simplify it and move Dalembert elsewhere, because a 12 million expiring contract has a lot of value, and just think of what it took to move JJ from the Knicks this year. It took basically 3 first round picks to dump 1 year on a useful player. This is 2 extra years of absolute utter garbage in Walton. I'm not saying it's the same situation as the Knicks, but it's still very hard to move a useless contract (see: Elton Brand).

My offer of Iguodala + Green for Bynum stands, and I'd throw in a 2011 2nd as an "olive branch" as you would say. But outside of that, it's not worth it to me to give you Dalembert in the deal and still take back Walton. It's a shame Sasha doesn't make an extra half million. If you can come up with basically a minimum contract player, Bynum + Sasha + ~450k for Iggy + Sam works, and that might be a good "meet in the middle" trade. Though I'm still skeptical of any Iggy for Bynum deal because Bynum can't manage to stay healthy.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:15 am

^Fair enough.

Bynum has missed a lot of games over the last three years.

Bynum is really, really good when healthy and when he is the lone low post option.

Also, Iguodala is an excellent piece on a good team. If Phila could ever construct a team where he is the third leading scorer, the Sixers would be very, very good.

You're a reasonable dude Korver.

Return to Trades and Transactions