Pistons-Clips Swap Contracts

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

SoCal Al
Sophomore
And1: 0

Pistons-Clips Swap Contracts 

Post#1 » by SoCal Al » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:27 pm

The Pistons supposedly want a starting caliber PG, and the Clippers want to use their cap space; and noone is seemingly going to take it on the free agent market. So...

Clips would trade Baron Davis and 2010 #8 pick to Detroit in exchange for Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Austin Daye, and #38. I know the value is not equal, but Detroit would cut salary this year and complete the transition from the championship years. This deal would also allow Stuckey to log in more time at 2-guard, the deal doesn't affect Gordon's current role, and Jerebko becomes the Pistons full-time starter at the 3.
Davis/Stuckey
Stuckey/Gordon
Jerebko/Summers
Villanueva/Maxiell
Brown/Wilcox
Picks #7 & 8 could be used on frontcourt help

Towards the end of the season Eric Gordon showed signs that he could handle the point, especially on the defensive end. If LA were to do this deal and resign Steve Blake, their pg rotation would be solid. Rip would provide the kind of shooter that they have been looking for since the Kerry Kittles disappointment, and Prince fills the ever vacant SF position.
Gordon/Blake?
Rip/Gordon
Prince/Outlaw?
Griffin/Jordan
Kaman/Jordan

Just how off is this trade? I know that Rip and Baron are 2 players that seem to be unmovable, but just figured i throw something out there.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Re: Pistons-Clips Swap Contracts 

Post#2 » by vege » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:20 pm

:( I don't like it for Detroit and i don't really like it to LAC either.

I don't want to trade Rip for a worse contract and a worse fit and that's what Baron Davis is. Also Prince for the #8 is cool but including Daye doesn't make that part of the trade good.

I understand that part of the value for Detroit is save some money but there is a problem here. Detroit is not getting any cap space with this trade and Prince expiring is worth more than money save. What i am trying to say is, you can trade Prince's expiring for something at the dead line, Prince and Daye for the #8 don't leave Detroit an expiring or any financial flexibility, so i would turn down this trade for Detroit, it makes absolutely no sense.

For LAC i don't like the idea of Eric Gordon playing PG for them, they are better keeping Baron Davis and trying to sign a young SF, maybe Gay or use their cap space trying to get someone like Deng for example.

The value is not far off, i would remove Daye from the trade. Davis for Rip seems about even. Prince for a TPE and the #8 seems ok too. The problem is, both teams are worse after this trade, so the idea isn't really good imo.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#3 » by donemilio21 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:28 pm

as a Clipper fan I don't like this for the following reasons.
Eric Gordon cannot play PG.
#8 pick is more valuable then Prince.
Swapping Baron for Rip is an idea, but Rip is not the SF Clippers are looking for.

However, I believe Clippers would consider a trade like Baron Davis for Rodney Stuckey + Tayshaun Prince.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#4 » by princeofpalace » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:43 pm

donemilio21 wrote:as a Clipper fan I don't like this for the following reasons.
Eric Gordon cannot play PG.
#8 pick is more valuable then Prince.
Swapping Baron for Rip is an idea, but Rip is not the SF Clippers are looking for.

However, I believe Clippers would consider a trade like Baron Davis for Rodney Stuckey + Tayshaun Prince.

LMAO

Clips couldnt get Prince alone for Davis and then you talk about adding Stuckey.... SMH be more realistic. Few teams will be interested in an aging, injury prone Baron Davis on an expensive contract
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#5 » by RTM » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:51 pm

This is terrible for Detroit, and doesn't make sense for LAC either.

donemilio, you can't seriously expect Baron to have that value. It's absurd.
ClipperEric
Rookie
And1: 5

Post#6 » by ClipperEric » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:14 pm

I don't see a deal with Baron to Detroit working out. But the best I could see would be Rip + Stuckey for Baron. The money's fairly close and Stuckey would play PG for LAC.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#7 » by donemilio21 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:14 pm

princeofpalace wrote:
LMAO

Clips couldnt get Prince alone for Davis and then you talk about adding Stuckey.... SMH be more realistic. Few teams will be interested in an aging, injury prone Baron Davis on an expensive contract

Baron Davis missed only 24 games in the last 3 seasons. (7 games this season).
15.3ppg, 3.6rpg, 8.0apg, 1.7spg & 0.6bpg in 75 games of action.
6th in the league for steals per game.
7th in the league for assists per game.
1st in blocks per game amongst all point guards.
9th in points per game amongst all point guards.

Still LYAO?
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#8 » by RTM » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:33 pm

^ Then by all means, he's yours to keep.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#9 » by dVs33 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:37 pm

^^ Prince and stuckey for Boom is ridiculous.
I doesn't matter what stats you put up. You're not getting those two.
Try Rip for Boom.
then the clips can sign a PG over the summer.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#10 » by loflin3hree5ive » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Why not just swap Baron for Tay straight up? Prince and Gordon can share the ball handling duty if Clips can't find another PG.
SoCal Al
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#11 » by SoCal Al » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:04 pm

All great points of contention. the main purpose was to try use the toxic contracts of Rip and Baron to get more than just Prince to LA for the 8th pick overall. I agree that both are worth more to their current teams; my opinion is that Hamilton is a less valuable to the Pistons than Baron is to the Clips. Prince and Stuckey is too much for DET to give up. Austin Daye included was reaching, but all that can happen is a rejection.
My personal belief is that the best use of the 8th pick is to see if Chicago wants to salary dump Deng, and find a way to get Hinrich included.
Lastly, Rudy Gay to the Clippers would be a disaster, in my opinion.

Return to Trades and Transactions