Wolves Offered #4 for Batum?! And Portland Said No?!

LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: Wolves Offered #4 for Batum?! And Portland Said No?! 

Post#41 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:05 pm

EtchenBa wrote:
LApwnd wrote:^^^you dont need to point out that, what I stated you didn't dispprove, EVER fan base has homerism, I merely pointed out Por., from Rudy to Bayless to Batum, seems like anytime someone brings up these 3 names theres some Por fan who looking for some super-star in return for these guys.

Apparently I did need to point it out, because I wasn't even trying to disprove anything you said.

You're exaggerating everything too...

or maybe it's your ****ty grammar. Is "Por fan" singular or plural? Either way the rest of your post is constructed poorly enough as to where it comes into question what you mean some of the time.

plural/singular who gives an F, point being theres no satifying PORTLAND FANS if they're not getting a super-star for their role players....according to your fan base BATUM will most likely become a top 3 SF in this league when it all said and done.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#42 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Guy986 wrote:
Agenda42 wrote:In Portland, I would prefer to have Batum over any of the players you can get with the #4 pick. I am not that excited about any of them, and Batum fits what Portland needs great. It's also worth mentioning that Batum is younger than a lot of the guys who will be taken in the lottery.

I would probably trade Batum for #4 to see if I could work a deal for an established star. I think #4 has more trade value to most teams than Batum does.

I can believe that Portland would turn down #4 for Batum. I really can.

What i dont believe is that Minnesota would just flat out offer the #4 pick for a sophomore who missed closed to 50 games last season. And that person only averaged 10/4 in 25 minutes. You'll have to be utterly convinced that Batum is going to be really really really really special to make that kind of move if you're the wolves.
Houston gave up Rudy Gay for Shane Battier. As much as I like Battier he was a lot older than Batum is now when that went down and had no upside left. He wasn't even close to being as athletic as Batum is and Nic has shown a much more versatile offensive game for France than he has for the Blazers. When we know that the #7 in a weak draft can be traded for an efficient defensive role player it doesn't seem that far-fetched that a superior player is worth more than the #4 in a similarly weak draft.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#43 » by BballFanAddict » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:08 pm

LApwnd wrote:
EtchenBa wrote:
LApwnd wrote:^^^you dont need to point out that, what I stated you didn't dispprove, EVER fan base has homerism, I merely pointed out Por., from Rudy to Bayless to Batum, seems like anytime someone brings up these 3 names theres some Por fan who looking for some super-star in return for these guys.

Apparently I did need to point it out, because I wasn't even trying to disprove anything you said.

or maybe it's your ****ty grammar. Is "Por fan" singular or plural? Either way the rest of your post is constructed poorly enough as to where it comes into question what you mean some of the time.

plural/singular who gives an F, point being theres no satifying PORTLAND FANS if they're not getting a super-star for their role players....according to your fan base BATUM will most likely become a top 3 SF in this league when it all said and done.

I almost put this guy on ignore due to his moniker alone. Should have went with my instincts...

/Ignore
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#44 » by Agenda42 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Guy986 wrote:What i dont believe is that Minnesota would just flat out offer the #4 pick for a sophomore who missed closed to 50 games last season. And that person only averaged 10/4 in 25 minutes. You'll have to be utterly convinced that Batum is going to be really really really really special to make that kind of move if you're the wolves.

It seems like a stretch to me as well. I will say that I think this is a lousy draft to be picking #4 in, especially if you have the bigs Minnesota has.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#45 » by theatlfan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Guy986 wrote:
theatlfan wrote:None of this is to say that POR really would have passed if the trade came up. There are very definite reasons to say no to such a trade for them (they're not rebuilding which would really be the only reason to jump so high in the draft and no one in this draft - with the possible exception of Wall - should convince a team that they should alter their plans in that regard), but to think that something that some reporter heard is most definitely true since he wrote it is simply naive... in all cases - not just in sports.

You know the deal, Its a rumor on the internet. It must be true. From now on ,thanks to Chad Fraud, Batum's going to have the value of a top 3 pick.... atleast on the trade board.
How is this different than what POR fans have been saying for at least the last 2 years? :lol:
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#46 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:14 pm

BballFanAddict wrote:
I almost put this guy on ignore due to his moniker alone. Should have went with my extincts...

/Ignore

awww :x
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#47 » by Guy986 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:17 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
Guy986 wrote:
Agenda42 wrote:In Portland, I would prefer to have Batum over any of the players you can get with the #4 pick. I am not that excited about any of them, and Batum fits what Portland needs great. It's also worth mentioning that Batum is younger than a lot of the guys who will be taken in the lottery.

I would probably trade Batum for #4 to see if I could work a deal for an established star. I think #4 has more trade value to most teams than Batum does.

I can believe that Portland would turn down #4 for Batum. I really can.

What i dont believe is that Minnesota would just flat out offer the #4 pick for a sophomore who missed closed to 50 games last season. And that person only averaged 10/4 in 25 minutes. You'll have to be utterly convinced that Batum is going to be really really really really special to make that kind of move if you're the wolves.
Houston gave up Rudy Gay for Shane Battier. As much as I like Battier he was a lot older than Batum is now when that went down and had no upside left. He wasn't even close to being as athletic as Batum is and Nic has shown a much more versatile offensive game for France than he has for the Blazers. When we know that the #7 in a weak draft can be traded for an efficient defensive role player it doesn't seem that far-fetched that a superior player is worth more than the #4 in a similarly weak draft.

The trade was #8 and Stromile Swift for Shane Battier.

THe trade was done for 2 reasons.
1. To get JVG's Rocket team some veteran help
2. To get rid of Swift's contract.(JVG hated Stromile Swift)

Its a different situation because #4 is obviously alot more valuable than #8. The Rockets used the draft pick to move a bad contract. And Batum is NOT better than the 06 Battier. That's just ridiculous. Batum is younger, has more potential than Battier but to call him a superior player at this stage of his career compared to Battier in his prime?
EtchenBa
Starter
And1: 573

Post#48 » by EtchenBa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:20 pm

LApwnd wrote:
EtchenBa wrote:

I give a **** because I can't understand what point you're making. Were you saying "Portland fans are looking for a superstar in return for these guys" or "A Portland fan was looking for a superstar in return for these guys."

I'm not some sort of grammar Nazi; I don't care about commas or apostrophes, capitalization or misspellings. You make it ambiguous as to what you are even trying to say. It's so easy to misinterpret what you say, so if someone disagrees with you, you can say "OH, well I actually meant something else, I guess you didn't read what I wrote correctly."

And once again you're exaggerating. You're metaphorically just pulling stuff out of your ass.

according to your fan base BATUM will most likely become a top 3 SF in this league when it all said and done.

Really? Are you ****ing serious? Or are you an idiot? What you said means that you think the entire Portland Trail Blazers fanbase[b][/b] thinks that Batum will be better than LeBron, Durant, and Carmelo, not to mention others I'm not including out of simplicity. You're probably just exaggerating again. Ok, I can deal with a little bit of that.

Let's modify your post a little bit to account for the exaggeration.

according to most of your fan base BATUM will most likely become a top 3 SF in this league when it all said and done.

Ok, so now over 50% of Blazer fans think that? Still blasphemous...

Once again, let's modify:

according to some of your fan base BATUM will most likely become a top 3 SF in this league when it all said and done.

Let's say "some" means around 20-25%. Still and idiotic statement

One last time...:

according to one percent of your fan base BATUM will most likely become a top 3 SF in this league when it all said and done.

That statement is even foolhardy. Does ANY actual Blazer fan think that Batum will be better than LeBron, Durant, or Melo?
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#49 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:23 pm

^^^nope but those are kinds of player some your fan base are expecting in return for Batum
EtchenBa
Starter

Post#50 » by EtchenBa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:26 pm

LApwnd wrote:^^^nope but those are kinds of player some your fan base are expecting in return for Batum

holy ****, do you just not know that you continue to horribly exaggerate everything you say?
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#51 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:27 pm

EtchenBa wrote:
LApwnd wrote:^^^nope but those are kinds of player some your fan base are expecting in return for Batum

holy ****, do you just not know that you continue to horribly exaggerate everything you say?

how is it exaggerated when that is what I have seen posted before, I dont have time to go searching around, but I recall seeing some poster make these kinds of request during the year.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#52 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Guy986 wrote:

Its a different situation because #4 is obviously alot more valuable than #8. The Rockets used the draft pick to move a bad contract. And Batum is NOT better than the 06 Battier. That's just ridiculous. Batum is younger, has more potential than Battier but to call him a superior player at this stage of his career compared to Battier in his prime?

I don't think he took the comparison that far but whatever

I'm skeptical of the 'report' as well. That said, there may have been some other factors at work:

for one thing, it seems that GM's and scouts are busy downgrading the overall talent in this draft and don't consider it that impressive, That downgrades the value of the 4th pick as well

For another thing, it seems the value of cap-space is increasing in the minds of GM's

so it's possible the Wolves considered Batum with his 1.9 million salary next season more valuable then the 4th pick with it's 3 million salary. In other words, the Wolves may have thought
Batum + an extra 1.1 million in cap-space > then the 4th pick.

I'm not saying that's the case, just a plausible possibility
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#53 » by farzi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:35 pm

I think it comes down to this from the Portland perspective.

The target would have to be Wes Johnson. You have a 50% chance he's there at 4. Then you also have whatever % chance that he's better / worse than Batum on top of that. Do you make the gamble? Roy is about to enter his prime, and the vets you have here are gonna be good for 1-2 more years, is it worth bringing in ANOTHER rookie?
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#54 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Hahahaha, horse****.
EtchenBa
Starter

Post#55 » by EtchenBa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:54 pm

LApwnd wrote:
EtchenBa wrote:

how is it exaggerated when that is what I have seen posted before, I dont have time to go searching around, but I recall seeing some poster make these kinds of request during the year.

It's exaggerated because the word "some," as you used it refers to a significant portion. Now in your next post you say you recall seeing "some poster." Yes, a single individual poster technically is "some" of our fanbase, but it's never used that way.

You wouldn't say "some of the people on RealGM eat their own children" if one person on RealGM ate their kid.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#56 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:08 pm

^^^well agree to disagree but you being a blazer fan can't deny that you guys do hold a really high value for Batum and thats merely my point, #4 being turned down for Batum isn't surprising due to Batum supposed high ceiling.
EtchenBa
Starter

Post#57 » by EtchenBa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:19 pm

LApwnd wrote:^^^well agree to disagree but you being a blazer fan can't deny that you guys do hold a really high value for Batum and thats merely my point, #4 being turned down for Batum isn't surprising due to Batum supposed high ceiling.

Was that your point? So you admit your claims that Blazer fans think Batum will be a superstar and a top 3 SF were not "your point" but were just bull**** that you pulled out of your ass?
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#58 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:22 pm

^^^nope those came out of other poster of which I would assume are Blazers fans
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,613

Post#59 » by shrink » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:32 pm

I like Batum, but I would have to say that I'd be shocked if MIN offered the #4 for him, for two reasons:

1. More than anything else, MIN needs a franchise player. Batum may be good, but his ceiling isn't at the level of a Favors or Cousins. It doesn't matter if they are bigs - MIN could deal Jefferson or Love.

2. Batum's only has two years left on his rookie scale contract before he becomes an RFA. The pick will have four. If either thrives, MIN will want to keep them. Batum is cheap now, but if he plays well, MIN's paying him well later, if they can even keep him. For the #4, they hold the scale longer, but perhaps just as importantly, they give the #4 four full years living in Minnesota, getting attached to the team, and perhaps, making it harder for him to go elsewhere.

Now, I can't speak for Portland, but MIN's issues aren't the same for them. They need "win-now" production more, while MIN needs "win-later." Taylor may be a billionaire, but Paul Allen is far richer, so money may be less of an issue. The POR fans also have a specific attachment to Batum.

Anyway, I don't think this makes sense for MIN to offer, but I don't have a problem with POR fans that say "no, we'd rather keep our best young player."
EtchenBa
Starter

Post#60 » by EtchenBa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:38 pm

LApwnd wrote:^^^nope those came out of other poster of which I would assume are Blazers fans

I guess this wasn't you and there's someone else named LApwnd on these boards :roll:

LApwnd wrote:

LApwnd wrote:
I've seen Por fans make this claim though, pretty much anything short of a super-star and Batum is not available.....

Return to Trades and Transactions