Spurs get big man -- 2 WAS/SA Trade Ideas

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Spurs get big man -- 2 WAS/SA Trade Ideas 

Post#1 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Washington has talented young bigs who need a better environment and solid veteran leadership. Any of them can help the Spurs. Here are two ideas:

#1 -- Wizards send Andray Blatche and Kevin Seraphin for Antonio McDyess, Tiago Splitter, and a 1st round pick.

Blatche is versatile enough to play PF or C. He can score, rebound, pass, and has a very good handle for a big. Seraphin is a physical specimen with great athleticism, shot blocking ability, and he plays with intensity. Washington cuts ties with Blatche for the 1st, gets salary cap relief with McDyess (who they may eventually amnesty), and gets a mature international player, Splitter. Wizards also stockpile picks for future trade opportunities. Gives the Spurs a great chance to win with bigs who can help Tim Duncan. Pick can be a 2012 or 2013 first.

#2 Wizards send Javale McGee, SF Larry Owens, 2nd round pick for DeJuan Blair, James Anderson, and a 1st Round pick.

McGee gives the Spurs a tremendous weak side shot blocker who is IMO extremely underrated. As a Wizard fan I doubt McGee will achieve much more under Flip Saunders. I think he would give SA an excellent shot at a title. Blair is what the Wizards need on the boards and inside. He is INTENSE. I see him not playing as well with SA as he would with the Wizards. I think Anderson might still be a good perimeter shooter, despite last season's struggles. The 1st gives the Wizards a future trade chip. Owens played very well for the Spurs last season, before the Wizards picked him up.

Thoughts? Is either or are both decent ideas?
Bye bye Beal.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Re: Spurs get big man -- 2 WAS/SA Trade Ideas 

Post#2 » by Ballings7 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:21 pm

I dig the 2nd one...
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
dirtymike
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#3 » by dirtymike » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:25 pm

WOW! Nice!!!
Plan B: Make Plan A work- Dirty Mike
dirtymike
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#4 » by dirtymike » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:30 pm

after what Memphis did to them in the playoffs, they saw that in the West, you need more than just a team full of swingmen! Blair is a beast, dont get me wrong now...but he was no match for Gasol/Randolf tandem. Or the Bynum/Gasol team. Nice move Spurs. As a Lakers fan, its hurts me to write that.
Plan B: Make Plan A work- Dirty Mike
CLIN
Junior
And1: 46

Post#5 » by CLIN » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:35 pm

I don't really like either of these. The first one is plausible but I know that the wiz are really high on javale so the second one no way.

I forget the trade exactly, but I think minny wanted javale for the 2nd overall pick and the wiz declined. It might have been javale and the 6th or 18th pick though, I don't remember exactly.
RealGM

Post#6 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:45 pm

I thought I was posting this in trade thread. Sorry.

Mods, feel free to move this if you're monitoring.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#7 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:46 pm

CLIN wrote:I don't really like either of these. The first one is plausible but I know that the wiz are really high on javale so the second one no way.

I forget the trade exactly, but I think minny wanted javale for the 2nd overall pick and the wiz declined. It might have been javale and the 6th or 18th pick though, I don't remember exactly.

If Derrick Williams turns out to be as it seems he might, the Wizards will regret not taking he second pick if that was the offer.

I think the offer was McGee and the sixth pick, which, IMO would have been terrible for the Wizards.

McGee for just the second pick, and the Wizards keep their sixth would have been a really good deal for both teams, IMO. McGee is way better than Darko. It would have given the Wolves a legit C.
Bye bye Beal.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#8 » by miller31time » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I thought I was posting this in trade thread. Sorry.

Mods, feel free to move this if you're monitoring.

Done. (Stop causing trouble, CCJ. :D )

And to the post...

1. I don't like this. We are past the point of stockpiling young players and need to focus on the ones we do have, IMO.

2. Eh, maybe, but I'm not enamored with it. I'm not a fan of JaVale but I do see that he has immense potential. Blaire, OTOH, seems to have limited potential and is one of those "what you see is what you get"-type players. He'd help us more than JaVale currently, but I'd take the chance on McGee becoming what he hope he can.
MitchSlapped
Starter
And1: 32

Post#9 » by MitchSlapped » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Spurs wouldn't do the first, Wizards wouldn't do the second.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#10 » by montestewart » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Even if the Wizards decide McGee isn't in their future, I wonder whether he could be used for a better piece. Whatever baggage an unachieved potential he has, he's still young and gets higher than anyone in the league. That potenital is clearly still there, and I'll bet some coaches and GMs think they can tap into it. Packaging McGee together with other assets (Blatche, Vesely, Crawford, picks) for a serious 1st line player seems a better route.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Post#11 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Blatche + Pop = disaster.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
HireIsaiah
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by HireIsaiah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Players like Magee are hard to come by. He's really raw but you can't give up on a player like him. Spurs need to give more than just Dajuan blair and a late first rounder. Anderson doesn't seemt to be worth much.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#13 » by Narf » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
CLIN wrote:I don't really like either of these. The first one is plausible but I know that the wiz are really high on javale so the second one no way.

If Derrick Williams turns out to be as it seems he might, the Wizards will regret not taking he second pick if that was the offer.

I think the offer was McGee and the sixth pick, which, IMO would have been terrible for the Wizards.

McGee for just the second pick, and the Wizards keep their sixth would have been a really good deal for both teams, IMO. McGee is way better than Darko. It would have given the Wolves a legit C.

I don't think the Wolves offered #2 for McGee. Someone might have posted a rumor somewhere somehow, but that doesn't make it legit.
call.me.dude
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#14 » by call.me.dude » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:34 am

miller31time wrote:
Done. (Stop causing trouble, CCJ. :D )

And to the post...

1. I don't like this. We are past the point of stockpiling young players and need to focus on the ones we do have, IMO.

2. Eh, maybe, but I'm not enamored with it. I'm not a fan of JaVale but I do see that he has immense potential. Blaire, OTOH, seems to have limited potential and is one of those "what you see is what you get"-type players. He'd help us more than JaVale currently, but I'd take the chance on McGee becoming what he hope he can.

Just for my understanding: Your speaking from a Wizards perspective, right?
If so, I don't agree with your assessment. Obviously you know you're team better than I do, but hear me out on this.
First of all, Wall is still very young, still has A LOT to improve on (he'll be awesome though) and won't be going anywhere for YEARS to come. So you still have time to restructure your roster IMO and should try to acquire young talent for at least one more season.
Second of all, Andray Blatche will never be part of a winning basketball team IMO. At least not in a role that has him playing more than 20 mpg. I'd rather lose 10 games more a season for two seasons than playing that stat-whore 30+ mpg.
Thirdly, you guys have Jan Vesely at PF, who I see becoming a better player (slightly worse version of AK47, who was awesome a couple years ago) than Blatche is and who plays with a lot of energy and can run the floor with Wall. While Blatche might make sense to pair w/ Vesely because of their different games (Blatche: scoring, Vesely: energy), I can't imagine Blatche accepting less minutes or eventually playing behind Vesely. So getting another young player that won't demand as many minutes from the start or a competent veteran backup (that would start now as Vesely probably isn't ready to start yet) + a draft pick would make more sense for the future. It would definitely cost you some wins now, but would help you more in the long run IMO.

I'm not at all saying the first deal is great for the Wizards (not even saying that I would take it), but I really think that you should get rid of Blatche.
YiJiLi wrote:Raymond Felton is better than TP...
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#15 » by TheOUTLAW » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:43 am

SA might actually be able to turn Blatche into a decent player.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#16 » by fugop » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:56 am

We've barely started stockpiling young talent. We have two lottery picks on the roster, for Christ's sake, and one's Vesely, a questionable pick in a crapshoot draft.

Blatche was drafted with the 19th pick in the 2nd round.
Booker was drafted 23rd in the 1st round.
Crawford was drafted 27th in the 1st round.
Rashard Lewis was drafted 3rd in the 2nd round.
Javale McGee was drafted 18th in the 1st round.
Hamady N'Diaye was drafted 26th in the 2nd round.
Kevin Seraphin was drafted 17th in the 1st round.
Nick Young was drafted 16th in the 1st round.

I haven't checked this, but we probably have the fewest lottery picks of any team in the league. It's the product of a half dozen years of marginal-playoff mediocrity and a few questionable decisions (#5 for Foye/Miller). We are a step behind other rebuilding teams in terms of talent acquisition, and shouldn't expect overproduction from our long-shot late round picks.

It's painful to hear that, but it's reality. Barring a miracle, we've got at least two more years of sucking before we'll have enough talent to compete, much less contend.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#17 » by old rem » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:24 am

I don't see why the Wiz do either of these. Blatche was frustrating ,but simply is a much better talent than splitter. McGee is a young C who can D and is still developing.
CENSORED... No comment.
RealGM

Post#18 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:41 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:SA might actually be able to turn Blatche into a decent player.

+1

He can also do things for them no other big besides Duncan can do. Blatche can block shots some, can defend when motivated, and is a capable passer. I don't know that he's better than Splitter but I know Blatche when hot can be a beast of a scorer.

I think Andray needs to be a super sub at either PF or C, and that he would be a terrific fourth option behind Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan. Having perimeter shooters as accurate as Neat and Bonner would help Blatche do damage inside. Having Popovic not allow the BS that Flip does would make Blatche better. I think Blatche would do well with the Spurs second unit, along side Blair or Splitter.

Blatche is a better-than-average basketball player.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#19 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:49 am

old rem wrote:I don't see why the Wiz do either of these. Blatche was frustrating ,but simply is a much better talent than splitter. McGee is a young C who can D and is still developing.

The Wizards are going to have a bad record with inexperienced players and under Flip Saunders.

Flip tends to play Blatche way too many minutes and to tolerate bad shots, lax defense, and not strong rebounding from a player who's capable of doing better. McGee is a player Flip will (mark my words) put in his dog house. McGee makes mental mistakes but IMO is the best talent on the team aside from Wall. He's better at C right now than Wall is at PG (because Wall is young and has a LOT to work on, agree with earlier post). That said, I proposed this more to free McGee and to get the Wizards what I thought might be comparable.

The picks are my only hope for engineering a major trade, along with Lewis' contract.

I think the team definitely needs to trade Andray Blatche or Fire Flip Saunders (I prefer the latter). I think McGee is a fine talent, but this coach won't do much to maximize Javale's strengths. Flip has a system that does not take advantage of the end-to-end speed and finishing ability of the McGee. Saunders loves jump shots from midrange.

I would rather trade his jump shooting big (Blatche) or his whipping boy (McGee) than see more of the same as a Wizard fan.
Bye bye Beal.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#20 » by willbcocks » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:13 am

Blatche for Dice + 2012 SA first round pick.

Blatche could turn it around in SA, and if not, they've not really lost anything substantial. Plus his contract isnt' bad.

For the Wiz, they don't have the lockerroom to absorb Blatche and turn him into a good player. Addition by subtraction.

Return to Trades and Transactions