Team Needs: Post yours (And a look back at last year)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Re: Team Needs: Post yours (And a look back at last year) 

Post#81 » by Trader_Joe » Sat May 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Anyway.. guess we can look at 2013-2014 now.
Maybe time for a new thread?

Nets

A Coach

-Doc Rivers
Nets are said to be enamored with him and there are rumors of a possible rift between Ainge and Rivers. If Boston rebuilds, perhaps, but they would want compensation. I read the Knicks, Heat and Miami had to compensate teams for Riley, SVG and JVG in the form a first round pick int he past.

-Brian Shaw
Nets have permission to interview Shaw after the playoffs are over for the Pacers. He seems like the favorite so far and has a reputation for developing young players, which is a priority of ownership and the front office

-Lionel Hollins
Supposedly his contract ends after this season and with Hollinger there, perhaps he sees Hollins as expendable acc. to his stats. I've heard Hollins isn't big on statistical analysis, so there might be a rift.

-Other long shots include Jerry Sloan, Mike Budenholzer (SAS asst), David Joerger (MEM asst), and Larry Brown.

Free Agents
-Resign Blatche
Nets hope he takes the minimum as he's alluded to being fine to do, since he still gets paid by Washington (and he's made comments saying he wants them to have to pay as much as possible) and the Nets can pay him in a year when they get his Bird Rights.

-Watson
If he opts in, great. If not, we need a veteran back up PG. Telfair has expressed a desire to be in NYC next season.

-Kris Jospeh
Has a non-guaranteed contract for next season. No idea if he makes the team or not.Probably not unless he shows some rather impressive growth by next Fall.

-Mini MLE
Will probably be used on Bogdanovic a 6'8" SG (as he calls himself) who's rights we've had for some time. He adds scoring and shooting from the wings which we need, but is probably going to be a liability defensibly.

-Minimum signings
Not a lot of roster spots, but I would hope we target veteran shooters. Anthony Morrow would be welcome back and he's talked about missing the Nets

Draft

-#22 - An athletic big man/back-up C would be ideal. Dieng, Gobert, Withey, S.Adams are some targets

-$3m cash will probably be used to either move up, or buy a 2nd rounder or two like we have the last couple years. I think Euros are the way to go since they don't have to come over right away.

Trade:
-HBAP
With a new coach perhaps they won't be so quick to move Brooks, but Hump is a goner. Ideally they wait until the deadline when his contract is 80% paid and we know our team needs better, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he's moved as soon as possible. Possible targets include Nene, Lee, Boozer, Ilyasova, Garnett, etc.

2013-2014 Brooklyn Nets

HC: TBD

Deron Williams / (CJ Watson) / Tyshawn Taylor
Joe Johnson / (Bojan Bogdanovic) / (Anthony Morrow)
Gerlad Wallace / Toko Shengelia / (Kris Joseph)
Andray Blatche / Reggie Evans / Mirza Teletovic
Brook Lopez / #22
+
HBAP
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#82 » by Mr. E » Fri May 17, 2013 7:13 pm

x- wrote:Houston: Power forwards. Preferably 6-9 or shorter.

On a serious note, still looking for a foundation piece. Dwight, Bynum, future picks that might become one. Not really focused on a position. Always looking to upgrade the asset pool.

What a difference a year makes, eh?
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,469

Post#83 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri May 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Mr. E wrote:What a difference a year makes, eh?

Mascot wrote:Toronto still needs a SF
Still needs to trade Calderon
Still needs to trade Bargnani

and this will probably never change while we still have Bryan Colangelo so we need him gone as well.

Amazingly 2 did.

Also, looking back at the Prince is a keeper and has been assured he won't be traded was worth the read. It made no sense to outsiders then, but we kept being told it was true and that we didn't understand Joe D. and even for a mid first rounder he would stay there.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#84 » by Trader_Joe » Fri May 17, 2013 7:53 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

and this will probably never change while we still have Bryan Colangelo so we need him gone as well.

Amazingly 2 did.

Also, looking back at the Prince is a keeper and has been assured he won't be traded was worth the read. It made no sense to outsiders then, but we kept being told it was true and that we didn't understand Joe D. and even for a mid first rounder he would stay there.

I remember the Nets assured Favors he wasn't getting traded either.
I think they meant that day.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,984

Post#85 » by moocow007 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:51 am

Right now the Knicks needs are:

A. A true 2nd option so that everyone and their mom don't just swarm Carmelo in the playoffs and force JR Smith to beat them. Smith did a real nice job in the regular season but he's really not a real 2nd option and was exposed against the Pacers tough defense in the playoffs.

B. Someone that can create their own shot to help when the ball movement bogs down. Ideally it would be covered by that 2nd option but if they can't find a true no.2 then maybe a no.2.5 type.

C. Younger and more athletic. Age and all the negatives that come with it clearly caught up with them against the younger and more athletic Pacers. Preferably the athleticism comes either with some size or in one or both of what would satisfy A. and/or B.

D. Rebounding help. Maybe the answer is Camby who Woodson inexplicably refused to play. But they obviously néed help....which the Pacers series clearly showed. Ideally it would roll into need C (a young(er) and athletic rebounding big).

E. Someone that can backup at the point. With Kidd looking every bit of 40 and Prigioni possibly returning home (wifey apparently wants to go back) they'll need a backup point. Ideally it would be someone that can maybe do some of B.

F. A head coach that one can feel would actually be a plus in the playoffs.

Need not apply: Joe Johnson, a Andrea Bargnani & Landry Fields tandem.

Willing to trade: anyone but Anthony.
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#86 » by PetroNet » Sat May 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Nets Needs:

1) A true rim protector(i.e. not just a shot blocker). a big who can prevent gaurds from getting past him and finishing at a super high rate. who can differ their direction on switches, trap and hedge and hold ground on pick and rolls, play great SMART help defense, and alter shots on driving wings. Looking back at the film on last year, it was alarming how many gaurds drove right past our bigs for layups, or worse, finshed right in their mugs

2) An emotional leader. someone who shows passion on the floor. someone who is going to work hard and let everyone know how much they want to win. someone who lives and breathes basketball.

3) explosiveness(not just athletecism) and defense on the wing. someone who can play in transition, someone who can finish above the rim in traffic. someone who can stay in front of other wings and stop penetration. we dont have 1 explosive player on this team.

4) A shooter at the 2/3 spot. someone who is stone cold if left open in the corner from 3.

i'd love to add guys like Stephen Jackson, Boozer, Morrow, Korver, Green, etc...
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#87 » by Trader_Joe » Sat May 25, 2013 10:35 pm

PetroNet wrote:Nets Needs:

1) A true rim protector(i.e. not just a shot blocker). a big who can prevent gaurds from getting past him and finishing at a super high rate. who can differ their direction on switches, trap and hedge and hold ground on pick and rolls, play great SMART help defense, and alter shots on driving wings. Looking back at the film on last year, it was alarming how many gaurds drove right past our bigs for layups, or worse, finshed right in their mugs

2) An emotional leader. someone who shows passion on the floor. someone who is going to work hard and let everyone know how much they want to win. someone who lives and breathes basketball.

3) explosiveness(not just athletecism) and defense on the wing. someone who can play in transition, someone who can finish above the rim in traffic. someone who can stay in front of other wings and stop penetration. we dont have 1 explosive player on this team.

4) A shooter at the 2/3 spot. someone who is stone cold if left open in the corner from 3.

i'd love to add guys like Stephen Jackson, Boozer, Morrow, Korver, Green, etc...

Agree with what you say, but wouldn't it be nice to have a guard to prevent guards blowing right past them and attacking the rim?

Deron wasn't able to do it for half the season, JJ, Watson and Brooks couldn't all season. Bogans was pretty much the only competent defender we had in our back court.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#88 » by spearsy23 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
PetroNet wrote:Nets Needs:

Agree with what you say, but wouldn't it be nice to have a guard to prevent guards blowing right past them and attacking the rim?

Deron wasn't able to do it for half the season, JJ, Watson and Brooks couldn't all season. Bogans was pretty much the only competent defender we had in our back court.

Any interest in Ronnie brewer? I actually think the thunder might be stashing him as a cheap alternative when thabo expires but couldn't hurt to check around.

Edit: turns out he's a FA, I thought he had another year on his contract. Any interest in him as a FA pickup?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#89 » by Trader_Joe » Sun May 26, 2013 9:34 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Edit: turns out he's a FA, I thought he had another year on his contract. Any interest in him as a FA pickup?

We're gonna be a little crowded on the wings

JJ / Bogdanovic / Brooks
Wallace / Shengelia / Joseph

Though Joseph is not guaranteed and Brooks seemingly trade bait.

He would have to take the minimum, and while I liked him in the past, he looked flat out fat and chunky on NY.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#90 » by spearsy23 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Edit: turns out he's a FA, I thought he had another year on his contract. Any interest in him as a FA pickup?

We're gonna be a little crowded on the wings

JJ / Bogdanovic / Brooks
Wallace / Shengelia / Joseph

Though Joseph is not guaranteed and Brooks seemingly trade bait.

He would have to take the minimum, and while I liked him in the past, he looked flat out fat and chunky on NY.

The way you personally are shopping HBAP there's no way brooks is still on the team by October :D
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
BHBMAN
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#91 » by BHBMAN » Tue Jun 4, 2013 8:31 pm

Blazers desperately need a Center.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#92 » by old rem » Fri Jun 7, 2013 12:55 pm

GSW

They are a bit under Lux Tax and would LIKE to keep both Landry and Jack...both of whom can opt out...and might. Landry is NOT Bird Rights......so....re-upping him would require using MLE before Jack is re-sighned (Jack is Bird rights) assumoing both get some more $. B Rush is expected back. He can be a big + if 100%,and Bogut starting the year in good shape also helps.

The young guys...Thompson,Barnes,Festus, Dray Green...all come back a bit more experienced but GSW has no picks.

GSW will look to buy a rd 2, but EXPECTS few changes and the most likely will be the last few bench spots.

In several recent years...GSW began a season with over half the roster new from the start of the prior year. This time...If Landry (or Jack) escapes, then GSW would look to replace that guy....otherwise.... It's some minimum $ sleepers to fill the #14,#15 roster spots.

Biedrins and R Jeff......won't just vanish...not yet. but in a year expire...$20 mill. GSW will not want to replace them with longer $ hits (unless they LIKE who they'd get)....and GSW won't sacrifice any "keepers" to hasten their exit. GSW's '14 pick only can be moved after this draft...but having lost the '13 pick...I suspect they will be reluctant to lose another. Expected to be around #20....it won't be a BIG chip. GSW might be more inclined to include the 2015. That said......GSW has a starting 5 they are fine with and a second 5 they can trust. The 2 bad contract guys will be expiring.

Landry is the main question.......there's at least a 50% chance he gets away. If so....then GSW...is looking to get the "best available" PF with MLE $

Some seem to think GSW is apt to trade David Lee cheap. Not likely. Mark Jackson was happy to play him. He's productive. He's not young...nor "too old" and GSW likes his reliable production up front. They also do not want to break up the G duo of Curry-Klay.....as having multiple 3 pt sharpshooters is a bonus....makes it harder to D them.
CENSORED... No comment.
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#93 » by Mascot » Sat Jun 8, 2013 12:06 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

Amazingly 2 did.

and now BC is gone and MU is said to be shopping Bargnani hard already and wants him gone before July 1!
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#94 » by teerfour+40LG » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:13 am

I'll post for SAC.

1. starter who can shut down the paint.

2. A small forward who can shoot spot up threes.
HartfordWhalers

Post#95 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 am

Feel free to keep adding here, but come August we will get a new one up.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#96 » by djthesonicsfan » Mon Jul 1, 2013 10:28 pm

djthesonicsfan wrote:Our biggest need is more information...

We need to know if Martin is a difference making player come June. He'll need to be if he wants to come back next year. But unless we get rid of Perk's contract, salary tax implications favor Lamb, even though he hasn't been afforded a legit opportunity to demonstrate his abilities this season.

However, Perk has been playing much better of late. Almost as if he's more than just a thug. But the Lakers, the team I personally was most worried about at the start of the season, suck. Because they are old. Still leaves Memphis, the Clips and San Antonio. And we will need Perk, or someone as tough, to get past all those teams. No Perk, no finals. Still, we need to find out if we can (want to?) afford to get a young, tough center who can also contribute low post offense. Lots of possibilities... including amnesty, do nothing, trade, draft, free agent, etc.

No matter what Perk is not the answer against the Heat. Which is why I'm so incredibly surprised Brooks hasn't invested more in developing PJ3... a guy who could, if he achieves half his potential, actually help against he Heat. So we need to find out if PJ3 is a contributor. And, if so, how to maximize that contribution. Hope you're listening Brooks.

Still, with all that, the bottom line problem for not winning the title is most likely going to be Durant. In that as good, no, great as he is, LeBron still just bitch slaps him in the finals. Sadly, I'm not seeing a lot we're going to be able to do about that.

What we don't need... three more rookies. One, maybe. But not three. It is going to be interesting to see how Presti takes care of that situation.

Time has gone by so let's see what wants to be adjusted...

Edit: Obviously our biggest team need is to recover the incriminating photos Fisher must have!
:waaa:

First of all, the jury verdict is in on Martin. Not a difference making player. At least on the notSonics. I would be stunned if he returns. However, having said that I was stunned when Presti (Bennett?) traded The Beard. Bottom line is team need #1 is Lamb delivers the goods. I'm thinking he will. We will see.

Second, Perk is a thug. Plain and simple. And that's ok. Thugs are valuable when used correctly. That has not been the case. Perks minutes are a horse on Brooks. Team need #2 is that Brooks finds a way to utilize Perk's capabilities properly.

Which directly leads to need #3... Brooks finds a way to incorporate PJ3 into the rotation. Or at least give him a legit chance during meaningful minutes. Minutes that should not be automatically given forever to Perk. Another horse on Brooks, who needs to remember that championships can not be won until June. For championship caliber teams November to May is a time to explore possibilities and develop young players so that when the playoffs arrive ALL the players are ready to go and the coach has legit understandings of the levers he can pull given various scenarios. It's all part of the coaching learning curve. We need to remember that big picture Brooks is still quite a young coach. It's true he has the trust & respect of his team. And that is paramount. However, Brooks needs to continue developing as a coach.

Team need #4 is Steve Adams can't suck. He's got 1.5 years until Perk can likely be traded as an expiring. He's got to learn to play the game during this time. In Tulsa. Frankly, I'm not optimistic on his chances. We have consistently failed big time over the past forty plus years when drafting developmentally challenged centers. I'm sure we have by far the worst record in the NBA at that. Probably the entire world. Ever. Not that I'm bitter.

#5 is a healthy Westbrook. Had to be said.

#6 is a bit iffy, but since it's a list the conventional wisdom is that we get a third point guard. Royal Ivey perhaps? Eh, a decision wants to be made regarding whether or not a third string PG is more important than keeping Orton or Liggins. Pretty sure it's just 14 guys again. Whatever.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,105

Post#97 » by Matches Malone » Tue Jul 9, 2013 2:40 am

^^
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#98 » by Mascot » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:03 am

Mascot wrote:Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:09 pm
Toronto still needs a SF

Toronto

Kyle Lowry/DJ Augustin/Dwight Buycks
DeMar DeRozan/Terrence Ross
Rudy Gay/Steve Novak/Landry Fields
Amir Johnson/Tyler Hansbrough/Quincy Acey
Jonas Valanciunas/Aaron Gray

well
we have Rudy Gay
Jose gone
Bargnani gone
BC gone

next we need
Casey gone
Backup Center
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,670

Post#99 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:52 am

Portland has Robin Lopez who I like but we could still use some improvement at center. Ideally we could find more depth, Meyers isn't my favorite option considering that so far he hasn't shown any desire to play defense.
HartfordWhalers

Post#100 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Letting this float off, as a new list is up.

Return to Trades and Transactions