The Pau Gasol Pickle

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

habibadobe
Sophomore
And1: 3

Re: The Pau Gasol Pickle 

Post#21 » by habibadobe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:40 am

I could see the Jazz being interested not sure what would work with the salary cap. The Jazz have lots of space next year but not sure if Gasol was a free agent they would sign him for 20mil. I think Millsap would be a great fit with the Lakers. Maybe a 3 way with Houston. Lakers get Millsap, Kevin Martin. Jazz get Gasol. Houston gets Jefferson. Not sure that is perfectly balanced so maybe a throw in guy here or there.

As a Jazz fan I would hate to give up that cap space next year, but Gasol might be better then anyone that would come to the Jazz despite how much cap room we have. Dont really see Chris Paul, Dwight or really any max player talking to the Jazz other then to leverage the team they want to sign with.
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#22 » by Kupchak9 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:07 am

Pau for Ersan+fillers is probably the best trade scenario for the Lakers and Bucks.

LA is overpaying for Pau, he isn't going to maximize his talents by being a stretch 4, might as well get what your looking for and pay half the price by swapping him for Ersan. Pau would be better off playing Center for the Bucks, he'll be a true inside presence and return as a regular 18 and 10 guy.
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#23 » by Kupchak9 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:31 am

LAL out: Gasol Duhon MEM 2nd
LAL in: Ersan Marion Sanders

Outgoing Salary: 22.3mil
Incoming Salary: 18.6mil

Lakers get their stretch 4 and cut salary.

MIL out: Ersan Dalembert Sanders
MIL in: Gasol

Outgoing Salary: 17.3mil
Incoming Salary: 19mil

They get their Center to play along with Jennings and Ellis giving them a playoff berth

DAL out: Marion
DAL in: Dalembert Duhon MEM 2nd

Outgoing Salary: 8.7mil
Incoming Salary: 10mil

They get more spending power next year and a backup big for Kaman,
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#24 » by parson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:20 am

How much money in expirings would be enough for Gasol? The Hawks could offer ALL expirings (we'll have $26 million in expirings, not counting Smith and Teague's contracts). For example, we could offer Devin Harris, Kyle Korver and Johan Petro, $17 million, for Gasol's $19 million.

And, please, please stop with the Josh Smith for Pau Gasol trades. Enough, already. Gasol is not going to get the Lakers a young PF who better fits LA's needs (perimeter defense, speed, quickness, overall defense), especially when the other team would have to eat Gasol's contract.

Besides, we've got to keep Smith in order to tempt Dwight Howard to LEAVE y'all and join us...
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#25 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:55 am

LoyalKing wrote:Find it hard to believe that MIL would be enticed by this offer.

Gasol will be 33 y/old and there's no guarantee he will re-sign with Milwaukee. Look at what happened after the Bogut/Monta trade.

Plus, i don't think he is still a top20 player, especially considering how pathetic he was in the playoffs the past 2 seasons. I can easily name 20 players better/with more impact than Gasol right now, old or young ones.

Milwaukee pushed all their chips in for the playoff hunt when they traded their best asset for a bordeline allstar sg opposed to multiple picks/prospects..so the idea that all of the sudden bringing in a top 5 PF is out of the question just because he's 33 is pretty silly. I watched Hensen in summer league and he's a stud and has shot blocking prowess already. Tobias Harrs was also very impressive.

Jennings
Ellis
T.Harris
Henson
Gasol

With the East wide open right now after the Heat that can very well be a 3rd seed.

JR : Next Gen
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:02 am

parson wrote:How much money in expirings would be enough for Gasol? The Hawks could offer ALL expirings (we'll have $26 million in expirings, not counting Smith and Teague's contracts). For example, we could offer Devin Harris, Kyle Korver and Johan Petro, $17 million, for Gasol's $19 million.

And, please, please stop with the Josh Smith for Pau Gasol trades. Enough, already. Gasol is not going to get the Lakers a young PF who better fits LA's needs (perimeter defense, speed, quickness, overall defense), especially when the other team would have to eat Gasol's contract.

Besides, we've got to keep Smith in order to tempt Dwight Howard to LEAVE y'all and join us...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d9a2adc

warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#27 » by warren weel im » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:05 am

I like the Ilyasova fit next to Howard. A very good rebounder for his size, more of a PF compared to Pau and has the real range outside 15 feet. He'd give 14ppg 10rpg easy on a team like ours just on pure kickouts/cleanups. He doesn't even have to be passed to for him to score.

All other else is gravy.
LoyalKing
Veteran
And1: 1,392

Post#28 » by LoyalKing » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:37 am

GhostX wrote:
LoyalKing wrote:Find it hard to believe that MIL would be enticed by this offer.

Gasol will be 33 y/old and there's no guarantee he will re-sign with Milwaukee. Look at what happened after the Bogut/Monta trade.

Plus, i don't think he is still a top20 player, especially considering how pathetic he was in the playoffs the past 2 seasons. I can easily name 20 players better/with more impact than Gasol right now, old or young ones.

Milwaukee pushed all their chips in for the playoff hunt when they traded their best asset for a bordeline allstar sg opposed to multiple picks/prospects..so the idea that all of the sudden bringing in a top 5 PF is out of the question just because he's 33 is pretty silly. I watched Hensen in summer league and he's a stud and has shot blocking prowess already. Tobias Harrs was also very impressive.

Jennings
Ellis
T.Harris
Henson
Gasol

With the East wide open right now after the Heat that can very well be a 3rd seed.

Milwaukee did not push all their chips for the playoff hunt. They simply got tired because Bogut could never be healthy. If he was healthy, the Bucks would actually be a playoff team in the East and they would not have traded him for Monta in the 1st place.
Monta is healthy enough, but he doesn't want to stay in Milwaukee and that's gonna be the same case with Gasol.

The silly part is trading a young PF + 1st round pick + another former 1st round pick for a PF/C that will play only 1 year and leave after that.
parson
RealGM

Post#29 » by parson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:59 am

GhostX wrote:
parson wrote:How much money in expirings would be enough for Gasol? The Hawks could offer ALL expirings (we'll have $26 million in expirings, not counting Smith and Teague's contracts). For example, we could offer Devin Harris, Kyle Korver and Johan Petro, $17 million, for Gasol's $19 million.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d9a2adc

You did that just for me, didn't you? ATL sends out Josh Smith and gets back Pau Gasol, how droll. And I see we get to send Zaza Pachulia, as well. We give up the younger, more athletic, cheaper player and are allowed by our generous Laker benefactors to add $19,285,850 to our cap. NEVER gonna happen, Laker fans.

I really don't know how many times we have to say NO before y'all hear us....
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
parson
RealGM

Post#30 » by parson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:03 am

How about http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cd6ystc ?

As I said earlier, it's Devin Harris, Kyle Korver and Johan Petro for 2 years of Gasol. LA saves $2 million immediately and $19+ million after the season.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#31 » by bullsnewdynasty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:18 am

GhostX wrote:

Jennings
Ellis
T.Harris
Henson
Gasol

If Pau is so good that you think he can boost a 9th seed to a 3rd seed, then why are you trying to trade him for Ersan Ilyasova?

In reality, that team is a 7th seed at best.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:31 am

bullsnewdynasty wrote:
GhostX wrote:

Jennings
Ellis
T.Harris
Henson
Gasol

If Pau is so good that you think he can boost a 9th seed to a 3rd seed, then why are you trying to trade him for Ersan Ilyasova?

In reality, that team is a 7th seed at best.

for tax reasons

LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#33 » by LApwnd » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:37 am

funny how Illyasova only shot above 40% once in his career and oddly enough happened during contract year :o , some people fall for the hype quite easily....

Parson nobody in their right mind would trade for that garbage package....one year less of Pau contract to the detriment of the championship chase isn't what Mitch/Jim are looking to do.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#34 » by LApwnd » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:43 am

I want to address OP issue with Pau....its quite idiotic to destroy a 2014/2015 plan just to dump Pau when he's still produce 17/10 last season. Yes he sucked balls in the playoffs but so did that other cry baby Bynum. While his salary is bloated, how many other PF avg. 17/10 and nearly 4 assist?
Lin Your Face
Bench Warmer
And1: 48

Post#35 » by Lin Your Face » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:19 am

I agree that Pau is still a very good player around the top 20 range. A few of these ideas are okay if the Lakers want to save money, but I think they should just keep Pau so they have a shot to win it all this year. Pau should be great for the princeton offense and the Lakers probably aren't going to be better than they are this year for a while.
Take a second to join a fantasy football freeroll to win $1000: http://www.draftstreet.com/l/fr_nfl2013.aspx?pid=118&r=gwater&subid=
Top 100 win cash.

The Supreme Court ruled fantasy sports gambling's legal.DraftStreet's in NY not the Caymans.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#36 » by warren weel im » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 am

LApwnd wrote:I want to address OP issue with Pau....its quite idiotic to destroy a 2014/2015 plan just to dump Pau when he's still produce 17/10 last season. Yes he sucked balls in the playoffs but so did that other cry baby Bynum. While his salary is bloated, how many other PF avg. 17/10 and nearly 4 assist?

The issue is not to "trade Pau Gasol at all costs and get whatever package you can out of him" ... the premise was set to when it becomes a pickle of a situation. Atleast you got alternatives then, and not just a mere scramble of "what do I do now" ...

The Lakers can manage, and most of all can actually afford. Championships just cost alot more these days. However, our franchise has been proven to be willing to pay the price for banner 17.

The premise is how to address the Pau situation if and when it arises. If you should know, I was a proponent of bringing in Deron Williams for Andrew Bynum as my sig suggests (last July) ... that shows/proves how much I love Pau Gasol as a Laker.
parson
RealGM

Post#37 » by parson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:12 pm

LApwnd wrote:Parson nobody in their right mind would trade for that garbage package....one year less of Pau contract to the detriment of the championship chase isn't what Mitch/Jim are looking to do.

All 3 players have expiring contracts. This is a $19 million salary purge for the Lakers. Plus, Harris is a good PG and Korver is better than MWP and would really fit in well with Dwight Howard.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#38 » by Prospect Dong » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Gasol is still a high value player and the best answer may be to give him a Jefferson-like deal that SAS used to avoid the LT one year. In such a situation, Gasol forgoes his $19mm salary next season and signs a new 4-year $44-46mm deal, which would even out the money and generate savings with lower future LT obligations. Gasol's game will last at least 3 more years at a high level. He does not depend on mere athletic ability and small reductions in minutes will also prolong his career.

So you have Gasol giving up 8 million in the first year just for the privilege of signing a three year extension at 11 million per - so his effective salary over those final three years would be around 8 million per. That's not the earning potential of a guy who's going to play those three years at a high level.

As for Gasol's value - I think Denver is a good possibility - as is Indy. Teams that aren't contenders but are deep enough and cheap enough to send back a decent big and who would become contenders if they traded for Pau.

Or, think about it this way: Pau, just entering his prime and costing about two thirds of what he does now was worth useless expirings, a recent mid-first rounder, a recent second rounder and two very late firsts. And his old team had to throw in a high second. Since I'm told that was a pretty fair deal, you should expect somewhere around half that for a post-prime high-salary version of Gasol. So maybe 10 mil in expirings, an 8 mil bad contract and a couple of very late firsts. Sound good?
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#39 » by azuresou1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:34 pm

giberish wrote:The closest I can come up with is

LAL trade Pau for Josh Smith + Morrow
Denver trades Chandler + McGee for Pau
Atlanta trades Smith + Morrow for Chandler + McGee

Atlanta gets long-term starters at SF and C to put around Horford. They eat into their 2013 cap room, but the Paul/Smith/Howard option seems off the table and they probably don't get a better return than Chandler/McGee.

Denver makes a win-now move. For the short-run, Pau is a big upgrade on McGee. He's sounder on defense and has far more skill and BBIQ on offense. With Iggy, Gallo and Lawson as well they have the offense and defense to be at least a fringe title contender (as opposed to a good regular season team that might get to the 2nd round). That should mean that Pau will still care rather than sulking. They have wing depth to cover for Chandler at SF and can use Pau some at PF (or trade one of Mozgov or Kufos for a good backup PF).

LAL save money, get younger and get a better fit at PF.

I really like this trade for ATL, although it kills the Dwight dream (which is now already pretty unlikely as is). Still, McGee CAN be a perenial All-Star if he matures, and Chandler is a massively underrated player too. A Teague/Jenkins/Chandler/Horford/McGee core is extremely athletic and well balanced.

Don't know if Denver does it though, I think the trade makes them a real contender but it also doesn't seem to fit the rest of their offensive team in terms of pace. LA probably would need to send additional value, and I don't know if they have value of appropriate size (do they have any picks before like, 2019?)
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#40 » by nevetsov » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Not sure how you'd do it, or even if it's possible, but I think Pau would be a good fit at C alongside KG at PF. Probably something centred around Jeff Green once he's proven his health (used to be a handy 16/8ish kinda guy as I recall) but BOS doesn't have expirings as far as I know.

Team rivalries aside, would there be equality in something like Paul Pierce and Jeff Green for Pau and a mid-Level Laker? Nash/ Kobe/ Pierce/ Green/ Howard would be an improvement IMO and Rondo/ Bradley/ KG/ Gasol with wing defenders and shooters would be as well.

Return to Trades and Transactions