The Pau Gasol Pickle

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,539

Re: The Pau Gasol Pickle 

Post#281 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Dec 9, 2012 1:05 am

I'm not an Ellis fan at all, but I would be surprised if anyone would give more then that.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#282 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Dec 9, 2012 1:12 am

shrink wrote:
GhostX wrote: We did have a taker but Stern got involved....after that we almost had to keep him because he was mentally kind of checked out and emotionally hurt....but now he seems to have recovered

You're right - and I was really surprised. But we now know that HOU wanted Gasol, not solely for Gasol's value, but because they thought he would encourage Marc Gasol or Nene to come to HOU. As soon as they were off the table, HOU refused to do the same deal, and has maintained no interest since then. Moreover, I think this season that Gasol's value has gone down. But who knows? I was surprised last year on Gasol.

I think the fact that is contract is a year shorter since then is in and of itself an equalizer for his current production.

JR : Next Gen
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#283 » by Guy986 » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:26 am

GhostX wrote:
shrink wrote:
GhostX wrote: We did have a taker but Stern got involved....after that we almost had to keep him because he was mentally kind of checked out and emotionally hurt....but now he seems to have recovered

You're right - and I was really surprised. But we now know that HOU wanted Gasol, not solely for Gasol's value, but because they thought he would encourage Marc Gasol or Nene to come to HOU. As soon as they were off the table, HOU refused to do the same deal, and has maintained no interest since then. Moreover, I think this season that Gasol's value has gone down. But who knows? I was surprised last year on Gasol.

I think the fact that is contract is a year shorter since then is in and of itself an equalizer for his current production.

No... no its not.

Last year he was a 17/10 guy ,sharing the paint with another 7 footer, as the team's 3rd option. This year he's playing with his big boy pants off. Gasol's value has unquestionably gone down.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 917

Post#284 » by jscott » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:35 am

AQuintus wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Ignoring the rest of that deal (and any salary matching), is Ellis and Dalembert for Pek really too good for Mil and too bad for Minn?

Yes.

As a Wolves fan I'd never consider that deal.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#285 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:40 am

Im really warming to Josh Smith as of late ....shooting 35% from 3 and playing solid defense. If Ferry doesnt think he will re-sign since he's UFA id defenitly offer Pau for Smith/Korver

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#286 » by HornetJail » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:42 am

Atlanta still laughs at that. Sans Josh Smith, they rather just rebuild with picks and cap space than have Gasol soaking up salary.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#287 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:52 am

I dont think they have to re-build per say since the East is really wide open right now...Smith wouldnt come back if Ferry tried to sell him on re-building

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#288 » by HornetJail » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:54 am

My point remains that they would rather have the cap space and the picks rather than a solid player worth a little more than half of what he's being paid.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#289 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:46 am

Bob Finnan saying Kahn is BSing

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#290 » by AQuintus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 7:09 am

GhostX wrote:Bob Finnan saying Kahn is BSing

A quick google search shows that this Bob Finnan is some Cavs writer.

What the hell would he know about the inner workings of the Wolves or Lakers front offices or what Kahn intends to do?

Edit:

And I can't even find what you're referring to.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#291 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:38 pm

AQuintus wrote:

What the hell would he know about the inner workings of the Wolves or Lakers front offices or what Kahn intends to do?

Edit:

The Lakers will eventually have to trade forward/center Pau Gasol. It could happen in the offseason. Despite what was said recently, the Timberwolves would like to get their hands on Gasol. They'd play him at center
. http://news-herald.com/articles/2012/12 ... =fullstory

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#292 » by Foshan » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:48 pm

What about if Philly played 3rd fiddle?

LAL: Gasol
lal: T.Young / Hawes

Young is significantly better than DWill, while Hawes isn't as good as Pek, he could stretch the floor abit and play with D12. Save a bunch of money.

PHI: Young / Hawes
phi: DWill / Pek / Roy's corpse

downgrades to dwill, hoping a change of scenery helps him, but upgrades from hawes to Pek, they do this if they figure Bynum is out for season...

min: DWill/pek/Roy's corpse
MIN: Gasol

thoughts?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,619

Post#293 » by shrink » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:50 pm

With the rumor that Glen Taylor would be willing to go over the lux, I think the only way a Gasol deal has any legs at all is if Pek is not in the deal.

Without Pek in the deal, I don't think PHI makes that offer.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 154

Post#294 » by schaffy » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:50 pm

GhostX wrote:

The Lakers will eventually have to trade forward/center Pau Gasol. It could happen in the offseason. Despite what was said recently, the Timberwolves would like to get their hands on Gasol. They'd play him at center

That doesnt even say Kahn is BSing. It says the Wolves would have interest in Gasol. Which seems to be true. But it never says that Kahn talked to the Lakers since June, nor that Kahn offered the rumored package anytime recently. Reading comprehension does not appear to be your friend.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#295 » by Mattya » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:53 pm

Foshan wrote:What about if Philly played 3rd fiddle?

LAL: Gasol
lal: T.Young / Hawes

Young is significantly better than DWill, while Hawes isn't as good as Pek, he could stretch the floor abit and play with D12. Save a bunch of money.

PHI: Young / Hawes
phi: DWill / Pek / Roy's corpse

downgrades to dwill, hoping a change of scenery helps him, but upgrades from hawes to Pek, they do this if they figure Bynum is out for season...

min: DWill/pek/Roy's corpse
MIN: Gasol

thoughts?

What is Minnesota getting for Pek?

GhostX wrote:
AQuintus wrote:

Edit:

That doesn't sound to me like he is saying Kahn is BSing, just that he is interested. Which we all knew and he even said he talked to the Lakers in June. And again, what source would a Cleveland beat writer have? Probably none. Doesn't seem like a guy you that has cred about the Wolves.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#296 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:20 pm

schaffy wrote:
GhostX wrote:

That doesnt even say Kahn is BSing. It says the Wolves would have interest in Gasol. Which seems to be true. But it never says that Kahn talked to the Lakers since June, nor that Kahn offered the rumored package anytime recently. Reading comprehension does not appear to be your friend.

He's referring to Kahn saying there were no talks and denying the whole thing

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#297 » by Mattya » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:04 pm

No he isnt. Kahn never denied interest. He denied the talks ever happened. The beat writer never says anything about the talks. Only interest. Your reaching on that.
[Ball_Dont_Lie]
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#298 » by [Ball_Dont_Lie] » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:46 pm

Not sure what Pau Gasol got much left in the tank, so buyers beware. The good news for teams looking to add Pau is that his contract has just 1 year left on it. So there should be a few teams out there willing to take the risk.
bigg mike
Junior
And1: 37

Post#299 » by bigg mike » Sun Dec 9, 2012 6:53 pm

I would glady take Pau Gasol on the Knicks in exchange for Amare. I think both players would fit better on the other's team, Amare with Nash and D'Antoni and Pau with a non-scoring C next to him in Tyson Chandler. Gasol becomes the 2nd option, Melo slides back to SF where he says he's more comfortable, and NYK get their annual fill of NBA drama.

However, getting Gasol this year pretty much slams the window shut on the Knicks IMO... it's absolutely win-now/next-year and then look for a new PF. To be fair, it's a low-risk move for the Knicks and a medium-risk for the Lakers. Stat would need to get the spark back with D'Antoni and Nash.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#300 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Dec 9, 2012 7:14 pm

bigg mike wrote:I would glady take Pau Gasol on the Knicks in exchange for Amare. I think both players would fit better on the other's team, Amare with Nash and D'Antoni and Pau with a non-scoring C next to him in Tyson Chandler. Gasol becomes the 2nd option, Melo slides back to SF where he says he's more comfortable, and NYK get their annual fill of NBA drama.

However, getting Gasol this year pretty much slams the window shut on the Knicks IMO... it's absolutely win-now/next-year and then look for a new PF. To be fair, it's a low-risk move for the Knicks and a medium-risk for the Lakers. Stat would need to get the spark back with D'Antoni and Nash.

Wheres our inscentive for taking on the extra year of 19mill and the lesser player?

Return to Trades and Transactions