The Pau Gasol Pickle

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Re: The Pau Gasol Pickle 

Post#361 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:41 am

Pau with Nash looked alot better..stats wont reflect it but give him time. His facilitating out of the elbow was crucial down the stretch vs GSW tonight

JR : Next Gen
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#362 » by tviper » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:26 pm

My view: Pau is a very valuable commodity for a team lacking a C that can score. Just because he hasn't looked good this season doesn't mean he is finished or teams don't place a high value on him. One needs only to re-watch the Spain/USA games from the summer to see how a correctly used Pau can flourish.

For the Lakers, however, he is a bad fit on a team with DH12 running MDA offense. Moreover, his lux tax hit for a team as far over the cap as the Lakers (assuming DH12 signs) in 2013-14 is prohibitive. Thus, Pau will likely be moved.

When considering the types of packages that the Lakers might accept, one needs to keep in mind the fact that one or more of the pieces coming back has to have an expiring salary. That is essential, otherwise there is no need to trade as further changes are undesirable for a team already experiencing significant upheaval. Further, the Lakers want to keep the 2014-15 books clean, so larger deals that don't expire next year (i.e., Amare, Bargs, etc.) are very unlikely.

For these reasons, Milsap appears to be a very good fit for a Pau trade, but Utah has no reason to add Pau so there must be a third team IMO. TOR, MN, and HOU have all been rumored as potential Pau destinations at one time or another over the past year, so one would be a natural candidate. The trouble is twofold: 1) Milsap alone doesn't seem like adequate value, so a player with value would need to be included with Milsap, and 2) what players do one of these three teams have to offer to Utah?

From the Lakers side, I could see Lin being of interest in addition to Milsap, but what does HOU send Utah, and is HOU even willing to make Lin available? I could see DWill from MN as a good fit, but is Milsap and DWill enough for the Lakers to pull the trigger?
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#363 » by Mr. E » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:03 pm

I doubt that Houston would make Lin available. Especially not in a deal where the return would be Pau. This is not the right situation for a player like Pau Gasol now. That window was last year.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#364 » by warren weel im » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:16 pm

tviper wrote:My view: Pau is a very valuable commodity for a team lacking a C that can score. Just because he hasn't looked good this season doesn't mean he is finished or teams don't place a high value on him. One needs only to re-watch the Spain/USA games from the summer to see how a correctly used Pau can flourish.

For the Lakers, however, he is a bad fit on a team with DH12 running MDA offense. Moreover, his lux tax hit for a team as far over the cap as the Lakers (assuming DH12 signs) in 2013-14 is prohibitive. Thus, Pau will likely be moved.

When considering the types of packages that the Lakers might accept, one needs to keep in mind the fact that one or more of the pieces coming back has to have an expiring salary. That is essential, otherwise there is no need to trade as further changes are undesirable for a team already experiencing significant upheaval. Further, the Lakers want to keep the 2014-15 books clean, so larger deals that don't expire next year (i.e., Amare, Bargs, etc.) are very unlikely.

For these reasons, Milsap appears to be a very good fit for a Pau trade, but Utah has no reason to add Pau so there must be a third team IMO. TOR, MN, and HOU have all been rumored as potential Pau destinations at one time or another over the past year, so one would be a natural candidate. The trouble is twofold: 1) Milsap alone doesn't seem like adequate value, so a player with value would need to be included with Milsap, and 2) what players do one of these three teams have to offer to Utah?

From the Lakers side, I could see Lin being of interest in addition to Milsap, but what does HOU send Utah, and is HOU even willing to make Lin available? I could see DWill from MN as a good fit, but is Milsap and DWill enough for the Lakers to pull the trigger?

Very well said.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1221424
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#365 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Fri Jan 4, 2013 3:02 am

Felt like bumping this bad boy. So im seeing Pau's value all over the place as of late..from anywhere to Boozer, prospect,cha 1st to Kevin Love lol. Deadline cant come soon enough...

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#366 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Fri Jan 4, 2013 3:23 am

BOS Get : Pau Gasol

UTH Get: Jeff Green + Courtney Lee + Fab Melo

LAL Get: Paul Millsap + Marvin Williams

Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#367 » by Cashin out » Fri Jan 4, 2013 4:57 am

GhostX wrote:BOS Get : Pau Gasol

Great trade idea,I can see all teams signing off on this deal.
UConn celt
Senior
And1: 70

Post#368 » by UConn celt » Fri Jan 4, 2013 5:21 am

I think Utah would rather just go with Burks/Hayward instead of bringing in Green/Lee's long contracts. Or sign a SG/SF in free agency. As a Celtics fan i of course do it, for salaries to work I think we'd have to deal Bass as well. Whoever wants him can have him.
habibadobe
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#369 » by habibadobe » Fri Jan 4, 2013 5:57 am

Not at all a fan of that Boston deal. I would rather the Jazz take Gasol then have to pay Green and Lee.
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#370 » by Cashin out » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:00 am

UConn celt wrote:

I think Utah would rather just go with Burks/Hayward instead of bringing in Green/Lee's long contracts. Or sign a SG/SF in free agency. As a Celtics fan i of course do it, for salaries to work I think we'd have to deal Bass as well. Whoever wants him can have him.

The problem with Utah trying to sign a sg/sf in FA is they are not a attractive FA destination nobody is signing to play in Utah.So they have to get their players via trade if Utah can get Green/Lee for Milsap they should do it.
habibadobe
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#371 » by habibadobe » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:07 am

Green and Lee have both played poorly so far this year. Better to have the space then to have bad contracts. I at least want the front office to make its own mistakes not pay for another teams. At least if you take Gasol and he returns to form you have a great player. If you get Lee and Green to return to form you get at best a middle of the pack player.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#372 » by AQuintus » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:00 am

habibadobe wrote:Better to have the space then to have bad contracts. I at least want the front office to make its own mistakes not pay for another teams. At least if you take Gasol and he returns to form you have a great player.

And in the likely event that he doesn't return to form (he isn't getting any younger after all), then Pau is easily the worst contract in the league.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,096

Post#373 » by JB2 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:29 am

I like

BOS Get : Pau Gasol

or

Boston: Gasol
Utah: Bradley, Green, Duhon
Houston: Mo Williams, Morris
LA: Milsap, Lin

something like that work?
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Post#374 » by DowJones » Fri Jan 4, 2013 2:24 pm

Why would Utah want Green's terrible contract and why would LA want to help Boston get a guy that would fit their team perfectly? No way does that deal happen.
PistolP
Analyst
And1: 335

Post#375 » by PistolP » Fri Jan 4, 2013 2:31 pm

I get that the Lakers would like to preserve cap space in 2014, so Bargs/Amare/Boozer hinder that. But what's with the constant interest in Milsap? Isn't he going to want an big 4-yr extension this summer?
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 973

Post#376 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jan 4, 2013 2:48 pm

DowJones wrote:Why would Utah want Green's terrible contract and why would LA want to help Boston get a guy that would fit their team perfectly? No way does that deal happen.

Because they are getting Milsaps and an above average wing defender with some range in Marvin..
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#377 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Fri Jan 4, 2013 2:50 pm

shrink wrote:
PistolP wrote:
The Lakers countered by saying they would consider receiving at least two first-round picks, center Joakim Noah and another player believed to be Watson, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Link

Thanks PistolP!

Hard to believe this response, but if that's where the Lakers place Gasol's value, then I really doubt anyone's going to trade for him. Maybe that's for the best.

I really dont doubt that that was his counter lol...thats how he drives up the value of Pau (almost to the extent of CP3)

magic wand time
Junior
And1: 6

Post#378 » by magic wand time » Fri Jan 4, 2013 3:04 pm

PistolP wrote:I get that the Lakers would like to preserve cap space in 2014, so Bargs/Amare/Boozer hinder that. But what's with the constant interest in Milsap? Isn't he going to want an big 4-yr extension this summer?

I agree with you. A 2-yr player is ideal coming back. The catch 22 right now is that LA has to be good enough this year to keep Dwight long term, and if they take on '14 salary for a complementary player it has to be for a player as-good/better than they may get in FA.
That's a tricky situation.
milesfides wrote:If I were management and I saw one of my players crying, tweeting, and listening to Drake, I would punch him in the face.

Stern's Legacy in two words: BASKETBALL REASONS {the NBA's future instantly changed}
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#379 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Fri Jan 4, 2013 3:26 pm

MIN _ LAL

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aumhz4e

+2 #2 from min to LAL
+rights to Bjelica, and any other player
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#380 » by shrink » Fri Jan 4, 2013 3:49 pm

re49gb_2gho32fp wrote:MIN _ LAL

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aumhz4e

+2 #2 from min to LAL
+rights to Bjelica, and any other player

With the salary, age and plantar fasciitis, MIN posters are nearly universal in hating this trade:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1222611

Maybe Kahn/Adelman think differently.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.

Return to Trades and Transactions