The Pau Gasol Pickle

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Re: The Pau Gasol Pickle 

Post#261 » by jscott » Sat Dec 8, 2012 8:43 pm

Oh and don't forget how "Rubio will never play in Minnesota because he and his family hate it there" when in reality him and his family LOVE it here.

I'll pay attention to the local writers over national reporters 10/10 times because they can't possibly follow all the teams with as much detail as the ones assigned to the teams.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#262 » by Niko23 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 9:04 pm

bigg mike wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a67bp8q

NY IN: Tristan Thompson and Steve Blake
NY OUT: Amare
Why: NYK have a good thing going right now with Amare out. Him coming back in might disrupt the system and he may not accept a bench role. Tristan Thompson can come in as a bench player and learn from Kurt Thomas, Camby, and Tyson Chandler. The NYK have good locker room leaders and no youth. Steve Blake basically comes in as the 15th man.

LAL IN: Amare and Channing Frye
LAL OUT: Pau Gasol and Steve Blake
Why: D'Antoni's coaching and Nash is distributing the ball. Frye can shoot the 3 now and can fit in D'Antoni's SSOL system. Frye can let LAL rest Amare or Dwight when needed and be able to keep the tempo going. This would ultimately make D'Antoni, Nash, and Amare happy and will hopefully make Kobe and Dwight happy as well.

CLE IN: Pau Gasol
CLE OUT: Tristan Thompson and Luke Walton
Why: Varejao and Gasol next to each other with Irving dishing the ball should make a nice tandem in the East, especially if Gasol's "tendenitis" is a ploy by his camp. Cleveland becomes relevant, should make the playoffs, Gasol redeems himself, and Irving has someone to pass to besides Varejao.

PHX IN: Luke Walton
PHX OUT: Channing Frye
Why: Expiring contract coming in for Frye's 3 year deal. Also, more ping pong balls.... Phoenix isn't going anywhere this season and are definitely a lottery team. Shed Frye's contract and tank the rest of the season.

I think if the Cavs were banging on the playoff door - this might be a consideration. Just do not think Pau would stay long term
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#263 » by jwise44 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 9:15 pm

^^channing frye retired due to an enlarged heart this year, didn't he?

or is he just out for the year?
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#264 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sat Dec 8, 2012 9:23 pm

jwise44 wrote:^^channing frye retired due to an enlarged heart this year, didn't he?

or is he just out for the year?

naw he didnt retire

JR : Next Gen
Money23
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#265 » by Money23 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 9:35 pm

Frye is out for the year
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#266 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sat Dec 8, 2012 10:13 pm

A week before the deadline lets bring in Denver...

LAL Trades: Pau Gasol, Devin Ebanks
LAL Gets: Danilo Gallo, Derrick Williams, Wilson Chandler, BRoy's EXP

MIN Trades: Pekovic, DWill, Barea, Roy's EXP
MIN Gets: Pau Gasol, DJO

DEN Trades: Danilo Gallo, Wilson Chandler
DEN Gets: Nicola Pekovic, Devin Ebanks, JJ Barea

Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#267 » by Guy986 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 10:14 pm

shrink wrote:I don't disagree. GM's have a reason to lie. But keep in mind, so does ESPN.

ESPN gets their revenue from advertising, which is based on the number of readers. While they have to walk a line between credibility and profit, I'm sure if they can find an anonymous source to say something that would be important to fans from the second biggest market in the US, they'll run with whatever anonymous stuff they have.

For both, there's no downside to saying what their client (the team or the fans) want them to say. If Kahn makes a trade, he'll say it just came together at the last minute. If the trade doesn't happen, ESPN will say that an "anonymous source in the organization" told them the trade fell through.

Regarding MIN-LAL deals, ESPN does not have a good history. Last year, their sources said MIN was going to trade Kevin Love and the #2 for Gasol. A few years before, Garnett was going to be a Laker for Bynum.

I rarely trust any of these public declarations. I just posted because I wanted people to know what we're hearing locally. Trust any of it at your peril.

Validity of the trade rumor aside, is there any doubt that Minnesota likes Pau Gasol?
Br0ken_Sp0ke
Rookie
And1: 745

Post#268 » by Br0ken_Sp0ke » Sat Dec 8, 2012 10:25 pm

Guy986 wrote:
shrink wrote:I don't disagree. GM's have a reason to lie. But keep in mind, so does ESPN.

ESPN gets their revenue from advertising, which is based on the number of readers. While they have to walk a line between credibility and profit, I'm sure if they can find an anonymous source to say something that would be important to fans from the second biggest market in the US, they'll run with whatever anonymous stuff they have.

For both, there's no downside to saying what their client (the team or the fans) want them to say. If Kahn makes a trade, he'll say it just came together at the last minute. If the trade doesn't happen, ESPN will say that an "anonymous source in the organization" told them the trade fell through.

Regarding MIN-LAL deals, ESPN does not have a good history. Last year, their sources said MIN was going to trade Kevin Love and the #2 for Gasol. A few years before, Garnett was going to be a Laker for Bynum.

I rarely trust any of these public declarations. I just posted because I wanted people to know what we're hearing locally. Trust any of it at your peril.

Validity of the trade rumor aside, is there any doubt that Minnesota likes Pau Gasol?

Yeah, exactly. Min fans are shooting down all these trades like they're completely absurd, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it actually happens. It seems pretty obvious how much Adelman/Kahn like Pau, and if they really believe in the value he' would to add to the team, then they're going to pay for it. Simple...
baki wrote:Robinson and Olajuwon are about equal, but I'd give Robinson the edge for being far more critical to the team's success than Olajuwon was.

baki wrote:I'm not sure if Harden is really that much better than Lin.

baki wrote:I call everything as I see it and I'm always right
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#269 » by andyhop » Sat Dec 8, 2012 10:31 pm

Guy986 wrote:

They seem to like him about as much as the Lakers want to dump him, only if the price is right.

The Lakers have had Pau on the trade block for over a year and he is still there so it seems like their value for him is more than anyone is prepared to pay.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#270 » by Mattya » Sat Dec 8, 2012 10:38 pm

Guy986 wrote:

No, and I don't think anyone has said Minnesota has no interest. They are saying, that the amount being offered in this rumor is bogus. Pau's value is at an all time low, same with Williams. Adding Pekovic unless value is going back to Minnesota is just absurd.

Yeah, exactly. Min fans are shooting down all these trades like they're completely absurd, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it actually happens. It seems pretty obvious how much Adelman/Kahn like Pau, and if they really believe in the value he' would to add to the team, then they're going to pay for it. Simple...

Just because they like a player doesn't mean they are going to give up whatever the other team wants. They liked Pau years ago, and like shrink said, the rumor from ESPN was Love and the #2 pick. I guess that should have been take seriously as well.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#271 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sat Dec 8, 2012 11:19 pm

andyhop wrote:
Guy986 wrote:

They seem to like him about as much as the Lakers want to dump him, only if the price is right.

The Lakers have had Pau on the trade block for over a year and he is still there so it seems like their value for him is more than anyone is prepared to pay.

We did have a taker but Stern got involved....after that we almost had to keep him because he was mentally kind of checked out and emotionally hurt....but now he seems to have recovered

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#272 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sat Dec 8, 2012 11:32 pm

Probly a long shot but i remember we were interested in the #2 pick last year for MKG ...

CHA Gets: Pekovic, Derrick Williams, Jordan Hill, Broy EXP, MIN 1st

LAL Gets: MKG, Diop EXP

shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,976

Post#273 » by shrink » Sat Dec 8, 2012 11:36 pm

GhostX wrote: We did have a taker but Stern got involved....after that we almost had to keep him because he was mentally kind of checked out and emotionally hurt....but now he seems to have recovered

You're right - and I was really surprised. But we now know that HOU wanted Gasol, not solely for Gasol's value, but because they thought he would encourage Marc Gasol or Nene to come to HOU. As soon as they were off the table, HOU refused to do the same deal, and has maintained no interest since then. Moreover, I think this season that Gasol's value has gone down. But who knows? I was surprised last year on Gasol.

Regarding the trade, Pek, DWill and a 1st is even worse for MIN.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
crosko42
Starter
And1: 681

Post#274 » by crosko42 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 11:41 pm

GhostX wrote:Probly a long shot but i remember we were interested in the #2 pick last year for MKG ...

No chance of that happening.

MKG is the best prospect in that trade and has the highest value of anyone in that trade.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#275 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sat Dec 8, 2012 11:47 pm

crosko42 wrote:
GhostX wrote:Probly a long shot but i remember we were interested in the #2 pick last year for MKG ...

No chance of that happening.

MKG is the best prospect in that trade and has the highest value of anyone in that trade.

Yeah i knew that...Cho is a good GM. Jordan looked incompetent before he got there imo

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#276 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sat Dec 8, 2012 11:49 pm

How bout the Bucks...

LAL Get: Ellis, DWilliams, Dalambert

MIN Get: Gasol, Ebanks, DJO

MIL Get: Pekovic, Jordan Hill, Barea

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#277 » by AQuintus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 12:27 am

Minnesota would just cut out LA in this deal and take MKG.
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#278 » by AQuintus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 12:28 am

GhostX wrote:How bout the Bucks...

Once again, too good for Milwaukee (they're not getting Pekovic for Ellis and Dalambert), and bad for Minnesota.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Post#279 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Dec 9, 2012 12:46 am

AQuintus wrote:
GhostX wrote:How bout the Bucks...

Once again, too good for Milwaukee (they're not getting Pekovic for Ellis and Dalambert), and bad for Minnesota.

Ignoring the rest of that deal (and any salary matching), is Ellis and Dalembert for Pek really too good for Mil and too bad for Minn?
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#280 » by AQuintus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 12:55 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Ignoring the rest of that deal (and any salary matching), is Ellis and Dalembert for Pek really too good for Mil and too bad for Minn?

Yes.

Return to Trades and Transactions