The Pau Gasol Pickle

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Re: The Pau Gasol Pickle 

Post#301 » by AQuintus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 10:08 pm

GhostX wrote:
The Lakers will eventually have to trade forward/center Pau Gasol. It could happen in the offseason. Despite what was said recently, the Timberwolves would like to get their hands on Gasol. They'd play him at center
. http://news-herald.com/articles/2012/12 ... =fullstory

Kahn never said that they weren't interested in Pau. He just said that the recent rumors were BS and that they haven't talked with LA since June. This article doesn't refute either.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#302 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 am

LAL Get: Ellis, Ilysova

ATL Get: Dalambert

MIL Get: Gasol, Morrow

JR : Next Gen
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#303 » by Foshan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:49 am

Mattya wrote:
Foshan wrote:What about if Philly played 3rd fiddle?

LAL: Gasol
lal: T.Young / Hawes

Young is significantly better than DWill, while Hawes isn't as good as Pek, he could stretch the floor abit and play with D12. Save a bunch of money.

PHI: Young / Hawes
phi: DWill / Pek / Roy's corpse

downgrades to dwill, hoping a change of scenery helps him, but upgrades from hawes to Pek, they do this if they figure Bynum is out for season...

min: DWill/pek/Roy's corpse
MIN: Gasol

thoughts?

What is Minnesota getting for Pek?

They are getting Gasol for Pek. Roy is a corpse and DWill's value is in the crapper as a DNP-CD.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#304 » by AQuintus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:26 am

Foshan wrote:

They are getting Gasol for Pek. Roy is a corpse and DWill's value is in the crapper as a DNP-CD.

Pek is worth more than Pau. Roy is a 5 million dollar expring contract, and DWill still has positive value despite the DNPs. So, what else is Minnesota getting?

It's kind of funny reading our trade, though. Somehow you looked at the Pek/Dwill for Pau deal and figured it wasn't good enough for LA. It's no wonder that GMs of teams are constantly giving the Lakers trade steals when even the fans are desperate to improve them at the expense of their own teams.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#305 » by Foshan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:41 am

AQuintus wrote:
Foshan wrote:

Pek is worth more than Pau. Roy is a 5 million dollar expring contract, and DWill still has positive value despite the DNPs. So, what else is Minnesota getting?

I think Pau is a much better player than Pek. While Pau might be in a slump, if I have to choose one guy to play C for my team in an attempt to win now it's Pau. I think MIN fans are still dreaming if they think DWill has positive value... maybe we can agree to disagree? I also figured if MIN is trying to win, then they would want to keep guys like Luke/Berea since they are producing in Rubio's absence. But I'm sure they could keep Roy's corpse and save money by dumping one of those guards if they preferred.

It's kind of funny reading our trade, though. Somehow you looked at the Pek/Dwill for Pau deal and figured it wasn't good enough for LA. It's no wonder that GMs of teams are constantly giving the Lakers trade steals when even the fans are desperate to improve them at the expense of their own teams.

I think Pek/Dwill would be stupid for LA. DWill is a bench scrub, and while he would benefit from the Nash-affect, I don't think that will make him into an elite starter all of the sudden. Pek plays the position of one of LA's best players, Pek & D12 on the floor at the same time would be ugly. I don't think I increased the value in my deal, i made a better fit, imo. Young is much better than DWill but Pek is much better than Hawes. /shrug
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 141

Post#306 » by schaffy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:52 am

Foshan wrote:I think MIN fans are still dreaming if they think DWill has positive value...

DWill is a bench scrub

If D-Will is such a bench scrub and has no positive value, why not leave him out of your trade? I mean, what team would volunteer to take on a guy who has no positive value? Just leave him with Minnesota if that is how you really feel about him and match salaries with some other players.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#307 » by Mattya » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:05 am

This sums it up nicely.

If D-Will is such a bench scrub and has no positive value, why not leave him out of your trade? I mean, what team would volunteer to take on a guy who has no positive value?

I also think this is funny. People have purpose a trade. Gets denied. Then the guy who purposes the trade trashes the players in his own deal.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#308 » by Foshan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:38 am

Wait, so we aren't allowed to trade a player if we think they aren't good. darn, that will reduce traffic on this site a bit i'd think.

I don't think saying DWilliams is a bench scrub is at this point at all an inaccurate statement. He can't even get himself off the bench. He's being significantly out played by Dante Cunningham. That said, if you look at the trade that I made, Philly down-grades from a good player in Young to Williams, because they upgrade from Hawes to Pekovic.

As to why not just leave him out... well you need to match 19M (or close) in salary. So... you need to send out some other players that teams are going to be willing to take in the deal. Barea has a lot of years left on his deal, so he's not ideal, Ridnour is a decent back up PG... but if Nash is back LAL would have 3 other back up point guards... I don't think Williams has negative trade, yet, as I think the promise of potential still makes him pull neutral with the 4M+ he's making to do nothing now. However, as that contract escalates, if his performance doesn't, then yeah he'll go from 'meh' to 'bleh' :)
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#309 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 am

Probly the most likely packages being offered from teams with interest ...

MIN- Pek, Williams, Broys EXP, Barea

TOR- Bargs, Jose (maybe Ross)

BOS- Green, Bass, filler

MIA- Basically their whole bench including Chalmers

UConn celt
Senior
And1: 70

Post#310 » by UConn celt » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:51 am

If Green can start consistently putting up 12-14 pts a night in the next month he might start shedding his albatross label. He'll still be overpaid but his skill set actually fits LA pretty nicely. Athletic SF who can run and play some PF as well. If the Lakers were going to deal directly with Boston I assume the deal would revolve around Green and Bradley, with Bass and/or Lee being the filler.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#311 » by Mattya » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:56 am

Foshan wrote:Wait, so we aren't allowed to trade a player if we think they aren't good. darn, that will reduce traffic on this site a bit i'd think.

I don't think saying DWilliams is a bench scrub is at this point at all an inaccurate statement. He can't even get himself off the bench. He's being significantly out played by Dante Cunningham. That said, if you look at the trade that I made, Philly down-grades from a good player in Young to Williams, because they upgrade from Hawes to Pekovic.

As to why not just leave him out... well you need to match 19M (or close) in salary. So... you need to send out some other players that teams are going to be willing to take in the deal. Barea has a lot of years left on his deal, so he's not ideal, Ridnour is a decent back up PG... but if Nash is back LAL would have 3 other back up point guards... I don't think Williams has negative trade, yet, as I think the promise of potential still makes him pull neutral with the 4M+ he's making to do nothing now. However, as that contract escalates, if his performance doesn't, then yeah he'll go from 'meh' to 'bleh' :)

Every player going out in the trade you said was either not as good as Gasol, a bench scrub who could be heading towards being a bad contract, or nothing but salary filler. So why wouldn't every other team in this trade just trade for Gasol instead. Doesn't make sense based on your own reasoning. Why doesn't Philly just take Gasol then.

GhostX wrote:Probly the most likely packages being offered from teams with interest ...

BOS- Green, Bass, filler

I just don't get how someone could look at these three deals and not see that the Wolves are giving by far the most up. Miami's bench? Jeff Green's contract and brandon Bass? Brags and an Expiring contract? if Williams with Barea combined and Bargs have similar value, do you really think Calderon and his expiring contract has equal value to Pekovic and Roys team option? Take out Pek, replace Barea with Ridnour, add in Steamer and his player option and maybe Dante, and that is Minnesota's offer.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#312 » by Foshan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:09 am

Why doesn't Philly take Gasol?

Um, we just traded a ton for Bynum and are still banking on him being the C of the future... Pau's slump is contributed to playing out of position and having a bad match up defensively at the 4. /shrug. Not very complicated IMO.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#313 » by Mattya » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 am

So they don't want Gasol because he is a center, but they want Pek because he is a center?

Yea that doesn't sound "complicated" at all.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#314 » by Foshan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:33 am

Actually my plan in posting the trade was just to see what both sides thought of the value before finding a team to flip Pek too :)

However, yes, if we r going to pay for a C to back up Bynum I would rather take the guy on the shorter deal and worry about having to resign him after seeing how he fits with what we have
Mattya
RealGM

Post#315 » by Mattya » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:55 am

Wolves aren't trading Pek in a deal for Pau. As believable as those expert analysts with their ultra reliable unnamed sources are, I just don't buy it. The point of adding Pau is to take us to the next step. Pau with Pek going out doesn't do enough, as great of a fit as he is.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,957

Post#316 » by shrink » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 pm

schaffy wrote:
Foshan wrote:I think MIN fans are still dreaming if they think DWill has positive value...

DWill is a bench scrub

If D-Will is such a bench scrub and has no positive value, why not leave him out of your trade? I mean, what team would volunteer to take on a guy who has no positive value? Just leave him with Minnesota if that is how you really feel about him and match salaries with some other players.

If MIN thinks he has more value than an expiring and you do not, the answer is simple: just substitute Steimsma in as salary filler.

MIN will happily trade Williams elsewhere, in some of the other deals posters make to get him. In most Gasol deals, a starting SG is still left as a hole, for the luxury of having Gasol come off the bench behind Pek.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#317 » by spree8 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:27 pm

GhostX wrote:Probly the most likely packages being offered from teams with interest ...

BOS- Green, Bass, filler

Mitch would never let Miami have Gasol....that's just crazy.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#318 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:59 am

LA Gets: Nene, Ariza, DWill, JCrawford

WAS Gets: Pekovic, Roys EXP, Barea, Blake

MIN Gets: Gasol

Mattya
RealGM

Post#319 » by Mattya » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:08 am

Take out Pekovic.
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#320 » by Cashin out » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:44 am

Mattya wrote:Take out Pekovic.

So Minny gets Gasol for peanuts?

Dwill/Barea/Roy is not enough to get Pau Gasol.

Return to Trades and Transactions