Pau Gasol to the Nuggets

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

um.
Junior
And1: 78

Pau Gasol to the Nuggets 

Post#1 » by um. » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:03 am

Pau Gasol + a 1st round pick
for
Danilo Gallinari
Wilson Chandler

Denver gets a goto scorer in the post.
LAL get some sf/pf tweeners to spread the floor for D Antoine
torotoe
Sixth Man
And1: 184

Re: Pau Gasol to the Nuggets 

Post#2 » by torotoe » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:28 am

Terrible trade for the nuggets. Do the Lakers even have a 1st?
Anyway, if Gallo is going to LA, Dwight is coming to Denver or something, cause there is far too big a value gap btw Gallo and gasol and the Lakers simply can't make up the difference.

Mighty unoriginal trade too.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#3 » by Kobe System » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:32 pm

torotoe wrote:Terrible trade for the nuggets. Do the Lakers even have a 1st?
Anyway, if Gallo is going to LA, Dwight is coming to Denver or something, cause there is far too big a value gap btw Gallo and gasol and the Lakers simply can't make up the difference.

The gap between Gallo and Gasol is nothing compare to the gap between Dwight and Gallo or anyone on Nuggets roster.
Manimal
Starter
And1: 1,419

Post#4 » by Manimal » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:45 pm

In theory, sure. But Dwight was basically just traded for Arron Afflalo and Al Harrington plus picks. I feel like if Denver felt he'd be more than just a rental, they probably could've had him instead, given that the majority of the package Orlando got was from them.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,335

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:51 pm

That would be a terrific trade for Denver. Gasol helps them so much more than Gallo does and Chandler is negative value. Gallo is a pretty nice solid NBA starter but thats all he is. Gasol is a potential difference maker for them and would give them a legitimite number 1 scoring option. And his ability to play next to Faried or McGee gives Karl more options to match up with any team in the West.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#6 » by warren weel im » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:31 pm

You can realistically ask all the 30 GMs in the league who they would prefer to have, Gasol or Gallinari.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,966

Post#7 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:26 pm

warren weel im wrote:

You can realistically ask all the 30 GMs in the league who they would prefer to have, Gasol or Gallinari.

Excuse me, but what are you saying here?

Do you think the answer would be Pau Gasol right now?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Texas Chuck

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:30 pm

I think for a lot of teams the answer is Gasol. For rebuilding teams or maybe Utah or Memphis then sure its Gallo. Not talking trade value but value on the court obv.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#9 » by theatlfan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:50 pm

shrink wrote:Excuse me, but what are you saying here?

Do you think the answer would be Pau Gasol right now?
Yeah, the answer is pretty much Gasol for most NBA teams. Even for a rebuilding team, you could view Gasol as a rehab project that you can look to deal at the deadline next year or as a SNT guy the following off-season. The WCS is that his salary vanishes at that point which is bad, but not horrible considering that you really only invested a 1.5 years in him and rebuilding projects typically go longer than that. For Gallinari, his shot is broke and must be fixed. His shooting %'s have consistently dropped every year in the NBA to the point where this season they're really bad. At this point, I don't think he's irredeemable (not yet at least - his FT % are decent which is a good sign), but to a rebuilding club, you'd want more certainty out of $10+M for the next 3 years. A mistake like that could mean that you just have to wait it out and rebuild again.
torotoe
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by torotoe » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I think for a lot of teams the answer is Gasol. For rebuilding teams or maybe Utah or Memphis then sure its Gallo. Not talking trade value but value on the court obv.

This is the trade board. We're all discussing trade value. On the court, Gallo is quite underrated. He does a number of things that dont show up in the box score. IMO Pau Gasol has declined and his reputation is keeping his value afloat.

And Denver is a rebuilding team too. Denver is the youngest team in the league less Dre and Dre. Gallo is going to produce 3x more than Gasol from now until each of their careers end simply because Gallo has about 8-10 years left.
Texas Chuck

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:11 pm

I think Gasol for Gallo and the negative value of Chandler is good trade value too. In fact its an enormous steal for Denver and they would be crazy not to jump on it if offered.
shrink
RealGM

Post#12 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:19 pm

I think the key comes down to whether a team wants to place all it's eggs in Pau Gasol's aging, broken basket, because very few teams can even be competitive if they drop $20 mil of their $70 mil payroll on a guy that doesn't produce well. DEN posters have mentioned that their team isn't going over the lux, and moreover - the GM's from 30 teams are certainly not going to all agree that money is no object.

To me, Gallinari at $9.4 is worth far more, because you get Gallo's considerable production, plus the ability to drop $10 mil elsewhere for get more production from another near star -- and you reduce risk as well.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Texas Chuck

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:42 pm

shrink wrote:
To me, Gallinari at $9.4 is worth far more, because you get Gallo's considerable production, plus the ability to drop $10 mil elsewhere for get more production from another near star -- and you reduce risk as well.

but how do they get that near-star without sacrificing value elsewhere? In this deal they get to move the dead weight of Wilson Chandler. If they could turn Chandler into a player worth $10M a year thats one thing but they cant do that so taking a chance on Gasol for 2 years seems to make a lot of sense since he addresses a number of their needs.
shrink
RealGM

Post#14 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
shrink wrote:

but how do they get that near-star without sacrificing value elsewhere? In this deal they get to move the dead weight of Wilson Chandler. If they could turn Chandler into a player worth $10M a year thats one thing but they cant do that so taking a chance on Gasol for 2 years seems to make a lot of sense since he addresses a number of their needs.

I see what you're saying, but I was responding to this:

warren weel im wrote: You can realistically ask all the 30 GMs in the league who they would prefer to have, Gasol or Gallinari.
torotoe
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by torotoe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:47 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I think Gasol for Gallo and the negative value of Chandler is good trade value too. In fact its an enormous steal for Denver and they would be crazy not to jump on it if offered.

Chandler is not a negative value IMO. He's just dead weight until he recovers and starts playing again. Once he is playing he will be a positive value. The Nuggets will trade him when he is playing- when he has positive value. Therefore, the assertion he is a negative value is wrong. The nuggets are resting Chandler so he looks good when he comes back.

I can't comprehend that someone (who isn't a Laker's fan) could actually think that trade would be a steal in any way shape or form- at least for the nuggets. I think you are lying to me and the board, not sure why. If not, you are lying to yourself.

Texas Chuck wrote:
shrink wrote:

Chandler's value is not negative, unless you have a different definition of negative value than I do. When playing, Chandler is a starting level wing. I'll go out on a whim and say that chandler is neutral value at the moment. I think a team like Sac would offer Garcia for Chandler sight unseen. I think that the nuggets could get an expiring before Chandler even steps on the floor. The Nuggets' FO is just waiting until he has positive value again IMO.

Edited for clarity.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#16 » by The Rebel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:55 am

Denver is no where near desperate to get rid of Chandler, they are also nowhere near desperate enough to add a ton of salary to tread water while getting considerably older.

Return to Trades and Transactions