MEM/IND/TOR - Gay/Granger/Ross

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

MEM/IND/TOR - Gay/Granger/Ross 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:34 pm

Memphis trades:
Rudy Gay
Wayne Ellington

Memphis gets:
Danny Granger
Alan Anderson

Indiana trades:
Danny Granger
DJ Augustin

Indiana gets:
Jose Calderon
Terrence Ross
Linas Kleiza

Toronto trades:
Jose Calderon
Terrence Ross
Linas Kleiza
Alan Anderson

Toronto gets:
Rudy Gay
DJ Augustin

Why for Memphis? I like a Gay/Granger swap for them because they need floor spacing. If Granger plays at an all-star level by the playoffs they're a contender, he's a perfect fit for their needs. If he's just a guy who hits open 3s, spaces the floor and makes high IQ decisions like Battier during their 2nd round run, he still might help their lineup more than Gay. Secondly, they get under the luxury tax with this move which saves them like 8-9 million cash. They save 3.9 million in 2013-2014 salary and clear Gay's 2014-2015 salary as well.

Why for Indiana? Granger's health and contractual status means they perhaps should move quickly. They make George the SF of the future, grab a top 10 pick SG in Ross to play beside him and get a PG for the rest of this season, who may end up extending after it and if he doesn't they get a lot of cap flexibility in return. This trade sets them up nicely to compete now and in the future.

Why for Toronto? With a Lowry, Derozan, Gay, Davis, Valanciunas core they're ready to make the playoffs consistently. They take on quite a bit of long term salary which means they may need a Bargnani, Amir, etc. trade lined up, but I think they'd be happy to have that starting 5
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Re: MEM/IND/TOR - Gay/Granger/Ross 

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:38 pm

Does the trade get Memphis under the tax line for the year? It looks like if not, it's close, but I'm sure that's what they would be looking to do. I'm for it as a Pacers fan. Means we can keep the starting lineup the way it is (which has worked well, just not on offense but they're coming around) and gives us a huge lift to our bench. Would absolutely love Calderon and Ross and whoever of Green or Kleiza was on could play.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:41 pm

MEM clears 4.5 mil+ of immediate salary, so yes they get under the tax
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:40 am

Only problem I'd say would be Granger having to prove he can play, which may not happen before the deadline. Still, maybe the Griz take the chance. Anderson gives them another shooter off the bench. I have a feeling Grizzly fans would want Ross going their way since Granger is injured. Depending on where his value lies I'd wonder if they would rather just deal Gay for Ross and Calderon straight up.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,342

Post#5 » by jowglenn » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:41 am

Indy should probably go for it. Calderon is exactly what we need behind George Hill, and Ross is going to be good. We're doing fine without Granger, and I'd like to have a cheap long-term piece like Ross instead so we have even more flexibility.
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#6 » by chube » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:25 am

Yep, I love Danny Granger on our team, but this is a deal I would like for the Pacers. I have high hopes for Terrence Ross and Calderon would be a huge upgrade as a backup PG behind George Hill. And Kleiza can still be more than serviceable. Although I hate to trade the first "franchise" player since Reggie Miller, I would actually be ok if this is a deal that went through for Indy.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#7 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:02 am

I love this trade for the Raptors. I feel like with that core, they could really be a fun team to watch moving forward. They could swap Bargnani(not that they ever will), for some young talent and be set.

For the Pacers, it is interesting. Clearly it makes our bench better now, which we desperately need - however when Granger comes back, our bench will be better by moving Stephenson there anyway. Augustin has also stepped up lately. Watching Stephenson play has been amazing lately - I almost think he has more potential than Paul George does. With that said, it would suck to have Ross stuck on the bench when he will likely develop into a good player otherwise....not saying I wouldn't do it, but I don't like the idea of trading Granger for a bench player.

For the Grizzles, I think they decline. I think Granger fits their team better than Gay and I feel like he will come back healthy(just a guess, could be wrong) - but if they are trading Gay, I would imagine they would want some young players on rookie contracts. I get that they are in win now mode, but giving up Gay for a year and a half rental(which you suggested) doesn't seem like a good move on their part.

EDIT: I will say this trade is a hell of a lot better than probably 98% of the junk I see on this board though, so well done.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#8 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:43 am

DGrangeRx33 wrote:I love this trade for the Raptors. I feel like with that core, they could really be a fun team to watch moving forward. They could swap Bargnani(not that they ever will), for some young talent and be set.

For the Pacers, it is interesting. Clearly it makes our bench better now, which we desperately need - however when Granger comes back, our bench will be better by moving Stephenson there anyway. Augustin has also stepped up lately. Watching Stephenson play has been amazing lately - I almost think he has more potential than Paul George does. With that said, it would suck to have Ross stuck on the bench when he will likely develop into a good player otherwise....not saying I wouldn't do it, but I don't like the idea of trading Granger for a bench player.

For the Grizzles, I think they decline. I think Granger fits their team better than Gay and I feel like he will come back healthy(just a guess, could be wrong) - but if they are trading Gay, I would imagine they would want some young players on rookie contracts. I get that they are in win now mode, but giving up Gay for a year and a half rental(which you suggested) doesn't seem like a good move on their part.

EDIT: I will say this trade is a hell of a lot better than probably 98% of the junk I see on this board though, so well done.

i see Ross as the Pacers "future" SG and George as their SF. Personally with Stephenson i see a future top 6th man ala Jamal Crawford. The starting wing duo would be one hell of a athletic one to watch. They also compliment eachother nicely, i honestly cant see the Pacers turning this down. Granger is 29 going on 30 and George has looked great as their SF, getting a future SG i really like for them. Not to mention having Calderon would be a huge lift to the bench. I cant speak for Stephensons defense but Ross' has really impressed me with his as a rookie. Thats why i see him starting and Stephenson off the bench in future years if this trade were to go down.

As for the Grizzles, i think if their going to trade Gay the main reason is luxury tax. Heisely said "they cant be a luxury tax team". Even though he sold the team i think thats a reflection of how small market teams like the Grizzles are having a very hard time with the luxury tax. Also not to mention next year they are 75 million committed WITHOUT Tony Allen whos a FA. If they re-sign him their pushing for over 80 million, cant see the owners spending that on them.

Now trading Gay for guys on rookie contracts is good and bad. Good is the fact that you have these guys locked up cheaply for years but bad because your losing one of your most marketable players. Which is why i think this deal is great for them. Granger is a guy they can sell to the fans. He "fits" with their current team better by providing that spacing while also being a star himself so they arent losing anything in that aspect.

For everyone asking Memphis saves:

which would put them at 69,713,956 million, below the luxury tax of 70.3 million. Also not to be underestimated is Alan Anderson in this deal. I think he could be a HUGE scoring lift off the bench for that team. You have to keep Memphis competitive while also reducing luxury tax concerns now and in the foreseeable future. Which brings me to my next point, next year.

Next year this deal would put them right around the same mark. 69 million. Which still wont be enough to resign Allen. Its easier though to make a trade involving Speights, Arthur, Pondexter, Bayless, to get a starting 2 or to clear cap to resign Allen while already being under the tax.

I assume Toronto gets Ellington?

To TOR: Gay + Augustin + Ellington
To MEM: Granger + Anderson
To IND: Ross + Calderon + Kleiza

Im a big fan of a deal like this for the Raptors. Ross/Derozan can never play together because they both need to play SG. Derozan isnt big enough to guard 3s and i like the addition of Gay. I also really like Augustin as a backup PG. I would look to resign him also in this deal. One problem for Toronto would be the luxury tax which im not sure if ownership would be willing to do. We saw with the Bluejays that if opportunity comes knocking they will be willing to spend but not sure the same can be said about the Raptors. Next season this deal would put Toronto at...

67,258,979 with their roster being pretty much complete. We would need a backup PG and backup SG but thats about it.

Kyle Lowry / Dj Augustin
Demar Derozan / SG
Rudy Gay / Landry Fields
Ed Davis / Andrea Bargnani / Quincy Acy
Jonas Val / Amir Johnson / Aaron Gray

is a very solid team.

All in all GREAT trade Dr Positivity i think every team should do it

Hill / Calderon / Hansbrough
Stephenson / Ross / Johnson
George / Green / Kleiza
West / Hansbrough / Pendergraph
Hibbert / Mahinmi / Plumlee

Conley / Bayless / Shelby
Allen / Anderson / Wroten
Granger / Pondexter
Randolph / Arthur
Gasol / Speights / Haddadi

really like both those lineups after this deal.
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#9 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:46 pm

I'm hearing that Calderon has once again won his place with the Raptors and it is Lowry that they'd be wanting to deal.

Granger is the face of the Pacers and wouldn't be traded short of the proverbial offer that no one could refuse. yes P George can play the 3 but in our offense a wing is a wing, and on defense he can defend the 2 or the 3, so we have no need to move Granger to allow PG to be a 3.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,626

Post#10 » by arbsn » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:24 pm

No way Grizz do this trade

Memphis wants to dump significant salary - $4 mill is far from significant

Not only that but they are clearly downgrading talent. Which they don't want to do

They would much rather take Dudley+Expirings+Picks than take Grangers contract and wonky knees

Great trade for Indy and Toronto though.
Lakonomy
Junior
And1: 15

Post#11 » by Lakonomy » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:07 am

It's a good try, but I want to trade Demar over Ross, both for salary reasons, and fit. I don't think Gay and Demar would work all that well together, since neither of them can shoot the 3 well, and both need touches on O. Plus we'd be spending almost $30 mil on our swingmen for the next few years.

Return to Trades and Transactions