Phoenix gets Gay?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

BLT
Junior
And1: 6

Phoenix gets Gay? 

Post#1 » by BLT » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:08 pm

Rumors going around that Memphis is about to send Gay to Phienix fir Jared Dudley and a couple of firsts
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,824

Re: Phoenix gets Gay? 

Post#2 » by shrink » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:11 pm

Well, Woj says the two sides are talking ..

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--suns- ... 05609.html

Woj wrote:The Memphis Grizzlies and Phoenix Suns are engaged in trade talks centered on forward Rudy Gay, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Rudy Gay is averaging 17.8 points and 5.8 rebounds this season. (USA Today Sports)The Grizzlies have been shopping Gay to multiple teams, and found an interested trade partner with the Suns, sources said.

There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.

In an effort to avoid paying luxury tax in the short term, as well as get off the $17.8 million and $19.3 million owed Gay in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, new Memphis management has aggressively shopped Gay. The Grizzlies have made proposals on Gay to several teams, front-office sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Gay will make $16.4 million this year.

The Suns have been mindful of their financial state under Phoenix owner Robert Sarver, and there are still doubts within the organization they will ultimately be able to absorb the remainder of Gay's contract.

The Suns own the Los Angeles Lakers' first round picks in 2013 and 2015.

PHX also owns the MIN pick, top 13 protected, but Woj often gets things wrong about MIN
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
pja123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#3 » by pja123 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:31 pm

This deal works financially:

Grizz get:
Jared Dudley
Wes Johndon
Shannon Brown

Suns get:
Rudy Gay
Tony Wroten
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#4 » by x- » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:38 pm

^Yup.

Not that it matters, but I think Hollinger liked Wroten, but not Selby coming out of college and financially it works with Selby instead of Wroten as well.
Really just comes down to the pick(s), though.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,485

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:39 pm

Horrible for Phoenix. They are probably the last team in the league that could use Gay. They do NOT need to cash strap their future with slightly-above average talent on hideous contracts. This is a team that is closer to the bottom than the playoffs. A deal like this might push team closer to the playoffs, but that gets them stuck drafting from the dreaded 8-12 area for years to come. The talent is good enough to keep your team afloat, but not good enough to make that final push for the playoffs. It's where the Bobcats were for a while. We blew it up because we were headed for the luxury tax despite being a team on the bubble year after year, with no way to improve through the draft or the free agent market.

Regardless, I think every team in the league that has any reason to care about costs would rather have Jared Dudley than Rudy Gay, simply because Gay makes nearly FOUR TIMES what Dudley makes.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
why22
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#6 » by why22 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:46 pm

Memphis rapes in this deal if its true.
Basketball_Jones wrote:BC holding Casey accountable would go like this:

BC: so I see you played Andrea quite a bit there when he was struggling
Casey: yeah I know, we needed spacing
BC: play him more (walks away)
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#7 » by EB2 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:49 pm

Dudley makes more of an impact on his team than Gay and that's without bringing their salaries into the discussion.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,505

Post#8 » by panthermark » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:54 pm

Good deal....IF....the Suns are the ones getting the pick.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#9 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:54 pm

stop the presses

///////Sources tell me that a Grizzlies/PHX deal for Rudy Gay is unlikely. Not enough assets, but PHX does love Rudy. chill. ////
post0115
Junior
And1: 35

Post#10 » by post0115 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:01 pm

No way Phx get Rudy Gay unless Gortat goes to 3rd team.
why22
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#11 » by why22 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:03 pm

maybe the suns do

Dudley
Johnson
Beasley

for

Gay

dumping beasley makes it less terrible for the suns i would imagine.
Basketball_Jones wrote:BC holding Casey accountable would go like this:

BC: so I see you played Andrea quite a bit there when he was struggling
Casey: yeah I know, we needed spacing
BC: play him more (walks away)
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,558

Post#12 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:07 pm

I agree a Beasley/Johnson swap for Gay makes more sense for Phoenix as Gays contract will prohibit Suns from a adding a major piece via free agency so they have to build through draft to improve team.

Whether Memphis wants Beasley remains to be seen. Memphis could offer MLE to a starting SF in the off-season if Beasley doesn't prove he can be a legit starting 3. The Grizz would still save $ and improve depth.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,209

Post#13 » by vege » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:08 pm

Dudley Johnson and Telfair + a TPE for Gay works.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#14 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:14 pm

That trade doesn't save the Griz $$$. I'm thinking Dudley+Frye+1st for Gay.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
lazfa199
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#15 » by lazfa199 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:14 pm

Gentry, Beasley, Dudley for Gay, makes it better for the suns
TruthTelling
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#16 » by TruthTelling » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:17 pm

LOL

Dudley himself is as good as Gay. Can you tell me why the Suns would include expiring contracts and picks for the luxury to pay Gay 37M$ over the next 2 years?

Ridiculous.

Gay and Wroten for Dudley, Johnson and Beasley would be more balanced.
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#17 » by SideSwipe » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:18 pm

Dudley, beasely, frye, lower of la or minny picks
For
Gay, Speights

Dramatically lowers Mem salary obligations and tax due to frye covered by ins. And taking back $4 mill less salary
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,695

Post#18 » by gswhoops » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:21 pm

I doubt a deal gets done without Phoenix including either Beasley or Frye.

Dudley, Beasley, and some picks for Gay would probably do it if the rumor is real.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,932

Post#19 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:23 pm

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:Horrible for Phoenix. They are probably the last team in the league that could use Gay. They do NOT need to cash strap their future with slightly-above average talent on hideous contracts. This is a team that is closer to the bottom than the playoffs. A deal like this might push team closer to the playoffs, but that gets them stuck drafting from the dreaded 8-12 area for years to come. The talent is good enough to keep your team afloat, but not good enough to make that final push for the playoffs. It's where the Bobcats were for a while. We blew it up because we were headed for the luxury tax despite being a team on the bubble year after year, with no way to improve through the draft or the free agent market.

Regardless, I think every team in the league that has any reason to care about costs would rather have Jared Dudley than Rudy Gay, simply because Gay makes nearly FOUR TIMES what Dudley makes.

This is so typical of the Suns current management team. Get a guy who's a "name" player that can sell some tickets and jerseys and to hell with trying to create a winning franchise in the future.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
TruthTelling
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#20 » by TruthTelling » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:23 pm

Why would we throw in picks there?!

Dudley, Beasley and Johnson is already giving Memphis an as good player and a huge expiring contract for Gay that is how much money Gay makes.

Return to Trades and Transactions