Phoenix gets Gay?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Re: Phoenix gets Gay? 

Post#81 » by Prospect Dong » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:34 pm

Last season was last season

Indeed.

and i beg to differ on the fact that you find him the 2nd best player that season

You may wish to suggest someone who you feel was better. You could make a case for either Allen or Conley, but I think you'd be wrong. You could also make a case for Gay over Gasol, but you'd also be wrong there.

Seemed Memphis played better when he was out, but that is neither here nor there.

It might be here, it might be there, but it's certainly wrong. You're thinking of the previous season, which coincided with Allen moving into the starting lineup and the team adding Battier.

You're only as good as your last game

In which case, between Sunday and Tuesday Dudley was worth as much as a guy averaging 7 points on 33% shooting. We should have traded for him then.

Dudley, WHO IS GETTING PAID $11M LESS! There is a reason that Memphis is trying to dump him and why they want Dudley, who wouldnt want the same production for $11M less?

As I noted in the post you quote, I'm happy to talk about production vs salary, once we have accepted that Gay is the better player. Some of you guys aren't there yet.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#82 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:38 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:
Last season Rudy Gay was the second best player on a team which earned home court advantage in the west.

Now write a comparable statement about Dudley...

Let's try that again shall we?

Last season was last season, and i beg to differ on the fact that you find him the 2nd best player that season. Seemed Memphis played better when he was out, but that is neither here nor there. How has he been this season? You're only as good as your last game. His stats this season show that he is on par with Dudley, WHO IS GETTING PAID $11M LESS! There is a reason that Memphis is trying to dump him and why they want Dudley, who wouldnt want the same production for $11M less? Hollinger aint no dummy! This is why they hired him!

Suns are a rebuilding team, the last thing they need to do is get rid of draft picks and cap space for Rudy Frickin' Gay. Let Toronto take him! They seem to be willing to offer draft picks in the deal, along with Calderon and Ed Davis.

Would they still be rebuilding though?

Dragic / Marshall

Gay / Beasley
Scola / Morris
Gortat / Frye
+
PHO #1, MIN #1, LAL #1

The starting 5 looks nearly set with vets, they have a 6th man in Beasley, back up bigs and a back up PG.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#83 » by phx#7 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:48 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:Would they still be rebuilding though?

Dragic / Marshall

Gay / Beasley
Scola / Morris
Gortat / Frye
+
PHO #1, MIN #1, LAL #1

The starting 5 looks nearly set with vets, they have a 6th man in Beasley, back up bigs and a back up PG.

That team still doesn't make the playoffs and is more limited going forward.

Btw Beasley has found his role on the team and it's not 6th man, it's DNP CD.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#84 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:02 pm

phx#7 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:Would they still be rebuilding though?

Dragic / Marshall

Gay / Beasley
Scola / Morris
Gortat / Frye
PHO #1, MIN #1, LAL #1

That team still doesn't make the playoffs and is more limited going forward.

Btw Beasley has found his role on the team and it's not 6th man, it's DNP CD.

Does this team make the playoffs?

Dragic / Marshall
Dudley
Beasley
Scola / Morris
Gortat / Frye
+
PHO #1, MIN #1, LAL #1
+
~$12m more in cap space?

And how do you plan on spending that cap space?

Seems when Phoenix signed Dragic, Beasley and Scola (and have also kept Gortat).. it said they wanted to try to win and not continue to rebuild.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
phx#7
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by phx#7 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:18 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Does this team make the playoffs?

Dragic / Marshall
Dudley
Beasley
Scola / Morris
Gortat / Frye
+
PHO #1, MIN #1, LAL #1
+
~$12m more in cap space?

Seems when Phoenix signed Dragic, Beasley and Scola (and have also kept Gortat).. it said they wanted to try to win and not continue to rebuild.

Of course it doesn't make the playoffs, it gets a high draft pick. If the Suns wanted to make a big move in FA then they could go after Iggy or Ellis who will make less than Gay and allow them to keep Dudley.

If you're asking what I'd do then I'd sit on the cap space until the right deal presents itself while continuing to accumulate assets. I'd also be looking for deals for Gortat and Dudley that included prospects on rookie deals and/or picks.
lazfa199
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#86 » by lazfa199 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:19 pm

The suns need to forget about moving Dudley he's fine where he is. Dragic, Brown, and Beasley are the players that need to moved. Brown just chucks away, and Alvin Gentry's love affair with him and his undeserved playing time is hurting the suns. The Beasley experiment failed, some might claim its still his injured hand or maybe he just didn't work out in the system and with the 10 man rotation, at this point its better just to move on. Lastly Dragic is not a point guard to rebuild with, he'll never be a top 10 player at his position, is already 26 years old, and most importantly he's not even a point guard.
TruthTelling
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#87 » by TruthTelling » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:40 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:

Your suggested lineups are all lottery teams and about the same as this years unless they lucked out in the draft and got a franchise player.

They would be best served to preserve their capspace until they hit the draft jackpot 2-3 times and have the young foundation in place to surround with role players in free agency.

If not signing guys like Iguodala, Evans, Jennings or Ellis is more value than giving up assets to trade for an already overpaid Gay.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#88 » by gaspar » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:30 pm

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620

Any trade for Rudy Gay would have Phoenix including Michael Beasley in the deal. Likely Beasley and either Dudley or Frye for Gay.

Still don't think the trade happens, Memphis desperate to trade Gay & save on lux tax but also want picks &Suns unlikely to give up any 1sts
phx#7
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by phx#7 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:43 pm

gaspar wrote:

Any trade for Rudy Gay would have Phoenix including Michael Beasley in the deal. Likely Beasley and either Dudley or Frye for Gay.

Still don't think the trade happens, Memphis desperate to trade Gay & save on lux tax but also want picks &Suns unlikely to give up any 1sts

Best news all day. Gambo may be an obnoxious reporter who talks out his ass 99% of the time but when it comes to the Suns he has the highest source there is and is usually proven right.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,078

Post#90 » by hcsilla » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:09 pm

loserX wrote:
hcsilla wrote:
N.O.R.E. wrote:Rudy Gay isn't going to win you (m)any more games this year anyway. In the offseason the Suns would have short term deals (Beasley's EC, or whatevers left after the Gay trade), and could use the amnesty on Frye (who could conceivably retire anyway).

They can't since they already did on Childress.

Acquiring Gay would do two things for the Suns: worsen their chances for a good draft pick and drastically reduce their cap flexibility.

In other words: this would be one of the worst moves ever for them. Even with Beasley and without any draft picks.

Not really sure about this argument. By that logic, maybe they should trade Dragic and Gortat for expirings and picks, too. Just imagine how good their draft pick and salary flexibility would be then!

Not a bad idea this is exactly what the Thunder has done, but don't forget that there is a minimum team salary so you can't trade everyone.
Having said that I definitely agree with you that the Suns should have to trade Gortat for expirings and youth.

This year's is not a strong draft and a relatively thin free agent pool. (And, let's be candid, the biggest names in that pool are real longshots for Phoenix in 2013.)

We will see.

Gay may be better than any player Phoenix can acquire in the offseason using a pick OR capspace,

Using a cap space in the offseason on anyone won't cost Dudley and any picks for the Suns.

hcsilla wrote:Comparing this to the Harden-deal is completely off since the Rockets were a borderline play-off team anyway plus Harden is a true star and max. player while Gay is not and he is older too.

He wasn't comparing the deal, he was comparing the talent difference.

I'm also comparing the talent difference between Gay and Harden plus pointing out to the fact that using all their assets on acquiring a true star did make sense for the Rockets and now doing the same for a semi-star would not make any sense for the Suns.

Return to Trades and Transactions