yardbarker

Spurs- Wolves

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Trader_Joe, jazzfan1971, loserX, moocow007, Chuck Texas

Post#1 Spurs- Wolves
Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:12 pm by Cklbmk

Spurs out: Jackson, Blair,2 1sts
Spurs in: Kirilenko

Wolves out: Kirilenko
Wolves in Jackson, Blair, 2 firsts

Spurs assume they have a good chance of resigning Kirilenko after he opts out at the end of the year. This makes them dangerous and frees up a roster spot

Wolves face the reality that AK is going to opt out at the end of the year and that their chances of retaining him are slim. They get a SF for the rest of the year in Jackson, a backup big in Blair, and 2 firsts.
Cklbmk



Analyst
Posts: 3,033
And1: 515
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Top

Post#2 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 pm by Chuck Texas

If Minny decides this season is lost with Love hurt and Rubio clearly not right then this is a good deal for both sides. Im not getting the sense they are ready to concede tho.
jayjaysee wrote:I'm all for KD never leaving OKC, but when people say "keep cap space for 2016" they are really just saying "hey KD could think we are pretty"
Chuck Texas





Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
User avatar
Posts: 14,470
And1: 3,696
Joined: May 19, 2012
Top

Post#3 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:20 pm by pad300

It works for SAS. I think it's a wait for the deadline deal for MIN. I am not sure that SAS will need to pony up two 1sts. One might do the trick - all they are really buying is trading expirings (Blair, Jackson) for (effectively) expiring AK. On first for what amounts to a 3 month rental of AK (AK hasn't been under contract long enough for SAS to get his Bird rights) is probably a more likely price point. I'm not sure I see another team competing with SAS to drive the price of AK up...who else would be strongly interested and have $10 million in expirings?
pad300
Pro Prospect
Posts: 832
And1: 11
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
Top

Post#4 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 am by BigLurch92

I can almost gurentee both teams so this.
Jim Morrison is not dead he is just not alive.
BigLurch92



Veteran
Posts: 2,650
And1: 250
Joined: Jan 7, 2005
Location: Portland/Missoula
Top

Post#5 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 am by AQuintus

I really don't see any reason at all for Minnesota to do this. A couple of late firsts, and a 4th string PF don't make up for the difference between Kirilenko and Jackson.
Image
AQuintus


General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 8,777
And1: 1,749
Joined: Jan 10, 2008
Location: But let me speak for the weak, I mean the rookies
Top

Post#6 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 am by [RCG]

Make it 2013 and 2015 top-3 protected and I'd say you have a deal at the deadline if Minnesota's ship is sunk.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
[RCG]
Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 7,047
And1: 135
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul
Top

Post#7 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 am by Cklbmk

AQuintus wrote:I really don't see any reason at all for Minnesota to do this. A couple of late firsts, and a 4th string PF don't make up for the difference between Kirilenko and Jackson.


Thats cool, if you'd rather lose him for nothing at the end of the year by all means do it.
Cklbmk



Analyst
Posts: 3,033
And1: 515
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Top

Post#8 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:52 am by Chuck Texas

I truly doubt AK opts out unless he and Minny agree on a mulityear deal first. Hard to imagine he finds a better deal out there. Slim chance anybody with cap space gives him more than the MLE and I doubt anybody wants to give him 3 years. I think he plays out the 2nd year or creates a little more room for Minny to resign Pek/make other moves by redoing his deal to like 2/17 or something.
jayjaysee wrote:I'm all for KD never leaving OKC, but when people say "keep cap space for 2016" they are really just saying "hey KD could think we are pretty"
Chuck Texas





Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
User avatar
Posts: 14,470
And1: 3,696
Joined: May 19, 2012
Top

Post#9 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:19 am by pad300

Texas Chuck wrote:I truly doubt AK opts out unless he and Minny agree on a mulityear deal first. Hard to imagine he finds a better deal out there. Slim chance anybody with cap space gives him more than the MLE and I doubt anybody wants to give him 3 years. I think he plays out the 2nd year or creates a little more room for Minny to resign Pek/make other moves by redoing his deal to like 2/17 or something.


I'm pretty sure he'd find someone willing to offer $30m/3 years. He's been MIN's MVP. According to theNBAgeek.com, he's been the 7th best wp/48 (not including players with less than 150 min)...and he's playing decent minutes.
pad300
Pro Prospect
Posts: 832
And1: 11
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
Top

Post#10 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:15 am by Mattya

I really doubt he opts out. Like others have said. If he is opting out its to extend for longer at a similar price for longer. I don't see the point for Minnesota unless that second 1st is during a year where Duncan and Manu retire. Otherwise these are two late firsts and expirings for the Wolves best player this season. Thanks, but no thanks.
Mattya


Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 6,869
And1: 909
Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Top

Post#11 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:08 am by Chuck Texas

pad300 wrote:
I'm pretty sure he'd find someone willing to offer $30m/3 years. He's been MIN's MVP. According to theNBAgeek.com, he's been the 7th best wp/48 (not including players with less than 150 min)...and he's playing decent minutes.


Im not questioning how well he's played this season, but he will be nearly 33 when next season starts.
jayjaysee wrote:I'm all for KD never leaving OKC, but when people say "keep cap space for 2016" they are really just saying "hey KD could think we are pretty"
Chuck Texas





Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
User avatar
Posts: 14,470
And1: 3,696
Joined: May 19, 2012
Top

Post#12 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:29 am by franktony

I doubt they give up that much on Kirilenko unless they like him as a starting material PF.

As for the picks, it depends on the protection. The 2013 pick will be a late one, but we don't know about the 2015 pick. Manu and Timmy could simply retire after next season and that pick would be really important for SAS rebuilding process. I find it hard to believe SA would include that pick tbh.

Jack + Blair + 2013 pick I would do it. Still, Minny has no reason to do it considering how well Kirilenko has been playing.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
franktony



Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 2,514
And1: 396
Joined: Jul 16, 2010
Top

Post#13 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:16 am by shrink

A few days ago, I would say that this deal wouldn't fly, because the Wolves were all-in on making the play-offs, all through the organization.

However, after the Clippers game where both Pekovic and Shved got injured, I think even the front office has to consider throwing in the white towel for 2013. They don't have a back-up center. After four guys have gotten knocked out with major knee surgery, they don't have a back-up SG either. Rubio may make some players better, but I see no way they can win a game against an NBA team in at least the next 7-10 days. To me, I think Kahn's comments yesterday (reprinted in WireTap) show that we may be looking at a change of direction.

Kirilenko has been tremendous for the Wolves - the MVP of the season. He seems to love it here as well, and plays full out, with a smile on his face, all the time. From attitude alone, he'd be a nice guy to keep, especially since the wolves are invested in Shved. I don't have concerns about him opting out of his $10.2 mil deal next year to go elsewhere - I imagine though he'd go for a three-year, $24 mil new contract.

However, I think this is a legitimate offer from the Spurs, and I think he's earned the right to try to get a ring. The value is in the latter 1st, and it's possible it could be a good pick .. although you never want to bet against the Spurs. Maybe they could make this offer, and agree to make the pick for the Wolves too?
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,168
And1: 284
Joined: Sep 25, 2005
Top

Post#14 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 pm by Devilzsidewalk

COUNTER

Derrick Williams, Luke Ridnour, Lou Amundson

for

Danny Green, Gary Neal, Matt Boner
Image
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 26,438
And1: 1,837
Joined: Oct 9, 2005
Location: حَبيبي
Top

Post#15 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm by Blame Rasho

Devilzsidewalk wrote:COUNTER

Derrick Williams, Luke Ridnour, Lou Amundson

for

Danny Green, Gary Neal, Matt Boner


Williams really needs to find a niche on another team if he is already considered a guy to give up on.
It is illogical to use logic on an illogical person.
Solution...use even more illogical logic to trump their logic.
Things I have learned on the general board this week
Greg Popovich hurting the integrity of the NBA
Blame Rasho
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 35,659
And1: 2,517
Joined: Apr 24, 2002
Top

Post#16 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:17 pm by Cklbmk

franktony wrote:I doubt they give up that much on Kirilenko unless they like him as a starting material PF.

As for the picks, it depends on the protection. The 2013 pick will be a late one, but we don't know about the 2015 pick. Manu and Timmy could simply retire after next season and that pick would be really important for SAS rebuilding process. I find it hard to believe SA would include that pick tbh.

Jack + Blair + 2013 pick I would do it. Still, Minny has no reason to do it considering how well Kirilenko has been playing.



I look at him as starting PF and insurance that Splitter doesn't get too expensive. If we retain Splitter with him then he would be back up SF and PF(maybe start and make Splitter back up both PF/C). Diaw would get whatever minutes are left over.

Imagine a line up of TP / Leonard/AK / Splitter / Duncan when we want to play big.

I think the second pick is needed because I don't think the 2013 pick has any real value.
Cklbmk



Analyst
Posts: 3,033
And1: 515
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Top

Post#17 Re: Spurs- Wolves
Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:23 am by GopherIt!

Cklbmk wrote:
AQuintus wrote:I really don't see any reason at all for Minnesota to do this. A couple of late firsts, and a 4th string PF don't make up for the difference between Kirilenko and Jackson.


Thats cool, if you'd rather lose him for nothing at the end of the year by all means do it.


When Pek gets healthy he is going to add grandpa Duncan to the skull section of his tattoo.
GopherIt!
Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,106
And1: 245
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: Location: Location
Top


Return to Trades and Transactions


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: [SteveM], becorz, bigmean, bpcox05, cl2117, drosestruts, Fattz, loserX, MancrushonBigAl, NBADraft2003, pacers33granger