Poll: Where will Josh Smith land?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Where will Josh Smith play after the deadline?

Atlanta Hawks
11%
Boston Celtics
14%
Brooklyn Nets
4%
Milwaukee Bucks
20%
Philadelphia 76ers
1%
Dallas Mavericks
6%
Houston Rockets
16%
Phoenix Suns
10%
San Antonio Spurs
6%
Other
11%

Total votes: 140

Sasaki
Veteran
And1: 781

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#21 » by Sasaki » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:52 am

I'm going with Phoenix, with San Antonio a close 2nd. Phoenix wins because out of all the teams listed, they're easily one of the more clueless front offices and I really could see them being stupid enough to continue to try to build around Smith.

If the Lakers were as good as everyone thought they would be, I think Houston would be a viable candidate. But there's no way Houston can get Smith AND Howard, and so I guess Morey will attempt to pursue the bigger prize.
But do you know what they call a fool, who's full of himself and jumps into the path of death because it's cool?
nbasuperstar40
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by nbasuperstar40 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:56 am

I like:

Milwaukee
Charlotte

I covet BJ/Daly. As for Charlotte, I covet their unprotected 2013 lotto pick. I would love to land Oladipo, McLemore, or Noel.

Houston has decent pieces but nothing that is a need for us. We don't need a PF. I don't like Jones or White. I like Asik but they aren't trading him. I don't like their PG's. I just don't like their prospects at all. I see a bunch of role players.

Phoenix has Gortat, Dudley and Marshall for Smith and Morrow. I wouldn't mind doing that deal. I think it's good value.
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#23 » by parson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:01 am

Sasaki wrote:I'm going with Phoenix, with San Antonio a close 2nd. Phoenix wins because out of all the teams listed, they're easily one of the more clueless front offices and I really could see them being stupid enough to continue to try to build around Smith.

If the Lakers were as good as everyone thought they would be, I think Houston would be a viable candidate. But there's no way Houston can get Smith AND Howard, and so I guess Morey will attempt to pursue the bigger prize.

Gortat answers several questions for ATL. SA? Not unless they're talking Leonard/Splitter and how could they possibly do that?

I think HOU wants Smith but Ferry wants Asik. I further think Morey wants to keep Asik to offer to LA if Howard makes them SNT him to HOU (Josh Smith could help that happen.) The fact that we're not hearing anything about HOU, even though they've been publicly looking at Smith as a FA, seems to me to mean they're keeping it close to the cuff. I think Morey's plan is Howard/Smith/Parsons/Harden/Lin.

I know: lotta thinking going on without much evidence.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#24 » by phx#7 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:09 am

ATF wrote:Anywhere but Phoenix!!
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#25 » by zapatasblood » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 am

Not Houston
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
nbasuperstar40
Banned User

Post#26 » by nbasuperstar40 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:26 am

zapatasblood wrote:Not Houston

I agree.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#27 » by DusterBuster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:38 am

parson wrote:
Troubadour wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I think he ends up staying in Atlanta.

Atlanta front office says otherwise

They're saying no such thing.

You're perhaps referring to the trade talk? Maybe, or maybe they're letting Smith find out his worth on the open market.

I don't think they'll get an offer that gives the Hawks enough value in return for them to consider pulling the trigger. He's a big risk to be a half-season rental for most teams to be willing to give up a ton for him. That's my guess at least.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
magic wand time
Junior
And1: 6

Post#28 » by magic wand time » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:41 am

Troubadour wrote:The only way a 2 way deal between Boston/Atlanta works is Pierce for Smith + Morrow.

Which leads us back to Dwight to Boston talk... since two of his best buds from the youth leagues land there.
milesfides wrote:If I were management and I saw one of my players crying, tweeting, and listening to Drake, I would punch him in the face.

Stern's Legacy in two words: BASKETBALL REASONS {the NBA's future instantly changed}
nbasuperstar40
Banned User

Post#29 » by nbasuperstar40 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:42 am

Why would Atlanta want Paul Pierce?
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#30 » by SuperflyKnick » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:56 am

magic wand time wrote:
Troubadour wrote:The only way a 2 way deal between Boston/Atlanta works is Pierce for Smith + Morrow.

Which leads us back to Dwight to Boston talk... since two of his best buds from the youth leagues land there.

Why wud the Hawks trade smith for a aging Pierce, and why the hell wud Boston trade for smith and give him a max deal, they already have several bad contracts at foward
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#31 » by NashtyNas » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:10 am

He's going to Houston or Phoenix. I'm praying that he doesn't end up a Sun, but I know our FO is desperate enough to make the move.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#32 » by zapatasblood » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:16 am

I_Socrates wrote:He's going to Houston or Phoenix. I'm praying that he doesn't end up a Sun, but I know our FO is desperate enough to make the move.

But ours is not and has no need for him. Rockets are saving cap space and what little assets for the upcoming offseason. Look for Houston to shed more salary and gain picks
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#33 » by Troubadour » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:27 am

Here's a huge blockbuster trade...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=bjuxvck

Boston
Josh Smith
Dwight Howard

Atlanta
Eric Bledsoe
Deandre Jordan

LAL
Rajon Rondo
Jeff Green

LAC
Kevin Garnett

Boston...
Bradley/Terry
Lee/Jenkins
Pierce
Smith/Bass
Howard/Collins

This team remains competitive while rebuilding for the future. A core of Bradley, Smith, and Howard could be quite promising going forward.

Atlanta would have to decide between Teague and Bledsoe, but this is definitely the highest value they can receive for Smith via trade.

(Teague/Bledsoe)/Williams
Harris/Stevenson
(SF from PG trade)/Korver
Horford/Johnson
Jordan/Pachulia

The Clippers have been discussing this trade for quite some time. This makes them instant contenders for the championship.

The Lakers look to the future with this trade, but write off this year in the process.

2013/2014
Rondo/Nash
Bryant/Meeks
World Peace/Clark
Green/Jamison
Gasol/Hill

This line-up would give the Lakers an identity going forward. Playing with Bryant may end up being the best thing to ever happen to Rondo.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#34 » by BossHoggin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:46 am

nbasuperstar40 wrote:I covet BJ/Daly. As for Charlotte, I covet their unprotected 2013 lotto pick. I would love to land Oladipo, McLemore, or

You can only get a pick swap, and I doubt that happens
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#35 » by WizardsWorld » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 am

I'm guessing Phoenix. I think Gortat will be a wanted target for the Hawks so they can finally move Horford to PF where he belongs. Even if Gortat wasn't in the deal... some package with Dudley, Morris, 1st would probably work too.
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#36 » by tcorbin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:16 am

This is the fourth year in a row people have been talking about Josh Smith, and all four time, nothing happens and he remains in Atlanta, and it has nothing to do with Josh's skill sets, talent, or attitude..... it all has to do with contracts.

Horford, Josh, and Joe are all about equal in talent and impact, the only difference is that Horford is underpaid and on a great contract, so Atlanta would not want to move him. Joe is on a horrible, overpaid contact, and was untradeable until Brooklyn happened..... Josh is just in that "not too cold, not too hot" area, contract wise, which makes him appealing to other team and semi-tradeable by the Hawks.

every year, alot of dumb casual fans make about a dozen Josh Smith trade threads and they are all bad, and every year, the Hawks never trade him, because he is way too good to be traded away.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#37 » by franktony » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Not San Antonio

I wouldn't trade Splitter alone for Smith. Adding Leonard just make me laugh.

Phoenix sucks right now and they've been aggressive pursuing players they want (@ Gordon).

I think Smith goes to Phoenix for Gortat + Dudley.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#38 » by kiwibrindle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm thinking Dallas. Mavs have expirings and Ferry is clearing cap space. Maybe Kaman and a few of the other 11 other expirings for Smith makes sense for both. Atl is going no place and Dal has tons of dead wood plus Cuban has money.
ray ray
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#39 » by ray ray » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:55 pm

phx#7 wrote:
ATF wrote:Anywhere but Phoenix!!
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Post#40 » by the_process » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Troubadour wrote:Here's a huge blockbuster trade...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=bjuxvck

Boston
Josh Smith
Dwight Howard

Atlanta
Eric Bledsoe
Deandre Jordan

LAL
Rajon Rondo
Jeff Green

LAC
Kevin Garnett

Boston...
Bradley/Terry
Lee/Jenkins
Pierce
Smith/Bass
Howard/Collins

This team remains competitive while rebuilding for the future. A core of Bradley, Smith, and Howard could be quite promising going forward.

Atlanta would have to decide between Teague and Bledsoe, but this is definitely the highest value they can receive for Smith via trade.

(Teague/Bledsoe)/Williams
Harris/Stevenson
(SF from PG trade)/Korver
Horford/Johnson
Jordan/Pachulia

The Clippers have been discussing this trade for quite some time. This makes them instant contenders for the championship.

The Lakers look to the future with this trade, but write off this year in the process.

2013/2014
Rondo/Nash
Bryant/Meeks
World Peace/Clark
Green/Jamison
Gasol/Hill

This line-up would give the Lakers an identity going forward. Playing with Bryant may end up being the best thing to ever happen to Rondo.

I would tweak this deal slightly.

ATL gets Jordan and Bledsoe
BOS gets Howard, Smith, and Butler
LAC gets Pierce and Garnett
LAL gets Rondo and Odom

Return to Trades and Transactions