Poll: Where will Josh Smith land?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Where will Josh Smith play after the deadline?

Atlanta Hawks
11%
Boston Celtics
14%
Brooklyn Nets
4%
Milwaukee Bucks
20%
Philadelphia 76ers
1%
Dallas Mavericks
6%
Houston Rockets
16%
Phoenix Suns
10%
San Antonio Spurs
6%
Other
11%

Total votes: 140

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#141 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed May 8, 2013 8:32 pm

Run PDX wrote:I was thinking that Atlanta might be able to work out a way to have Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, and Chris Paul... if they trade Al Horford to a team with cap space - like Dallas, Portland, or Sacramento.

Would Atlanta take #10, cap space, and Wes Matthews for Al Horford and filler?

Following this thread to its logical conclusion, if Atlanta needed to dump Horford for capspace, I'm thinking they would rather give him away to the Clippers for free in a s&t than shop him around for take assets like the 10th pick.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#142 » by theatlfan » Wed May 8, 2013 8:37 pm

Yeah, I can't see an SNT deal with HOU unless they were trying to dump Lin on us and I couldn't see us picking up Lin's balloon payment in the '14-'15 season. It'd have to be with another team. The only possibility I see right now is if MIL was trying to make a big move in the off-season and kept Monta, Reddick, Jennings, and still went fishing for Smoove.

HartfordWhalers wrote:So the scenario is the best 4 year contract that Josh can get is 10m a year for 4 years, but Atlanta is willing to pay an 18m a year 1 year deal?

Okay, I guess in that situation it does seems reasonable, even likely that he takes 18m for 1 year. However, that scenario sounds pretty absurd.

To hit the salary floor. Between 6 draft picks last year and this, Selvin Mack, L Williams, and Horford, we have 9 players under contract for about $25M. If we strike out in FA, then we'd have to spend approximately $30M somewhere and pulling a deal like Kaman's current one with DAL between ATL and Smoove could make logical sense for both parties. If Smoove moves on, then we'd probably give the $$ to someone else anyway - why not give it to the hometown kid to keep him around another year?

Run PDX wrote:I was thinking that Atlanta might be able to work out a way to have Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, and Chris Paul... if they trade Al Horford to a team with cap space - like Dallas, Portland, or Sacramento.

Would Atlanta take #10, cap space, and Wes Matthews for Al Horford and filler?
We wouldn't do the deal until we knew that Howard and Paul we're coming which would be after the draft (so #10 wouldn't be part of the deal). Also, the offer couldn't include any $$ coming back so that we could have the room to sign the 3. So the deal as stated would be a "no". I'd imagine that if we were getting the top 2 FA's and Smoove though, then we'd got some decent offers in a Horford for pure cap space deal since the teams that would have been shopping for these guys just got left empty handed. OTOH, I'd think that every ATL fan would prefer to hold Horford to pair with Dwight than pair him with Smoove, but there are obvious complications there. There are a lot of scenarios there...
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#143 » by inquisitive » Thu May 9, 2013 4:46 pm

rockets pick up the options of beverly, smith, and parsons. they won't pickup options for the rest of the non-guaranteed/team option players....this gives their cap at $41.9mil.... cap at $60mil for next season...to give howard max of 21.5mil, they would need to get rid of trob and white...maybe for a low pick or free...just enough to get under $60mil...that way they can trade asik later on for(josh smith(S/T ?), LMA, etc. ??) or just keep him if they wish.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#144 » by rugbyrugger23 » Thu May 9, 2013 6:36 pm

If LMA could/would play center, Smith at PF paired with LMA would be a great fit.

C-LMA
PF-Smith
SF-Batum
SG-Matthews
PG-Lillard

Return to Trades and Transactions