Poll: Where will Josh Smith land?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Smitty731, jazzfan1971, Chuck Texas, moocow007, loserX, Trader_Joe, bondom34

Where will Josh Smith play after the deadline?

Atlanta Hawks
16
12%
Boston Celtics
20
14%
Brooklyn Nets
5
4%
Milwaukee Bucks
28
20%
Philadelphia 76ers
2
1%
Dallas Mavericks
8
6%
Houston Rockets
23
17%
Phoenix Suns
14
10%
San Antonio Spurs
8
6%
Other
15
11%
 
Total votes: 139

User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 46,427
And1: 2,289
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#76 » by dockingsched » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:56 am

i think the whole "he wants a max deal" comment is irrelevant. every player wants the most money he can get, whether they say it or not. only thing that matters is if someone out there is willing to offer it to him, which would have been the case public comment or not.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
User avatar
Kilo
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,130
And1: 902
Joined: Jun 18, 2011

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#77 » by Kilo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:50 am

DC Wizards.
User avatar
youngthegiant
Veteran
Posts: 2,612
And1: 309
Joined: Aug 31, 2011
   

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#78 » by youngthegiant » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:04 am

Definitely going to land in houston.
parson
General Manager
Posts: 9,551
And1: 116
Joined: May 02, 2001

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#79 » by parson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:14 am

youngthegiant wrote:Definitely going to land in houston.

Why? Not arguing, just interested. HOU traded away many of the assets they were rumored to be able to offer for Smith. All they have that's tradeable is 3 PFs (although ATL already likes it's PF situation and wants to move Horford there) and Asik.

Surely you don't think the Rockets would trade Asik for Smith, do you?
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
Warriorfan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,460
And1: 50
Joined: Jun 24, 2001

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#80 » by Warriorfan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:13 am

Hou
Garcia Delfino T Rob and R White. For Petro Josh Smith my prediction exp deals and talented young bugs in rookie deals is a solid rebuild pkg
User avatar
weezybaby856
Starter
Posts: 2,119
And1: 175
Joined: Jul 04, 2008
Location: Jabari Island
       

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#81 » by weezybaby856 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 am

Milwaukee

Monta, Dalembert and Udrih for Josh, Anthony Morrow and Devin Harris.

Deal saves Atlanta about 22mil in cap space when Monta opts out and hits UFA. Atlanta wants max cap space to throw at Dwight and CP3 in the offseason. Milwaukee can offer more cap space than any other team mentioned.

Not to mention Monta, Dalembert and Udrih help ATL save face this year and keep them in the playoffs before they all expire.

Ferry wants cap space, he could care less about prospects who don't have star potential like the players mentioned from Houston.

And no way Washington is even realistic. They deemed anything valuable on the roster untouchable and don't offer anywhere close to the cap space Milwaukee can.

I'm obviously a Bucks fan but I'm also obviously being 100% realistic and non homerish like some other fans are who think Josh will play for their favorite teams and they can just give away their garbage for him.
Emcee Dub - Khash Moneyton - Greek Freak - Jabarles Parkley

The future is so bright, the sun and the moon are jealous 8-)
branny
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,810
And1: 27
Joined: Jun 01, 2012

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#82 » by branny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 am

I have mixed feelings about this, I have no idea which team will be negotiate a good contract with him
User avatar
Troubadour
General Manager
Posts: 8,539
And1: 2,322
Joined: Jun 18, 2007
Location: Toronto
 

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#83 » by Troubadour » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:43 pm

The only teams left in the running seem to be Brooklyn, Milwaukee, and possibly Boston.
User avatar
RoyalWun
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,343
And1: 214
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: NY, New York
     

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#84 » by RoyalWun » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm

parson wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:Definitely going to land in houston.

Why? Not arguing, just interested. HOU traded away many of the assets they were rumored to be able to offer for Smith. All they have that's tradeable is 3 PFs (although ATL already likes it's PF situation and wants to move Horford there) and Asik.

Surely you don't think the Rockets would trade Asik for Smith, do you?


Although the chances are slim, Houston absolutely CAN pull off getting Smith+Howard.

And to be honest, the only reason I say the chances are slim is because nobody is sure if Smith or Howard will take a bit less to play together.

If so: Lin/Harden/Parsons/Smith/Howard could be a deadly team.
Portland:

D. Lillard | S. Blake
A. Afflalo | C. McCollum | A. Crabbe | [W. Matthews]
N. Batum | D. Wright | A. Gee
L. Aldridge | J. Freeland | M. Leonard
R. Lopez | C. Kaman
niffoc4
Pro Prospect
Posts: 981
And1: 2
Joined: Jun 24, 2006

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#85 » by niffoc4 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 pm

weezybaby856 wrote:Milwaukee

Monta, Dalembert and Udrih for Josh, Anthony Morrow and Devin Harris.

Deal saves Atlanta about 22mil in cap space when Monta opts out and hits UFA. Atlanta wants max cap space to throw at Dwight and CP3 in the offseason. Milwaukee can offer more cap space than any other team mentioned.

Not to mention Monta, Dalembert and Udrih help ATL save face this year and keep them in the playoffs before they all expire.

Ferry wants cap space, he could care less about prospects who don't have star potential like the players mentioned from Houston.

And no way Washington is even realistic. They deemed anything valuable on the roster untouchable and don't offer anywhere close to the cap space Milwaukee can.

I'm obviously a Bucks fan but I'm also obviously being 100% realistic and non homerish like some other fans are who think Josh will play for their favorite teams and they can just give away their garbage for him.
What's the incentive for the Hawks though? Getting to see Horford play PF for half a season? They would have the same amount of cap space either way, since your suggested deal is expirings for expirings. Perhaps if there were a pick involved, or a single young player (or both), then it might be interesting.
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 16,637
And1: 1,933
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
     

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#86 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:48 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I think he ends up staying in Atlanta.


Nailed it.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
parson
General Manager
Posts: 9,551
And1: 116
Joined: May 02, 2001

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#87 » by parson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm

RoyalWun wrote:
parson wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:Definitely going to land in houston.

Why? Not arguing, just interested. HOU traded away many of the assets they were rumored to be able to offer for Smith. All they have that's tradeable is 3 PFs (although ATL already likes it's PF situation and wants to move Horford there) and Asik.

Surely you don't think the Rockets would trade Asik for Smith, do you?


Although the chances are slim, Houston absolutely CAN pull off getting Smith+Howard.

And to be honest, the only reason I say the chances are slim is because nobody is sure if Smith or Howard will take a bit less to play together.

If so: Lin/Harden/Parsons/Smith/Howard could be a deadly team.

If I'm reading y'all's salary structure correctly, with cap holds, y'all will have about $42 million promised for 2013, leaving almost enough for ONE max free agent - around $18 million. How little do you expect Howard and Smith to settle for?

Seems to me, you'll have to trade for one of them in order to have enough to sign the other outright.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
Posts: 841
And1: 92
Joined: Dec 09, 2012

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#88 » by tcorbin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 am

tcorbin wrote:This is the fourth year in a row people have been talking about Josh Smith, and all four time, nothing happens and he remains in Atlanta, and it has nothing to do with Josh's skill sets, talent, or attitude..... it all has to do with contracts.

Horford, Josh, and Joe are all about equal in talent and impact, the only difference is that Horford is underpaid and on a great contract, so Atlanta would not want to move him. Joe is on a horrible, overpaid contact, and was untradeable until Brooklyn happened..... Josh is just in that "not too cold, not too hot" area, contract wise, which makes him appealing to other team and semi-tradeable by the Hawks.

every year, alot of dumb casual fans make about a dozen Josh Smith trade threads and they are all bad, and every year, the Hawks never trade him, because he is way too good to be traded away.


As usual.... i'm always right.

It is funny for me, how every year, casual NBA fans make up stories about how their team is going to trade for Josh Smith, because they want him on their team so bad :lol:
User avatar
franktony
Veteran
Posts: 2,676
And1: 526
Joined: Jul 16, 2010
   

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#89 » by franktony » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:12 pm

franktony wrote:
x- wrote:Meh. The Spurs system really isn't that hard to pick up. It might be one of the easier systems to pick up, in fact. You just have to be disciplined and solid.

If there's one coach that could make it works it's Pop.

Still it's funny that pretty no fans of any team want Smith. :lol:


What's even funnier are Hawks fans saying that a Spurs offer should start with Leonard and Splitter

Sorry, but our GM is not Billy King.

When Billy's offer for your player is horrible (Hump+Brooks+1st), than you're screwed. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if Smith stays in Atlanta tbh.


Told you x :lol:

Atlanta fans were really delusional about Smith's value.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
x-
Analyst
Posts: 3,276
And1: 71
Joined: Dec 06, 2005
 

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#90 » by x- » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Good call :)

I actually didn't think it was a home run that Smith was getting traded myself.
I just wanted Smith to go to the Spurs! I really like watching them and thought Smith could have been a really interesting fit.

Now, the question will be for how long Smith will actually with the Hawks. I won't try to predict his mind, but from all indications Smith's tenure in Atlanta might only have been extended for a few months.
HartfordWhalers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 16,212
And1: 2,020
Joined: Apr 07, 2010

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#91 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:33 pm

I said any Josh trade had to be ridiculous.

He was not traded, and a day later its reported he is highly unlikely to be resigned. Meanwhile, Atlanta with him isn't a true contender this year, and hoping for something from a sign and trade isvery optimistic.

So, success? (although not phx or the bucks)
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
Posts: 841
And1: 92
Joined: Dec 09, 2012

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#92 » by tcorbin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:39 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:I said any Josh trade had to be ridiculous.

He was not traded, and a day later its reported he is highly unlikely to be resigned. Meanwhile, Atlanta with him isn't a true contender this year, and hoping for something from a sign and trade isvery optimistic.

So, success? (although not phx or the bucks)


Every report about Josh has been ridiculously bad. Every year their is a report about Josh leaving or being traded and every time "reports" are always wrong, its just stupid hack journalism. i don't know why gullible casual fans keep beleiving all those wrong reports.
HartfordWhalers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 16,212
And1: 2,020
Joined: Apr 07, 2010

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#93 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:44 pm

So, your of the expert opinion he isn't on the outs with Atlanta. A lot of Hawks fans feel otherwise.
User avatar
winter_mute_13
Veteran
Posts: 2,805
And1: 257
Joined: Oct 08, 2003
 

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#94 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:43 am

I think at the end of the day, Smoove is going to the team that makes him the largest offer. If that's Atlanta, then he'll stay for sure. It's not like an awkward relationship between Hawks' FO and him is a new thing.

For Atlanta, you have to figure that they'll try to re-sign Smoove if they can't get Dwight Howard interested. If only to keep him as a trade asset for later. Can't imagine a better use for their cap space.
orlandomanic
Rookie
Posts: 1,122
And1: 272
Joined: Jan 11, 2012

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#95 » by orlandomanic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:27 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:I think at the end of the day, Smoove is going to the team that makes him the largest offer. If that's Atlanta, then he'll stay for sure. It's not like an awkward relationship between Hawks' FO and him is a new thing.

For Atlanta, you have to figure that they'll try to re-sign Smoove if they can't get Dwight Howard interested. If only to keep him as a trade asset for later. Can't imagine a better use for their cap space.


You have that backwards, Hawks have enough cap space for 3 max contracts, they want to sign both Smith and Howard.

Return to Trades and Transactions