Official: Rockets trade for Thomas Robinson

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who won the trade

Houston
90%
Sacramento
5%
Both
1%
Neither
4%

Total votes: 83

FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Re: Official: Rockets trade for Thomas Robinson 

Post#46 » by FutureKnicksGM » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:22 am

The hell is wrong with the kings
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#47 » by Lindecision » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 am

pennyspree wrote:The hell is wrong with the kings

they got the best player in the deal - Patrick Patterson
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,467

Post#48 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:34 am

If the Rockets get Milsap for T-Rob, I'm going to be sick. He would have been perfect for the Kings, even if they didn't re-sign him.
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#49 » by Lindecision » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:52 am

iLovePillWenney wrote:If the Rockets get Milsap for T-Rob, I'm going to be sick. He would have been perfect for the Kings, even if they didn't re-sign him.

why? Kings wouldn't have been able to keep Millsap anyway, they can at least keep Patterson for a number of years and build around him and Cousins. now all they need to do is get Bledsoe :lol:
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,467

Post#50 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:53 am

Lindecision wrote:
iLovePillWenney wrote:If the Rockets get Milsap for T-Rob, I'm going to be sick. He would have been perfect for the Kings, even if they didn't re-sign him.

why? Kings wouldn't have been able to keep Millsap anyway, they can at least keep Patterson for a number of years and build around him and Cousins. now all they need to do is get Bledsoe :lol:

We'll get him and Wall and move the team to Kentucky instead!
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#51 » by Zubby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:03 am

Guy986 wrote:How inept is the Kings organization.

If i'm the GM of the Kings i would be too embarassed to make this trade. Either way he loses.

If Robinson turns out to be a bust, he made a terrible pick.
If Robinson turns out well, he made a terribad trade.

iirc

Longest tenured GM in the NBA...

lol
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#52 » by BossHoggin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:12 am

Kings, Nets, Grizzlies all know how to deal :lol:
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#53 » by BigLurch92 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:45 am

I think Patterson is a good fir for the Kings.
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#54 » by WizardsWorld » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:48 am

Very impressed with the Rockets here. They are getting good quickly... get a steal here.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#55 » by FutureKnicksGM » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:01 am

Lindecision wrote:
pennyspree wrote:The hell is wrong with the kings

they got the best player in the deal - Patrick Patterson

And my question is still legit.

Anyway looks the Maloofs wanted to save a little money.

Sucks for Kings fans though. I thought they may have had a good chance at a trade for an injured Rondo with a Reke, T-Rob (with his recent top 5 pick value, although look what it got them now lol) & fillers trade.
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#56 » by N.O.R.E. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:02 am

Obviously great trade for the Rockets.

Sure it's short-sighted for the Kings, however, 1st rounders generally go for the $3 or so million the Kings/Maloofs save here. Are you telling me Thomas Robinson is worth that much more than Patterson and the value of a mid 20's 1st?
There aren't that many teams desperate to have Robinson as a long-term starter.

I'm not defending the trade, it was purely a business decision. I wouldn't be so quick to judge Petrie though, I think he manages the position he is put in extremely well. He has always drafted the most talented player or biggish name, why do you think that is?
The Kings have been in cost-cutting mode a long time now.

If Patterson is actually good friends with Cousins this could turn a business/money decision into a good move. We've all seen stranger things happen - the Grizz dumping Pau, Marc Gasol turning into a stud and picking up Z-Bo with the money saved. Obviously completely different deals/scenarios, but you get the drift, you can't judge a trade's impact immediately.
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#57 » by darkangle901 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:16 am

I don't think the Rockets gave $3 million. I think they gave $1 million. That's more in the late 2nd rounder range.
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#58 » by N.O.R.E. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 am

I thought they saved some money in the deal as well...
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#59 » by branny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:37 am

Good trade for the Rockets. Just surprised Kings didn't get a better offer..
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#60 » by RoyalWun » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Maybe Portland can steal Evans from Sacto next.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#61 » by franktony » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Honestly the big mistake was not trading T-Rob. I don't even think he is better than Patterson tbh. The huge mistake was drafting T-Rob instead of Drummond, Barnes or Lillard. T-Rob is basically a poor's man Hickson.

The Kings organization screwed up big time in the past 2 drafts.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#62 » by x- » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm

HAHAHAHAHHAHHA!

:wizard:

(Sorry Kings fans.)
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#63 » by RoyalWun » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:16 pm

franktony wrote:Honestly the big mistake was not trading T-Rob. I don't even think he is better than Patterson tbh. The huge mistake was drafting T-Rob instead of Drummond, Barnes or Lillard. T-Rob is basically a poor's man Hickson.

But the argument people are making is that he's only in his rookie season and BARELY gotten a chance to play. Everyone knows the more opportunity you get = the faster you improve.

He's only gotten more than 25 minutes 6 times in the whole year so far. And 4/6 of those games he's scored over 10 points. I know that may not be breathtaking stats, but he's shown to be able to produce if given the opportunity. The same opportunity he has not received.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#64 » by franktony » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:44 pm

RoyalWun wrote:
franktony wrote:Honestly the big mistake was not trading T-Rob. I don't even think he is better than Patterson tbh. The huge mistake was drafting T-Rob instead of Drummond, Barnes or Lillard. T-Rob is basically a poor's man Hickson.

But the argument people are making is that he's only in his rookie season and BARELY gotten a chance to play. Everyone knows the more opportunity you get = the faster you improve.

He's only gotten more than 25 minutes 6 times in the whole year so far. And 4/6 of those games he's scored over 10 points. I know that may not be breathtaking stats, but he's shown to be able to produce if given the opportunity. The same opportunity he has not received.

I don't disagree with you that the Kings organization is a mess. Look at what happened with JJ Hickson. They traded Omri and a 1st round pick for him just to waive him in a few months. The same Hickson is producing good numbers in Portland.
People are overreacting because T-Rob was a top 5 pick in the past draft, not because of his ceiling or skills.

I could be wrong, but I don't see anything special in Robinson. Never did. His absolutely ceiling is Hickson. To me, Houston has better prospects to develop at the position. Moutie, for example, has a much higher ceiling than T-Rob.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,730

Post#65 » by gswhoops » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Morey strikes again.

T-Rob may not have lit it up so far but he hasn't really had an opportunity either. There's a reason he was the #5 overall pick (and in discussions to go as high as #2 IIRC). Can't believe the Kings are willing to give up on him so early but their loss is the Rockets' gain. Lin/Harden/Parsons/Robinson/Asik is a great lineup IMO.

Return to Trades and Transactions