Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about

Moderators: Chuck Texas, jazzfan1971, Trader_Joe, bondom34, loserX, moocow007, Smitty731, HartfordWhalers

kamazilla
Senior
Posts: 567
And1: 7
Joined: Apr 10, 2009

Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#1 » by kamazilla » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:33 am

To LA: Pierce, KG

To Boston: Howard, MWP

I check in frequently to the trade board, and if this has been posted it's been awhile. Seems to me like the rare big trade which makes sense for both teams.

LA goes all geriatric in last ditch effort to solidify their title chances in Kupchak's "two year window" while at the same time unloading the clown brigade, which just isn't gelling in lala land. Defense doesn't suffer much with KG coming to town and the offense is improved drastically with players who use their highly developed skills with great intelligence and unselfishness. You know Kobe's gonna love KG's intensity and Pierce's savvy. After two years, blow it up and start fresh. It's LA, they will acquire players.

Boston is not going far for the next couple of years with the Garnett and Pierce contracts constricting personnel options. A Howard/ Rondo duo is a great place to start building, and they already have some good young complimentary players. Their defense would be ridiculous, and cause problems for everybody they face. For next few years, if you're going to beat Miami in the east, it's gotta be with defense.

KG and Pierce should see this move as their last best chance to compete for a title, while Dwight should be happy to re-sign in Boston. Rivers as coach and Rondo as PG getting Howard his touches in the post? All day, Baby... Just nab some shooters, say Reddick, in the offseason, and the Green is golden.
User avatar
-Kees-
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,156
And1: 51
Joined: Jan 16, 2011
   

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#2 » by -Kees- » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:40 am

I think LA easily passes. The 2 year plan is to be able to go after a big name in 2014 with Dwight bringing them in. I doubt they would trade them for 2 guys 35+, even if it does make them a better team this year.
User avatar
qclakers
Rookie
Posts: 1,150
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 26, 2009
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#3 » by qclakers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:45 am

I posted something generally along these lines and got a mixed reaction. I think it would be a great move for both teams. Although I think LA could include other salary filler than MWP. I think this creates a clear plan for both squads. Looking at the next 5 years for Boston and LA going full bore for the Lakers for the next 2 years after this one. These deals dont happen that doesn't mean they shouldn't. These are 2 franshises that have always been willing to go bold and mediocrity is not good enough. The only catch might be that Boston could be the worst free throw shooting team in history! La would be able to hopefully send 5 hall of famers of to their retirement homes with a couple more rings and reload with full cap room.
frozt
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,549
And1: 747
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
Location: God's green earth.
       

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#4 » by frozt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 am

Could you imagine

Nash
Kobe
Pierce
Pau
KG

Making a run for the title? Lol... Clark, Hill, Jamison, Meeks off the bench...They'd be pretty set up two make a solid two year run and then all expire right?
Resident band wagon vigilante.
branny
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,810
And1: 27
Joined: Jun 01, 2012

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#5 » by branny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 am

Would KG waive his NTC for LA?
User avatar
RoyalWun
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,327
And1: 209
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: NY, New York
     

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#6 » by RoyalWun » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 pm

branny wrote:Would KG waive his NTC for LA?


He wouldn't waive it for the Clippers who are actually a better team so I see zero reason he'd waive it for the Lakers who are fighting for an 8th seed.
Portland:

D. Lillard | S. Blake
W. Matthews | A. Afflalo | A. Crabbe | C. McCollum
N. Batum | D. Wright | A. Gee
L. Aldridge | M. Leonard
R. Lopez | C. Kaman | J. Freeland
PetroNet
Banned User
Posts: 6,461
And1: 133
Joined: Feb 27, 2012

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#7 » by PetroNet » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm

kamazilla wrote:To LA: Pierce, KG

To Boston: Howard, MWP

I check in frequently to the trade board, and if this has been posted it's been awhile. Seems to me like the rare big trade which makes sense for both teams.

LA goes all geriatric in last ditch effort to solidify their title chances in Kupchak's "two year window" while at the same time unloading the clown brigade, which just isn't gelling in lala land. Defense doesn't suffer much with KG coming to town and the offense is improved drastically with players who use their highly developed skills with great intelligence and unselfishness. You know Kobe's gonna love KG's intensity and Pierce's savvy. After two years, blow it up and start fresh. It's LA, they will acquire players.

Boston is not going far for the next couple of years with the Garnett and Pierce contracts constricting personnel options. A Howard/ Rondo duo is a great place to start building, and they already have some good young complimentary players. Their defense would be ridiculous, and cause problems for everybody they face. For next few years, if you're going to beat Miami in the east, it's gotta be with defense.

KG and Pierce should see this move as their last best chance to compete for a title, while Dwight should be happy to re-sign in Boston. Rivers as coach and Rondo as PG getting Howard his touches in the post? All day, Baby... Just nab some shooters, say Reddick, in the offseason, and the Green is golden.


so LA gets older and less talented... is billy king the GM of the lakers? if not that deal is laughable
Wasabi_Johnson
Starter
Posts: 2,183
And1: 261
Joined: Jan 07, 2012

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#8 » by Wasabi_Johnson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Could only imagine how bad LA defense becomes after trading their two best defenders.
pipfan
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,769
And1: 164
Joined: Aug 07, 2010

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#9 » by pipfan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:37 pm

I posted this same trade a few weeks back. I love it for both. Lakers sneak into the playoffs and go for it. KG and PP are very good on D. If Gasol were healthy, this would work well in May. All pros, all wanting to win.

Boston goes for it with Rondo and Howard- a great base if both are healthy. Plus, they do their legend and KG right by sending them to a contender. Finally, KG lives in LA and Pierce is from there. KG might have waived his clause to go WITH PP?
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 39,059
And1: 1,070
Joined: Aug 23, 2002

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#10 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:00 pm

That is an awful lot for Boston to give up unless they know they can retain Howard.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
User avatar
john2jer
RealGM
Posts: 14,623
And1: 27
Joined: May 26, 2006
Location: State Of Total Awesomeness

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#11 » by john2jer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:50 pm

You'd almost have to get a guarantee that Howard resigns in Boston, he can't sign an extension right now, correct?

And I think Boston would have to add in some kind of future incentive, like a lottery protected 1st or one of their young prospects, like Fab. I think that cures some of the concerns both franchises would have.

Oh and fire D'Antoni.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Wasabi_Johnson
Starter
Posts: 2,183
And1: 261
Joined: Jan 07, 2012

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#12 » by Wasabi_Johnson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:53 pm

john2jer wrote:Oh and fire D'Antoni.

+1
User avatar
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
Posts: 26,989
And1: 2,302
Joined: Oct 09, 2005

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#13 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 am

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:Could only imagine how bad LA defense becomes after trading their two best defenders.


probably improve quite a bit. Boston is ranked 10 spots higher in defensive efficiency than LA and it's safe to assume it's not Brandon Bass and Jason Terry leading the way.
Image
Wasabi_Johnson
Starter
Posts: 2,183
And1: 261
Joined: Jan 07, 2012

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#14 » by Wasabi_Johnson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:58 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Wasabi_Johnson wrote:Could only imagine how bad LA defense becomes after trading their two best defenders.


probably improve quite a bit. Boston is ranked 10 spots higher in defensive efficiency than LA and it's safe to assume it's not Brandon Bass and Jason Terry leading the way.

One team has Doc Rivers, the other team has Pringles. You trade two players for worse defenders at their perceptive position the team defense is going to get worse.
User avatar
ATF
Junior
Posts: 428
And1: 40
Joined: Dec 17, 2012
Location: In the cut
     

Re: Celtics–Lakers. Obvious blockbuster no one talks about 

Post#15 » by ATF » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:13 am

No ones talked about it because it's beyond ridiculous. You couldn't even pull this off in NBA 2K13.
Suns.

Return to Trades and Transactions


Users browsing this forum: Laimbeer, loserX