Biggest Surprise Not traded?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,479

Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Who was it?

Josh Smith?
Bargs?
Mozgov?
Wilson Chandler?
Monta Ellis?
Philly expirers -- Wright and Young
Sac other rookie players -- Evans and Cousins
Dwight Howard?

If we get a bunch of other names I will add a poll. Me, I'm leaning Mozgov. And Wes Johnson from Phoenix as salary filler for anything.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#2 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 pm

I would say Smith. They essentially letting him walk for nothing since they say they won't pay him the max. Really didn't expect anybody else to be move who was listed unless they was traded as part of a Josh Smith deal.
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#3 » by WizardsWorld » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Smith obviously. Everyone already wished him goodbye last night after the game.... and today they'll be welcoming him back.... LOL
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#4 » by Cliff Levingston » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Smith for sure. If Atlanta really is interested in letting him walk, couldn't they have at least got a future 1st and some salary filler for him? Not much, sure, but something.
teke184
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,391

Post#5 » by teke184 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Smith is an easy choice.

Atlanta wanted too much and blew whatever chances they had of getting something for him.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#6 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:52 pm

I thought for sure Smith was heading to the Bucks... or Rockets... or Suns... or Nets... or Washington ... or...
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,219

Post#7 » by vege » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:55 pm

I would add Will Bynum to that list.

Josh Smith not being traded was a huge shock what is Atlanta thinking.
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#8 » by parson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Hawks wanted a good Center or ... well, that's it. Nothing else y'all were willing to offer mattered. We told BKN we wanted Lopez; we told MIL we wanted Sanders; we told HOU we wanted Asik.

Why is everyone surprised? Haven't we been saying this for years? A Center is all that makes sense for us in a Josh Smith trade -- or draft picks that can be turned into a Center.

It'd be better for us to wait until the offseason and use Smith to try for Dwight Howard, or overpay for Pekovic or Jefferson, or SNT Smith to HOU for Asik and Parsons to help them get Howard than it would be for us to settle on what y'all thought was "reasonable." ATL has a premiere talent in Josh Smith, is first in line to re-sign him and is sitting on enough cash to sign 2 max FAs, even if Smith walks. I fail to see the reason for the consternation.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#9 » by [RCG] » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Any player on an expiring deal not likely to be brought back or RFA who won't be matched.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,013

Post#10 » by shrink » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:28 pm

Smith.

I'm a bit surprised we didn't see Milsap go somewhere too.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#11 » by darkangle901 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:39 pm

Rip Hamilton
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#12 » by Lindecision » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:40 pm

has to be Millsap for me, he's a better player than Josh

does anyone know when Redick is elligable for the Bucks?
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Post#13 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:44 pm

I think people were dooped by all the talk surrounding Smith. It was pretty clear the Hawks were never going to get the value they wanted for him.

The Jazz not making a move is more surprising imo. They're going to end up losing Millsap and Jefferson for nothing this summer, just so they can get a 6th seed and be swept in the 1st round. The way they've "rebuilt" since trading Williams has been pretty asinine if you ask me.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#14 » by Sun Scorched » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:50 pm

I don't understand the whole "Hawks weren't getting the value they wanted" nonsense.

Yeah, they aren't going to get Gortat + Dudley + 1st for him, but they could have gotten Gortat... Which is better than nothing.

What are they hoping for now? A S&T?
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#15 » by deanwoof » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:52 pm

smith, milsap, jefferson first. then jameer nelson or al harrington NOT being packaged with redick. spurs not tinkering. and josh smith again.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#16 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Sun Scorched wrote:I don't understand the whole "Hawks weren't getting the value they wanted" nonsense.

How exactly is it "nonsense"? If they would have gotten the value they wanted for him, Smith wouldn't still be in Atlanta right now. He is, so obviously no one offered Atlanta they value they wanted to pull the trigger on a deal. Pretty basic logic here.......
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#17 » by Guy986 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Utah didn't move any of their bigs??
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#18 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Guy986 wrote:Utah didn't move any of their bigs??

they didn't move anything.
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#19 » by Lindecision » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I think people were dooped by all the talk surrounding Smith. It was pretty clear the Hawks were never going to get the value they wanted for him.

perhaps Atlanta can get value (and the C they want) in a S&T for Asik + filler... could that be their line of thinking?

this does depend on Houston signing Dwight as a free agent though, Josh would then be willing to sign for less money

then by dealing Asik's salary Houston would have enough cap room to keep Parsons long term, actually i'm only presuming they have enough cap room
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#20 » by theatlfan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Sun Scorched wrote:I don't understand the whole "Hawks weren't getting the value they wanted" nonsense.

Yeah, they aren't going to get Gortat + Dudley + 1st for him, but they could have gotten Gortat... Which is better than nothing.

What are they hoping for now? A S&T?
Nonsense is what you suggest though. In the NBA, it's better to be dreadful than mediocre, and one sure way to be mediocre is to trade better talent for less simply in the name of getting something. Do you honestly believe that CLE would have been better off today than if they had traded LeBron for a mid-tier starting C a few years ago?

Honestly, I've always figured this one would go to FA. I think our hope would be that we'd re-sign him to a reasonable deal once he sees the market, then SNT him. Failing those options, I'm not really sure what the next stage would be though. With the CBA the way it is, you can't really go on a full scale rebuilding effort since you have to carry a minimum salary or run into the same issues with those at the LT threshold. Should be interesting to see where this goes if this route is taken.

Return to Trades and Transactions