Biggest Surprise Not traded?

Moderators: Chuck Texas, Smitty731, moocow007, loserX, Trader_Joe, bondom34, jazzfan1971, HartfordWhalers

User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 17,034
And1: 2,078
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
     

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#16 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Sun Scorched wrote:I don't understand the whole "Hawks weren't getting the value they wanted" nonsense.


How exactly is it "nonsense"? If they would have gotten the value they wanted for him, Smith wouldn't still be in Atlanta right now. He is, so obviously no one offered Atlanta they value they wanted to pull the trigger on a deal. Pretty basic logic here.......
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Guy986
RealGM
Posts: 17,756
And1: 627
Joined: Oct 09, 2005
Location: BBG Nation unite!

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#17 » by Guy986 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Utah didn't move any of their bigs??
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 17,034
And1: 2,078
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
     

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#18 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Guy986 wrote:Utah didn't move any of their bigs??


they didn't move anything.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
User avatar
Lindecision
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,281
And1: 143
Joined: Jul 20, 2012
     

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#19 » by Lindecision » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I think people were dooped by all the talk surrounding Smith. It was pretty clear the Hawks were never going to get the value they wanted for him.


perhaps Atlanta can get value (and the C they want) in a S&T for Asik + filler... could that be their line of thinking?

this does depend on Houston signing Dwight as a free agent though, Josh would then be willing to sign for less money

then by dealing Asik's salary Houston would have enough cap room to keep Parsons long term, actually i'm only presuming they have enough cap room
User avatar
theatlfan
Analyst
Posts: 3,221
And1: 186
Joined: Dec 22, 2008
Location: Where I at
   

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#20 » by theatlfan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Sun Scorched wrote:I don't understand the whole "Hawks weren't getting the value they wanted" nonsense.

Yeah, they aren't going to get Gortat + Dudley + 1st for him, but they could have gotten Gortat... Which is better than nothing.

What are they hoping for now? A S&T?
Nonsense is what you suggest though. In the NBA, it's better to be dreadful than mediocre, and one sure way to be mediocre is to trade better talent for less simply in the name of getting something. Do you honestly believe that CLE would have been better off today than if they had traded LeBron for a mid-tier starting C a few years ago?

Honestly, I've always figured this one would go to FA. I think our hope would be that we'd re-sign him to a reasonable deal once he sees the market, then SNT him. Failing those options, I'm not really sure what the next stage would be though. With the CBA the way it is, you can't really go on a full scale rebuilding effort since you have to carry a minimum salary or run into the same issues with those at the LT threshold. Should be interesting to see where this goes if this route is taken.
Image
User avatar
Mr. E
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
Posts: 11,477
And1: 1,386
Joined: Apr 15, 2006
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!
       

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#21 » by Mr. E » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:04 am

Guy986 wrote:Utah didn't move any of their bigs??


That's the biggest surprise for me. I thought that they would have moved one.
User avatar
theatlfan
Analyst
Posts: 3,221
And1: 186
Joined: Dec 22, 2008
Location: Where I at
   

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#22 » by theatlfan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 am

My biggest surprise was Mozgov not being traded. He's buried in DEN and I would have thought that there would have been a team willing to give up a useful part for a trial run on him.
Image
Ruckusmh
Junior
Posts: 444
And1: 152
Joined: Jun 08, 2011

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#23 » by Ruckusmh » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 am

I'm a huge Jazz fan, but the fact that we have essentially the same pieces right now as we did the moment we traded Deron is atrocious. I don't understand the FO's obsession with becoming a treadmill team.
bryanoid
Pro Prospect
Posts: 980
And1: 222
Joined: Jun 21, 2010
 

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#24 » by bryanoid » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 am

Monta **** Ellis
:banghead:
giberish
Head Coach
Posts: 7,315
And1: 637
Joined: Mar 30, 2006
Location: Whereever you go - there you are

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#25 » by giberish » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 am

One of Milsap/Jefferson seemed certain to be dealt.

Josh Smith was more likely than either one individually.
User avatar
jazzfan1971
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 32,587
And1: 1,134
Joined: Jul 16, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#26 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:37 am

I totally expected Utah to keep Millsap and Jefferson. By my way of thinking both or either will have more value come summer when the Jazz can ship them out not as rentals but as players in a sign and trade.

I think the Jazz probably saw it that way as well.

Personally, I was surprised Boston didn't move one or both of KG or Pierce. Or even Rondo. Seems like the iron was hot on that one but they chose not to strike. When Boston gets run out in the first round I think Boston fans will look back on this as a missed opportunity. (no offense, Jazz are probably getting swept in the 1st round again)
Guy986
RealGM
Posts: 17,756
And1: 627
Joined: Oct 09, 2005
Location: BBG Nation unite!

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#27 » by Guy986 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:42 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:I totally expected Utah to keep Millsap and Jefferson. By my way of thinking both or either will have more value come summer when the Jazz can ship them out not as rentals but as players in a sign and trade.

I think the Jazz probably saw it that way as well.

Personally, I was surprised Boston didn't move one or both of KG or Pierce. Or even Rondo. Seems like the iron was hot on that one but they chose not to strike. When Boston gets run out in the first round I think Boston fans will look back on this as a missed opportunity. (no offense, Jazz are probably getting swept in the 1st round again)


How will the Jazz get ANYTHING of value for a guy like Paul Milsap when there are 8+ teams in the league with 10 million or more in capspace.

Jazz will either match a 10 million a year contract for millsap or lose him. Theres no S&T. I think they just lost themselves an asset.
Ruckusmh
Junior
Posts: 444
And1: 152
Joined: Jun 08, 2011

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#28 » by Ruckusmh » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:08 am

Guy986 wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:I totally expected Utah to keep Millsap and Jefferson. By my way of thinking both or either will have more value come summer when the Jazz can ship them out not as rentals but as players in a sign and trade.

I think the Jazz probably saw it that way as well.

Personally, I was surprised Boston didn't move one or both of KG or Pierce. Or even Rondo. Seems like the iron was hot on that one but they chose not to strike. When Boston gets run out in the first round I think Boston fans will look back on this as a missed opportunity. (no offense, Jazz are probably getting swept in the 1st round again)


How will the Jazz get ANYTHING of value for a guy like Paul Milsap when there are 8+ teams in the league with 10 million or more in capspace.

Jazz will either match a 10 million a year contract for millsap or lose him. Theres no S&T. I think they just lost themselves an asset.


+1
loserX
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 29,724
And1: 4,272
Joined: Jun 29, 2006
       

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#29 » by loserX » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 am

Jazz fan here: not surprised at all. We wanted a young PG and obviously couldn't get one. We are a fringe playoff team, and trading a starter for crap probably puts us back in the weak part of the lottery.

So if all we were being was offered in return were picks in the 20s, it's not worth it. Playoff games are worth more than that.

The surprise to me is Rip. Chicago is paying a lot of money to keep him this year.
User avatar
franktony
Veteran
Posts: 2,804
And1: 616
Joined: Jul 16, 2010
         

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#30 » by franktony » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:32 am

I was surprised that we didn't move Dejuan Blair, but SAS asking price was probably too high.

Cannot complain. I'd rather keep him around as an injury insurance than trading him for a crap 2nd round pick.

I was way more surprised with SA's interest in Redick. To me it didn't make any sense.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Lord_Zedd
Analyst
Posts: 3,282
And1: 1,689
Joined: Feb 21, 2004

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#31 » by Lord_Zedd » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:38 am

Some of my biggest surprises:

- Chicago not making any moves for luxury tax purposes. Guess there's a first time for everything
- Josh Smith standing pat
- Mozgov staying
- Dejuan Blair staying

Some of my biggest no surprises were Utah standing pat and Toronto sticking with Bargnani. Utah can at least sign and trade with both their bigs and as for Bargnani, let's be honest here. Nobody in this trade board likes hearing that B word. Regardless, not surprising Bargnani has zero value outside of BC's bedroom
Image

Credit Turbo_Zone
CBA
Pro Prospect
Posts: 941
And1: 242
Joined: Jul 01, 2011

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#32 » by CBA » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:55 am

Atlanta won't get anything of value for Josh Smith in the summer. Hawks fans should go ahead and deal with that right now.
The Rebel
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 15,328
And1: 1,275
Joined: Mar 05, 2005

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#33 » by The Rebel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:06 am

theatlfan wrote:My biggest surprise was Mozgov not being traded. He's buried in DEN and I would have thought that there would have been a team willing to give up a useful part for a trial run on him.


Nuggets would have been left with a problem of only having 2 guys who have the size to play center if they would have traded Mozgov, plus with the run they went on prior to the all star break, the Nuggets did not seem all that inclined to make a deal. People do not realize there is exactly one guy left on the team since prior to the Melo deal just 2 years ago.
The Rebel
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 15,328
And1: 1,275
Joined: Mar 05, 2005

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#34 » by The Rebel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:11 am

Personally my biggest surprise was not seeing the Hawks trade Smith, the rumors were out there that he was gone to the best offer regardless of what the final package for at least a week.
AdonisDeMarion
Rookie
Posts: 1,043
And1: 65
Joined: Jun 22, 2012

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#35 » by AdonisDeMarion » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:07 am

deanwoof wrote:smith, milsap, jefferson first. then jameer nelson or al harrington NOT being packaged with redick. spurs not tinkering. and josh smith again.




:lol: too funny, but real talk Smith, Milsap or Jefferson all staying put...oh well

Nelson or Harrington being packaged with JJ would've been great to do, but the Magic front office sucks anyway

Return to Trades and Transactions