Most interesting offseasons (upcoming)?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Most interesting offseasons (upcoming)? 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:10 am

Who will have the most interesting offseason to you coming up?
And why?

For me right now its:
1) detroit -- the Monroe Smith Drummond debate with Monroe at rfa the most interestig rfa? and a pick at 8; with a new gm maybe? Really gambling on a Monroe or Smith trade, otherwise this should be outside the top 10. But I think its the most likely in a way,
2) sac -- new owners that have maxed Cousins then traded for Gay? how is this not 1st?
3) Cleveland -- new gm, Deng and Hawes as ufa's. Mandate to make the playoffs last year. The weird Hopsin signing. Probably underrated but I'm pessimistic of something happening.
4) Lakers -- oh the questions. se it now or save it for cap space.
5) Philly -- 30m of cap space and a massive personal bias.

Honorable mention: Toronto -- Lowry and I expect the new gm to keep moving stuff; Minnesota (love), and Utah -- hayward I assume resigns and hey draft best player available but it could get fascinating.

Totally ignored -- Mia (big 3), NYK (Melo)

So, who is your top 5 you ae looking forward to?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Most interesting offseasons (upcoming)? 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:21 am

No real order, and won't include OKC:

Detroit: Same reasons as listed
Phoenix: Have a ton of cap space and picks to spare, they gotta do something right?
Boston: Bunch of picks and seem to be ready to do something....right?
Minnesota: Can we stop the Love trade threads?
Cavs: Same as above

I'd also add in the Mavs, do they find a group to mix w/ Dirk for another run?
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#3 » by loserX » Sat Apr 5, 2014 8:33 am

Definitely Phoenix. I don't seem them keeping all the picks they have in stock, so whether it's cashing in for a player or moving up or SOMETHING, I expect them to be active at the draft. (As well as free agency, as they'll have some significant cap even after re-signing Bledsoe.)

Boston too. Lots of youth and picks to deal with, but don't have the free agency opportunities that Phoenix does, so they fall to second. Trades may come as they drop salary, though.

Cleveland. Totally in flux; which direction are they going to go? Vets or kids? New management could mean anything.

Lakers. Top 5 pick, loads of cap, and three players on the books. And lots of pride to salvage.

New Orleans too. Anthony Davis is making the leap, but the roster around him Is off-balance. How will they fix it in order to make him the best superstar he can be?

Honourable mention: Detroit, but didn't want to pick the same as everyone else :wink: Also Utah for the homerism, and Chicago. How will the Boozer situation play out? This team could do a lot, or almost nothing. I'm curious to see.
HartfordWhalers

Post#4 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 5, 2014 1:24 pm

Hmm, I totally skipped Phx and you guys are making me rethink that.

In my head they resigned Bledsoe, resigned Tucker, sign a random MLE player and draft best players at 2 of 3 slots. However, they have the potential to have a blockbuster of an offseason, or shake up the draft big time.

And I'm not sure why I'm assuming they go boring as possible (Gortat trade, Bledsoe trade, trading up slightly for Godwin), and even n boring there will be the possibility of a Granger career restart. Kick Philly off my list.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:26 pm

They won't be most interesting, but Indiana could easily be more interesting than any would have predicted at the start of the season. If the Pacers flame out in the playoffs then Bird will likely want to make some big changes. At the least the Lance/Turner situation will be interesting.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,687

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:23 pm

Phoenix tops the list for me.
Indy interests me tho it may turn out extremely boring
OKC -- I think they fall short of hte Finals again and I think Presti has to re-think his whole approach if that happens
Houston -- I think Morey makes his big move this summer and doesnt wait on Asik/Lin to expire
Cleveland -- Blow it Up.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,528

Post#7 » by HornetJail » Sat Apr 5, 2014 5:14 pm

Phoenix (all the young pieces), Houston (Morey), Charlotte (lots of assets, holes at 2 and/or 4), and Miami (big 3) could potentially have huge offseasons
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#8 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:20 pm

Suns - as said they have a lot of cap space, a lot of picks and a lot of pieces to work with.

Celtics - another team ready to make some major moves and a GM with a track record of making them.

Lakers - this summer and next will be very interesting.

Cavs - a lot of decisions to make after a very disappointing season

And of course Brooklyn - their my team. But a lot of FA and questions
Does KG retire?
Does AK pick up his PO?
Do they try to resign PP?
Is Lopez able to come back as good or better and on target?
S.Livingston - a FA who was arguably their MVP this season. is the mMLE enough to keep him?
Does Bogdanovic come over? If he's ready will they have the mMLE to give to him?
Does D.Will finally have off-season surgery on his ankles?
Alan Anderson - a FA but a key bench defender
Blatche - has a PO, but he likely becomes a FA. Do they resign him to long term money?
Collins is a FA
Teletovic and Thornton only have 1 year left, are they moved?
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#9 » by Mattya » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:32 pm

My Wolves have to be up there. The Wolves need to figure out what Love wants to do. Based off of that they either retool around Love or rebuild/retool without him. If they keep Love they need to decide if Pek is the right fit, and if he is they need to use their expirings and picks to try to upgrade the wings, cuz Martin and Brewer aren't cutting it. Then add in the coaching decision.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:39 pm

Mattya wrote:My Wolves have to be up there. The Wolves need to figure out what Love wants to do. Based off of that they either retool around Love or rebuild/retool without him. If they keep Love they need to decide if Pek is the right fit, and if he is they need to use their expirings and picks to try to upgrade the wings, cuz Martin and Brewer aren't cutting it. Then add in the coaching decision.

I was going to list them, but I have a feeling if they do move Love it would be closer to the deadline and I'm not sure I see them making major moves prior to them. Just the usual stuff.. draft pick, some minimum signings, maybe a trade...
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mattya » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:44 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Mattya wrote:My Wolves have to be up there. The Wolves need to figure out what Love wants to do. Based off of that they either retool around Love or rebuild/retool without him. If they keep Love they need to decide if Pek is the right fit, and if he is they need to use their expirings and picks to try to upgrade the wings, cuz Martin and Brewer aren't cutting it. Then add in the coaching decision.

I was going to list them, but I have a feeling if they do move Love it would be closer to the deadline.

You could be right. Even then, like I said, they still have to make a decision on head coach, the fit of Pekovic, their own draft pick(if they keep it), and Barea, LRMAM, and Shved all expiring after next year. Lots of potential for trades which they need to make to bring in an impact player into the starting lineup and find a legit back up point guard.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#12 » by C.lupus » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:49 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:

I was going to list them, but I have a feeling if they do move Love it would be closer to the deadline and I'm not sure I see them making major moves prior to them. Just the usual stuff.. draft pick, some minimum signings, maybe a trade...

New coach
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:50 pm

Mattya wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

I was going to list them, but I have a feeling if they do move Love it would be closer to the deadline.

You could be right. Even then, like I said, they still have to make a decision on head coach, the fit of Pekovic, their own draft pick(if they keep it), and Barea, LRMAM, and Shved all expiring after next year. Lots of potential for trades which they need to make to bring in an impact player into the starting lineup and find a legit back up point guard.

I think their most important decisions will occur once they decide what they are doing with Love and probably not this summer. Also, their expirings will have the most value at the deadline.

I can see -

Draft pick
Coach
Back up PG
Minimum signings

During the summer, and most of those are moves most everyone makes every year.
About 1/4 of the league seemingly changes coaches, and last summer what the summer of the coach. Also it's sounding like Adelman retires and Hoiberg is hired.

I think -

Love
Pekovic
Moving Expirings

Done during the season and the more interesting decisions.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mattya » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:06 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:I was going to list them, but I have a feeling if they do move Love it would be closer to the deadline.

I think their most important decisions will occur once they decide what they are doing with Love and probably not this summer. Also, their expirings will have the most value at the deadline.

I can see -

Draft pick
Coach
Back up PG
Minimum signings

During the summer, and most of those are moves most everyone makes every year.
About 1/4 of the league seemingly changes coaches, and last summer what the summer of the coach. Also it's sounding like Adelman retires and Hoiberg is hired.

I think -

Love
Pekovic
Moving Expirings

Done during the season and the more interesting decisions.

I think they are much too desperate to improve that bench and try to appease Love to not improve their bench more than that.
HartfordWhalers

Post#15 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:51 pm

Minnesota is definitely a wild card. I probably docked them too far just because I don't see the Love clamor until December.
CBA
Bench Warmer
And1: 378

Post#16 » by CBA » Sat Apr 5, 2014 8:07 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Minnesota is definitely a wild card. I probably docked them too far just because I don't see the Love clamor until December.

Like Mattya alluded to, if the Wolves aren't moving Love during the summer they'll be looking to move their assets for help around Love to convince him to stay.

I think that has to be one of the most interesting storylines one way or the other.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Apr 5, 2014 8:30 pm

CBA wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Minnesota is definitely a wild card. I probably docked them too far just because I don't see the Love clamor until December.

Like Mattya alluded to, if the Wolves aren't moving Love during the summer they'll be looking to move their assets for help around Love to convince him to stay.

I think that has to be one of the most interesting storylines one way or the other.

They've had six years to convince Love to stay, not sure what difference some changes to the bench will really do to change that, which is what Mattya alluded to...bench upgrades. They need some rather significant changes IMO..because a. Just making the playoffs probably isn't enough (HC/2nd round or better is probably what Love thinks he could do in the East right away) and b. Making the playoffs is far from a given with how insanely deep the West is. Right now only Utah looks like a given to be in the lotto. They have 9 teams ahead of them not to mention teams like Denver, NOP, Sacramento and LAL behind them who all hope to be playoff teams next year. I really don't think some bench tweaking gets the job done.

They did not make any moves at the deadline this year despite their bench being problematic and being outside of the playoffs with a chance to get back in. So it might not be that easy to make these bench upgrades in trade. They have a draft pick and the MLE in free agency, one of which will almost assuredly be used on a PG (hopefully not Livingston).

Personally, I think it would be unwise to make decisions this summer based around convincing an unrestricted FA to stay. I think you build around Rubio given his age, contract and skill set. Then Pekovic since he is signed 4 more years and has deficiencies that need to be addressed.

I only make moves around Love if they are certain he will stay as the changes they need to make to make the playoffs and build around Love properly might be drastic and include moving Pekovic and perhaps Rubio.
CBA
Bench Warmer
And1: 378

Post#18 » by CBA » Sat Apr 5, 2014 8:58 pm

They should have traded Love at the deadline, but judging from reports they seem hellbent on convincing him to stay. They'll have draft picks, Dieng, Rubio and Pekovic as assets to move so we'll see how much they're willing to sacrifice with the chance Love will leave anyway. That risk/reward factor they'll have to balance will be the most interesting story for me.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,687

Post#19 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 5, 2014 9:00 pm

Minny has tough decisions to be sure, but Im so tired of Kevin Love talk already that its not really all that interesting.

Just like my Mavs have a big off-season for the franchise coming up, but I can't imagine its very interesting to non-Mav fans. Going to not land one of the biggest FAs, will settle for 2nd tier guys, yawn.....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mattya » Sat Apr 5, 2014 10:24 pm

They've had six years to convince Love to stay, not sure what difference some changes to the bench will really do to change that, which is what Mattya alluded to...bench upgrades.

I think you maybe be understating how much our bench has been this year. I think the playoffs could be enough to convince Love to stay, even if its just first round. Love's displeasure is overstated.

Return to Trades and Transactions