DET/NYK/CHI

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,051

DET/NYK/CHI 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Mon Apr 7, 2014 4:41 pm

BULLS get Pistons' 8th pick, JR Smith, Luigi Datome

KNICKS get Brandon Jennings, Carlos Boozer expiring

PISTONS get 2 1st round picks from Chicago 16 & 19, Iman Shumpert, Andrea Barnagni (expiring)

Why for Bulls? Move up in draft and hope JR can rediscover instant offense off the bench

Why for Knicks? Swapping JR for Jennings, insurance for point guard issues

Why for Pistons? Young perimeter player in Shump, multiple choices
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Re: DET/NYK/CHI 

Post#2 » by skflives » Mon Apr 7, 2014 8:58 pm

I like it for the Knicks.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#3 » by dVs33 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:07 pm

I couldn't see Thibs being happy with this for CHI. JR Smith is the exact opposite type of player Thibs likes.
Value wise it looks ok though.
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#4 » by melo mvp 15 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 10:01 pm

EWWWWW.

Contrary to popular belief, JR doesn't have a bad contract. 2 years, $12 mil for a top 6th man is a bargain. Yes the Knicks might try to dump him, but that's only because the Knicks specifically want 2015 capspace and have 2 viable replacements.

The Knicks actually LOSE cap flexibility in this deal while also losing Shumpert (and I realize we might lose Shumpert as a FA in 2015). Jennings is no doubt a worse contract to JR in my mind. Sure he fills a position of need... but he's an awful fit and makes more money. Even if you take out Shumpert and add Felton, it's probably still a no because I don't think Boozer helps much next year and Jennings isn't a piece you really want making $9 mil when you're looking for cap space.
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#5 » by WesleyExChiFan » Mon Apr 7, 2014 10:08 pm

It's not bad vaulue wise, really not bad at all. they'd give JR the Andrew Bynum treatment though and ship him to the first team to pick up the phone. Also, it was reported by Craig Sager that Boozer isn't going anywhere in a trade except for a superstar.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,469

Post#6 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 7, 2014 10:26 pm

melo mvp 15 wrote:EWWWWW.
but he's an awful fit and makes more money. Even if you take out Shumpert and add Felton, it's probably still a no because I don't think Boozer helps much next year and Jennings isn't a piece you really want making $9 mil when you're looking for cap space.

Jennings makes 2 million more than JR in 2016.. 2 million. I think the Knicks do JR+Felton for Jennings without a thought. And probably do JR+Felton+Shump as.. Like you say a team looking for cap space probably isn't going to be the highest bidder for Shumpert anyways. Don't see how he (and any max player besides Melo) are both on the Knicks in 2016. Turning the 17!* million dollar cap hold on Shump, Felton, JR into Jennings 8.3 is a win.

Cap holds 2016
Felton 3.9
JR 6.4
Shump 250% of 2.6 so 6.5

Jennings - 8.3
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 7, 2014 10:35 pm

Laimbeer wrote:BULLS get Pistons' 8th pick, JR Smith, Luigi Datome

PISTONS get 2 1st round picks from Chicago 16 & 19, Iman Shumpert, Andrea Barnagni (expiring)

Why for Bulls? Move up in draft and hope JR can rediscover instant offense off the bench

With NYK saying no, and a Bulls fan saying they want to keep Boozer (I'm lost on that one - Boozer is the weak link on a team playing DJ nd Dunleavy big mins...) What about taking NYK out and Boozer out and finding a team desperate enough to take on Jennings..

Chi - 16, 19, 49, Dunleavy
Chi - 8, Jerebko
Det - Jennings, Jerebko and 8
Det - Thornton, 16, 19, and 49
Brooklyn - Thornton and Gutierrez
Brooklyn - Jennings and Dunleavy
Gutierrez can go to either team, just salary filler in my opinion.
Det takes on 4 million less and opens up 4 million more in cap space by dumping Jerebko (I consider him a negative) Maybe Nulls have to make it Snell instead of the 2nd?
Bulls get the same premise of the deal - move up. They don't dump Boozer but supposedly they don't want to dump Boozer.
Brooklyn gets two upgrades for their team. Neither deal extends through 2016.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,051

Post#8 » by Laimbeer » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:21 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

With NYK saying no, and a Bulls fan saying they want to keep Boozer (I'm lost on that one - Boozer is the weak link on a team playing DJ nd Dunleavy big mins...) What about taking NYK out and Boozer out and finding a team desperate enough to take on Jennings..

Chi - 8, Jerebko
Det takes on 4 million less and opens up 4 million more in cap space by dumping Jerebko (I consider him a negative) Maybe Nulls have to make it Snell instead of the 2nd?
Bulls get the same premise of the deal - move up. They don't dump Boozer but supposedly they don't want to dump Boozer.

I like it for Detroit. In this draft, there's a drop off after 7 and the same players who could go at 8 could slide through the teens.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#9 » by BR0D1E86 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:28 pm

The Bulls give up expiring Boozer and two picks to move up a few spots and he penalty is JR Smith?

No thanks.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:45 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Chi - 8, Jerebko

I like it for Detroit. In this draft, there's a drop off after 7 and the same players who could go at 8 could slide through the teens.

My thinking is one of Vonleh or Smart could a there at 8. And that's why 8 is too valuable to trade until all 7 teams have picked.

If Utah/Boston draft 6th or 7th they might just take Anderson or Harris.. Sac at 6th or 7th will take either one but Boston/Utah are set at PF/PG and might just take a flier on Anderson, Harris, or McDermott.. But Vonleh means very little to Det so if he's there - 8th becomes a lot more valuable honestly.

That's assuming everyone who is likely to declare for the draft declares

And for the Bulls.. The 8th pick represents flexibility to stay away from the tax.... Or...their best (realistic) trade asset.. Midseason Melo for Boozer, whoever was 8th, Snell, and Mirotic.. Isn't terrible IMO. And that gives the Bulls the ability to keep Taj /Butler and their future picks.. But 16, 19, and a 2nd as the main pieces in a Melo trade.. That's rough..

Smart, Hardaway, Mirotic, and their 2015 pick could definitely be a solid base for a rebuild for NYK if they are sitting at 4 and 12 next season and Melodrama comes back.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#11 » by skflives » Tue Apr 8, 2014 12:55 am

melo mvp 15 wrote:EWWWWW.

Contrary to popular belief, JR doesn't have a bad contract. 2 years, $12 mil for a top 6th man is a bargain. Yes the Knicks might try to dump him, but that's only because the Knicks specifically want 2015 capspace and have 2 viable replacements.

The Knicks actually LOSE cap flexibility in this deal while also losing Shumpert (and I realize we might lose Shumpert as a FA in 2015). Jennings is no doubt a worse contract to JR in my mind. Sure he fills a position of need... but he's an awful fit and makes more money. Even if you take out Shumpert and add Felton, it's probably still a no because I don't think Boozer helps much next year and Jennings isn't a piece you really want making $9 mil when you're looking for cap space.

Correction, JR Smith is a bad contract. He's played well of late but that doesn't change the fact that he's complete poison. Jennings is a huge upgrade over Felton and isn't near the headache that JR Smith can be. Plus Boozer is an upgrade over Bargs. Is this a deal I'm excited about. No. But the Knicks can do far worse.

Return to Trades and Transactions