Offer up for Tyson Chandler

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Offer up for Tyson Chandler 

Post#1 » by Boarder Patrol » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Knicks may look to re-tool either with or without Melo this offseason. Part of that may be trading Chandler for other established talent (unlikely since Chandler IS a good fit with Melo) or picks/pieces to add flexibility.

Chandler is a bit injury prone, not horribly so, and his game has shown decline. He's still a guy that can consistently give you a double double on good efficiency and help out a lot on defense. But he isn't the defensive beast that he was. Knicks can add basically anything on their roster to a potential deal.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach

Re: Offer up for Tyson Chandler 

Post#2 » by Boarder Patrol » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Some of my ideas:

Chandler
for
Perkins, Lamb or Jones, Dallas pick?

OKC gets a definite upgrade, and they really don't seem to like Lamb anymore and Jones has some tools but is looking like just a decent rotation player. Dallas pick will be like 21 and clear the salary for the year.

Chandler
for
Splitter, fillers?

C upgrade for the Spurs who will may be looking to make a last push, win or lose. Splitter is good but looking overpaid and Tyson also expires.

Chandler
for
Bass, Bogans, 2014 Nets 1st

If Boston wants to be good and the Knicks want flexibility.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,724

Post#3 » by the_process » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:26 pm

Boarder Patrol wrote:Knicks may look to re-tool either with or without Melo this offseason. Part of that may be trading Chandler for other established talent (unlikely since Chandler IS a good fit with Melo) or picks/pieces to add flexibility.

Chandler is a bit injury prone, not horribly so, and his game has shown decline. He's still a guy that can consistently give you a double double on good efficiency and help out a lot on defense. But he isn't the defensive beast that he was. Knicks can add basically anything on their roster to a potential deal.

HOU gets Melo S&T, OKC 1st (Parsons, Asik, Lin, HOU 1st, 3 mill)
NY gets Parsons, Young, Lin, HOU 1st (Melo, Shump, STAT)
OKC gets Asik + 3 mill (Perkins, DAL 1st, OKC 1st)
PHI gets STAT, Shump, Perkins, DAL 1st (Young)
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#4 » by WesleyExChiFan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:08 am

How about Pek for Chandler straight up?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,818

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:51 am

Brandon Wright, Ellington, Larkin and the Bos 2nd? I think Dallas might do that to bring him back for a year and I think that's a realistic return for him at this point. If we get to keep our first I'd do that instead of the Bos 2nd to add a little value.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Boarder Patrol » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:02 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Brandon Wright, Ellington, Larkin and the Bos 2nd? I think Dallas might do that to bring him back for a year and I think that's a realistic return for him at this point. If we get to keep our first I'd do that instead of the Bos 2nd to add a little value.

I like this one a lot.

I like Pek but he's not as good a fit with Melo as Chandler is (if Melo stays and we re-tool around him) I'd rather route Pek to a 3rd team for picks.
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#7 » by Young_Star11 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:19 am

Wright plays very well with Dirk and the Dallas first-unit but Tyson back might be too hard to refuse.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#8 » by DusterBuster » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:36 am

Love to get Tyson in Portland. He'd be a big help to their bench and defense. They could keep his minutes low with Robin Lopez in town so as not to wear him down by the time the playoffs come.

Just depends if the Knicks are interest in some of the Blazers bench guys.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#9 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:14 am

DusterBuster wrote:Love to get Tyson in Portland. He'd be a big help to their bench and defense. They could keep his minutes low with Robin Lopez in town so as not to wear him down by the time the playoffs come.

Chandler, Shumpert, Prigioni, #2
For
Lopez, Matthews, Wright

Lillard l Williams l Prigioni
Shumpert l McCollum l Crabee
Batum l Claver
LMA l T.Robinson
Chandler l Freeland l Leonard

Felton
Hardaway l Smith
Matthews l D.Wright
Melo l Bargnani
Lopez l Amare

Even though the value is light for Portland and its risky, I like the fit and potential for both teams.
Not sure if NY could add value as they aren't adding THJr.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#10 » by DusterBuster » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:40 am

Trader_Joe wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Love to get Tyson in Portland. He'd be a big help to their bench and defense. They could keep his minutes low with Robin Lopez in town so as not to wear him down by the time the playoffs come.

For
Lopez, Matthews, Wright

Batum l Claver
LMA l T.Robinson

Felton
Hardaway l Smith
Matthews l D.Wright
Melo l Bargnani
Lopez l Amare

Even though the value is light for Portland and its risky, I like the fit and potential for both teams.

Yuck. That totally defeats the purpose of why I want Chandler in Portland. If they brought him in to replace Lopez, he'll get burnt out and injured just like he does in New York. I want to bring Chandler in to be the first big off the bench behind Aldridge and Lopez. On top of that, I hate the idea of having to swap Matthews for the perpetually injured and overrated Shumpart.

No to all of that deal.

I was thinking something more along the lines of Wright, Robinson, Leonard and CJ for Chandler, then the Blazers bring in guys through FA to fill in the bench. If the Knicks aren't interested in that, then tgey can find someone else to take him. They aren't trading starters for Chandler.
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#11 » by WhatsaTDot » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:41 am

Jose Calderon.

Damn you MJ...damn you.

This place is insufferable.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#12 » by Village Idiot » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:33 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

For
Lopez, Matthews, Wright

Batum l Claver
LMA l T.Robinson

Felton
Hardaway l Smith
Matthews l D.Wright
Melo l Bargnani
Lopez l Amare

Yuck. That totally defeats the purpose of why I want Chandler in Portland. If they brought him in to replace Lopez, he'll get burnt out and injured just like he does in New York. I want to bring Chandler in to be the first big off the bench behind Aldridge and Lopez. On top of that, I hate the idea of having to swap Matthews for the perpetually injured and overrated Shumpart.

No to all of that deal.

I was thinking something more along the lines of Wright, Robinson, Leonard and CJ for Chandler, then the Blazers bring in guys through FA to fill in the bench. If the Knicks aren't interested in that, then tgey can find someone else to take him. They aren't trading starters for Chandler.
Agreed. That makes no sense. I posted this on the Knicks board and it was well received.

New York trades:

Tyson Chandler
Iman Shumpert

Portland trades:

CJ McCollum
Thomas Robinson
Myers Leonard
Dorrell Wright
2015 1st - top 10 protected

Portland uses the MLE on Marvin Williams and the BAE on Mike Dunleavy Jr and is loaded to contend.

PG: Lillard, Mo
SG: Wes, Shumpert
SF: Batum, MDJ
PF: Aldridge, Marvin
C: Chandler, RoLo

The Knicks get some prospects and a pick
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#13 » by avon barksdale » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Brandon Wright, Ellington, Larkin and the Bos 2nd? I think Dallas might do that to bring him back for a year and I think that's a realistic return for him at this point. If we get to keep our first I'd do that instead of the Bos 2nd to add a little value.

That's a bit steep to us and frankly I don't think chandler has that value beyond the 15m cap hit he's been very injury/ill prone and doesn't have the same impact he did not to mention on paper he and dalembert are essentially carbon copies now I still think chandler is better when u account for his energy and higher bbiq but to pay a guy 5x what dalembert is making plus add that much value is extreme, now if we miss on gortat pau and a few others id trade Wright Ellington and mekel but nyk would be adding a second
Texas Chuck

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Only thing we give up of value is Larkin and the pick. I like Wright and think he has positive value, but if we dealt for Chandler he becomes at expensive luxury at $5M so I moved him out and Ellington never plays so clearing his contract is beneficial. But part of my goal was to reduce the salary addition so we had enough space to add more talent.

Its not a significant overpay if it is one at all really.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#15 » by avon barksdale » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Only thing we give up of value is Larkin and the pick. I like Wright and think he has positive value, but if we dealt for Chandler he becomes at expensive luxury at $5M so I moved him out and Ellington never plays so clearing his contract is beneficial. But part of my goal was to reduce the salary addition so we had enough space to add more talent.

Its not a significant overpay if it is one at all really.

I agree on allfronts I even like having a 15m exp as well I just think without the pick we're giving up enough especially considering he may only play 50 games and has the same skill set of a guy we're paying three million, I just feel like saving the knicks 8m plus any tax hits is more than enough
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#16 » by Knosh » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:51 pm

If you replace the Boston pick with either Ledo, Mekel or the rookie Dallas gets with that Boston pick and do it after using cap space, this trade should barely work under the 150% rule. If that's the case I'm all over it.

If this is done using cap space to absorb the extra salary, I'm not so sure. $15M for Chandler really is a lot for him at this point if you are operating under the cap.
Texas Chuck

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:58 pm

Agree Knosh that is definitely the best way of going about it. Thanks for pointing that out.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#18 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:34 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

For
Lopez, Matthews, Wright

Batum l Claver
LMA l T.Robinson

Felton
Hardaway l Smith
Matthews l D.Wright
Melo l Bargnani
Lopez l Amare

No to all of that deal.

Ah.. did not think CJ was available, but yeah that's a good deal for NY if they can get CJ and Meyers.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#19 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:35 pm

If I am Knicks I don't trade Chandler (only if Melo opts out). Only trade I make is attaching THJ or Shump to Smith for an expiring deal and getting his contract off '15 books. Go into '15 with max cap to have Phil and Melo conspire with 1-3 other superstars to join them in NY (which means taking less Melo...and others). From '15 forward, have Melo and 1-3 other stars recruiting vets and ring chasers to NY.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#20 » by DusterBuster » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
For
Lopez, Matthews, Wright

Batum l Claver
LMA l T.Robinson

Felton
Hardaway l Smith
Matthews l D.Wright
Melo l Bargnani
Lopez l Amare

No to all of that deal.

Ah.. did not think CJ was available, but yeah that's a good deal for NY if they can get CJ and Meyers.

He's a lot more available than Wes, Lopez or any other starter is.

Return to Trades and Transactions