Kevin Love to Boston

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

rein08
Senior
And1: 18

Kevin Love to Boston 

Post#1 » by rein08 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:09 am

http://www1.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6442416

TWolves get compensation for trading their franchise player.
Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, and Vitor Faverani to fill a part of the void left by Love. Bogans is thrown in to make the salaries match. Added are the 2 2015 1st round picks they have(their own and LAC's) and 2 2016 1st round picks(their own, and Brooklyn's)

Celtics get to speed up their rebuild by pairing Kevin Love with Rondo, who is beginning to return to his All-Star form
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Re: Kevin Love to Boston 

Post#2 » by BossHoggin » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:20 am

:lol:
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:22 am

1. Stepien Rule, so can't trade both Boston picks.

2. That's really really really bad value on Love.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#4 » by slicedbread2 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:35 am

Come on for real?

This is a franchise player right here who's a top 10 player in this league. I mean if they take back Wallace, I'm sure they'd have no problem with it provided that the Boston pick in this year's draft along with the Brooklyn 2016 pick which is looking juicy is added as a starting point. You may even see Sullinger thrown into this deal since imagine how much Boston gave up for Garnett who was 31 when the deal was made and imagine how much you will give up for Love who will be 26 in September. Huge age differential plus he's entering his prime.

Like Bondom said, the Stepien rule is in effect and prevents teams from trading picks in consecutive years.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#5 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:01 am

NO.

But you have our other Kevin (martin) for Bass plus pick or for Green. And pair him with Rondo and speed up your rebuild. I'd even trade you Pekovic for such return.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,768

Post#6 » by spree8 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Nah buddy, it would need to look something like JGreen+Bass+2014 1st unprotected at the very least.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#7 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:18 pm

I guess about a fortnight has passed...since that is about the calendar of time which passes between KLove trades posted and reposted on RGM.

Any Boston trade starts with Sullinger + includes Boston '14 pick unprotected + Bogans and Green for filler + other picks to supplement value (which/how many based on where Boston pick falls in '14).

Boston gets Love (who committs to re-signing) + Martin + Brewer.

After this trade Wolves enter rebuild and good chance Green and/or Budinger opt out for better situations and long term deals.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#8 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Green - quality filler at SF
Bogans - instantly can be waived for $5m savings
Bass - decent expiring PF
'14 BOS #1
'15 LAC #1
$4m TE/Cap savings
for
Love, Martin, Shved

Then:
Pierce TE, PHI #1
for
Budinger, Brewer

MINNY
Rubio / Barrea*
Mohammed
Green / LRMM*
Bass* / Turiaff*
Pekovic / Dieng
+
'14 MIN #1
'14 BOS #1
LAC #1
PHI #1
$19m in instant savings/$10m in cap space

*Expiring

BOSTON
Rondo / Shved / Pressy
Martin / Brewer / Babb
Budinger / Wallace / C.Johnson
Love / Sullinger
Olynyk / Faverani / Anthony
+
Bayless + Bradley + Hump = FA (Keep Bradley if affordable)
'14 BK #1 ('16 + '18 BK #1 as well)
All future BOS #1
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
sjm34
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#9 » by sjm34 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:Green - quality filler at SF
'14 BOS #1
'15 LAC #1
$4m TE/Cap savings
for
Love, Martin, Shved

Then:
Pierce TE, PHI #1
for
Budinger, Brewer

MINNY
Rubio / Barrea*
Mohammed
Green / LRMM*
Bass* / Turiaff*
Pekovic / Dieng
+
'14 MIN #1
'14 BOS #1
LAC #1
PHI #1

*Expiring

BOSTON
Rondo / Shved / Pressy
Martin / Brewer / Babb
Love / Sullinger
+
All future BOS #1

Why would Love agree to re-sign on a worse team than what he had. Rubio and Rondo are a likely wash with Rubio likely to improve going forward. Pek & Dieng are much better options at center and Boston has no way to improve now.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#10 » by cl2117 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:19 pm

sjm34 wrote:
'14 BOS #1
'15 LAC #1
$4m TE/Cap savings
for
Love, Martin, Shved

Then:
Pierce TE, PHI #1
for
Budinger, Brewer

MINNY
Rubio / Barrea*
Mohammed
Green / LRMM*
Bass* / Turiaff*
Pekovic / Dieng
+
'14 MIN #1
'14 BOS #1
LAC #1
PHI #1

*Expiring

BOSTON
Rondo / Shved / Pressy
Martin / Brewer / Babb
Love / Sullinger
+
All future BOS #1

Why would Love agree to re-sign on a worse team than what he had. Rubio and Rondo are a likely wash with Rubio likely to improve going forward. Pek & Dieng are much better options at center and Boston has no way to improve now.

Boston would still have plenty of assets to add to that lineup. Two future unprotected Brooklyn firsts, right to swap in 2017, all their own firsts, Sullinger/Olynyk and potentially sign and trade Bradley. That's still a lot to work with. If they add a defensive center like Asik and they try and bring in a better SF, they'd be immediate contenders in the East.

I don't see that offer getting it done for Minnesota though, but I'm still not sure exactly what Love would command. I assume Boston 2014 first (#4?) along with filler and additional firsts, I just don't know how many.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:52 pm

sjm34 wrote:Why would Love agree to re-sign on a worse team than what he had. Rubio and Rondo are a likely wash with Rubio likely to improve going forward. Pek & Dieng are much better options at center and Boston has no way to improve now.

While I'm a Rubio fan, Rondo is the much better player.
The bench is better as well with Bradley (who I forgot to put in) and Sullinger.

Also Boston has left to trade:
Sullinger
Olynyk
Bradley
All future first rounders after 2014
'14 + '16 + '18 BK #1
Expirings (Shved, Faverani, Anthony)

That's still more picks than 90% of the league and a ton of assets.
I did not do follow-up moves by check the Celtics Cash in their assets thread I made. They could still get a center like Asik or Varejao after this and still have more room for improvement.

And while Love may not resign, it only matters if Boston thinks he would and would trade for him.

Love has already said:
a. how easy it is to win in the East
b. how good a coach Stevens is
c. how attractive a destination Boston is

Most importantly that team is the #3 seed/Home Court team overnight.
If Miami is disbanded or Indy continue to tumble, maybe they are higher.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
sjm34
Freshman

Post#12 » by sjm34 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
sjm34 wrote:Why would Love agree to re-sign on a worse team than what he had. Rubio and Rondo are a likely wash with Rubio likely to improve going forward. Pek & Dieng are much better options at center and Boston has no way to improve now.

The bench is better as well with Bradley (who I forgot to put in) and Sullinger.

Sullinger
Olynyk
Bradley
'14 + '16 + '18 BK #1

I did not do follow-up moves by check the Celtics Cash in their assets thread I made. They could still get a center like Asik or Varejao after this and still have more room for improvement.

And while Love may not resign, it only matters if Boston thinks he would and would trade for him.

Love has already said:

I don't put much value on Bradley because he can't stay healthy. I would take either of our centers over Olynyk. I think the Rondo that people saw when boston had the big 3 was better than Rubio, but not this Rondo. We should also factor in the difference in personalities between the two players. Rubio is happy to give up the spotlight, which is something Love requires. Even if you give the nod to Rondo, our C certainly makes up the difference.

As for adding a guy like Asik, or Varajeo, I don't see where the money comes from. Sounds like they are already sitting over 70 mil after the minny trade, and so they have to send out salary to bring those guys in. The draft picks aren't likely to be in the lottery, so their value isn't that high.

I don't know why you would expect a top 3 team when I don't think the Minny team would be any better than around 6 in the east, and you have almost the same team.

What Love said about Boston was no different than any other player being complementary of a city they are visiting. I am sure Love would be just excited with Phoenix.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#13 » by Narf » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:19 am

'14 BOS #1
'15 LAC #1
$4m TE/Cap savings
for
Love, Martin, Shved

Then:
Pierce TE, PHI #1
for
Budinger, Brewer

MINNY
Rubio / Barrea*
Mohammed
Green / LRMM*
Bass* / Turiaff*
Pekovic / Dieng
+
'14 MIN #1
'14 BOS #1
LAC #1
PHI #1
I feel like the package is lacking.
JMO
Green is a solid player but overpaid ($9.2 mil).
Overpaid = slightly negative value unless taking bad salary back. Not what you want when trading Love.
Bass is a solid role player, overpaid more ($6.9 mil).
Bogans is a negative value, as his "partially guaranteed" contract essentially means "money for nothing".

With Budinger's injury history he has a negative value. When healthy and firing on all cylinders he's worth more than his contract. But he's a risk. Brewer is worth more than his contract. He's paid like a bench role player should be paid and playing better than that.

It's hard to value on Budinger to me. He was really solid last year and never quite recovered fully this year. So that's the only real risk coming back IMO.

For that you're getting dead money and 2 overpaid but solid rotation players.

That Philly #1 is really 2 Philly 2nds and everyone knows it.

Is the #4 pick in this draft, 2 Philly 2nds, LAC 1st, and negative contracts worth Love and role players?

Not to me.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:29 am

sjm34 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

Sullinger
Olynyk
Bradley
'14 + '16 + '18 BK #1

Love has already said:

I don't put much value on Bradley because he can't stay healthy. I would take either of our centers over Olynyk. I think the Rondo that people saw when boston had the big 3 was better than Rubio, but not this Rondo. We should also factor in the difference in personalities between the two players. Rubio is happy to give up the spotlight, which is something Love requires. Even if you give the nod to Rondo, our C certainly makes up the difference.

As for adding a guy like Asik, or Varajeo, I don't see where the money comes from. Sounds like they are already sitting over 70 mil after the minny trade, and so they have to send out salary to bring those guys in. The draft picks aren't likely to be in the lottery, so their value isn't that high.

I don't know why you would expect a top 3 team when I don't think the Minny team would be any better than around 6 in the east, and you have almost the same team.

What Love said about Boston was no different than any other player being complementary of a city they are visiting. I am sure Love would be just excited with Phoenix.

See my Cash in Boston's Assets for the bigger makeover and explanations.
Asik or Varejao would be acquired in trade.

As for the picks...picks are picks. They are unprotected and worth more than ever. Look how volatile Brooklyn is with their age and salary. People thought they were a certain lotto team three months ago. Boston is a complete wild card as well..especially if you think Love would leave them, then those picks are gold.

I still disagree about Rubio/Rondo and don't think its close.
I'm probably one of the biggest Non-Wolf fan Rubio fans but still can't justify Rubio over Rondo unless money is a factor. Rondo defered to PP/KG/Allen for years so I don't see deferring to Love being an issue...though I didn't know Love felt that way and it was "required". He hasn't led his team to the playoffs in 6 years so I'm not sure why he would feel that entitled. Ideally he's a second best player on your team so that may be an issue going forward for any team with him

And the Wolves would probably be #3 in the East behind Miami and Indy (with follow up moves) considering how much easier it is to be in the East which Love stressed in his comments after losing to BK. Toronto's best player Lowry is a FA and Chicago has major decisions to make with Boozer and their future. Either way they'd be in the mix for HC. He may not make the playoffs yet again in the West.

8 playoff teams in their primes or early primes. Only SAS and DAL are over the hill but may not be going anywhere anytime soon.

OKC
SAS
POR
HOU
LAC
DAL
GSW
MEM

3 up and comers
PHO
SAC
NOP

LAL doesn't stay down long
DEN will hope to add a lotto pick, Gallo and McGee

Along with MIN that is 14 teams who will go into next season with plans to make the playoffs.

Sure Minny has the better C in Pekovic, but he also isn't a good fit on the defensive end. Considering he is signed for 4 more years with a large contract, I'm not sure how quickly or eagerly Minny would look to move him. Other than that I think Boston has a sizable edge at PG, the same SG-PF, worse C with a better bench and more assets....and most importantly a much much easier conference.

And no, Love did not have to say what he did.
He dissmissed Brooklyn when asked, dissed them and pinned their success on playing in the East. He did not say anything complimentary about them. He also dissed the Lakers by saying Minny had a better foundation. Point is, he's not afraid to be honest and isn't going to praise a team for no reason. He praised their coach, history and called them a very appealing FA destination. I haven't hears him be that complimentary about any other team.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:49 am

Narf wrote:
'14 BOS #1
'15 LAC #1
$4m TE/Cap savings
for
Love, Martin, Shved

Then:
Pierce TE, PHI #1
for
Budinger, Brewer

MINNY
Rubio / Barrea*
Mohammed
Green / LRMM*
Bass* / Turiaff*
Pekovic / Dieng
+
'14 MIN #1
'14 BOS #1
LAC #1
PHI #1
JMO
Overpaid = slightly negative value unless taking bad salary back. Not what you want when trading Love.
Bogans is a negative value, as his "partially guaranteed" contract essentially means "money for nothing".

With Budinger's injury history he has a negative value. When healthy and firing on all cylinders he's worth more than his contract. But he's a risk. Brewer is worth more than his contract. He's paid like a bench role player should be paid and playing better than that.

It's hard to value on Budinger to me. He was really solid last year and never quite recovered fully this year. So that's the only real risk coming back IMO.

Is the #4 pick in this draft, 2 Philly 2nds, LAC 1st, and negative contracts worth Love and role players?

Not to me.

A couple things

A.Bogans can be waived at anytime and is completely not guaranteed

B. Martin/ Brewer/Budinger /LRMM/Barrea/Shved probably all interchangable for Boston so change as needed. LRMM, Barrea and Shved are expiring though.

C. IF you are moving Love, no you won't get fair value but I don't see a team that can offer a better package of realistic trading partners. If its not worth moving him no matter what, that is Minnys prerogative and something many see happening. (I'm starting to as well) Obviously if they think he is staying they wouldn't move him period. But I do think this is the best overall.package. Massive salary relief, win now player in Green (and Bass) and probably the single best piece (BOS #1) of any realistic suitor. LAL might offer a top 3 pick if they get, but have nothing else to.offer and IMO if that pick is a bust, so is the trade and you've set back Minny for some time. I wouldn't put all.my eggs in one basket.

Green
Bass
$19m immediate savings
Top 6 2014 #1
PHI #1
LAC #1

For

Love + whatever combination of players you want

Don't see anyone beating that..and Boston can offer that on draft night allowing you to draft who you want and make all your decisions starting with your two picks in the draft, based on a new direction.
Might be better getting the earliest start on things.

But again...I doubt Minny makes a move until the deadline in which case many of those advantages are gone.
sjm34
Freshman

Post#16 » by sjm34 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:57 am

Trader_Joe wrote:
sjm34 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:While I'm a Rubio fan, Rondo is the much better player.

Sullinger
Olynyk
Bradley
'14 + '16 + '18 BK #1

Love has already said:

See my Cash in Boston's Assets for the bigger makeover and explanations.
Asik or Varejao would be acquired in trade.

As for the picks...picks are picks. They are unprotected and worth more than ever. Look how volatile Brooklyn is with their age and salary. People thought they were a certain lotto team three months ago. Boston is a complete wild card as well..especially if you think Love would leave them, then those picks are gold.

I still disagree about Rubio/Rondo and don't think its close.
I'm probably one of the biggest Non-Wolf fan Rubio fans but still can't justify Rubio over Rondo unless money is a factor. Rondo defered to PP/KG/Allen for years so I don't see deferring to Love being an issue...though I didn't know Love felt that way and it was "required". He hasn't led his team to the playoffs in 6 years so I'm not sure why he would feel that entitled. Ideally he's a second best player on your team so that may be an issue going forward for any team with him

And the Wolves would probably be #3 in the East behind Miami and Indy (with follow up moves) considering how much easier it is to be in the East which Love stressed in his comments after losing to BK. Toronto's best player Lowry is a FA and Chicago has major decisions to make with Boozer and their future. Either way they'd be in the mix for HC. He may not make the playoffs yet again in the West.

8 playoff teams in their primes or early primes. Only SAS and DAL are over the hill but may not be going anywhere anytime soon.

OKC
SAS
POR
HOU
LAC
DAL
GSW
MEM

3 up and comers
PHO
SAC
NOP

LAL doesn't stay down long
DEN will hope to add a lotto pick, Gallo and McGee

Along with MIN that is 14 teams who will go into next season with plans to make the playoffs.

Sure Minny has the better C in Pekovic, but he also isn't a good fit on the defensive end. Considering he is signed for 4 more years with a large contract, I'm not sure how quickly or eagerly Minny would look to move him. Other than that I think Boston has a sizable edge at PG, the same SG-PF, worse C with a better bench and more assets....and most importantly a much much easier conference.

And no, Love did not have to say what he did.
He dissmissed Brooklyn when asked, dissed them and pinned their success on playing in the East. He did not say anything complimentary about them. He also dissed the Lakers by saying Minny had a better foundation. Point is, he's not afraid to be honest and isn't going to praise a team for no reason. He praised their coach, history and called them a very appealing FA destination. I haven't hears him be that complimentary about any other team.

What you heard is what the reporter wants you to hear. It is all about getting web hits.

What is it about Rondo that makes you think he is any better. He isn't scoring more efficiently anymore. His D isn't any better, court vision, nope. In Rubio you have a younger player, still has more upside, and is a guy players love to play with. Rondo is a poor FT shooter, and worse 3pt shooter as well.

I'd be willing to bet that what we have seen from Dieng over the last month has given him more value than anyone on the Celtics bench and makes him a perfect fit next to Love. I think they will look to move Pek in Minny if they are smart (might be a big if). Brookly isn't hitting the lottery anytime soon. Their owner will just continue to spend more money.

Trading for V or Asik requires having players that others want. Asik is going to make 15 mil this coming season, which is a lot of salary going back out. I doubt Houston is going to take on bad money in that deal.

I just don't see a better situation. I also don't think the deal is really worth it for Minny. I think they can do a lot better. Most think it is one year before Love makes a decision, but there is an alternative where Love agrees to pickup his option year like Paul did going to the clippers.
kristov
Junior
And1: 80

Post#17 » by kristov » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 am

Trader_Joe wrote:
Narf wrote:
'14 BOS #1
'15 LAC #1
$4m TE/Cap savings
for
Love, Martin, Shved

Then:
Pierce TE, PHI #1
for
Budinger, Brewer

MINNY
Rubio / Barrea*
Mohammed
Green / LRMM*
Bass* / Turiaff*
Pekovic / Dieng
+
'14 MIN #1
'14 BOS #1
LAC #1
PHI #1
JMO

Not to me.

A couple things

A.Bogans can be waived at anytime and is completely not guaranteed

B. Martin/ Brewer/Budinger /LRMM/Barrea/Shved probably all interchangable for Boston so change as needed. LRMM, Barrea and Shved are expiring though.

C. IF you are moving Love, no you won't get fair value but I don't see a team that can offer a better package of realistic trading partners. If its not worth moving him no matter what, that is Minnys prerogative and something many see happening. (I'm starting to as well) Obviously if they think he is staying they wouldn't move him period. But I do think this is the best overall.package. Massive salary relief, win now player in Green (and Bass) and probably the single best piece (BOS #1) of any realistic suitor. LAL might offer a top 3 pick if they get, but have nothing else to.offer and IMO if that pick is a bust, so is the trade and you've set back Minny for some time. I wouldn't put all.my eggs in one basket.

Green
Bass
$19m immediate savings
Top 6 2014 #1
PHI #1
LAC #1

For

Love + whatever combination of players you want

Don't see anyone beating that..and Boston can offer that on draft night allowing you to draft who you want and make all your decisions starting with your two picks in the draft, based on a new direction.
Might be better getting the earliest start on things.

But again...I doubt Minny makes a move until the deadline in which case many of those advantages are gone.

I would say it's 99.9% certain that Philly won't make the playoffs next season so that #1 becomes 2 2nds. The Clippers pick isn't anything special and the same could be said about Jeff Green and Bass. The only thing of value is the Boston pick and if it turns out top 3, I don't think Boston would trade it since they made the effort to tank for this draft. You don't trade a player like Love for cap savings which is one of the main selling points of your trade. Denver got a better return from NY for Anthony.

Return to Trades and Transactions