The 3 Things Each Team MUST Do This Offseason

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Re: The 3 Things Each Team MUST Do This Offseason 

Post#21 » by the_process » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:1. Re-sign Dirk. Yes this is mostly a formality, but an extremely important one. The big issue is finding the sweet spot where Dirk to put it in his words: "feels respected" and optimizes the cap space to build around him one last time. My guess is that Cuban and Dirk already have a range worked out and that Dirk will take the bottom of the range if he likes the others moves the team makes. ($8-12M per/3 years with year 3 a player option is my guess)

2. Find another difference making player. Ideally its a center or a SF, but really anything but a big who can't play with Dirk

3. Address center. Daly/Wright/Blair needs to be improved upon.

Don't you guys REALLY need to beat MEM tonight so you convey your pick to OKC before Dirk starts his drop off? Because I'm sure you don't want to be conveying a 2018 top 5 pick. I don't know how you frame that in terms of the offseason but that should be a priority I would think.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#22 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:52 pm

It's a priority for me personally to be sure. But if we address 1 through 3 then we should be able to convey that pick next year if we fail to do it this year.

But yes I think its an important concern.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#23 » by the_process » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Philadelphia 76ers:

1) Lottery luck. Not only do they really need a lottery win, they need the Pelicans to NOT get into the top 3.

2) Nail their pick. This relates to the first, as so much of the Sixers future is directly tied to this draft; but whomever they take, wherever that is, needs to be able to step in and show they are part of the foundation for the future.

3) Use their cap space to acquire more future assets. Whether it be trying out younger players or eating bad salary for draft picks, the Sixers must stay the course next year and remain the youngest team in the league, adding to their collection and determining their true foundation going forward.
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#24 » by Guzman_9 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Indiana Pacers. This is just what I think the Pacers should do:

1) Try to resign Stephenson to a 4/40 contract. If any higher than that Id let him walk. I would also consider giving him the keys to the PG. If not then try and trade Geoege Hill in a package to get a better PG or shooting (If you give Stepehenson the keys to PG)

2) Try and trade Copeland to open up cap. I would personally let Scola walk and try and sign Jordan Hill to take his spot. The Pacers then need to try and sign consistant wings for the bench. Maybe Jamaal Crawford and another SF.

3) Vogel needs to hire someone that really knows how to run an offense and let them run the O like how coaches do in the NFL.

Stephenson(10)/Watson(2)
Afflalo(8)/Crawford(5)
George(16)/ S.Hill(1)
West(12)/Hill(4)
Hibbert(14)/Mahinmi(4)
=76mil in line ups

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using RealGM Forums mobile app
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Blazer50
Head Coach
And1: 759

Post#25 » by Blazer50 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:11 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Portland is likely to have a very quiet offseason. That said..

1. Resolve the Mo Williams/backup PG/6th man issue. Will Mo opt out? Will we have to spend the MLE to keep him? If so, is there a better option to fill that role.

2. Add backup center depth, particularly someone who can play defense and has size. Leonard might stick around as a 3rd stringer, but its unlikely he will every amount to anything in Portland and he probably needs to be a journeyman and cycled through a couple teams before he gets it together and sticks somewhere.

3. Get some 2ed round picks to use as trade fodder in the future. If it takes cash or guys like Leonard, Claver, Crabbe, Barton, Freeland, etc, explore those options.

I don't disagree with DeBlazer - but would add -
1a) Make a decision on how McCollum will fit in determining what Mo's offer should be.

2a) I don't see good - affordable candidates to bring in without tipping the Cap plans. With LMA, TRob, Robin Lopez, Joel Freeland and Meyers Leonard the Blazer's have great size and athleticism in their bigs. Lopez - arguably the best post defender is probably the least athletic. Blazer's need to adopt a defensive scheme that stops the pick and roll parade to the hoop. There is no Cap on hiring a good defensive coach and shoring up that end of the court. Lillard is a very athletic - tough PG who appears to work at the defensive end, but who is routinely screened off his guy who immediately attacks and forces defensive errors. Find a D scheme that works with Stotts' motion offense.

3) Neil Olshey (in an interview with D Jaynes) did express Paul Allen's love of the draft and that picks are often part of deals - which suggests the Blazers may be more than bystanders in the 2014 draft.
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#26 » by skflives » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Jwduff wrote:New York Knicks

1) Re-sign Melo. They need to resign him to have any stability in signing free agents starting 2015

2) Trade Chandler. Chandler is becoming less and less valuable. However with his 14M expiring contract and his ability to lead a team defensively and in general the Knicks should be able to get something for him. Plus he already said he didn't want to waist another season.

3) If Melo doesn't resign. Trade an expiring contract (ie. Barngiani) to Detroit for Josh Smith. Josh Smith Obviuosly isn't close to Melo but he would give the Knicks some what of a name to present fans and the media. Ultimately it would be better than having a lineup of Felton, Smith, Shumpert, Stoudemire, and whoever to replace Chandler.

Redoing the Knicks list of things to do:

1. Resolve Melo situation: Everything else is secondary until this issue is resolved. I think he will ultimately resign with us as long as we make a clear commit towards making the team around him better.

2. Fire Mike Woodson: Woodson was a disaster. He coddled J.R Smith but went out of his way to destroy Iman Shumpert's confidence. He didn't manage the team well. We need a new coach to bring order to the locker room.

3(A)Unless we are somehow able to steal someone like Kevin Love or Rondo away from the teams that own the we should hold onto our trade chips (expirings, shumpert and hardaway jr). Eric Gordon, Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith are talented but they aren't going to turn the team around. If Melo leaves we're better off tanking to secure a top lotto pick. If Stoudamire, Bargs and Tyson Chandler don't want to play for a lotto team then they are free to accept buyouts for millions less than they are owed.

3(B): Get younger and faster at point guard because Raymond Felton and Prigoni are too old and too slow to stay in front of most teams point guards. Defense at the point guard spot was the teams biggest weakness this season. Even if we have to settle on giving Shumpert or Toure Murray more time there anything is better than seeing those two old guys chase after the other teams fastest players. They move surprisingly quick for people using walkers but its not fast enough.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#27 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:07 pm

BROOKLYN

1. Resign Pierce
He's their leader and arguably their best player right now with Deron back in a rut and Lopez out. 2/15 sounds fair.

2. Keep Livingston
Another one who makes the team go. Hopefully he accepts the mMLE. If he doesn't... make him accept it.

3. Do NOT overpay Blatche
Do not go into 2016 with him taking up cap space. I think the Nets can offer him 4/25 or something now, but do NOT offer him more than 2 years. 2/12 is the absolute most.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#28 » by gflem » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:39 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:Cleveland must:

1. Sign Irving to an extension. Cleveland needs to keep Irving and Waiters together, giving them more time to mature and develop as players.

2. Acquire a starting SF. I expect Deng to want a lot of money, something like 4/$48, and if I am throwing around that kind of money, I would look to force Utah to overpay Hayward or let him walk.

3. Acquire a defensive anchor at the 4 or 5. Cleveland has a lot of moving parts in the front court, Varejao's deal is only partially guaranteed for next season, Hawes may or may not be resigned, but if this team wants to make a push, they need someone to provide some rim protection.

1. Agree with signing Irving to an extension, but am not averse to moving him in the right package either. I may be wrong but I haven't seen anything to make me believe that Dion and Kyrie want to play together or will figure it out.
2. Agree with SF assessment, it is so obvious. If Barnes can be had at a reasonable price (Memphis pick?) he may be worth a shot. Or, draft best available SF where ever the pick falls. Not a big Hayward fan, but admit that I haven't seen a great deal to base my opinion on.
3. Yes, a defensive big to protect the rim would be nice, or even hiding the red cape that Kyrie waves at opposing pgs would help as well. Re-signing Hawes is a must, wouldn't be bothered by 8-10 mil per for 3 years, as Andy's deal comes off the books after this year, unless there is some big FA signing upcoming that would preclude a deal of that size (I don't see it happening though, it is Cleveland).
4. Figure out the GM/coaching situation, is Brown the guy the new GM wants, will he be forced on the new GM by ownership for another year, or is he out after one year? This should be issue number 1, as I don't think waiting on this helps at all with planning the draft or overall makeup of the team going forward.
NOLA Glasses
Senior
And1: 131

Post#29 » by NOLA Glasses » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 pm

New Orleans must:

1. Obtain a 3 and D SF. Someone like PJ Tucker perhaps, that could play off the ball since Tyreke and Jrue need the ball to be effective.

2. Re-sign the RIGHT roleplayers. Anthony Morrow and Jason Smith are locker room leaders and effective. They should be back for the right price. While Brian Roberts and Steimsma have really worn out their welcome. Aminu could return off the bench, but if priority 1 is met then he's likely gone as well.

3. Just get healthy. Davis, Anderson, Jrue, Gordon, and Smith are all going into the offseason hurt. We need to use some voodoo magic so that we can FINALLY stay healthy next year.

If Eric Gordon can be moved he should. I'm not sure it's possible for anything that will upgrade the roster or expirings, so I won't say we must do something impossible.
New Orleans love.
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#30 » by lordjeff05 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:02 pm

Pelicans:

1) Trade Gordon. Not only is his long multiyear contract expensive, keeping him on the team also prevents the Pels from playing Reke at his natural position, shooting guard. Playing the 2 would make him less susceptible to the big 3s that have a tendency to beat up on him, and playing with Holiday and Davis, let alone Anderson, opens the court for him and prevents teams from packing the paint and doubling up on him.

2) Trade for or sign a Center. We really need a defensive, rebounding center to play a little under 30 minutes a game. Ideally, he would have the bulk to defend the post and be able to block shots. Pels were killed by the centers they started this year. We need someone to prevent Davis and Anderson from getting beaten up too badly and we need a rim protector when Davis is on the bench.

3) Sign a D and 3 small forward. I put this last because it is usually tougher to find a center than an SF, so we should focus more on the big. Pels really need a primary wing defender that can deal with bigger wings, take the primary perimeter scorer on the other team, and space the floor for Davis and Evans.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#31 » by campybatman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 am

Boston

1. In my opinion, Ainge must trade Jeff Green. Before the regular season, Ainge was willing to sink or swim with Green. However, I've to believe that behind closed doors his optimism for Green has changed. Also, I expect Brandon Bass to be available if the right offer's there from another team.

2. In my opinion, Ainge could allow Avery Bradley to sign elsewhere by not matching that team's offer sheet. On the other hand, I've to believe that Ainge could explore the possibility of a sign-and-trade.

On the other hand, Ainge could re-sign Kris Humphries. His age, toughness and penchant for rebounding make him a likely candidate to re-sign to a reasonable contract. Another player Ainge can re-sign is Jerryd Bayless. Basically he's the alternative option to re-signing Bradley.

Moreover, I would target Eric Bledsoe in free agency. Although Bledsoe's a RFA, he's an ideal insurance for RFA Bradley, as well as Rajon Rondo if Ainge decides to trade him this off-season.

3. If I'm Ainge, I would entertain trade offers from other teams if Boston fails to get a top five selection in this year's draft. The Brooklyn pick's expected to be the eighteenth or seventeenth selection. So I would consider Zach LaVine or Cleanthony Early if they're still on the board.

Well, I don't think that there's a player Ainge must trade for from another team who's readily available unless you believe that that player's Kevin Love. I don't think that he is. What Boston needs is a front court player, a power forward or a center, who can defend and rebound and be a complement to your best player if it isn't him. None of Boston's front court players excel at both. And Ainge can't look to the draft for help unless Boston can pick among the top three and select Joel Embiid.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#32 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:19 am

As a Boston fan, I don't want any part of LaVine. He didn't impress me at all. Not a fan. I'd rather play Rondo and Pressey.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#33 » by Boarder Patrol » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:41 am

Team: The Knicks

1. Resolve the Melo situation. Re-sign him for a reasonable deal (i.e more than the 4/96 other teams can offer him but less than the Kobe-max, something like 5/110), or let him go. I wouldn't resign him to a max deal and would try to squeak out a couple of draft picks in a S/T.

2. Continue to add fresh young legs. Hardaway Jr. was one of the best rookies in the league this year IMO, and Tyler/Aldrich/Murry all looked like capable bench players. As we transition to 2015, having CHEAP role players that play hard and are effective in their roles is a must. This might entail buying a 2nd round pick, a d-league pickup, overseas free agents, etc. I have faith we can find someone. Prigioni/Copeland/Lin/Tyler were all great finds.

3. Add some veterans (preferably guys who can shoot the 3 and/or play some defense. Guys like Camby/Sheed/Kidd/Thomas were vital to making us go last year, keeping guys like Smith in check, etc. At points they played pretty damn well on their own too. Some guys I have in mind are to bring Shannon Brown back, Brand, etc.
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#34 » by BeesWax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:30 am

Biz Gilwalker wrote:Bobcats:
Must trade/sign/draft a three-point shooting starting shooting guard that fits next to Kemba, MKG, and Al. I don't care how we get it, we need one.
Must re-sign Chris Douglas-Roberts and probably Anthony Tolliver.
Must keep the core intact (Al, MKG, Kemba, Biz need to stick around)

Trading Henderson isn't a priority, but he's the odd guy out. Chris Douglas-Roberts has been starter-worthy and a far better fit.

I think it can be a SG or SF. Any shooting wing player would fit great here. I completely agree with everything else though.
Spoiler:
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#35 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 am

Lakers

1) Draft BPA if 1-6 if 7 and lower trade pick

2) Conserve cap for 2015 season (dont throw money at Melo,Deng,Lowry) offer Bledsoe max in RFA

3) Fire Dantoni (Hire young coach)

JR : Next Gen
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#36 » by djthesonicsfan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:39 am

bondom34 wrote:
djthesonicsfan wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I"m gonna let this ride for OKC til the playoffs are done, but I got a feeling they're gonna fall short (bad vibe this year). Its gonna depend on how everything plays out though, so still I'm hopeful.

I agree, there's still a lot of evaluating to be done because it's only the playoffs that matter for the notSonics. Also, tonight will reveal whether we get the Dallas pick or not. Maybe.

I'm still hopeful Dallas keeps it. Too many picks at this point.

I had the same opinion as you. I had visions of a top five pick in 2018. Well, it's going to be the #21 pick in 2014. I have to say I'm surprised both Toronto and Chicago lost. I was way more confident of both of them winning than I was of Memphis beating Dallas. Anyway, we can now close the book on the Harden trade. And we've got #21 and #29 this June. Hmmm. Interesting.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#37 » by sportscrazy » Mon May 5, 2014 2:35 am

Bump for the end of the first round of the playoffs.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#38 » by HotrodBeaubois » Mon May 5, 2014 2:43 am

Dallas ....

1-Trade Caleron
2-Trade Caleron
3-Trade Caleron
Blancoloco
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#39 » by Blancoloco » Mon May 5, 2014 3:14 pm

[quote="Smitty731"]Boston Celtics

1. Figure out the Rondo question. Are they building around him, or is it time to cut bait? He can still fetch a good return if they want to deal him, but now is the time. Not later.

2. Nail the draft pick. Regardless of where it falls, the team MUST draft well. It will be a top 6 pick, and there seems to be 6 good/great talents for sure coming in. They can not afford to miss with this pick.

3. Figure out how to structure the frontcourt. Sullinger and Olynyk seem like nice young pieces, but they aren't a great fit together in my opinion. Neither is a rim protector and that is what this team is missing. The other collection of PF/C pieces in Bass, Humphries, Anthony, etc. are nice, but not necessary to have all of them.

Big offseason for the Celtics. This will set the direction for years to come potentially.[/

Good but I'll tweak it a bit.
1. Get max value for Rondo. He is my favorite player, but not the centerpiece of this team. If he can't be moved for a young asset and/or picks, he could be used to put a team over the top at the deadline.
2. Don't overpay Avery Bradley. He's a good 3rd guard, but I think 6 mil is too steep a price on a rebuilding team. If you can get something through a s&t ( 1st in 16?, defensive minded center?)
3. Get a starting c. Olynyk is a good backup big and sully is too small to play center in the league.
* also bring back scalabrine as an assistant. We need more ginger.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#40 » by Wizenheimer » Mon May 5, 2014 3:54 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Portland is likely to have a very quiet offseason. That said..

1. Resolve the Mo Williams/backup PG/6th man issue. Will Mo opt out? Will we have to spend the MLE to keep him? If so, is there a better option to fill that role.

2. Add backup center depth, particularly someone who can play defense and has size. Leonard might stick around as a 3rd stringer, but its unlikely he will every amount to anything in Portland and he probably needs to be a journeyman and cycled through a couple teams before he gets it together and sticks somewhere.

3. Get some 2ed round picks to use as trade fodder in the future. If it takes cash or guys like Leonard, Claver, Crabbe, Barton, Freeland, etc, explore those options.

1 & 2 are really kind of tied together.

I would hope the MLE is 'earmarked' for a backup big, and that opt-in/opt-out leads either to the non-bird exception or the BAE

I think the most important pivot is Olshey deciding if he's going to keep futilely drilling for potential where it's not, or if he's going to do everything he can to build a contender now

Return to Trades and Transactions