Who Would Trade For Rondo?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,773

Re: Who Would Trade For Rondo? 

Post#21 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:55 pm

bondom34 wrote:I don't want to speak for them, Chuck would know better, but I'd think Dallas would be semi-interested. They could offer a pick after next year, take back a bad contract w/ Rondo, maybe send Calderon to a third team that needs a backup?

I think Dallas would have serious interest in Rondo. But I don't think we'd be willing to eat Wallace do it. Agree our assets are limited for Boston. Could do a Wright/Bass swap for them which would add value, Larkin, give them back their high 2nd this year, future 1st. Given its only for a year of Rondo I think its closer to correct value than Joe thinks, but I wouldnt settle for that if Im Boston.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 481

Post#22 » by bpcox05 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
NBADraft2003 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:Rondo already stated he would not re-sign with Sacramento and thus killing a potential trade they were working on.

I don't know if he would be content in Charlotte.
They seem like a bit of a pretender even with him. At least NOP has Davis to play with.

Actually, it was Toronto who he said he wouldn't resign with. That's why I said maybe because from both sides.

It was Sacramento as well then..

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.s ... 0_103.html
"Source said Sacramento offered Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore and two picks for Rajon Rondo. Rondo wasn’t interested in re-signing with Sacramento.

You do realize that this is a flaky report at best. Don't you? Thomas, McLemore, and two picks for Rondo? Let me break this down for you...

1. Thomas and McLemore do not make enough money to make a trade for Rondo even possible. Therefore that makes this rumor look weak
2. It mentions the Kings offered 2 picks in the deal. The Kings cannot trade their 2014 1st round pick. They can make a trade while they are picking during the draft, but up until that point, that pick is untouchable. Since the Kings' 1st round draft pick is promised to the Cavaliers until 2017 (top 12 protected in 2014 and top 10 protected in 2015-2017), the Kings are only able to offer a 2019 1st rounder and 2021 1st rounder. If by picks they meant 2nd round picks, the Kings have barely any picks to give up. They don't have a 2014 2nd rounder, but they would be able to offer their 2015 2nd rounder (51-60). Their next available 2nd rounder would either be the Knicks 2016 2nd rounder (38-60) or their own 2016 2nd rounder (31-55).

Just from the draft picks alone, the trade would look like this (adding in another player to make the trade even feasible):
Thomas
McLemore
2019 1st round pick
2021 1st round pick
XYZ Player (to make the salaries match)

or

Thomas
McLemore
2015 2nd rounder (51-60)
2016 2nd rounder (31-55)

for

Rondo

As you can see, these trades make no sense. They would not give up Rondo for two 1st round picks 5 and 7 years from now. So again, you can see why this rumor about Rondo not wanting to resign with SAC does not hold any weight with me considering this deal is not even possible to begin with.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#23 » by BadWolf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 pm

bad offers all around ;) (Larkin as the best asset?)
Rondo played really bad this season and he's an expiring
will DA sell low? I'm sure that won't happen
will a team play the price DA wants for this version of Rondo? Not likely
so maybe someone overpays a little and DA lowers the price a bit and they meet in the middle, but I wouldn't count on it
adding Wallace to Rondo is bad assett management, specially as his contract doesn't really hurt Celtics
Rondo for LA pick could be a win win, Celtics draft Exum and BPA with the other pick (Embiid if available, then Wiggins, Parker or maybe Vonleh if they're outside top 5) and a guy like Hood at 18) Then dump Green and S&t Bradley, get a guard and big back and suck one more year

Exum, Stauskas, Hood, Sullinger, Embiid sounds exciting;) just need a little lottery luck

doubt DA goes for a rebuild like that, he'll probably rebuild around Rondo
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#24 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:17 pm

bpcox05 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
NBADraft2003 wrote:Actually, it was Toronto who he said he wouldn't resign with. That's why I said maybe because from both sides.

It was Sacramento as well then..

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.s ... 0_103.html
"Source said Sacramento offered Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore and two picks for Rajon Rondo. Rondo wasn’t interested in re-signing with Sacramento.

You do realize that this is a flaky report at best. Don't you? Thomas, McLemore, and two picks for Rondo? Let me break this down for you...

1. Thomas and McLemore do not make enough money to make a trade for Rondo even possible. Therefore that makes this rumor look weak
2. It mentions the Kings offered 2 picks in the deal. The Kings cannot trade their 2014 1st round pick. They can make a trade while they are picking during the draft, but up until that point, that pick is untouchable. Since the Kings' 1st round draft pick is promised to the Cavaliers until 2017 (top 12 protected in 2014 and top 10 protected in 2015-2017), the Kings are only able to offer a 2019 1st rounder and 2021 1st rounder. If by picks they meant 2nd round picks, the Kings have barely any picks to give up. They don't have a 2014 2nd rounder, but they would be able to offer their 2015 2nd rounder (51-60). Their next available 2nd rounder would either be the Knicks 2016 2nd rounder (38-60) or their own 2016 2nd rounder (31-55).

Just from the draft picks alone, the trade would look like this (adding in another player to make the trade even feasible):
Thomas
McLemore
2019 1st round pick
2021 1st round pick

or

Thomas
McLemore
2015 2nd rounder (51-60)
2016 2nd rounder (31-55)

for

Rondo

As you can see, these trades make no sense. They would not give up Rondo for two 1st round picks 5 and 7 years from now. So again, you can see why this rumor about Rondo not wanting to resign with SAC does not hold any weight with me considering this deal is not even possible to begin with.

Obviously other pieces could have been added like JT/Landry/Outlaw etc. ancillary pieces that weren't worth mentioning as that was the supposed framework and the worthwhile pieces to discuss.

Additionally, the picks were workable. Boston could have sent them a pick in 2014 (the BK #1), 2015 (the LAC #1), 2016 (BK #1) and/or the PHI #1 so that Sacramento could have traded their 2014 at minimum and written the terms of the deal in various ways to make trading picks viable. Or yes.. 2nd rounders could have been involved.

The fact is this report surfaced (from a farily reputable source.. Spears with Yahoo) and the main thing that should be taken away, was that it got serious enough for the C's or Rondo's agent to approach him about it and he specifically said he would not resign there.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Post#25 » by youngcrev » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34 pm

The Lakers seem to be the best fit, particularly with the latest news about them possibly being willing to move their pick. A Nash/pick for Rondo deal ends up being pretty much cap neutral. LA can make a push for a top FA to bring themselves back to contender status while Boston continues to rebuild.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#26 » by teerfour+40LG » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:52 pm

SACRAMENTO.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#27 » by cl2117 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:59 pm

It's hard to try and identify team that would be a good fit for Rondo because you have to balance: will Rondo re-sing? Does the team have enough assets to acquire him? If so are they willing to give those assets up? Will Rondo's unique style mesh with who they currently have?

I think there are a couple decent options:

Detroit- Team up Rondo with Smith (and then pray to god that you can surround them with shooters). If they'd give up their 2014 #1 (probably 8th) and Monroe (sign and trade at something like 4/44), I think it could work.

New York- I can't see a scenario where the Knicks can offer enough to pry away Rondo. They just don't have the assets. They'd have to move Chandler for assets and surrender some future firsts, but I still don't think it can be done.

Dallas- I think they'd have a lot of interest, but again they don't have the assets. They'd need to make some side moves dealing somebody Calderon/Wright to get some additional liquid assets to pair with Larkin the 2016 first, but because it's Cuban so I think there's a chance he could find a way to work it out.

Lakers- Depending on how the ping pong balls fall, Nash plus 4th/5th 2014 pick seems fair.

Minnesota- If they think they're going to lose Love and want to make a big splash they have the assets to make the deal. Rubio/Dieng/Shabazz would be the bulk of the deal, but I don't think Minny fans would be happy blowing up a team moving in the right direction nor would Ainge be looking to turn Rondo into Rubio. But I could see it if the Wolves doing it if they think it could get Love to stay.

Sacramento- Yes, Rondo has apparently said he wouldn't resign, but I doubt that is unchangeable. Pairing Rondo with Boogie (UK connection) would be scary, and the #7 plus the young pieces they have could be enough. I don't like their pieces, but I'm sure there would be other NBA teams willing to get involved.

Atlanta- Not entirely sure if they'd be interested, but if they could reroute Teague to a third team with Boston taking on Schroeder and whatever they get for Teague, I'd love to watch the Hawks play with Rondo, Williams, Korver, Millsap, Horford next year.

Houston- If Parsons is on the table then it's a great fit. Otherwise (and I wouldn't move Parsons if I were them) it would get too messy.

That's just what comes to mind, I'm sure there could be better fits/dark horse teams.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,528

Post#28 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:But the only piece of value they have would be a 2016 #1, which might end up being nothing of value.

Larkin?

And taking back Wallace could be a big deal depending. A first, taking a bad contract, Larkin. I don't know, just a place I could see him go as a FA, just throwing it out there really.

Yeah might be something there.

Larkin, Calderon, Wright, Ellington, $6m TE/Cap, '16 #1, '18 #1
for
Rondo, Wallace

Wright could be helpful with his athleticism and D.
Ellington some expiring SG depth.
Larkin gets a look as a PG

Instead of 2016 and 2018; 2015, 2017 and 2019 could be done too. After all, no reason this isn't done after the draft. Not to say Dallas includes 3 draft picks, but to say there is options.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#29 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:24 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Larkin?

And taking back Wallace could be a big deal depending. A first, taking a bad contract, Larkin. I don't know, just a place I could see him go as a FA, just throwing it out there really.

Yeah might be something there.

for
Rondo, Wallace

Instead of 2016 and 2018; 2015, 2017 and 2019 could be done too. After all, no reason this isn't done after the draft. Not to say Dallas includes 3 draft picks, but to say there is options.

They can't give 15, 14 is OKC's, so it would have to wait.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:25 pm

bondom34 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:Yeah might be something there.

for
Rondo, Wallace

After all, no reason this isn't done after the draft
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#31 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

After all, no reason this isn't done after the draft

Touche
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#32 » by avon barksdale » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:34 pm

I think the market for rondo is small he's coming off a major surgery is an expiring and has personality issues as for the mavs I think we could put a formidable package together and would have to move monta he and rondo are a terrible back court fit id personally pass on a deal I prefer monta at his contract and production we don't have the veteran leadership to handle rondo and he and carlisle would definitely hate each other
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:48 pm

avon barksdale wrote:I think the market for rondo is small he's coming off a major surgery is an expiring and has personality issues as for the mavs I think we could put a formidable package together and would have to move monta he and rondo are a terrible back court fit id personally pass on a deal I prefer monta at his contract and production we don't have the veteran leadership to handle rondo and he and carlisle would definitely hate each other

What would this "formidable" package look like?
Though, I guess I didn't consider moving Ellis as an option.

BTW... his injury was a well over year ago and he's been back for some time. His #'s were in line with his career averages (APG, RPG were up actually) other than FG%, but much of that is because he's been shooting 3 three pointers per game and doesn't have PP or KG to take attention away from him.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,474

Post#34 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:22 pm

Det makes the most sense in a trade in my opinion

Monroe + 8 for Green + Rondo based deal.

Det would just need to sign/trade for a great shooter and would have a well rounded talented team.

Dre
Smith/Green
Green/Singler
Shooter/Pope
Rondo/Jennings

He's friends with Smith and they have Dre as a major foundation piece as well.

If Lakers offered Exum for Rondo, I think Ainge has to do it and embrace a quick rebuild around two top 5 picks and whatever other young pieces they have.

I don't see Rondo being traded though, if he leaves I think it will be in free agency. I'm not a Sixers fan but next offseason they'll have the cap space to sign both Melo and Rondo to fill max deals to add to MCW, Wiggins, Noel, NOLA pick, and their 2015 pick. I don't see how Phillys team isn't attractive to stars next offseason really. Unless ownership flat out says they refuse to pay the tax. Which would just be upsetting considering the position Hinkie has put the team in.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#35 » by avon barksdale » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
avon barksdale wrote:I think the market for rondo is small he's coming off a major surgery is an expiring and has personality issues as for the mavs I think we could put a formidable package together and would have to move monta he and rondo are a terrible back court fit id personally pass on a deal I prefer monta at his contract and production we don't have the veteran leadership to handle rondo and he and carlisle would definitely hate each other

What would this "formidable" package look like?
Though, I guess I didn't consider moving Ellis as an option.

BTW... his injury was a well over year ago and he's been back for some time. His #'s were in line with his career averages (APG, RPG were up actually) other than FG%, but much of that is because he's been shooting 3 three pointers per game and doesn't have PP or KG to take attention away from him.

Idk I don't like rondo here and I'm not convinced he's more than a borderline all star without a hall of fame roster but something around Ellis larkin Wright and a first I don't think he's good enough for any team to absord Gerald Wallace
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#36 » by Smitty731 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:47 pm

There is no PG in the draft I would want over Rondo, unless that package comes with other things to offer.

Any deal bringing back any kind of vets is likely off the table. Why bring on vets if you are trading away Rondo? At this point if Rondo goes, young talent/picks needs to be coming back.

I know this thread is about who would trade for Rondo, but I don't think they deal him. I think they are going to go get pieces to pair with him. When you look at how poor the bottom of the East is, they actually aren't all that far off. Add a good player from the draft, some nice pickups through trades, and this team can be right back in the mix. We didn't see the real Rondo this year. As painful as it was, I watched every game he played. He wasn't going to the basket like he usually does. He usually goes in there with reckless abandon. He picked his spots. I think Rondo full on realized there was no point to taking a beating this year. He's a VERY smart player. Some say he's among the smartest in the league. Next season, if they are competitive, I think you see him back to driving to hoop, playing draw and kick. Hopefully he has worthwhile pieces to kick to!
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,053

Post#37 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:14 am

cl2117 wrote:It's hard to try and identify team that would be a good fit for Rondo because you have to balance: will Rondo re-sing? Does the team have enough assets to acquire him? If so are they willing to give those assets up? Will Rondo's unique style mesh with who they currently have?

Detroit- Team up Rondo with Smith (and then pray to god that you can surround them with shooters). If they'd give up their 2014 #1 (probably 8th) and Monroe (sign and trade at something like 4/44), I think it could work.

New York- I can't see a scenario where the Knicks can offer enough to pry away Rondo. They just don't have the assets. They'd have to move Chandler for assets and surrender some future firsts, but I still don't think it can be done.

Dallas- I think they'd have a lot of interest, but again they don't have the assets. They'd need to make some side moves dealing somebody Calderon/Wright to get some additional liquid assets to pair with Larkin the 2016 first, but because it's Cuban so I think there's a chance he could find a way to work it out.

Lakers- Depending on how the ping pong balls fall, Nash plus 4th/5th 2014 pick seems fair.

Minnesota- If they think they're going to lose Love and want to make a big splash they have the assets to make the deal. Rubio/Dieng/Shabazz would be the bulk of the deal, but I don't think Minny fans would be happy blowing up a team moving in the right direction nor would Ainge be looking to turn Rondo into Rubio. But I could see it if the Wolves doing it if they think it could get Love to stay.

Sacramento- Yes, Rondo has apparently said he wouldn't resign, but I doubt that is unchangeable. Pairing Rondo with Boogie (UK connection) would be scary, and the #7 plus the young pieces they have could be enough. I don't like their pieces, but I'm sure there would be other NBA teams willing to get involved.

Atlanta- Not entirely sure if they'd be interested, but if they could reroute Teague to a third team with Boston taking on Schroeder and whatever they get for Teague, I'd love to watch the Hawks play with Rondo, Williams, Korver, Millsap, Horford next year.

Houston- If Parsons is on the table then it's a great fit. Otherwise (and I wouldn't move Parsons if I were them) it would get too messy.

That's just what comes to mind, I'm sure there could be better fits/dark horse teams.

Why should Detroit give Monroe and the #8? The other offers are pretty much garbage. Nothing mentioned here is close to that.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#38 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:16 am

Rondo is more valuable to Boston because he's more likely to extend with them than anyone else.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#39 » by cl2117 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:02 am

Laimbeer wrote:
cl2117 wrote:It's hard to try and identify team that would be a good fit for Rondo because you have to balance: will Rondo re-sing? Does the team have enough assets to acquire him? If so are they willing to give those assets up? Will Rondo's unique style mesh with who they currently have?

Why should Detroit give Monroe and the #8? The other offers are pretty much garbage. Nothing mentioned here is close to that.

Why should Boston trade Rondo? The only reason is to get good value in return, which is what Monroe and #8 would be. It's not like the Love situation where they need to worry about resigning him, there seems to be mutual interest in him returning longterm and they have the assets to build around him. I agree that a lot of the other deals don't live up to that, but I think some, LA (Nash and LA 2014 first), Sacramento (#7, Mclemore, WIlliams etc.) and Minnesota (Rubio/Dieng/Shabazz etc.) in particular, are similar value.

And even if you think that those deals don't compare to Monroe + #8, there is no reason to trade Rondo other than to get assets in return so they have the leeway to make high demands and not settle.

I'm not saying that Detroit should call offering Monroe and #8 (I personally would hate to see Rondo and Smith paired together because I think it would be a disaster,but there seemed some interest from Detroit and there's the Josh Smith connection), I'm just saying that I think that could be a realistic offer from Detroit (more likely them asking for #17 in 2014 back) and something that Boston would consider/accept.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#40 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:54 am

cl2117 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Why should Boston trade Rondo? The only reason is to get good value in return, which is what Monroe and #8 would be. It's not like the Love situation where they need to worry about resigning him, there seems to be mutual interest in him returning longterm and they have the assets to build around him. I agree that a lot of the other deals don't live up to that, but I think some, LA (Nash and LA 2014 first), Sacramento (#7, Mclemore, WIlliams etc.) and Minnesota (Rubio/Dieng/Shabazz etc.) in particular, are similar value.

And even if you think that those deals don't compare to Monroe + #8, there is no reason to trade Rondo other than to get assets in return so they have the leeway to make high demands and not settle.

I'm not saying that Detroit should call offering Monroe and #8 (I personally would hate to see Rondo and Smith paired together because I think it would be a disaster,but there seemed some interest from Detroit and there's the Josh Smith connection), I'm just saying that I think that could be a realistic offer from Detroit (more likely them asking for #17 in 2014 back) and something that Boston would consider/accept.

I think we're agreeing here. Boston shouldn't feel compelled to move him. Things can turn around quickly enough he could be part of another contender in Boston. And as I mentioned, with Boston having a better chance of extending him than their trade partners, he's worth more to them.

My "why Monroe and the #8" comment wasn't because it's a ridiculous price for Rondo - it's not. I just thought it was well out of line with the other offers, most of which were pretty bad.

Return to Trades and Transactions