Why is Love's trade value so high?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

RR9
Starter
And1: 157

Why is Love's trade value so high? 

Post#1 » by RR9 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:37 am

From reading these boards and the feedback on love trades, people are treating Love like Lebron James. Consider comparing the records of the old Cavs (w/ LBJ) and current Wolves: Cavs actually made playoffs and went to the finals with Lebron. Arguably, Love has better talent surrounding him than Lebron had in Cleveland (Rubio, Pek, Martin, Brewer v Mo Williams, Big Z, JJ Hickson, Donnyall Marshall??? Old Shaq???).

Having said that, Love indeed puts up fantastic numbers, but who else is going to get the ball on that team? By his 3rd year, Lebron led the Cavs into the playoffs. On the otherhand, Love has yet to see the first round of a playoff.

I don't deny his talent, but why is his price equivalent to a franchise player? Is he really considered one only due to his numbers which include 0 playoff series? He's yet to be in any MVP discussions whatsoever either - why? Maybe he has yet to bring Minny up to a level where with him leaving, the team actually takes a "hard hit." That would imply his value to be lower than so-called franchise cornerstone.

Finally, my own speculation is that he'll be a UFA and seems unhappy that he's not winning since, like Lebron, he knows not only that he can't win on his own, but also that he can't lead a team into the playoffs alone.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Re: Why is Love's trade value so high? 

Post#2 » by Maefteda » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:40 am

So high? Utah Jazz traded Deron Williams for Derrick Favors who was a top 3 pick in a good draft, Devin Harris as a replacement PG, and two first round draft picks that ended up being #3 in 2011 and #21 in 2013. This turned into Enes Kanter and #21 was Gorgui Dieng who they used to trade up to get Trey Burke.

The highest value I see for Love is stuff like David Lee's bad contract and Harrison Barnes or Boozer huge 1 year deal along with a Mirotic who doesn't want to come over to the NBA along with #16 and #19 in this draft.

Sure, he still hasn't made the playoffs, but if the Timberwolves are in the east this year, they probably go in the top 6 at least with the easier schedule. The starting 5 this year was magnificent, but with a horrible bench and a coach who didn't manage to adapt enough for the new NBA game in Adelman, it just wasn't a good year regardless.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#3 » by packforfreedom » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:46 pm

RR9 wrote:From reading these boards and the feedback on love trades, people are treating Love like Lebron James. Consider comparing the records of the old Cavs (w/ LBJ) and current Wolves: Cavs actually made playoffs and went to the finals with Lebron. Arguably, Love has better talent surrounding him than Lebron had in Cleveland (Rubio, Pek, Martin, Brewer v Mo Williams, Big Z, JJ Hickson, Donnyall Marshall??? Old Shaq???).

Having said that, Love indeed puts up fantastic numbers, but who else is going to get the ball on that team? By his 3rd year, Lebron led the Cavs into the playoffs. On the otherhand, Love has yet to see the first round of a playoff.

I don't deny his talent, but why is his price equivalent to a franchise player? Is he really considered one only due to his numbers which include 0 playoff series? He's yet to be in any MVP discussions whatsoever either - why? Maybe he has yet to bring Minny up to a level where with him leaving, the team actually takes a "hard hit." That would imply his value to be lower than so-called franchise cornerstone.

Finally, my own speculation is that he'll be a UFA and seems unhappy that he's not winning since, like Lebron, he knows not only that he can't win on his own, but also that he can't lead a team into the playoffs alone.

1. He is so good.

2. Everbody's offering mid-late first round picks und mediocre role players.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#4 » by LloydFree » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Because a lot of people play fantasy basketball.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#5 » by pipfan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:48 pm

I have posted MANY Love to Chi deals. I would send Boozer, Snell, rights to Mirotic (assuming he would go to Minny-he is a top 6 pick in this draft), our pick, the Char pick and the Sac pick

That is a great haul, but Love is a great player and would fit with awesomely with Rose, Butler, Noah and Taj. But Minny would probably wait in hopes of killing him
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,539

Post#6 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Because he's really good.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#7 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:51 pm

pipfan wrote:I have posted MANY Love to Chi deals. I would send Boozer, Snell, rights to Mirotic (assuming he would go to Minny-he is a top 6 pick in this draft), our pick, the Char pick and the Sac pick

That is a great haul, but Love is a great player and would fit with awesomely with Rose, Butler, Noah and Taj. But Minny would probably wait in hopes of killing him

No wonder he wants out of Minny! :o
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#8 » by Niko23 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:07 pm

I posted this months ago but Minny needs to decide what direction they are going assuming they are dealing Love. Are they rebuilding? Or are they retooling? I think the GSW of Lee/Klay for Love/Filler is the best type of deal for them.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Post#9 » by Colbinii » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Niko23 wrote:I posted this months ago but Minny needs to decide what direction they are going assuming they are dealing Love. Are they rebuilding? Or are they retooling? I think the GSW of Lee/Klay for Love/Filler is the best type of deal for them.

If you send Lee to a 3rd team, sure. Lee is a horrific fit next to Pekovic.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#10 » by Niko23 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Niko23 wrote:I posted this months ago but Minny needs to decide what direction they are going assuming they are dealing Love. Are they rebuilding? Or are they retooling? I think the GSW of Lee/Klay for Love/Filler is the best type of deal for them.

Deng S&T to Minny
Pek to Atl
Milsap/Filler to CLE

Dieng plays the C full time.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#11 » by BossHoggin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Niko23 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Deng S&T to Minny
Pek to Atl
Milsap/Filler to CLE

pass
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#12 » by loserX » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:52 pm

1) He's an elite player; I'm not going to get into a debate where he ranks but surely the consensus is somewhere in the top 10. (He has flaws in his game but everyone outside the top 3 or 4 does.) Those are worth a lot, in part because they so rarely become available.

2) I don't think anyone is treating him like LeBron James.
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#13 » by JDLAW » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:35 pm

I do not put much stock in how people on message boards value a player. I probably undervalue Love a little, but part of it is because so many overvalue him. I happen to weigh wins and playoffs higher than the stats. Anyway, it is my nature as a lawyer to argue the opposite position; especially when opposite position is so over the top.

Love's trade value is almost indeterminable because his intentions are unknown. He is not going to extend his present contract because it is to his financial advantage to let it run and sign a new contract. He has been coy about his intentions for the future; and everyone with an understanding of how free agency works understands that his trade value will vary greatly depending on his intentions. If he is determined to become a free agent after this, year as he says he is, his value will be much lower than it would be if he opts in because of the risk of a one-year rental. If the T-Wolves remain a possibility for a new contract, his trade value goes way up because of the advantage the T-Wolves have in retaining him and the value the franchise places on him. Because of the uncertainty and depending on a poster's point of view, some will demand too much and some will offer too little. Few will be able to peg his value accurately.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#14 » by Golabki » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 pm

RR9 wrote:From reading these boards and the feedback on love trades, people are treating Love like Lebron James. Consider comparing the records of the old Cavs (w/ LBJ) and current Wolves: Cavs actually made playoffs and went to the finals with Lebron. Arguably, Love has better talent surrounding him than Lebron had in Cleveland (Rubio, Pek, Martin, Brewer v Mo Williams, Big Z, JJ Hickson, Donnyall Marshall??? Old Shaq???).

I don't think anyone thinks Love is as good as LeBron. But I do think he's a top 10 players in the NBA.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#15 » by Colbinii » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Niko23 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Deng S&T to Minny
Pek to Atl
Milsap/Filler to CLE

DIeng plays well for a month and he make him our starter? What are the details on the S+T? 2 for 18 or 4 for 40? There is a huge difference in value there.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#16 » by Colbinii » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Golabki wrote:I don't think anyone thinks Love is as good as LeBron. But I do think he's a top 10 players in the NBA.

In terms of impact, you could make the argument he has been the 3rd most impactful player this season.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#17 » by Narf » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:56 am

Man, you guys are funny.

Love > Klay, who is in the last year of his contract too.
A flaming bag of poo > Lee, who has one of the worst contracts in the NBA
That is to say, Lee has negative value.
Not wanting those 2 for Love without more value is pretty obvious.

Better to trade Love for an expiring and a pick, then offer Klay the max next year. Sure, it'll be overpaying but it's still better than Klay + Lee's horrible contract.

Why is that not understood?

#8 + overpaid role players =/= Kevin Love too.

A bunch of mid-late 1st round (and 2nd round picks) are not worth Love either.

Start with a young borderline all star and go from there. Klay is a fine start, but you have to add value to that not take value away.
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#18 » by JDLAW » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:07 am

Colbinii wrote:
Golabki wrote:I don't think anyone thinks Love is as good as LeBron. But I do think he's a top 10 players in the NBA.

In terms of impact, you could make the argument he has been the 3rd most impactful player this season.

Impact on what? The T-Wolves went 40 - 42. All of those wonderful stats weren't enough of an impact to get to .500 muck less make the playoffs.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#19 » by BossHoggin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:11 am

Narf wrote:Man, you guys are funny.

Love > Klay, who is in the last year of his contract too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent_(NBA)
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#20 » by mlloyd10 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:42 am

Just curious. Bucks pick(assuming #1) for love/wolves pick? Value wise

Sent from my SPH-L710 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to Trades and Transactions