Boston - Minnesota (Love to Boston)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

CBA
Bench Warmer
And1: 378

Re: Boston - Minnesota (Love to Boston) 

Post#21 » by CBA » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:54 pm

LarsV8 wrote:
Narf wrote:
Now compare those 3 deals to the crap people are offering for Love here. Don't know why people are delusional in thinking they're getting Love for less than those 3.

Start with a young borderline all star
Add a good role player
Add an unprotected pick (or 2)
And that's what Love is going to get when he's traded.

This isn't hard to understand. Superstars just entering their prime get more value than anyone else in trade. And that is what Love will get in return.

Yikes, this won't end well.

Actually, that's not out of the realm of possibility depending on what he means exactly by a young borderline all star. Klay, Draymond, and a couple picks would be a reasonable trade, for example. And the Warriors happen to be, along with Chicago and Houston, the most likely options for a Love trade.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#22 » by cl2117 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Narf wrote:
LApwnd wrote:Bos does have the asset for Love IMO IF they add that lotto pick. If Minn doens't want salary back they could just take majority of Bos young players like Kelly or Sullinger or maybe even both and the lotto pick to go with Clipps pick...especially with OP premise that Love is extended already.

Agreed. They have the value, and if Love said he was willing to sign an extension there they'd pay it.

The thing is the Wolves have no incentive to trade Love to a team Love wouldn't sign an extension in. Because that team has no incentive to cough up fair value without it. I don't think Love would like to go to Boston, when they are behind the Wolves in the rebuilding process. It's more likely Minnesota throws a pick, Budinger, and an expiring in for Jeff Green then Love agrees to sign an extension with Boston.

If Boston were able to acquire Love and then make a move to get a defensive center to pair him with (Asik/Sanders/Hibbert), I'd say they'd be ahead of Minny in terms of achieving contender status.

Take your criteria to get Love:
Start with a young borderline all star: Boston 2014 first (#5),since they don't have anyone who fits the description and that pick has arguably similar value.
Add a good role player: Sullinger/Bradley/Green pick one
Add an unprotected pick (or 2): Brooklyn 2016/2017/2018 firsts and all future Boston firsts (pick 2, all unprotected)

More to be added from Boston depending on whether Minny eats Gerald Wallace's contract and who else comes over from Minny (Martin/Brewer/Buddinger). I'd push to dump Wallace, send Sullinger and filler, bring back Martin and Brewer (would obviously throw in another first plus possibly the Philly 2015 first, which is basically 2 seconds in order to do it, but that's negotiable).

Assume they move say Bogans and some combination of picks to get Asik (I think a reasonable assumption, given past talks, their desire to move salary (waiving Bogans) and they resign Bradley. The deal looks something like: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kpndy79

And Boston has a roster of:

Asik
Love/Bass/Olynyk
Green/Brewer
Bradley/Martin
Rondo/Pressey

And they still have some room to play around and other assets to deal. I'd take that team over the current Wolves situation if I were Love. Obviously a lot of assumptions in there, but they seem reasonable enough.

The problem I see with it is that it doesn't keep the Wolves competitive out West, which seems to be one of the key criterea of a Love trade for Minnesota fans.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#23 » by Xman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Quote: Start with a young borderline all star
Add a good role player
Add an unprotected pick (or 2)
And that's what Love is going to get when he's traded.

With new rules - he will just walk before they get that. Minny will probably wait this year hoping he will stay and end up with nothing when he heads to the Lakers (and I hate the Lakers).

If Minny gets scared of him leaving - only a couple of team are really in the hunt; NY, LA, Miami, Hou and maybe Boston.
But, how is it going to go down?
80% chance - Minny keeps quite and prays - Love probably walks when contract is up. To be known as the "Minny" gambit.
10% chance - - If Love says I am going to LA (or other certain team) the "Melo" gambit - then he has almost no trade value (LA will not give much since he is coming anyway and he is a one year rental to others).
10% chance - - Other scenario is Minny says commit or we are dealing you and Love refuses to commit (the "Harden" gambit). Then, he will be shopped but the only teams in the race are the few above (ones he has told he would sign with).

What do the preferred teams have to offer:
- LAL - cap space, a future #1 in 3-5 years or so, whatever guy they pick this year
- NY - no cap space, a future #1 in 3-5 years or so, Shump and THard
- Miami - super low picks and nothing else
- Houston - Asik, Lin, Motie, TJones, mediocre to low picks
- Boston - ton of picks and several young prospects (but are they really on his list??)

My first choice is for him to go to Houston. But, every deal I see means Parsons goes to Minny which really sucks. Otherwise, Rox offer up all they can to out KLove with Harden/Howard/Parsons.

But, my second choice is a Boston deal.
Boston could keep Rondo and add Love. That is a strong base. Add in that #1 pick.

Assuming KLove says he is heading to Boston - period.
- Minny will want to clear out a few guys: KMart (6.8, 7, 7.4), Budinger (5, 5), KLove 15.8 = 27.6 mil
- Minny may also want to send Pek due to salary 12.1 - would take JGreen to fill SF and Bass for expiring pf.
- Boston will send Bogans (can be cut), Anthony 3.8 exp., Sully 1.4, Olynck 2, Bradley 3.6
in this deal Minny dumps the long salaries for a clear cap and young prospects (sully/Olynck/Dieng) combo is solid.
- Part of this deal (or separate) would be GWallace, 2015 philly 1st owned by Boston, Nets 1st in 2018. this part could be carved out to go to Philly also.
- Minny would also get draft picks from Boston - #17, #27, 2016 nets 1st and 2015 LAC #1. Also a 2016 #1 with top 10 protection which would convert to 2 seconds if protected.

Net result:
Boston
pg - Rondo (13)
sg - KMart (6.8, 7, 7.4)
sf - (hope would be to land 1st pick for JParker), Budinger (5, 5)
pf - KLove (15.8 exp.)
c - Pekovic (12.1, 12.1, 12.1, 12.1,
starters=52.7 mil +3 in holds - leaves around 8 mil for the pick it keeps and/or free agents.

Minny
pg - Rubio (5), Barea (4.5 exp)
sg - Bradley (3.6), Shved (3.2, option)
sf - JGreen (9.2, 9.2), CBrewer (4.7, 4.9), Shabazz (2, option), GWallace (10.1, 10.1)
pf - Sully (1.4, option), Bass (7 exp), Moute (4.3 exp)
c - Diengg(1.4, Option), Olynck (2, option), Anthony (3 exp.), Turiaf (1.6 exp)
+picks - 14, 17, 27, 40, 44, 53
future - 2016 nets 1st and 2015 LAC #1, 2015 philly 1st owned by Boston, Nets 1st in 2018, Boston #1 in 2016 (top 10 protection converts to 2 seconds if not used).

Cap would be clear except for the SFs - Green, Brewer and Wallace after this year plus options. Lots of expiring contracts and picks to deal (some need to be dealt due to roster numbers).

For Boston, this is easy. The rebuild is done and it is on.
For Minny - this is the best available if Love says he is leaving. Unless Boston will throw in the high #1 pick - but I think they refuse.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#24 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Narf wrote:
LApwnd wrote:Bos does have the asset for Love IMO IF they add that lotto pick. If Minn doens't want salary back they could just take majority of Bos young players like Kelly or Sullinger or maybe even both and the lotto pick to go with Clipps pick...especially with OP premise that Love is extended already.

Agreed. They have the value, and if Love said he was willing to sign an extension there they'd pay it.

The thing is the Wolves have no incentive to trade Love to a team Love wouldn't sign an extension in. Because that team has no incentive to cough up fair value without it. I don't think Love would like to go to Boston, when they are behind the Wolves in the rebuilding process. It's more likely Minnesota throws a pick, Budinger, and an expiring in for Jeff Green then Love agrees to sign an extension with Boston.

They are behind Minny in the rebuilding process because they started a rebuild one season ago and Minny isn't rebuilding. They have been building around Love for several years now.

I think Love would "love" Boston since
a. They play in the East and he commented how easy it is to play in the East. He would be almost assured of making the playoffs immediately and has a very good chance at home court overnight
b. he's praised Stevens and the Organization calling it a very attractive destination very recently. He also said this not long after dissing Brooklyn and not given them any praise, and he's not the type of guy who feels a need to kiss butt, much like his diss of the Lakers.
c. Boston has a long history of winning, including a recent one that includes Rondo and Ainge.
d. Boston has the assets.. draft picks, young talent, expiring contracts, large TE to get good quickly.

There is not a team in the league that has more draft picks than Boston does. 10 in the next 5 drafts including 4 unprotected third party ones, a top 5 one coming up in a very hyped draft and all their future 1sts.

They also have a GM with a history of making bold moves, so I think Ainge would out bid the competition for Love if he was given the chance.

I also think Minny would "love" to deal with Boston given
a. Boston can offer the most of any team
b. most star players are traded out of conference

Two Part Trade
Budinger, Brewer
for
$10m PP TPE (assuming Minny wants to shed long term salary these two fit almost perfectly in the TE)
PHI #1
$3m Cash

Love, Martin
for
Green, Bass, Anthony, $2.2m cap
+
2014 #1 (#5 right now)
'15 LAC #1

(I did not include expiring contacts like Barrea, Shved, LRMM in either trade as I figured Minny would want to have them, but substitute them as needed, I don't think Boston would mind)

If there is an offer out there that can trump that (not sure there is), Boston would dangle another pick if needed. Also, Boston can make this offer the night of the draft, meaning Minny can draft who they want with the Boston pick and make their pick based upon their new direction. They also get to make all moves in free agency with the new team in mind. If they want to wait until closer to the deadline, I think Boston could still make a competitive offer, but many of those advantages are gone as would be the $10m TE they have from the KG/PP trade with Brooklyn.

Minny
Rubio / Barrea*
Mohammed / Shved*
Green / LRMM*
Bass* / Turiaff*
Pekovic / Dieng / Anthony*
+
LAC #1
PHI #1

*Expiring

A host of options going forward.
They could convert some of those assets now if they want to try for the playoffs, or go for a top pick in 2015 and carefully build around Rubio. And as stated they could elect to keep win now pieces like Martin and Brewer and send out players like LRMM, Barrea and Shved if they were inclined to do so. Maybe a third team (or more) is brought into the picture to help bring in more now pieces. Personally I would let all the players come off the books and go into 2015 with a top 5 pick (as they would be guaranteed to keep it) and about $40m in payroll/$22m+ in cap space (assuming Rubio gets about $10m/year), but I know how hard that would be to sell to the fans.

Minny
Rubio
Mohammed
Green
Dieng
Pekovic
+
'14 #5
'14 #13
'15 top 5 pick
'15 LAC #1
PHI #1

Boston
Rondo / Pressy**
Martin / Bogans** / Babb**
Brewer / Budinger / Wallace / C.Johnson**
Love / Sullinger
Olynyk / Faverani
+
All future picks of their own
'16 + '18 BK #1

FAs - Bradley, Bayless, Humphries

Has a lot of work to do, but also has a lot of pieces left to work with.

I would look to package Bogans (who can be waived right away for instant cap space) to Houston along with a pick for Asik, so that Houston can pursue Anthony either with cap space or assets in trade.

Next I would move Wallace with Olynyk for a contributor like Jason Thompson and Travis Outlaw. Wallace has a history in Sacramento and Olynyk could be interesting fit next to Cousins.I would see if Sacramento would add slightly more like a second rounder or two as Wallace now only has two years left and Olynyk is pretty good prospect.

Resign Bradley
Waive the non-guaranteed guys
Sign a veteran PG like Brooks and/or Udrih
Draft BPA at #18

'14-15 CELTICS
Rondo / A.Brooks / Udrih
Martin / Bradley
Brewer / Budinger / Outlaw
Love / Sullinger
Asik / Thompson / Faverani
+

~$76m in salary assuming Bradley gets a deal starting around $6m.

With the notion that the starters for Minny are an above average group/near elite, you keep 3/5 of them and add a better fitting Center, a better overall PG and have a much better bench with Brooks, Bradley, Sullinger and Thompson. IMO that is the third best team in the East overnight. If Miami is disbanded due to free agency and/or Indy continues their descent they could be even better. At minimum they are in the playoffs and fighting for home-court year 1.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.

Return to Trades and Transactions