Chicago Bulls Cap Space

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Chicago Bulls Cap Space 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:32 am

Updated 1/10 with Nazr Mohammed and E'Twaun Moore becoming fully guaranteed.

Current Cap Space: None. $4,367,537.00 over
Maximum Cap Space: None. $4,367,537.00 over (if all options/guarantees were not picked up, all FAs renounced, no draft picks were to be signed this season, and all Exceptions were renounced)
Luxury Tax Space: $9,396,463.00
Tax Apron Space: $13,396,463.00
2015-2016 Maximum Cap Space: $3,714,333.00

How I got there:

Guaranteed Contracts (14): Cameron Bairstow, Aaron Brooks, Jimmy Butler, Mike Dunleavy, Pau Gasol, Taj Gibson, Kirk Hinrich, Doug McDermott, Nikola Mirotic, Nazr Mohammed, E'Twaun Moore, Joakim Noah, Derrick Rose, Tony Snell

Partial/Non-Guaranteed Contracts Kept to date (0): None

Carried Money (1): Richard Hamilton ($333,334.00)

FA Cap Holds (0): None

Draft Pick Holds (0): None

Current Exceptions: Room Exception used on Kirk Hinrich. No BAE due to being under the Cap. No TPEs.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,480

Re: Chicago Bulls "Real" Cap Space 

Post#2 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:45 am

Well.. couple things..

I'm 100% if the Bulls were trying to be free agent players, they would definitely renounce Hinrich, Augustin, or Jimmer.

I also assume Greg Smith's contract was relatively small - say 1 mil.. The extra 180K cap hold to add a young talented player - seems worth it.

So I got.. 51.046 if amnestying Boozer and considering the draft pick cap holds *not Mirotic* and the other 3 minimum holds necessary.

That's projected 12 million cap space. Finding Dunleavy a new home makes that 15-16 million in cap space..

Mirotic's cap hold doesn't exist though as he stayed overseas long enough to get out of his rookie deal, he will probably sign a deal in the 5-8 million dollar range.. Is the general opinion..

If that's not true about his contract, then Chicago is in a much better situation than anyone on this board is acting.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:28 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Well.. couple things..

I'm 100% if the Bulls were trying to be free agent players, they would definitely renounce Hinrich, Augustin, or Jimmer.

I also assume Greg Smith's contract was relatively small - say 1 mil.. The extra 180K cap hold to add a young talented player - seems worth it.

So I got.. 51.046 if amnestying Boozer and considering the draft pick cap holds *not Mirotic* and the other 3 minimum holds necessary.

That's projected 12 million cap space. Finding Dunleavy a new home makes that 15-16 million in cap space..

Mirotic's cap hold doesn't exist though as he stayed overseas long enough to get out of his rookie deal, he will probably sign a deal in the 5-8 million dollar range.. Is the general opinion..

If that's not true about his contract, then Chicago is in a much better situation than anyone on this board is acting.

Greg Smith was given 1.3 million for next year, so slightly above what you guessed.

Mirotic's cap hold does still exist. They just don't have to give him that deal, since it has gone past the time. But the cap hold does still exist. For example, the Magic still carry a cap hold for Fran Vazquez, even though he was drafted years ago.

Regardless, even dropping everything and using the Amnesty on Boozer, still would only get them to around 13.5 or so in space. Moving Dunleavy would free up another 3.3 in space. So, in your scenario, they get to 16.8 in space. Still not enough to sign Anthony or even absorb him in a deal without sending out some other salary. It can for sure be done, but not easily, as some are proposing.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#4 » by LApwnd » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:50 pm

I'd gladly like to see LA absorb Boozer/Dunleavy for both 1st Chi owns :)....doesnt that clear up 18+ mill or so?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Smitty731 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:17 pm

LApwnd wrote:I'd gladly like to see LA absorb Boozer/Dunleavy for both 1st Chi owns :)....doesnt that clear up 18+ mill or so?

Ha! Actually they combine for over 20 million, so that clears up quite a bit. :D

Not sure the Bulls are quite there yet, but it is something I could see them doing. "You take our contract we don't want, and we'll toss in a pick as well." Seems to be a somewhat viable strategy.
Hedda Gambler
Bench Warmer
And1: 387

Post#6 » by Hedda Gambler » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:23 pm

I'd take Boozer back to Utah for those picks. Philly would proably listen to offers too.
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#7 » by sportscrazy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Let's say the Bulls amnesty Boozer, sign Mirotic and trade Dunleavy for cap space.. How much cap space could they offer to Carmelo Anthony versus the MAX 'Melo could get from any non-Knicks team?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:04 pm

sportscrazy wrote:Let's say the Bulls amnesty Boozer, sign Mirotic and trade Dunleavy for cap space.. How much cap space could they offer to Carmelo Anthony versus the MAX 'Melo could get from any non-Knicks team?

This really depends on what they sign Mitoric for. They are no longer bound to give him the rookie scale deal, I don't believe. I can't remember exactly what year he was drafted in, and I don't have time to look it up at the moment.

Let's assume he gets something like 3 million or so per year to start. This is just a guess. He, in effect, balances off deal Dunleavy. If they take away Boozer from the max space they have at that point, the max for Carmelo would be somewhere around 10-13 million, depending on what happens with their exceptions. Definiely not enough for him to consider signing there.

I'm doing this on the fly, so someone else can check my math, but I think that seems about right.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#9 » by sportscrazy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:07 pm

So essentially they would need to outright salary dump Taj Gibson to get Anthony?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Hedda Gambler
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by Hedda Gambler » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:11 pm

sportscrazy wrote:So essentially they would need to outright salary dump Taj Gibson to get Anthony?

S&t with NY with Boozer, Gibson and maybe a pick being given up for Melo?
sportscrazy
General Manager

Re: Chicago Bulls 

Post#11 » by sportscrazy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Hedda Gambler wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:So essentially they would need to outright salary dump Taj Gibson to get Anthony?

S&t with NY with Boozer, Gibson and maybe a pick being given up for Melo?

I think if Melo left the Knicks would rebuild for a year meaning the Bulls would be better served amnestying Boozer and sending Gibson with Dunleavy to a team like Philly for cap space and future assets that don't count against the cap.
Hedda Gambler
Bench Warmer

Re: Chicago Bulls 

Post#12 » by Hedda Gambler » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:59 am

sportscrazy wrote:I think if Melo left the Knicks would rebuild for a year meaning the Bulls would be better served amnestying Boozer and sending Gibson with Dunleavy to a team like Philly for cap space and future assets that don't count against the cap.

This one I really don`t get. How would the Bulls be better served with paying Boozer to not play for them if they could get Melo for the same players they would be giving up? If what you are trying to say is that NY will ask too much in return for an S&T, I get it, but if not, I really can`t see the pros here for Chicago.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,480

Post#13 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:29 am

Hedda Gambler wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:I think if Melo left the Knicks would rebuild for a year meaning the Bulls would be better served amnestying Boozer and sending Gibson with Dunleavy to a team like Philly for cap space and future assets that don't count against the cap.

This one I really don`t get. How would the Bulls be better served with paying Boozer to not play for them if they could get Melo for the same players they would be giving up? If what you are trying to say is that NY will ask too much in return for an S&T, I get it, but if not, I really can`t see the pros here for Chicago.

I think Chicago has to do the sign and trade route.

They could -

Amnesty Boozer
Trade Gibson and Dunleavy for a "Zeller" (Bobcats) level player and hope he develops
Then keep their 2 picks and sign Melo.
That keeps them out of the tax for a few years while still being a clear contender..but then they can't bring Mirotic over til next season..

Or

They trade Boozer, Snell, the two 2014 firsts, and a 2015 first for a resigned Melo.. And keep Taj.. And use the MLE for Mirotic..

Noah/Taj
Taj/Mirotic
Melo/Dunleavy
Butler/
Rose

Or maybe the third option for Chicago is..

Amnestying Boozer..

Trading Taj, Dunleavy, and more if necessary for Zeller
Trading 16 and/or 19, and rights to Mirotic for 5th-6th pick..

Signing Melo to a full max..

Noah
Zeller/Randle
Melo
Butler
Rose

Would be a very scary team...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#14 » by sportscrazy » Mon May 26, 2014 9:04 am

If the Bulls amnesty Boozer and dump Dunleavy, but Melo goes to Houston.. How would they spend their cap space?
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#15 » by mysticbb » Mon May 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Greg Smith was given 1.3 million for next year, so slightly above what you guessed.

It is a minimum contract and counts with $948,163 against the cap. And that is guaranteed, because he is supposed to play next season for the Bulls.

Smitty731 wrote:Mirotic's cap hold does still exist. They just don't have to give him that deal, since it has gone past the time. But the cap hold does still exist. For example, the Magic still carry a cap hold for Fran Vazquez, even though he was drafted years ago.

The cap hold can be removed, if the Bulls and Mirotic announce not to sign a deal within the season.

Smitty731 wrote:Regardless, even dropping everything and using the Amnesty on Boozer, still would only get them to around 13.5 or so in space. Moving Dunleavy would free up another 3.3 in space. So, in your scenario, they get to 16.8 in space. Still not enough to sign Anthony or even absorb him in a deal without sending out some other salary. It can for sure be done, but not easily, as some are proposing.

The idea to sign Anthony in FA would be based upon trading Dunleavy and Gibson for capspace, which is not only entirely possible, but there will be a couple of teams offering pick(s) in such a scenario.

Bulls could make the room for Anthony, but it is more likely that Anthony would join the Bulls in a S&T.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#16 » by Leto » Mon May 26, 2014 1:41 pm

sportscrazy wrote:If the Bulls amnesty Boozer and dump Dunleavy, but Melo goes to Houston.. How would they spend their cap space?

They'll know if Melo is coming before the amnesty period begins. I think they can negotiate with Melo after July 1st, but amnesty starts July 10th--I think.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Smitty731 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:46 pm

You are right on Smith. Since I wrote this, more has come out on his deal and he will be at $948,163.00 (the 2 year minimum for 2014-2015) next year. I'll get to that in the next update.

I know they can agree to remove the Mirotic hold, but everyone seems to think he is a lock to come over this year. So, once he is signed, the hold is removed. But I think he ultimately signs for more than his rookie scale hold, making the amount actually more than his hold amount.

And, finally, I think we are in agreement on what it would take to get Anthony. I've seen far too many people propose that the Bulls use the amnesty on Boozer and then they can immediately sign Anthony. Not for the money he will be looking for!
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#18 » by mysticbb » Mon May 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Smitty731 wrote: I've seen far too many people propose that the Bulls use the amnesty on Boozer and then they can immediately sign Anthony. Not for the money he will be looking for

No idea where you have seen that, but I'm pretty sure the people on the Bulls board know exactly that using the amnesty on Boozer will not create the necessary capspace to sign Anthony. Anyway, the most likely scenario will be a S&T rather than using capspace to sign him ... and I personaly believe that the most likely scenario for Anthony will be signing a 5yr max contract with the Knicks ... all the reasons he wanted to go to the Knicks are still in place.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#19 » by sportscrazy » Mon May 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Leto wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:If the Bulls amnesty Boozer and dump Dunleavy, but Melo goes to Houston.. How would they spend their cap space?

They'll know if Melo is coming before the amnesty period begins. I think they can negotiate with Melo after July 1st, but amnesty starts July 10th--I think.

So if they don't sign Melo, they'll keep Boozer?
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#20 » by Leto » Mon May 26, 2014 2:49 pm

sportscrazy wrote:
Leto wrote:

So if they don't sign Melo, they'll keep Boozer?

I think if discussions fall apart with melo, they'll still either trade Boozer or amnesty him and maybe try to go after Pau Gasol or something.

I think the only way the Bulls get Melo is in a S&T with Boozer going to NY. I don't think they'll send Gibson or Butler in the deal. But, I do think they'll offer Mirotic, both of this years picks and possibly a future 1st along with Boozer's expiring.

Return to Trades and Transactions