Lakers trade #6 for...

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

1AndDone
Sophomore
And1: 5

Re: Lakers trade #6 for... 

Post#21 » by 1AndDone » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 am

rugbyrugger23 wrote:Horford.

Ideally a third team gets Nash and Atlanta gets a center.

Atlanta gets Lakers pick and a true center for Horford.

Gasol (re-signed 2 year deal)
Horford
?
Bryant
?

Decent start before free agency kicks in.

Perfect scenario for the Lakers.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#22 » by TGW » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:57 am

Atlanta ain't trading Horford for the #6 pick.

Ridiculous.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,882

Post#23 » by Sofia » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:37 am

Horford
?
Bryant
?

Who's giving up a 'true centre' for the rights to poke Steve Nash's corpse for 12 months?
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
1AndDone
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#24 » by 1AndDone » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 am

TGW wrote:Atlanta ain't trading Horford for the #6 pick.

Ridiculous.

Philly traded Jrue Holiday, who was coming off an all star season, for #6 last year and #10 this year. Not that far off from a value standpoint and Horford is coming off an injury. Hawks have a nice team so it's a tough sell for them. It would have to be a money consideration.
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#25 » by Lindecision » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:45 am

Love is going to be a Laker after next season anyway. No point trading their pick for him.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#26 » by Coxy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:12 am

H Barnes + D Green for #6.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#27 » by jwise44 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:31 am

1AndDone wrote:Taj Gibson and Jimmy Butler? Chicago would likely target Smart or Vonleh with #6.

Really?

Vonleh hopes to be as good as taj is and buckets is more proven for a winning team than smart....and I assume the bulls are holding on to hope that d rose can come back (personally I think he's done as a great player after 3 seasons missing majority of the season, though)
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#28 » by rugbyrugger23 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:57 am

Mats272-GOAT wrote:

Horford
?
Bryant
?

Who's giving up a 'true centre' for the rights to poke Steve Nash's corpse for 12 months?

Really?

Nash has said he will retire if traded anywhere out of LA.

So not trading for Nash, rather 9+ mil in cap relief. And that is attractive to many teams.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#29 » by old rem » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:Rondo, in my opinion, is worth more than 6 in this draft. He's still fairly young, on a good deal, and without him it means the Celtics are in a full scale rebuild. I don't think they are going that route. I think they are going to try to add pieces and contend.

he has a year left on his deal. Extended you can make that argument, but Im not sure he's even worth the #6 if there's a risk he walks and I always value veterans more than picks.

Factor in that Rondo had a major injury, has a big contract...is a great passer but weak scorer.. Do the Lakers want to lose the cap space and the pick?
CENSORED... No comment.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#30 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Coxy wrote:H Barnes + D Green for #6.

In Warriors dreams maybe..... I like Green, but he has essentially nil trade value and Barnes isnt close to worth the 6.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#31 » by M-C-G » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:19 pm

hege53190 wrote:Posted this on the Bucks board:

Bucks trade: Knight, Henson, Middleton, Wolters, Raduljica, #31, #36, 2015#1 top 10 protected

LA trades: Nash, #6

Before you guys trash it LA right now has 4 players under contract for 36.5 after the draft they will have 5 players for 40.5. They don't have to just fill out the roster they need to fill out the roster with guys that can play.

After this trade they have 10 guys under contract for about $34.5 leaving 28.5 million for 2 players.

Say they go after Anthony starting at 20 million and Gortat at 8.5 million.

A lineup of
Marshall
Kobe
Carmelo
Henson
Gortat

Bench of
Knight
Middleton
Wolters
Raduljica
Sacre

actually gives them a chance to compete next year. And if Kobe comes back healthy, a darkhorse shot at the title. One thing is for sure. If LA is planning on competing next year they need to get some talented cheap talent.

I hate this deal as a Bucks fan, I get what you are going for, I've proposed something similar but;
Jrue Holiday (better than Knight but similar raw stats minus assist per game) went for #6 and #10 pick alone
In other trade threads Henson has roughly been worth a pick in the 7-12 range as long as a bad contract is coming back with it
Middleton is a nice player, mostly an unknown, but a guy that has more real life value than realgm trade value

Then Wolters, Miroslva and 2 2nd rounders in a deep draft, plus a first next year that will very realistically fall in the 10-15 range....

So what does that get you?
If Embiid, Exum, Parker, Wiggins, Smart go 1-5,

Vonleh, Randle, Gordon realistically are the pick...so to summarize;

Bucks trade: Knight (22 yr 18pt 5 ast), Henson (23 yr 11 pt 7rb 1.7blk, 54% FG), Middleton (22 41% 3pt), Wolters, Raduljica, #31, #36, 2015#1 top 10 protected for Vonleh, Randle or Gordon????

No way in hell...That is an obscenely bad deal for Milwaukee...Much better trying to put two smaller trades together and move up. If one of Smart or Exum fell to 6th pick, it would be much more livable, but I think still overkill.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,794

Post#32 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Keep on the Cali Kush :lol:

Don't think Barnes would even net a lottery pick this year. I certainly wouldn't trade #13 for it.

Lindecision wrote:Love is going to be a Laker after next season anyway. No point trading their pick for him.

It isn't for certain. This makes it more certain and increases your odds of him going/staying in LA.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#33 » by LApwnd » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:35 pm

Atl-6th pick, Nash
LAL-Milsap, Lou Williams, 15th pick

Atl-hopefully this is some backdoor agreement that Nash gets bought out, LA adds cash if need be to facilitate the buy out. Atl gets 6th pick an alleivates salaries, per their GM they did not care to be 8th anyways, so this trade either gets them closer to being more competitve then 8th if that pick is a good one and or they use free'd up cap wisely.

LAL-both Milsap and Williams expire after next season thus not effecting their 2015 cap, both player could help keep la relatively competitive. I dont really know what to do with 15th pick but could be used for another trade to aborb more contracts and move up in draft with it.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,745

Post#34 » by gswhoops » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:35 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

In Warriors dreams maybe..... I like Green, but he has essentially nil trade value and Barnes isnt close to worth the 6.

Not defending the original offer, but care to defend the bold?

Seems to me like a young guy on a dirt cheap salary who can defend multiple positions and is basically an ideal 6th/7th man might have a decent bit of value if the W's were inclined to move him.
Texas Chuck

Post#35 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:40 pm

He's not a 6th or 7th man. He's a 9th or 10th man on a good team. He's PF version of Jae Crowder except Crowder is less useless offensively. Both look good in some statistical measures because they are good defenders who come into replace poor defenders. By nil I mean he could bring back a late 2 maybe or something. He's certainly not enough to get Barnes value up to number 6.

What do you think he's worth?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#36 » by Knosh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:08 pm

I feel like there are pretty big differences on how good teams look depthwise. A 9th or 10th man on a good team with depth is easily a 6th or 7th man on a equally good team that is build more top heavy.
Like who is the 6th/7th best guy on the Heat? Who is the 9th/10th best guy on the Spurs?

Is "some statistical measures" referring to raw on/off numbers? Because Crowder and Green still look pretty good if you look at various adjusted +/- numbers.

I do think the Crowder comparison makes some sense, but feel like both of them should be worth more than a late 2nd.
Texas Chuck

Post#37 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Knosh,

I think both guys have positive impact on the game. But I think a lot of that has to do with being put into the best possible situation to succeed playing against mostly backups. It doesnt hurt that both guys make very little. By the same token, they simply don't have much trade value because you could go sign a Dahntay or a DeShawn or a number of other veteran street FAs who could come in and defend and scrap in limited minutes.

Maybe a late 2 is too low, but I doubt they could get a pick above 40. Those picks are too valuable because those players would make even less and you could control them for longer if you chose to.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,745

Post#38 » by gswhoops » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:He's not a 6th or 7th man. He's a 9th or 10th man on a good team. He's PF version of Jae Crowder except Crowder is less useless offensively. Both look good in some statistical measures because they are good defenders who come into replace poor defenders. By nil I mean he could bring back a late 2 maybe or something. He's certainly not enough to get Barnes value up to number 6.

What do you think he's worth?

I haven't seen much of Crowder so I can only go off his statistical profile, but Green is a substantially better defender (DRtg of 98 vs. 108 for Crowder) and has a much higher WS/48 (.119 vs. .089). Green also has a better PER, despite it being primarily an offensive stat.

Even just going off the eye test, you can see Green is a plus defender who can cover multiple positions and a good hustle guy without being useless on offense. Obviously he's not a guy you can build a team around but he's the kind of piece most teams would want. I'd say given the depth of this draft, late 1st, early 2nd round pick?
Texas Chuck

Post#39 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Crowder is a pretty good defender, but Dallas isnt a good defending team so his drtg isnt going to be as impressive. They guard different kinds of players as Rick uses Jae mainly to defend wings and PGs on occasion. Green may well be a slightly better defender, but not as much at drtg shows. We dont have anybody close to Bogut or Iggy to impact games defensively. David Lee shows to be a significant better defender than Dirk for example using that stat and I dont think anyone really thinks thats true. And Curry better than Harris which we know isnt

But yeah I like Green. He is a good defender and he plays hard. I just think he has limited skills and what he does can be replaced without too much difficulty.

But I could be lowballing him.
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#40 » by Knosh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Knosh,

I think both guys have positive impact on the game. But I think a lot of that has to do with being put into the best possible situation to succeed playing against mostly backups. It doesnt hurt that both guys make very little. By the same token, they simply don't have much trade value because you could go sign a Dahntay or a DeShawn or a number of other veteran street FAs who could come in and defend and scrap in limited minutes.

Maybe a late 2 is too low, but I doubt they could get a pick above 40. Those picks are too valuable because those players would make even less and you could control them for longer if you chose to.

adjusted +/- stats take lineups into account, so the fact that they play mostly against backups shouldn't invalidate those numbers.

I can't talk about Green, cause I don't watch the GS enough/pay attention to Green, but look at who Crowder is guarding when he is out there. Just from memory he was on Ginobili, Conley and Reddick in those games in April. Those are some real NBA players, so it really isn't a case of him looking like a good defender by the numbers just because he is playing aganist backups. I don't feel like we are seeing a ton of teams putting much bench-only lineups out there anymore. Most of the time there is some quality perimeter player out there and Crowder usually gets the toughest assignment on defense.

And the difference between Crowder and those vets is that Dahntay and DeShawn actually didn't look like good defenders anymore going by RAPM and such.

Return to Trades and Transactions