Amir Johnson for 2014 1st round pick

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Re: Amir Johnson for 2014 1st round pick 

Post#41 » by verbal8 » Wed May 7, 2014 11:14 am

kingstyyyle wrote:I could see PHX facilitating a trade such as:

PHX out- 18th pick, $5 mil., and 28th pick
PHX in- 7th pick Outlaw and Terry

Tor out-Amir Johnson
Tor in- 18th pick

Sac out- 7th pick, Outlaw and Terry
Sac in- $5 Mil., A. Johnson and 28th pick

Phoenix consolidates assets to move up in the draft

Toronto gets their first rounder for Amir

Sacramento gets cap relief, a decent player and a late 1st for the 7th pick

I don't think anyone is selling the 7th pick in this draft. Something like the 14th and 18th for the 7th might happen. The 18th should be enough to turn Terry into Amir Johnson or Salmons - depending on what their goal is.
kingstyyyle
Senior
And1: 179

Post#42 » by kingstyyyle » Wed May 7, 2014 4:50 pm

verbal8 wrote:

Tor out-Amir Johnson
Tor in- 18th pick

I don't think anyone is selling the 7th pick in this draft. Something like the 14th and 18th for the 7th might happen. The 18th should be enough to turn Terry into Amir Johnson or Salmons - depending on what their goal is.

Sacramento isn't just selling their pick. They're getting rid of $8,850,313 of contracts receiving $5 in cash and Amir Johnson. They get outta cap hell receive a decent player and a pick for the 7th. As a Suns fan I'd rather just deal the 14th and 18th for the 7th and not take back any $ but that doesn't do Sac any good. Toronto gets their 1st rounder for Amir also. I guess the Suns could add the 14th to Sac. but I couldn't see the Suns taking on that $ and giving up all their picks to move up 7 spaces.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#43 » by verbal8 » Wed May 7, 2014 5:03 pm

kingstyyyle wrote:
verbal8 wrote:

Tor out-Amir Johnson
Tor in- 18th pick

Sacramento isn't just selling their pick. They're getting rid of $8,850,313 of contracts receiving $5 in cash and Amir Johnson. They get outta cap hell receive a decent player and a pick for the 7th. As a Suns fan I'd rather just deal the 14th and 18th for the 7th and not take back any $ but that doesn't do Sac any good. Toronto gets their 1st rounder for Amir also. I guess the Suns could add the 18th to Sac. but we would take out the Terry contract if we added another pick.

I could see this being the deal:

TOR
out: Amir Johnson
in: Terry, 18th pick

PHX
out:14th, 18th pick
in: 7th pick

SAC
out: Terry, 7th pick
in: 14th pick

If Sacramento likes the options at 14, trading down and turning Terry's contract into a productive player may be appealing. They have a lot of bad contracts, but they still should be under the luxury tax next year.
kingstyyyle
Senior
And1: 179

Post#44 » by kingstyyyle » Wed May 7, 2014 5:11 pm

verbal8 wrote:
kingstyyyle wrote:
verbal8 wrote:

Sacramento isn't just selling their pick. They're getting rid of $8,850,313 of contracts receiving $5 in cash and Amir Johnson. They get outta cap hell receive a decent player and a pick for the 7th. As a Suns fan I'd rather just deal the 14th and 18th for the 7th and not take back any $ but that doesn't do Sac any good. Toronto gets their 1st rounder for Amir also. I guess the Suns could add the 18th to Sac. but we would take out the Terry contract if we added another pick.

TOR

PHX

SAC

If Sacramento likes the options at 14, trading down and turning Terry's contract into a productive player may be appealing. They have a lot of bad contracts, but they still should be under the luxury tax next year.

MUCH better trade than mine LOL. I didn't think Toronto would want to take Terry and I'm still not sure if getting rid of Terry is worth trading back 7 spaces from Sacramento's perspective but I like it better for the Suns.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,457

Post#45 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 7, 2014 5:20 pm

kingstyyyle wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
kingstyyyle wrote:Sacramento isn't just selling their pick. They're getting rid of $8,850,313 of contracts receiving $5 in cash and Amir Johnson. They get outta cap hell receive a decent player and a pick for the 7th. As a Suns fan I'd rather just deal the 14th and 18th for the 7th and not take back any $ but that doesn't do Sac any good. Toronto gets their 1st rounder for Amir also. I guess the Suns could add the 18th to Sac. but we would take out the Terry contract if we added another pick.

TOR

PHX

SAC

MUCH better trade than mine LOL. I didn't think Toronto would want to take Terry and I'm still not sure if getting rid of Terry is worth trading back 7 spaces from Sacramento's perspective but I like it better for the Suns.

14 and 21 last year got 9th in a bad draft. And that was for Trey Burke, who no one considered as good as Vonleh/Smart project to be. Not close. Burke looked great this year, but few expected that.

Moving up from 21 to 18 doesn't nearly do enough to move up from 9th to 7th. Not even close.

And somehow the idea of "saving Sac money by trading back" has been lost here. Your original deal saved Sac 1 million dollars next season..... This deal actually adds money.

This deal works possibly if Phx takes on Landry.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#46 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 7, 2014 5:36 pm

Is he a UFA after next year? I like him, but if he's a rental it's hard to imagine a team giving up a first.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#47 » by Xman » Wed May 7, 2014 5:59 pm

First - If Amir is worth what some are claiming - then Toronto needs to keep him and start him.

Toronto should be looking at adding another SG or SF - according to the comments here. Lowry, JVal and Amir have 3 of the positions well covered. DD is doing well - just decide if he is playing 2 or 3 then upgrade the other position. Oh, wait - TRoss is there also. Sounds like Toronto is perfect and should win the championship.

Seriously, Toronto has some good pieces and depth (some overpaid). Two $1mil buyout contracts (Hansbrough, Salmons), #20, 2 2nds, lower of NY/Denver in 2016 1st - should equal some trade bait to make a move.
But, why deal Amir unless you are getting a pick in the 4-7 range (Randle or Vonleh)? Or, a stud back - packaging Amir with the trade assets.
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#48 » by Skeezo » Wed May 7, 2014 8:00 pm

Being a Toronto fan, Amir is the one player I will admit to being a bit of a homer on... There are intangibles, loyalty, in addition to his advance stats that make me this way...

Some Raptor fans are worried of him breaking down, and with one year left on his deal see him as one of the core pieces that are expendable to improve the team either via the draft or trade. As much as I understand some of these sentiments and partially agree. I still would not sacrifice Amir unless it was something major. Completely understand why this would make it difficult to get a deal with other teams and I am completely fine with that.

-Amir will still only be 28yrs old when his deal is done and easily has another 3/4 years left of top productivity
-Believe he can be kept in Toronto at a hometown discount
-If Toronto is going to upgrade the PF position, I would rather keep Amir as the back-up over Patterson

So unless Tor is getting a major upgrade in a player or somehow utilizing #20 pick along with Johnson to move up in the Top 10 of the draft I wouldn't be all that interested. As I said earlier, this is probably unlikely which to me I am completely fine with & Amir can stay at home.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#49 » by Xman » Wed May 7, 2014 8:23 pm

I think to make sure they get a stud pf in the draft - needs to be #7 (Vonleh or Gordon) but might get lucky at #8.

So, package assets:
Tor - sends - Fields, Salmons, Hansbrough, Hayes, lower of NY/Denver in 2016 1st , #20, #37, #59, Amir (7)
gets - #7, JThompson
Sacr - sends -#7, JThompson, JTerry, Outlaw, $3mil
gets - Amir, #32
Philly - sends - #32
gets - $3mil, lower of NY/Denver in 2016 1st , #20, #37, #59, Hayes, Fields, JTerry, Outlaw, Salmons, Hansbrough

Toronto gets the pick to add Vonleh (or Gordon), plus it adds a decent backup c/pf in Thompson (slightly overpaid but not too bad). Sacramento clears the $$ to sign Isiah, gets a high 2nd and Amir (note Amir could moved elsewhere if needed). Philly adds picks for eating expiring salary (23mil plus Salmons and Hansbrough) but get $3mil to pay the $2 mil due to Salmons and Hansbrough - so net eating $22 mil (almost seems like Philly needs more so could add a pick form TOR or TO keeps Hayes).
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#50 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed May 7, 2014 10:58 pm

jimmy keys wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
WhatsaTDot wrote:Actually the opinion I commented on was that Raps fan believed he had mythical value. Clearly fans from other teams believe he has similar value. These views are shared by fans from more than one fanbase, as suggested by evidence here.

Don't worry though, no trade will actually happen based on what fans from message board forums believe.

lol, yet fail to describe why he has 1st round pick value. Which was my question. and you still fail to see that fans from other teams also think he doesn't have that value. Your basis for measurement is flawed. i also never said "only" rap fans. But as evidence by this thread, majority are from rap fans.

I think Amir has mid first round value.

He has great advanced metrics, but his real value comes from the little intangibles that don't appear on the stat sheet. He's the perfect first big off your bench.

- Defends both the 4 & 5 well.
- Can hit mid range jumper, but has great shot selection and puts himself in a position to make high % shots.
- Great teammate.
- Is paid a very reasonable 7 mil for next season.
- He would be a top 8 rotation player on any team.

I guess a pick from 21 and up would make some sense. It would depend on teams need, do you want to draft a player that could eventually become amir, or does the team need a Amir type player right now and have the cap space for him.

I'd only consider taking on a reasonably bad contract if the pick was in the late lotto, otherwise Toronto would be glad to just keep him.

Another option is to combine Amir + Ross + 20th pick + Salmons + future picks and try and land a star 4. By himself he's worth a mid first easy in my (trying my best to not be bias) opinion.

Depending on who gets drafted int he top 3, that would probably have to be DD(whom is making me eat some serious crow) included. There seem to be 3-4 elite prospects in this draft.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,457

Post#51 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 7, 2014 11:55 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:Another option is to combine Amir + Ross + 20th pick + Salmons + future picks and try and land a star 4. By himself he's worth a mid first easy in my (trying my best to not be bias) opinion.

Depending on who gets drafted int he top 3, that would probably have to be DD(whom is making me eat some serious crow) included. There seem to be 3-4 elite prospects in this draft.

I actually think Amir, Ross, 20th, and two 2016 firsts for a star is reasonable value with the ability to eat a bad contract (Salmons).. But it calls for a weird trading partner. It's definitely not a top 5 pick package as - those teams have no reason to accept quarters-on-dollar

Amir would imply the team is trying to retool, like the Wolves would do if it were a Love trade.. But the 2016 firsts would best fit with a team rebuilding.. like the Knicks would do..

And taking Amir out of the package - makes it questionable firsts and a decent prospect.. Which doesn't do it. Maybe something like what the people were posting earlier..

Sac - 7th, Landry, Outlaw
Sac - Amir, 20th, 34th, 3 mil of Gay TPE
Tor - Amir, Salmons, Hansbrough, Ross, 20th, 34th, 2015 first, 2016 best first they own (either NYK/DEN or their own), Gay TPE
Toronto - Landry, Outlaw, and a star
Third team - Star
Third team - 7th, Ross, 2015 first, 2016 first, UNG deals of Salmons/Hansbrough

That model has the salary room to fit Horford, LMA, Love, etc.. Melo would work if the Knicks took on Hayes - But that is too much value for a Melo S&T, which could help balance the value for Sac..

Sac - 7th, Terry,Thompson
Sac- Amir, Ross, 20th,Stone
NYK - Melo, Felton
Nyk - Terry, Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks, 7th, 2015 first, 2016 worst first Toronto owns, 3.6 Mil TPE
Toronto - Amir, Salmons, Hansbrough, Ross, Stone, Buycks, 20th, 2015 first, 2016 worst first they own, Gay TPE
Toronto - Melo, Fatboy, Thompson

Sac gets two really good fitting pieces and some long term cap savings.
NYK gets whoever was drafted at 7th, an insane amount of savings, and two more future firsts (too much value) as well as getting out of Fattys deal
Toronto hopes Jonas develops into as Lowry/Melo/Demar could be something great if he does..
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#52 » by jimmy keys » Thu May 8, 2014 8:27 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
lol, yet fail to describe why he has 1st round pick value. Which was my question. and you still fail to see that fans from other teams also think he doesn't have that value. Your basis for measurement is flawed. i also never said "only" rap fans. But as evidence by this thread, majority are from rap fans.

I think Amir has mid first round value.

He has great advanced metrics, but his real value comes from the little intangibles that don't appear on the stat sheet. He's the perfect first big off your bench.

- Defends both the 4 & 5 well.
- Can hit mid range jumper, but has great shot selection and puts himself in a position to make high % shots.
- Great teammate.
- Is paid a very reasonable 7 mil for next season.
- He would be a top 8 rotation player on any team.

I guess a pick from 21 and up would make some sense. It would depend on teams need, do you want to draft a player that could eventually become amir, or does the team need a Amir type player right now and have the cap space for him.

I'd only consider taking on a reasonably bad contract if the pick was in the late lotto, otherwise Toronto would be glad to just keep him.

Another option is to combine Amir + Ross + 20th pick + Salmons + future picks and try and land a star 4. By himself he's worth a mid first easy in my (trying my best to not be bias) opinion.

Yeah I think that's the direction the Raptors should be going. Consolidate all their assets into a 2 star players if possible a la Houston. Everyone should be available.

Return to Trades and Transactions