2014 FA buyers remorse thread

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Re: 2014 FA buyers remorse thread 

Post#21 » by BeesWax » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:30 am

Underkanter wrote:Hopefully Gordon Hayward

Depends on if you mean traded or just put out there. His trade kicker plus high salary make him hard to move.
Spoiler:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:27 am

jdm3 wrote:

Depends on if you mean traded or just put out there. His trade kicker plus high salary make him hard to move.

Utah would have to pay the entire trade kicker, I believe. Can't even be negotiated between the two teams as part of the deal. Part of the new CBA.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#23 » by Foshan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:40 am

I think by the trade deadline a lot of the deals that have been signed are going to look really really bad.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,531

Post#24 » by HornetJail » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:59 am

avon barksdale wrote:

Well he has a one year no trade clause so I doubt he qualifies

Wrong. The only restriction he has for a year is that Charlotte can't trade for him for 12 months after the offer was matched.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#25 » by JoseRizal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 am

Meeks, Gordon & Frye. Take your pick...
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#26 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:11 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
avon barksdale wrote:

Wrong. The only restriction he has for a year is that Charlotte can't trade for him for 12 months after the offer was matched.

Pretty sure Hayward has a no trade clause for a year.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#27 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 am

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:
avon barksdale wrote:Well he has a one year no trade clause so I doubt he qualifies

Pretty sure Hayward has a no trade clause for a year.

You're both right. He's tradeable to anyone but Charlotte for this league year. However, Haywood does also have the right to refuse a trade for this season.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#28 » by Mykhyn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:42 am

Doddage wrote:This thread starts and ends with Channing Frye.

Fyre could be a very underrated signing.

How many people in the league have his skill set? Yes it might be a year too early but no one comparable would be available next year. It allows them to have a hard to fill role filled for a relatively good price.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#29 » by Winglish » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:11 am

Today 3:12 pm by Underkanter
Hopefully Gordon Hayward

Mark my words: Gordon Hayward is going to look a lot better in a pass happy offense that runs the floor. He'll still be overpaid, but it won't hurt as much as you think.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#30 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:02 am

1) CLE because if Lebron does not get a ring he will bolt again.

2) LAL Kobe extension is going to feel bad for its duration

3) Evan Turner because a team with Rondo does not need another non-shooter

4) Pau Gasol because he is going to hurt chemistry if Bulls don't move Taj

5) Melo because a no-trade clause basically means he won't be moved unless he wants to be. He is a GREAT player, but if the other Knicks don't perform to their best-case the team is heading towards a treadmill. There is no savior in 2015 FA and the draft pick will likely not be a great lottery selection.

6) Lowry has fit the mold of "contract player" so I expect a down year and Raps fans calling for his head.

7) Chandler Parsons: He is a good player overall, but Dirk has only thrived when surrounded by players known for defense. Parsons will be great in terms of scoring, but they are lacking that defensive piece to disturb Durant/Kobe/scoring wing players.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#31 » by avon barksdale » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:08 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
avon barksdale wrote:

At least if youre going to be so definitive in your response make sure you're right. All rfa whose offer sheets are matched can veto any trade within the first year
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#32 » by avon barksdale » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 am

Cklbmk wrote:
Doddage wrote:This thread starts and ends with Channing Frye.

Fyre could be a very underrated signing.

How many people in the league have his skill set? Yes it might be a year too early but no one comparable would be available next year. It allows them to have a hard to fill role filled for a relatively good price.

His skillset? He's a stretch big a lot of those in this league
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#33 » by Prospect Dong » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:After we got Marshall the Bayless contract looks even worse than it already was. Now he's the fourth best option at either SG or PG instead of the third.

I'd definitely take Bayless over Marshall at the 2, and maybe even at the 1, depending on how much of Marshal''s success was specific to the offence he played in. Or do you mean you already had two better players at the 2 already?
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#34 » by melo mvp 15 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:15 am

Meeks, Frye, Young, and Bradley. Although Bradley can live up to it, I just don't think it's unlikely. Gortat was a really huge deal, but they really couldn't let him walk so I don't think they'll regret it.

Ben Gordon, Jordan Hill, and Marvin Williams are all overpaid, but 2 year deals can't be that bad.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#35 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:17 am

Prospect Dong wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:After we got Marshall the Bayless contract looks even worse than it already was. Now he's the fourth best option at either SG or PG instead of the third.

I'd definitely take Bayless over Marshall at the 2, and maybe even at the 1, depending on how much of Marshal''s success was specific to the offence he played in. Or do you mean you already had two better players at the 2 already?

Marshall, Wolters and Knight are certainly better at point guard and Knight, Mayo and Middleton are certainly better at the 2.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#36 » by Prospect Dong » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:19 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:

Marshall, Wolters and Knight are certainly better at point guard and Knight, Mayo and Middleton are certainly better at the 2.

Ok ,that makes sense, thanks. I agree, btw, weird signing.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#37 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:39 am

Prospect Dong wrote:Ok ,that makes sense, thanks. I agree, btw, weird signing.

We do it almost every year, seems to be a Hammond thing. We have a small hole to fill (in this case before we got Marshall we needed a third string point guard/shooting guard) but instead of going out and picking up a third string point guard we go out and get the best possible player we can (which isn't saying much in most cases).
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#38 » by Lindecision » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:10 am

Prokorov wrote:Hawes... drastically overpaid

That's just ridiculous. :lol:
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#39 » by theatlfan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:08 am

I think there is a lot riding on the new TV contract in this year's FA class. I saw one projection having the '16-'17 cap a little North of $80M, but the player's won't get the hike in pay even if they were maxed. If true, Hayward's y3 pay would be << someone of similar experience getting the max that season. We'll see a lot more buyer's remorse if those projections aren't as good as some are thinking...

Even so, in the spirit of the thread I have to think that Avery Bradley will prove to be the clear winner but I'd add 2 more names for consideration: Chris Bosh and Marcin Gortat. In both cases, the team resigning the player was desperate to retain him (MIA due to LBJ's defection; WASH due to trading a #1 for Gortat and also wanting to keep a feel good team together) so they paid handsomely to do so. Both are good players and the y1 shouldn't be too bad (and hence why I wouldn't promote them for #1 on this list) but somewhere in the 5 years they are signed I think the contract could become an albatross for these teams to endure regardless of where the cap is.
asudevil
Analyst
And1: 689

Post#40 » by asudevil » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 am

Gonna go out on a limb and say Boris Diaw.

Return to Trades and Transactions