Official (Stein) Jameer to sign with DAL for room exception

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,704

Re: Rumor (Stein) Jameer to sign with DAL for room exception 

Post#21 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:24 am

Cklbmk wrote:I like it..

I'd like to see them snatch up Aminu or Marion and someone like Toney Douglas to shore up their defense a bit. Other than that I like the team pretty well.

I wonder whats going on with Okafor.. He'd be amazing as a backup....or maybe Udoh

Aminu and Oak(even if he isnt ready to start the season) top my wish list for Dallas. Not opposed to Udoh and would love Matrix back(but no chance he stays for the minimum). Hadn't even thought about Douglas really. Can he guard 2's?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#22 » by Darren » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:37 am

pacers33granger wrote:A question for Mavs fans though, what is the plan with Felton? I know he was necessary to take in order to get Chandler, but is the plan to hope he can regain is form under Carlisle (I think he could, Carlisle won't ask him to do too much like he was in NY) or is it just to let him basically sit and try like hell to move him for anything at all?

According to source, the plan is like that:
SG - Monta Ellis - Devin Harris
PG - Jameer Nelson - Raymond Felton
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#23 » by Mykhyn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:57 am

Chuck Texas wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:I like it..

I'd like to see them snatch up Aminu or Marion and someone like Toney Douglas to shore up their defense a bit. Other than that I like the team pretty well.

I wonder whats going on with Okafor.. He'd be amazing as a backup....or maybe Udoh

Aminu and Oak(even if he isnt ready to start the season) top my wish list for Dallas. Not opposed to Udoh and would love Matrix back(but no chance he stays for the minimum). Hadn't even thought about Douglas really. Can he guard 2's?

Kinda. He's not guarding super tall ones.. but he could guard most.

I don't see whos going to give Marion much more than the minimum tbh. Not many suiters left.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#24 » by Darren » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 am

I can't wait to welcome Nelson and say goodbye to Mekel and perhaps Felton.
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#25 » by melo mvp 15 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:35 am

That's a great value signing. Sure Nelson has been wildly underwhelming recently, but that's been as a starting PG. It's basically the exact same situation as Felton. The difference is that Felton's highs were never as high as Nelson's.

The Mavs have 3 good back up PGs and no clear starter. There's not a single team that would give them a starting PG for two of them, so they're going to have either hope one of them can have a major revitalization (all 3 have been good starting PG somewhat recently) or depend heavily on Ellis for play making/ball handling. I would've gone with Mo over Jameer, but I have a feeling that's Mo is still looking for more money.

And when Felton was a Knick, I always said that I thought Nelson was slightly better. Not enough so to warrant giving up an asset for the minor upgrade... but enough to look at bringing in Nelson for cheap as a FA- which is exactly what Dallas has done.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#26 » by pacers33granger » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:43 am

Chuck Texas wrote:

Looks like you got your wish:

Chris Haynes: Free agent forward Al-Farouq Aminu has reached an agreement with Dallas, league sources inform @CSNNW.
Texas Chuck

Post#27 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:44 am

pacers33granger wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:

Looks like you got your wish:

Chris Haynes: Free agent forward Al-Farouq Aminu has reached an agreement with Dallas, league sources inform @CSNNW.

Yeah the reason I wanted ihm was because he was young, defends, and most importantly rebounds really well for a 3. Neither Dirk not Wright are good rebounders at this point which was part of why Marion was a good fit. Aminu helps off-set some of what we lost in Marion.

Great value signing for Dallas. This off-season is going great.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#28 » by The Sparest » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:30 am

pacers33granger wrote:A question for Mavs fans though, what is the plan with Felton? I know he was necessary to take in order to get Chandler, but is the plan to hope he can regain is form under Carlisle (I think he could, Carlisle won't ask him to do too much like he was in NY) or is it just to let him basically sit and try like hell to move him for anything at all?

The Mavs are probably hoping a change of scenery and chance to contend will revitalize Felton and he will bounce back (not to mention he could opt out next season to get another contract.)

If he bounces back, then he becomes either a useful part of the team, or at least a more tradeable asset.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#29 » by The59Sound » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Love this deal! I'd probably make Nelson the nominal starter but have Harris get more minutes overall. Thank God they won't have to put Felton in the rotation.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#30 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Knosh wrote:Maybe Orlando fans can chime in here, but from what I have seen from him and going by his stats, he didn't look all that great last season. Better than Mo Williams I guess, but I still expect to see plenty of Felton next season.

Jameer can be a frustrating player to watch sometimes. He has this habit of taking really long heat check 3 pointers. He doesn't drive to the hole as well as he used to either, but he still can get there occasionally. His biggest problem is D, he doesn't really try that hard and doesn't have the size to do much when he does try. The big thing about him is he is a professional through and through. He is a leader and a great guy to have in the locker room as well.

No offense to Dallas fans, but I wonder why the hell did he sign there? I thought he would sign a smaller contract on a legit contending team.
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#31 » by avon barksdale » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:52 pm

tranjSAIC"][quote="Knosh wrote:Maybe Orlando fans can chime in here, but from what I have seen from him and going by his stats, he didn't look all that great last season. Better than Mo Williams I guess, but I still expect to see plenty of Felton next season.

Jameer can be a frustrating player to watch sometimes. He has this habit of taking really long heat check 3 pointers. He doesn't drive to the hole as well as he used to either, but he still can get there occasionally. His biggest problem is D, he doesn't really try that hard and doesn't have the size to do much when he does try. The big thing about him is he is a professional through and through. He is a leader and a great guy to have in the locker room as well.

No offense to Dallas fans, but I wonder why the hell did he sign there? I thought he would sign a smaller contract on a legit contending team.[/quote]
No offense taken but to answer your question we're one of the best possible teams to build a guys free agent value look at the deals tyson barea Blair Vince mahinmi all got when they left compared to when they came, in addition we have a glaring hole at pg the only other teams in the league that are far and away better are sas okc and possibly lac Parker wb and Paul are all perennial all stars so he'd get spot minutes in those places as for the teams on par with us Houston Memphis gsw porl Indy Chicago have Conley rose curry and lillard, and I don't know what his relationship with Howard is now or why hou didn't make an offer
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Post#32 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 pm

I like the Mavs offseason, but I really feel like they needed a backup SG more than another PG. I think they would have been fine with Harris and Felton. At SG behind Ellis, they don't have much at all. None of the SFs are really fits to play SG. The best bet there is Ledo and I don't think he's ready for that at all. I guess Harris becomes the backup SG by default.

Who are realistic options for the minimum at this point? Jordan Crawford (not sure if he'll play for the minimum or not) or Chris Douglas-Roberts look like the best bets to me. Maybe they hope a camp guy can stick? Or maybe I am making too much of it to begin with! :)
Texas Chuck

Post#33 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:45 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:
No offense to Dallas fans, but I wonder why the hell did he sign there? I thought he would sign a smaller contract on a legit contending team.

It's tough to really pinpoint Dallas. We were a top 10 team last year despite being a 8 seed and we gave the Spurs by far their toughest challenge in the PS. And I think the additions we have made so far outweigh the losses. So you could make a case that the Mavs are one of the contending teams you are talking about.

OTOH we are clearly a notch below the big 3 out West: OKC, LAC, and SAS and other than Houston none of the other playoff teams really took a step back so its still a crowded field in the West. Signing with say the Pacers who need a PG would seem to maybe be a better fit.

But my guess is if Im a PG looking to take a one year deal to try and rebuild some value to maybe get one last long-term deal I could do a lot worse than go to an offense with Dirk,Parson,Ellis, and Chandler in the starting lineup. PG's are judged on offense and this team gives him a chance to look really good and he will have tons of open shots playing next to Dirk and Monta.
supermelo
Banned User
And1: 27

Post#34 » by supermelo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:02 am

MIA wrote:I really like what Dallas has done... Defense will be the deciding factor of their success tho.

Meer, Monta, Dirk, and Parsons all in the starting 5 could get dicey.

AGREE! Meer is the best PG of them, because Meer has more 3PT Dallas need...
http://www.fansboard.com/playerAbility? ... ond-Felton
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Re: Official (Stein) Jameer to sign with DAL for room except 

Post#35 » by kombayn » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:37 am

The Mavericks are going to look to unload Ray Felton to a different team. I don't think he's in the teams plans, I could suspect a Ray Felton for Alonzo Gee deal.

Return to Trades and Transactions